PDA

View Full Version : Summer Series Quilts rock

flatline
05-28-2012, 22:29
i took my Wilderness Logics Summer Series quilts out for a romp in the gorge last week. we had a great time too.
the UQ and TQ are sewn through and have diagonal channels that look very cool. the TQ has a draw string foot box with snaps up to knee high.
we where hoping for nights in the 40s but it only got down to 55* the first night, up on the ridge.
i used the TQ with the foot box fully snapped and cinched closed. wearing a thin pair of long pants and a sleeveless tee shirt with thin wool socks,
it was too warm to pull the TQ up around my shoulders, so i left it folded down to about waist high. i woke up sometime around mid-night with chilly arms
so i pulled the TQ up and left it loosely laying over my chest th rest of the night.
the sewn thru channels where comfortably warm and vented.
the 2nd night we stayed down by the river, near Conley.
the humidity was higher and 60* was the low. before sunset, i snapped the TQ around the outside of my Lite Owl and cinched the draw string about half way closed
leaving a vent for my feet. that night i left the sides of the TQ over the sides of my NO but tucked between the UQ suspension and the hammock.
that was the perfect combination of warn and air circulation. i had the since of complete freedom to move without tugging at a TQ and tons of unencumbered wiggle room.
that was the most comfortable night i have ever spent in a hammock.
the combination of the very comfortable hammock and quilts with the roar of the river was heavenly.
thank you Marty and Wilderness Logics. the SS TQ has so many ways to morph it's configuration, it can be used from late spring to early fall (around here) then used as a liner when the temps really drop.
i do want to see how well they will handle cooler nights. i believe they would easily make 40* and i hope we get a freak cool snap soon!

dragon360
05-28-2012, 22:54
Marty does truly make some fine gear! Congrats on the new additions!

Tacky Hiker
05-28-2012, 23:16
Just got mine last week. Cant wait to try them out.

MedicineMan
05-28-2012, 23:45
flatline-that diagonal work looks incredible. it could spiral you to sleep ;)

Les Rust
05-29-2012, 05:57
thanks for the report. That semi-pod mode looks pretty versatile. Liked what you had to say about it being a good combination of both warmth and ventilation--so many times it seems like you get only one or the other. Keep us posted on low it will go.

Groovy
05-29-2012, 07:22
I have been looking for the report on his summer series. Thank's and looking good!

Shug
05-29-2012, 08:38
Loving that "cork-screw" look!
Shug

foureyedgeek
05-29-2012, 08:52
Man, those things look great. Now to find an extra 200 bucks...

flatline
05-29-2012, 09:58
Marty does truly make some fine gear! Congrats on the new additions!
Marty is the man with the plan.

Just got mine last week. Cant wait to try them out.
i know you're gonna like the lite weight luxury.

flatline-that diagonal work looks incredible. it could spiral you to sleep ;)
it's kinda like a "pig in a blanket", a crescent roll wrapped around a wiener!

thanks for the report. That semi-pod mode looks pretty versatile. Liked what you had to say about it being a good combination of both warmth and ventilation--so many times it seems like you get only one or the other. Keep us posted on low it will go.
i'm convinced that sewn thru construction is the way to go for warm weather
quilts. it really makes a difference in comfort and it "airs out" in no time.

I have been looking for the report on his summer series. Thank's and looking good!
(imho) it doesn't get any better.

Loving that "cork-screw" look!
Shug
i was calling it "twisted" but i like "cork-screw" much better. thanks.

Man, those things look great. Now to find an extra 200 bucks...
no such thing as extra $.
i started cutting my own hair about 6 years ago. the clippers paid for them selves in 3 months. all the additional savings goes to Wilderness Logics.
that gives me a little leg to stand on when "hon-e-pie" gets that ? look on her face.:shades:

flatline
05-29-2012, 16:17
here are our camps. on the ridge and down by the river.
sorry for the old i-phone quality.

Backtrack
05-29-2012, 18:58
Looks good man! Hope to see you in the woods soon.......

leeinmemphis
05-30-2012, 07:04
These summer quilts are next on my list

flatline
06-01-2012, 19:24
i wish i knew someone who owned a convenience store, so i could test mt SS quilts in the beer cooler!

psilokan
06-07-2012, 22:07
I'm really debating getting some of the Wilderness Logistics quilts. A summer series and either a full or the 3/4 UQ for colder sleeping. One thing I haven't come across yet is pics of these things all packed up in a stuff sack so I can get an idea of the pack space. So if either of you guys think to, a pic of a compressed one next to something for reference would be amazing. :)

I've got the money set aside, I just can't make up my mind on what to order!

Mr.Tattoo
06-07-2012, 22:27
Here you go in stuff sacks UQ in grey stuff sack and TQ in blk stuff sack

psilokan
06-08-2012, 12:18
You're awesome! Thank you :)

My only complain about WL is that the pics on their site are crappy quality and important pics like these are absent.

Now if only I could get someone to answer me in my thread about how well these work on the HH I'd be throwing my money at Marty.

Edit: On further investigation I realized there are pics of the summer series ones compressed (same as above), it's the 3 season ones that don't have the pictures (which I am more likely to buy). So thanks Mr. Tattoo, but if anyone has a pic of the 3/4 or full length UQ (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Under-Quilts_c11.htm) or the regular sized top quilt (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Top-Quilts_c7.htm) I would be very grateful.

infrastellar
05-31-2016, 12:55
today I ordered the summer series set from Marty :) Use from april to october. I hope.

Quake_gl
06-03-2016, 16:09
Not to rain on the parade,but i am bit dissapointed.

I just received a WL SS Top Quilt,in normal specs.
I weighted with stuff sack at almost 17 oz(480g).
I know they use 0.95oz fabric both in-out,but that is too much.
It is also sewn-through and small dimension compared to most quilts,so i definetly expected it to be under 15 oz total.Maybe it uses more down,and is for lower temp than stated?
Bummer.

Bigmeats
06-03-2016, 18:08
Wow, I like the look of those.

JollyGreen
06-07-2016, 09:41

It is also sewn-through and small dimension compared to most quilts,so i definetly expected it to be under 15 oz total.Maybe it uses more down,and is for lower temp than stated?
Bummer.

Maybe you should contact WL on this instead of flaming them on here, there could be a few reasons why you're 2 whole ounces higher than advertised. What material did you order the quilts in? Stuff sack material? Maybe your scale is slightly off?

Quake_gl
06-10-2016, 23:01
I did contact them.I was wondering what other people have weighted it.Material is default 0.95 on both sides.

timberlake
06-11-2016, 09:19
I did contact them.I was wondering what other people have weighted it.Material is default 0.95 on both sides.

I have seven quilts from Marty. They all weigh what the specs are. Quality second to none....

Betweentwotrees
06-12-2016, 11:39
I just received my summer series quilts and they are amazing, fantastic customer service.

mayhemkb
06-13-2016, 09:01
Double. Sorry!

mayhemkb
06-13-2016, 09:15

Bummer.

The gross grain edging, snaps, and drawstring features on the summer series adds to the weight and negate a lighter fabric or down to some extent. I ditch my stuff sack with quilts and that takes away about 0.75 to 1.0 OZ. Honestly, I am not going to lose it over and ounce or so and I am a gram weenie.

He always overstuffs and the quality you get at the price point he offers is the best I have seen. I also have never heard of a WL quilt that doesn't outperform its temp rating for the average sleeper. I think you should have talked to Marty first before jumping on here or confirmed weight with him in a quick Q&A before ordering. He never takes long to reply to an email.

WileyBruin
06-14-2016, 16:31
I've had a SSTQ for a couple seasons now and have used it in the height of summer and the dead of winter (with a 20o UQ) - love it. I'll be ordering the full length SSUQ soon to complete my set.

Betweentwotrees
06-14-2016, 17:43
You got by with the sstq in winter, that's awesome. I can't wait to test the limits of mine.

WileyBruin
06-15-2016, 07:30
Yep - I find adding clothes to be effective in extending the range of a TQ. The SSTQ is breathable to some extent, so it's great in the heat. Add some layers of clothes and a beanie, and I got down to the low 30s no problem.

Betweentwotrees
06-15-2016, 08:20
That's good to hear.

blgoode
06-21-2016, 09:48
I have mine weighing in with out the stuff sack at 15 oz on my spreadsheet

infrastellar
06-23-2016, 02:04
summer series landed here yesterday, not sure if its summer series, because I had to escape the hammock midnight due to very hot conditions... was not able to vent enough, and didnt want to sleep without any insulation. But that was indoor in my living room, will be perfect for fresh summer nights in the woods and by the water I am sure

http://hammock.infrastellar.net/underquilt1.jpg

http://hammock.infrastellar.net/topquilt1.jpg

Foxpoop
06-23-2016, 06:39
Those look nice. Some of you NC and VA folks need to represent and bring them to the John Rock hang in July! Check out the thread in southeast hangouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flatline
06-27-2016, 08:02
Not sure if I'll be there this year?
Sorry you missed mine last year.