PDA

View Full Version : JRB in deluge

BillyBob58
08-08-2008, 16:42
Instead of our drought like conditions in recent months, I finally got a chance to put my JRB to the test with my Claytor, with out a RL. I had been planning to put the hammock/tarp up latter in the day for a test, as we had about a 40% chance of rain or storms forecast.

But about 1300 I heard distant thunder. So I decide to go ahead and set it up. I grab my JRB 10x11, which is in snake skins. But then I glance at the radar and see a huge red cell quickly approaching. So I run out side, and as soon as I get into the back yard, I see a dark black sky not far to the west. It turns out that sucker is coming in fast. I put the tarp up in a real hurry, as the thunder and lightening are getting too close for comfort. I grab my Claytor No Net and hang it in a hurry, with enough sag ( normal amount) so that the cinch buckles on one end and biner on the other are just covered by the tarp. I had not managed to get the tarps middle guy outs to stakes ( I had to hammer in all stakes from scratch), and just got the forth stake in the ground and tarp guyed out when the storm hit. I run inside with the rain hitting me.
( Sorry, but I was not going to lay out in severe lightning unless forced to on the trail. )

As soon as I got in an saw the weather channel, I said "Uh Oh, mistake- my tarp and hammock are going to be torn up". The warning was for a severe thunderstorm with winds to 60 mph, trees being knocked down. Plus, my wife gets me to run back out and close a vent on the travel trailer, and the wind nearly knocks me down. I notice that the garbage can has been blown to the middle of the road.

As I am having a sandwich for lunch, I look out the back towards the tarp. I have no elastics on it yet, and as soon as the water hit it loosened up. As I watch in dismay, the tarp is connected with very little tension and is whipping around like crazy, along with the nearby trees. You would not believe the contortions that tarp was going through. I did not think it would even survive without something tearing. In addition, I can see the empty hammock flopping around insanely under the tarp. We got a good 2" of wind driven rain in about 30 minutes, then about another inch over the following hour or so.

As soon as the lightening passed, I threw on some rain gear and went out to assess the damage. First I got the tarp tightened up, plus staked out the middle guy lines. Now she was tight as a drum. BTW, this was no "storm" pitch, just a normal fairly wide "a" frame pitch.

When I got under the tarp, I was shocked to see that the hammock was totally dry except for a few drops on the extreme foot end. Which had not even soaked into the hammock. I really thought the whole hammock would be soaked. Then I got in the hammock, and laid out there for the next half hour or so, with steady, sometimes heavy rain and wind continuing. I stayed until I heard/saw some more lightning coming in from the west. I could see the water (that was running down the strap on the head end) almost pouring off of the cinch buckle to ground! Though it was not exposed to direct rain. After it rained for over 2 hours, ( almost 3" total), water got past the CB, slightly wetting the rope connecting hammock to CB. Resulting in the first couple of inches of the hammock getting just a little damp.

On the other end, I had the stock Claytor webbing with a knot on the left side a couple of inches out from the hammock, and a carabiner in the bowline I had tied on the right side. By the time the rain had stopped, enough water had gotten past the knots to just barely wet the hammock on the end. It wasn't very wet, but it was noticeably damper than the slightly damp head end with the CB. So, I will add some kind of drip line to both ends if expecting many hours of heavy rain. But even as it was, no water got down far enough into the hammock to contact me. It was damp no more than just a few inches from the end. Also, I theorize that the stock Claytor ( and maybe also the CB) end would have done a little better if I had been in the hammock longer. Because my weight would have put more tension on the knots, possibly slowing up the water flow a little more. Maybe. Also, adding an additional knot or 2 to the Claytor webbing might help some more. But it wasn't terrible just as it was, I've had worse! Like the time I forgot to put drip lines on my Speer webbing when testing my PeaPod! :o

So there you have it. I consider this a very good result for the JRB tarp. This was, I think, a worst case scenario, because:

1: Had I been on a hike with rain gear, and no place to run to escape the lightening, I would have had all the time I needed to set the tarp up correctly, get all of the side guy outs secured, and quickly re-tighten as needed once the rain caused the sil-nylon to loosen. Or, better yet, I would have some elastics/tensioners.
2: I had NO shelter help from trees or ridges to help blunt the wind and wind driven rain. Just totally exposed hanging from a hammock stand
3: I had the 10 foot long Claytor No Net, which, with added coverage needed for bowlines and biners and CBs, really pushes the 11 foot RL of the JRB to the max. But, even without using a structural RL to shorten the hammock, just hanging with a moderate amount of sag provided adequate coverage in this severe storm. Once I laid in the hammock, with my weight pulling the ends towards the middle, it looked like I had a good six inches of tarp out past the CB or biner on each end. If I had been in my HH Exp, Speer or JRB BMBH, I would have had way past adequate coverage. Still, what I had was enough. Even without a storm pitch.
4: The tarp was very poorly pitched for the most severe part of the storm, flapping loosely in the very high wind. I still don't know why the hammock did not get wet. Once it was tightened up, the wind seemed a minor issue.

So, very good tarp, and excellent results IMO! :D

HappyCamper
08-08-2008, 17:21
Great report. Did you seamseal your tarp?

Over the 4th, I was at Dolly Sods, WV where it rained and rained and rained Thursday through to Sunday when I left. I had a running stream under my hammock (not by choice!) and we were wondering how long my JRB tarp would last under such a long deluge. But it was absolutely fine.

Glad you had similar experience!

I live on top of a big hill and I've done the setup in my backyard when it was so windy that my tarp kinda turned into a parasail. I've recently gotten a pair of snake skins to see if I can keep it under better control while trying to setup. Do you think they help with setup in windy conditions?

Mule
08-08-2008, 17:24
That's a #%&* fine gear review Billybob. Made me feel like I was there. Thanks, Mule

BillyBob58
08-08-2008, 21:50
Great report. Did you seamseal your tarp?

Over the 4th, I was at Dolly Sods, WV where it rained and rained and rained Thursday through to Sunday when I left. I had a running stream under my hammock (not by choice!) and we were wondering how long my JRB tarp would last under such a long deluge. But it was absolutely fine.

Glad you had similar experience!

I live on top of a big hill and I've done the setup in my backyard when it was so windy that my tarp kinda turned into a parasail. I've recently gotten a pair of snake skins to see if I can keep it under better control while trying to setup. Do you think they help with setup in windy conditions?

Yes, I seam sealed it with the silicon stuff in the tube from the auto parts store a couple of months ago. Not a drop came through, I didn't even notice any misting, though I expected that. I'll probably see that when the tarp is a little more used, I guess.

To me, the skins seem to be very handy, and fast, for set up in high winds. I may not use skins on my hammock in the future, because I've kind of got to liking un-doing one end and then stuffing in a sack as I walk towards the other end which is still attached. That seems real slick lately. But I think I'll stick to the skins for the tarp. That works real good for me.

BillyBob58
08-08-2008, 21:51
That's a #%&* fine gear review Billybob. Made me feel like I was there. Thanks, Mule

Thanks, Mule.

BillyBob58
08-08-2008, 22:08
P.S. :
If you hang the Claytor with very little sag, the cinch buckles are very close to the ends of the tarp, and may not have enough coverage. Although, that might still be barely adequate when you get in, weight it, pulling the ends towards the center a bit. Also, if your rope or webbing to the rings/cinch buckles is very long, you might have trouble. I try to keep mine down to as few inches as possible. You don't have to be nearly so careful with 8 or 9 foot long hammocks.

headchange4u
08-08-2008, 22:16
That is a great report and a hell of an endorsement for the JRB tarp. Makes me feel glad I bought one while they were on sale.

Narwhalin
08-08-2008, 22:22
Nice review, BB58! Like mule said, I felt like I was there... :)

BillyBob58
08-08-2008, 22:24
That is a great report and a hell of an endorsement for the JRB tarp. Makes me feel glad I bought one while they were on sale.

Yeah, my step son bought one on the last day of the sale, but the lazy rascal has not seam sealed it yet! He better get on it, not even 4 weeks until the Rockies!

He and his buddy ( both swat team guys on the force here) will be on their first hammock trip. They both spent the last two years laughing at me and my other fellow hanger, but they have suddenly both converted. With no encouragement from me, just a result of their own observations on the last two trips. I think it has something to do with perceived relative comfort. :D Plus, they both spent a lot of time under my tarp during all day drizzles last year, rather than in their tent. Them on the ground, beside me- lounging in a HH seat style. I wonder why they converted? :rolleyes:

HappyCamper
08-09-2008, 05:59
To me, the skins seem to be very handy, and fast, for set up in high winds. I may not use skins on my hammock in the future, because I've kind of got to liking un-doing one end and then stuffing in a sack as I walk towards the other end which is still attached. That seems real slick lately. But I think I'll stick to the skins for the tarp. That works real good for me.

Yes, this is how I plan to do it. Snakes skins for tarp. Then bag the hammock. Good to keep wet tarp separate from hammock.

Shug
08-10-2008, 10:11
Glad to hear about a success story!
Fun to read the exploits as my time has been very limited this summer.
Cheers,
Shug