PDA

View Full Version : Speer Top Quilt III

Hooch
08-15-2008, 07:32
Once again, saving up is paying off. I saved my extra fundage for a few weeks, worked a few extra hours and finally ordered my Speer Top Blanket III. Yay for me! :D One small catch though. When I tried out a demo of it in Hot Springs back in April, I didn't like the hook and loop closure that it comes with. It kept coming undone and scratching my legs. :( So, I asked Ed to modify mine by simply sewing the footbox shut instead of using the hook and look tape. He said it wouldn't be a problem, so hopefully I'll have it some time next week. Another example of Ed's excellent customer service and listening to the folks who use and buy his gear. Got a hike coming up from Massie Gap to Damascus and would love to put it though its paces on the trail along with my new Caldera Keg (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TDCKEG). :D

animalcontrol
08-15-2008, 07:44
<stepping off topic>

Mongo is the MAN! very cool avitar and quote.

headchange4u
08-15-2008, 07:54
Congrats on the new quilt Hooch. Of course we expect some pics, especially since it's a custom job.

Hooch
08-15-2008, 08:02
Mongo is the MAN! Agreed. A very young Alex Karras in his pre-Webster and Porky's days.

Congrats on the new quilt Hooch. Of course we expect some pics, especially since it's a custom job.But of course. :D I have today off, so a little later I'm going to sew a new double ended Blackbishop Sack for it. The one I have already will barely fit my hammock and UQ, defintely no room for a top quilt.

NCPatrick
08-15-2008, 08:04
Can you post the specs (or a link) for a Speer top blanket III?

Congrats, btw.

Hooch
08-15-2008, 08:06
Can you post the specs (or a link) for a Speer top blanket III?

Congrats, btw.No (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/TopBlanket.htm). Go find 'em yourself. :p:D Is my name Google? :eek:

NCPatrick
08-15-2008, 08:08
Get up on the wrong side of the hammock today? :p

I've been a bit bleary eyed myself after staying up and watching the Olympics.

Thanks for the link. Didn't want to have to actually do any SEARCHING or anything.

Hooch
08-15-2008, 08:14
Get up on the wrong side of the hammock today? :p

I've been a bit bleary eyed myself after staying up and watching the Olympics.

Thanks for the link. Didn't want to have to actually do any SEARCHING or anything.Just givin you grief, dude. I had the link bookmarked, so no worries.

Strangely enough, the only part of the Olympics I've really watched so far is the women's beach volley ball. Did anyone see the Russian team? Lookin' good! :eek::p

NCPatrick
08-15-2008, 08:24
Looks like a great quilt.

I'm going to be making myself a new down top quilt before winter, looking at how much down I might need. Looks like it's 9oz. for this one.

What do you think is the temp rating (I know it's hard for a top quilt, with all the other factors thrown in) of the Speer TQIII?

trail_geek
08-15-2008, 08:58
Gee, i would need to work a heck of a lot of OT to affort one of those babys....but it does look nice,

Enjoy it

Hooch
08-15-2008, 08:59
What do you think is the temp rating (I know it's hard for a top quilt, with all the other factors thrown in) of the Speer TQIII? According to Ed, with 1 oz overfill (how I ordered mine), the Top Quilt III is rated at 25*. If you ask me, Ed's temp ratings are conservative, though.

Edit: I just got my sales receipt in my email. On the receipt, it reads that the quilt with 1 oz overfill is rated at 20*. Either way, I'm happy. Now if I can just figure out how to sew a hammock sock, I'll be all set for the Winter Hang this year. :D

NCPatrick
08-15-2008, 09:03
According to Ed, with 1 oz overfill (how I ordered mine), the Top Quilt III is rated at 25*. If you ask me, Ed's temp ratings are conservative, though.

Agreed, plus with all of your residual warmth underneath and around from your snugfit, you should be able to get lower I suspect.

You'll just be way too comfortable, and want to spend all day in the hammock!

Hooch
08-15-2008, 09:04
You'll just be way too comfortable, and want to spend all day in the hammock! You say that like it's a bad thing.

NCPatrick
08-15-2008, 09:11
If you're trying to hike from point A to point B, sooner or later you'll have to leave from point A. :D

Hooch
08-15-2008, 09:13
If you're trying to hike from point A to point B, sooner or later you'll have to leave from point A. :DPicky. Oh, and I've got an email out to Ed to find out the official word on the temp rating. Not that 5 degrees one way or the other is worth getting into a twist over.

Hooch
08-15-2008, 14:08
Ok, I'm going to sew a new double ended blackbishop sack and stake bag for my hammock, UQ and TQ. I have color options and wanted to see what y'all though since I can't make my mind up:

A) Olive Sil

B) Black Sil

C) Grey Sil

I made the first version a few months back out of some woodland digital camo coated 1.9 that I had sitting around, but would like to lighten it up a little bit and go with sil. Suggestions?

angrysparrow
08-15-2008, 15:22
I've got the non-overfill Speer TQ model, and it has taken me to the low 20's (using a hammock sock). I'm sure the overfill model is good for a few degrees lower.

Hooch
08-18-2008, 17:23
According to Ed, with 1 oz overfill (how I ordered mine), the Top Quilt III is rated at 25*. If you ask me, Ed's temp ratings are conservative, though.

Edit: I just got my sales receipt in my email. On the receipt, it reads that the quilt with 1 oz overfill is rated at 20*. Either way, I'm happy. Now if I can just figure out how to sew a hammock sock, I'll be all set for the Winter Hang this year. :DHeard back from Ed this morning. The official temp rating of the Top Blanket III with 1 oz overstuff is 25* Fahrenheit (For the rest of the world, that's -3.9* Celsius). By the way, my modified Top Blanket III was shipped today. :D Oh, and making the new doule ended Blackbishop sack from black sil. With a twist. Pics to come. Eventually.

slowhike
08-18-2008, 20:52
Heard back from Ed this morning. The official temp rating of the Top Blanket III with 1 oz overstuff is 25* Fahrenheit (For the rest of the world, that's -3.9* Celsius). By the way, my modified Top Blanket III was shipped today. :D Oh, and making the new doule ended Blackbishop sack from black sil. With a twist. Pics to come. Eventually.

That's right... rub it in Mongo:D

Hooch
08-18-2008, 21:02
That's right... rub it in Mongo:DJealous? :p:rolleyes:

slowhike
08-18-2008, 21:25
Jealous? :p:rolleyes:

Of course I am... that's a nice quilt man:D

Hooch
08-19-2008, 16:33
Of course I am... that's a nice quilt man:DWell you're welcome to use it anytime, my friend. And that goes for my SnugFit too. The Top Quilt was waiting for me when I got home from work today. The custom work is great! I can't wait to use this thing next month. :D

animalcontrol
08-20-2008, 10:29
"Mongo"

I was reading about the Speer TopBlanket III.
I was considering my own DIY quilt but Ed has covered alot of my issues.
One question for you...Speer website says the quilt is "3.5X6 Feet" my simple brain conversion says "41X72 inches"...41 inches sounds very narrow even in a hammock.
Any concerns for you or am I still thinking in ground widths? :confused:

Hooch
08-20-2008, 13:38
"Mongo"

I was reading about the Speer TopBlanket III.
I was considering my own DIY quilt but Ed has covered alot of my issues.
One question for you...Speer website says the quilt is "3.5X6 Feet" my simple brain conversion says "41X72 inches"...41 inches sounds very narrow even in a hammock.
Any concerns for you or am I still thinking in ground widths? :confused:
In all fairness, the Speer Top Quilt III is a bit on the narrow side at 42". However, I've had the opportunity to try one out a couple nights and slept really well with it in conjunction with the Speer SnugFit. The combination worked for me, so I'm happy with it. Thinking about doing an overnighter just to put the new quilt to use. I'm off @ 1430 tomorrow and don't have to be back at work til 2000 Saturday night, so may do an overnighter up in the mountains on Friday. :D I'll let y'all know how it goes.