PDA

View Full Version : First camp in HH Safari zip bug net

OldnSlow
08-06-2008, 14:23
THis last weekend was my first overnight camping, away from the house and all. I set up the hammock between rain showers. I knew the rain was not going to quit altogether, so I knew this was going to be a good test for the comfort of the Safari, and the effectiveness of the new bug net, and the hex fly that came standard with the Safari. As it was raining, I decided to hit the hay relatively early. By 2130 hours, I was assuming the sleep position. I utilized a wal mart blue ccf pad, 27 inches wide, and long enough to basically cover the area from one pull out to the other pull out. I used a synthetic sleeping bag rated to about 20* farenheight, with the foot box zippered, and the rest as a quilt. I tucked the sides of the bag under my elbows as they tended to get cool during the night. I slept very well, until 0430, which is my usual getting up period. I experimented during the night, and determined that the ccf pad was necessary, especially as the temperature fell to about 10*c (50*f). I could quite comfortably sleep on my side, in a fetal position, as well as on my back. I am VERY pleased with the Safari, even if it is not the most lightweight hammock available. I am further waiting to test the DD hammock in real camping situations.

John

slowhike
08-06-2008, 16:04
Good to hear that things went well on your 1st trip away from home w/ the new hammock. That's a similar insulation combo to what I used for quite a while.
Many more happy hangs to ya.