PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a JRB Quilt To A Speer-Type Hammock?

headchange4u
02-02-2007, 17:57
I have a Nest and No Sniveller that I have used with my HH numerous times but I have yet to try and install one of these quilts on my Speer-type DIY hammock. I could probably figure it out with trail and error, but I thought I might seek the advice of the group. There may be others with the same questions.

1. Where is the best place to install the JRB suspension system?

2. Do the side loops go unused on a Speer-type hammock?

3. How far should the head and foot be sinched?

4. How do you adjust the sag of the under quilt? Just move the susension system?

5. Any other tips or tricks I should know of?

Coffee
02-03-2007, 00:35
I am still working on adjusting my nest using my homemade hammock. I had some issues last time I hung it. I think that was from me hanging it too lose and having air gaps.

Here are a couple thoughts. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I install mine on the straps. This is when I had the straps directly connecting to the hammock knot. I had to slide it back a ways. Now I use some spectra to attach the hammock to the straps. I still think I am going to put it on the straps. I think the standard JRB suspension is a little long to start with for what I was originally doing.

2. Don't use them.

3. Can't say for sure. A feel thing.

4. Yep, move the suspen up or shorten it by looping it around the straps.

5. I would also like to know it.

Just Jeff
02-03-2007, 09:33
I use a ridgeline on my Speer-type hammocks, and I found that I can get a much better fit with the underquilts if I tie a cord from the underquilt's side loops to the ridgeline. It holds the quilt up and snugs it up to the hammock better.

headchange4u
02-03-2007, 09:35
I use a ridgeline on my Speer-type hammocks, and I found that I can get a much better fit with the underquilts if I tie a cord from the underquilt's side loops to the ridgeline. It holds the quilt up and snugs it up to the hammock better.

Do you use bungie cord or standard guy line?

Just Jeff
02-03-2007, 09:36
I used regular old lightweight cord that I had in my pack. Maybe some elastic stuff would have worked better, but it was a field improv.

Peter_pan
02-03-2007, 13:55
Works on the Speer type same as all others.... Cinch the JRB SS on the suspension straps, place the overhand cinch at about the point of straps meeting hammock.... attach quilt and adjust SS, in or out, IAW standard directions....Cinch of the end cords should be to between 14-18 inches, if it is winter....You can simply loop the cinch cords over the hammock ends and tie together, if desired or leave loose... additional ridgeline rigging to support a UQ is not necessary... The side asym ladder loops go unused...although some join them by a string, again this should not be necessary if the Suspension System is properly employed.

Pan

Just Jeff
02-03-2007, 14:00
I think it also depends on the amount of sag for a particular hammock. I generally have a lot of sag in my hammocks, which makes fitting an underquilt a bit trickier.

blackbishop351
02-03-2007, 14:08
I haven't used one of the JRB quilts underneath yet, but I have used a KAQ under my homemade Speer-type. I had the same type fitting issues as are being discussed here, and I think Jeff's solution is probably the route I would go. Then again, the KAQ is VERY specifically designed to fit an asym hammock - the HH specifically - and that might be part of my problem.

The Breeze
02-03-2007, 17:11
mine fits great but im starting to think the super shelter is the way to go instead of a under quilt just more versital plus it is made for the hh with the hole and all:D

blackbishop351
02-03-2007, 17:22
mine fits great but im starting to think the super shelter is the way to go instead of a under quilt just more versital plus it is made for the hh with the hole and all:D

I'm not sold on the supershelter. You get a pad underneath, but I carry one of those anyway so I can add it to my sleep system whenever I want - or not. You get windblock and moisture protection (only on the bottom, unless you buy the overcover too), but my hammock sock takes care of that. That's on my homemade hammock, though - a sock/pod for the HH would require some design work as has been discussed on another thread.

Overall, I think the quilt system with an additional windblock like a pod or a sock is a much more versatile setup. I really don't see much flexibility to the supershelter at all.

The Breeze
02-03-2007, 17:48
I'm not sold on the supershelter. You get a pad underneath, but I carry one of those anyway so I can add it to my sleep system whenever I want - or not. You get windblock and moisture protection (only on the bottom, unless you buy the overcover too), but my hammock sock takes care of that. That's on my homemade hammock, though - a sock/pod for the HH would require some design work as has been discussed on another thread.

Overall, I think the quilt system with an additional windblock like a pod or a sock is a much more versatile setup. I really don't see much flexibility to the supershelter at all.

Im just saying if you are starting out and you are not the diy type as a package this is the way to go i think .plus less guess work just plug and play. plus its made for the hh in mind:rolleyes: :cool:

blackbishop351
02-03-2007, 17:57
Im just saying if you are starting out and you are not the diy type as a package this is the way to go i think .plus less guess work just plug and play. plus its made for the hh in mind:rolleyes: :cool:

I agree that it's probably easier to set up than a quilt when you're new...but then again, I don't know that I'd necessarily recommend newbies using hammocks in adverse weather to start out with, either :p Your buddy did OK though!

It's definitely made for the HH - the one I've seen in person looked like it fit really well. On the other hand, the KAQ is very well-designed for HH use too...

The Breeze
02-03-2007, 18:00
true that it fits realllllly good :cool:

stoikurt
02-03-2007, 19:05
I have both, though I'm still learning the JRB underquilt. There is very little learning curve or adjusting needed for the HH SS. I've been to about 29* with the HH SS, a 3/4 Ultralight Thermarest and a 20* REI UL down bag. I do like the fact that you can put your extra pad under the hammock and on the undercover and underpad and it will stay put. What I didn't like is that the undercover has elastic all around the top which causes it to squeeze in and make the net and hammock brush up against my face. It's also a little of a pain getting out because you have to use your foot to move the underpad over to get to the slit on the undercover. Not terrible, just more inconvenient when you have to take multiple bio breaks during the night.

I'm still learning how to adjust the JRB Nest. Last night I tested it. The temp go to 37 early this morning. I got in at 11. At 1 I adjusted to add a little more sag to the Nest; I thing I was compressing the bottom a little. At 3 I got cool again and had to tighten the 'windows' on the ends. I woke up again at 6 for another bio break but no adjustment. Slept till 8:30. I wore thin running shorts, a long sleeve poly tshirt and a balaclava and was warm with just my 20* REI bag and a 12X16 piece of WalMart Blue CCF to move around if I had cool spots.

This afternoon I had my son get in since he's my size. I adjusted the sides to the outer loop. The high was 44 today and should be even colder tonight so I'll probably test again.

Coffee
02-04-2007, 04:37
I am also not sold on the HH SS. I can make it down to 30-ish with a 1/2 inch ccp. To say that you added a pad with the standard SS setup makes me a little concerned with it. I just don't think the pad it comes with is thick enough to get any real use out of it.

blackbishop351
02-04-2007, 04:56
The SS is made in the same spirit as Tom's hammocks, I think - easy, ready to use right out of the box. Minimize the learning curve. I'm in a position now where I appreciate flexibility over simplicity on some things, though.

Just Jeff
02-04-2007, 07:20
The SS isn't breathable, either. I like being able to breathe. :D

stoikurt
02-04-2007, 17:05
I am also not sold on the HH SS. I can make it down to 30-ish with a 1/2 inch ccp. To say that you added a pad with the standard SS setup makes me a little concerned with it. I just don't think the pad it comes with is thick enough to get any real use out of it.

I agree. I don't think the pad that comes with it would get you down to lower temps by itself. It's only about 1/4" open cell foam. It does give you a little wrap around insulation for the sides where you're not compressing it much.

stoikurt
02-04-2007, 17:08
The SS isn't breathable, either. I like being able to breathe. :D

No, but it's loose enough that it probably gets a tiny bit of circulation. Especially since the top of the hammock is open. Also, most any pad you lie on is not breathable either and you'll be laying more directly on the pad allowing for more of a chance for condensation.

The Breeze
02-04-2007, 22:18
No, but it's loose enough that it probably gets a tiny bit of circulation. Especially since the top of the hammock is open. Also, most any pad you lie on is not breathable either and you'll be laying more directly on the pad allowing for more of a chance for condensation.

and most people use a top cover with the ss

Just Jeff
02-05-2007, 20:36

True. I have a bad time with condensation on almost every pad I've used...ThermaRest and a few different types of CCF. The only pad I've found so far that doesn't make me sweat is the Exped Downmat.

Plenty of folks are fine with non-breathable insulation. Other folks don't like it. Every now and then you'll read a report of someone waking up in the SS with a puddle under their backside. What works for one person may not work so well for another.

I'm not bashing the SS...I've seen them but haven't actually slept in one. I'm just saying it's good for some people in some conditions. Given my bias towards breathable insulation, I don't think it'll work out for me. But if one happened to show up in my mailbox I'd be happy to give it a shot! :D

Coffee
02-05-2007, 22:56
Jeff thanks for posting about attaching your nest to the ridgeline on your DIY hammock. I tried that today and it made a huge difference. I think that should get me close to 30 F or less instead of 40 F that I had before.

BillyBob58
02-13-2007, 16:24

As you guys already know, I have used the Super Shelter for one week in the field in Wyoming, and have been running various experiments here at home to see how far I can push it.

And though I'm sure everything varies with the individual, my experience in Wyoming shows me that I can do quite well in the basic Super Shelter and a North face cats meow endurance bag use as a blanket, into the upper 30s and low 40s without adding anything else. Though I was cold the first night at 23°, I have since realized that was primarily from user error (first night in a hammock plus first night with Super Shelter, exhausted and underfed due to altitude sickness/no appetite etc.). Which is not at all to say that I would have been warm in the most basic Super Shelter at 23° had I been in prime condition and made no user error. But then again, I almost surely would not have been nearly as cold, and might have even been just barely okay. I am truly amazed at how much warmth that thin pad and space blanket, within the undercover( no overcover used so far) can provide. However, I believe the pad that was sold to me this September is wider and thicker than the original pads that came with the Super Shelter.

I have since added the torso/kidney pads, which are very inexpensive, light weight and low bulk, and add significant warmth. I think they are essential. With practice, I have also become aware of what might be the systems best attribute, the flexibility to soup it up, often with what you already have with you anyway. Such things as very lightweight and very low bulk Garlington insulators. Or simply adding jackets or long underwear or what ever is really light weight either on top of the pad, or underneath the pad in the undercover -- although this latter takes a little practice to learn how to do this without the undercover pulling away and leaving gaps. And absolutely perfect for this is my down vest, which is so light weight it does not pull the cover away at all, and yet provides three or 4 inches of down underneath the pad. Also perfect are the Garlington insulators, but those do require carrying a little bit extra. And of course a Speer SPE and pad can, I'm convinced, push this system way on down there. Since I'm always gonna have a thin pad with me anyway, this could be added only on the most extreme cold nights, allowing sleeping without a pad most nights. Unless of course every night of the trip would be extremely cold. Oh also, I have never experienced any condensation problems whatsoever (so far) either in the field or in the backyard at 18 to 30°.

But the experiments are ongoing, and I believe we have another cold blast coming up in a couple of days. I hope to try once again to see how far I can push this system under a optimal backyard conditions. This Super Shelter looks very unimpressive, agreed. But I think it's got more going for it than it looks like.

It's been fascinating to me to see how many ways there are to overcome this "cold hammock bottom" problem, other than just stuffing a thick wide pad in there -- although that simple approach will work also, especially with an SPE.

BillyBob58
02-13-2007, 19:17
......... It's only about 1/4" open cell foam. It does give you a little wrap around insulation for the sides where you're not compressing it much.

According to Hennessy, the current pads are 5/8". 29 inches wide for the backpacker and 36 inches wide for the Explorer. Though I believe I measured my pad at 35 inches. Much harder to measure the thickness of open cell foam, but the peak of the "egg crate" appears to be at least 1/2". But a question I have always had is: does open cell foam, assuming it is a uncompressed as in the Super Shelter, have the same insulating value as closed cell foam of the same thickness?

Just Jeff
02-13-2007, 19:22
does open cell foam, assuming it is a uncompressed as in the Super Shelter, have the same insulating value as closed cell foam of the same thickness?

No. There are some R-value tables on the Speer SPE page...I think OCF is on there. If not, search around...I remember seeing it somewhere.

BillyBob58
02-13-2007, 19:24
True. I have a bad time with condensation on almost every pad I've used...ThermaRest and a few different types of CCF. The only pad I've found so far that doesn't make me sweat is the Exped Downmat.

Plenty of folks are fine with non-breathable insulation. Other folks don't like it. Every now and then you'll read a report of someone waking up in the SS with a puddle under their backside. What works for one person may not work so well for another.

I'm not bashing the SS...I've seen them but haven't actually slept in one. I'm just saying it's good for some people in some conditions. Given my bias towards breathable insulation, I don't think it'll work out for me. But if one happened to show up in my mailbox I'd be happy to give it a shot! :D

I'm thinking the open cell foam pad on the Hennessy is breathable, unless of course you put a space blanket on top of it. It sure looks breathable. Of course the undercover is not breathable, but that hangs down several inches below you and is not in contact with you. I guess the space blanket is in contact with the bottom side (outside) of the hammock, but for whatever reason I have never had any condensation issues, other than my breath condensing above me when it's really cold. Going by my experience, I'm surprised to hear some people had been waking up in a puddle of sweat in the Super Shelter. But, people do differ. I guess you're right, it must be an individual thing.

PS: Yep, I just checked the HH pad. I was able to breath and exhale right thru it. It's pretty wide open. Of course, the space blanket makes that irrelevent.

blackbishop351
02-13-2007, 19:26
According to Hennessy, the current pads are 5/8". 29 inches wide for the backpacker and 36 inches wide for the Explorer. Though I believe I measured my pad at 35 inches. Much harder to measure the thickness of open cell foam, but the peak of the "egg crate" appears to be at least 1/2". But a question I have always had is: does open cell foam, assuming it is a uncompressed as in the Super Shelter, have the same insulating value as closed cell foam of the same thickness?

I think it can vary a lot. I used to work in a factory that made foam, and there were TONS of subcategories of CCF and OCF both. Without compression, I would think the R-values would be comparable, with the CCF coming out slightly ahead. WITH compression, the CCF is obviously going to win. But like I said, there's a lot of shades of grey there - for instance, some "OCF" actually has many closed cells, sometimes even most of them.

The egg crate design on the SS pad is one reason I'm a little skeptical. As far as I know, the egg crate idea is something that's added for comfort against a hard surface, not insulation.

Some people claim that you can't count on the full thickness of an egg crate pad while in a hammock, because of breatheability. With a windblock underneath though, I think they still do pretty well. My Z-rest (egg crate) has performed well in my homemade hammock, and I think that's because the ripstop I use for my hammock bodies is pretty wind resistant. It doesn't do well at all in my HH.

So anyway - I'm not sure why Hennessy uses the egg crate for their underpad. You don't need the added comfort (that's why the Z-rest has it), so it seems like a waste of material and weight. JMO.

slowhike
02-13-2007, 20:05
I'm thinking the open cell foam pad on the Hennessy is breathable, unless of course you put a space blanket on top of it. It sure looks breathable. Of course the undercover is not breathable, but that hangs down several inches below you and is not in contact with you. I guess the space blanket is in contact with the bottom side (outside) of the hammock, but for whatever reason I have never had any condensation issues, other than my breath condensing above me when it's really cold. Going by my experience, I'm surprised to hear some people had been waking up in a puddle of sweat in the Super Shelter. But, people do differ. I guess you're right, it must be an individual thing.

PS: Yep, I just checked the HH pad. I was able to breath and exhale right thru it. It's pretty wide open. Of course, the space blanket makes that irrelevent.

that's one thing to be cautious about w/ that set-up... the OCF is breathable & will also soak up water like a sponge. so you'll need to be sure & guard it from getting wet from rain, condensation, or whatever.

Just Jeff
02-13-2007, 20:05
The OCF is breathable...but where does that moisture end up after it "breathes" through the OCF? It condenses on the silnylon...so the system isn't breathable.

But OCF works well when wet, too. Better than down, at least, and probably better than most synthetics, too.

Coffee
02-13-2007, 21:34
Glad to see that the SS works for you. Just goes to show how everyone is a little different. In the end whatever works for you is the best system.

One thing that I noticed is that I really need something that will warm me up. In the field I usually wait to long to get in, so I am chilled to start with. I think that a system that was on the edge for working for me at home, would cause me problems in the field. Just what works for me.