PDA

View Full Version : Kilo Newton to Pounds Conversion

Coffee
02-03-2007, 13:48
I thought this would be helpful for people ordering climbing gear for use in hammocking. Most of the rating is given in KiloNewtons (kN). I called Mountain Gear and was given a conversion rating of:

1 kN = 224.8 pounds of tencile strength.

I haven't found a place to double check this number, but it seems right. Add in the usual desclaimer here.

Just Jeff
02-03-2007, 13:53
Google confirms: "1 kilonewton = 224.808943 pounds force"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1+kN+to+lbs

So a 25 kN biner is good to ~5620 lbs.

A 5 kN biner is good to ~1124 lbs...nearing the lower limit for hammock use.

blackbishop351
02-03-2007, 13:54
According to the conversion table in my general physics book (haven't opened this guy in a while!):

Giancoli, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers, with Modern Physics" Prentice-Hall, 2000

the conversion is

1lb. = 4.45 N

which gives

1 kN ~ 224.72 lbs.

Pretty close!

slowhike
02-03-2007, 16:19
that's handy to know teedee.
i have a biner (two actualy) from the climbing section that's rated 8kn & weighs 1.5 ozs.

Perkolady
02-03-2007, 22:34
Here's a site where you just add in the numbers you're thinking about and it gives you the conversions in a matter of a click...

http://www.pitt.edu/~rsup/forceconv.html

Perkolady

Coffee
02-04-2007, 04:23
Thanks, I'll have to remember that about google. From some reason I am always have to convert units for one reason or another.

blackbishop351
02-04-2007, 04:57
BGT has a pretty nice conversion page, too:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

Just Jeff
02-04-2007, 07:17
Tim - biners are rated across the long axis and the short axis, and rated with the gate open and closed. If your biner is rated to 8kN across the long axis with the gate closed, be sure it's used that way. If it's pushing against the tree or something that changes how it holds the force, or if something is holding the gate open, it'll significantly lower the rating.

slowhike
02-04-2007, 07:26
that's good to be aware of.
when i use it though, i do use it on the long axis w/ the gate closed. and i don't use it against the tree, just between two strait lines.
i'm not sure i understand that short axis part. does that mean someone would be using it sideways, w/ gear hanging on the wire gate?

Just Jeff
02-04-2007, 07:34
I'm not sure how they test it, but I assume you're correct. Like if it got spun around during climbing or something, maybe? Or maybe it's just a liability thing since people are risking their lives with the gear...never know how many idiots are out there using things in ways they weren't designed for! (Like hammockers :D )

slowhike
02-04-2007, 07:42
I'm not sure how they test it, but I assume you're correct. Like if it got spun around during climbing or something, maybe? Or maybe it's just a liability thing since people are risking their lives with the gear...never know how many idiots are out there using things in ways they weren't designed for! (Like hammockers :D )

yep... i've seen some amussing stuff<g>.

Coffee
02-04-2007, 12:48

I called REI to ask them about the rating of their rings. I was basically told "I don't know" and he would only quote what was on their website. When I told him that I was using it for something it wasn't intended for he really wanted to cover himself. I told him the worst that cold happen is I fall 3 feet or so.

gearhound
02-07-2007, 15:55
HE what type of rings are you using from REI? And if it is a rapel ring, which is essentially just a metal ring, looking like this:

http://www.omegapac.com/op_climbing_rings.html.

These will hold 20 kN of force, in a linear direction. Most climbing equipment is designed to be loaded in a linear orientation. The forces pulling in opposite directions, puting the gear in tension.

Edited to add:

I carry these as an all purpose biner, while backpacking, whether it be to hang my bear bag with, or to clip stuff to my pack/tent/hammock. They weigh 1 oz/biner, and have a breaking strength of 22kN across the long axis, with the gate closed.

http://www.camp-usa.com/module/product/detail.asp?ID=127

They are not much larger than a Non-Climbing Keychain Biner

stoikurt
02-07-2007, 16:44
HE what type of rings are you using from REI? And if it is a rapel ring, which is essentially just a metal ring, looking like this:

These will hold 20 kN of force, in a linear direction. Most climbing equipment is designed to be loaded in a linear orientation. The forces pulling in opposite directions, puting the gear in tension.

How do you tell what the linear direction of a circle is?:confused:
Never mind...just kidding.:D

Coffee
02-07-2007, 18:40

Edited to add:

I carry these as an all purpose biner, while backpacking, whether it be to hang my bear bag with, or to clip stuff to my pack/tent/hammock. They weigh 1 oz/biner, and have a breaking strength of 22kN across the long axis, with the gate closed.

http://www.camp-usa.com/module/product/detail.asp?ID=127

They are not much larger than a Non-Climbing Keychain Biner

Thanks. By linear direction I think you mean pulling on 2 sides 180 degrees apart. I will be doing that with mine.

I ordered one from Mountain Gear. I will be using it to feed the straps through. They are only going to see 1200-1600 at the absolute max. I think any higher than that, I will start having other things break.

I am still waiting on them to come. I'll post pics when I am done.

blackbishop351
02-07-2007, 19:08
Thanks. By linear direction I think you mean pulling on 2 sides 180 degrees apart. I will be doing that with mine.

I ordered one from Mountain Gear. I will be using it to feed the straps through. They are only going to see 1200-1600 at the absolute max. I think any higher than that, I will start having other things break.

I am still waiting on them to come. I'll post pics when I am done.

How would you implement a ring in a NON-linear manner on a suspension? Or on any other two-directional weight-bearing application for that matter? I'm just curious...

Coffee
02-07-2007, 19:22
How would you implement a ring in a NON-linear manner on a suspension? Or on any other two-directional weight-bearing application for that matter? I'm just curious...

With a 2 directional it would have to be some sort of fixed support like a metal rod.

I could see it on a hammock in 3 directions. 1 to the ring from the tree, 1 for the ridgeline, and 1 going down to the hammock. I would not use it like that because I just think it would be extra weight.

blackbishop351
02-07-2007, 22:32
With a 2 directional it would have to be some sort of fixed support like a metal rod.

I could see it on a hammock in 3 directions. 1 to the ring from the tree, 1 for the ridgeline, and 1 going down to the hammock. I would not use it like that because I just think it would be extra weight.

The ~750 lbs. of tension we all use a guide for support materials strength is calculated without a ridgeline - which means that the ridgeline tension is already built in. Shouldn't be a problem. I attach my ridgeline to the knot just below my CC buckle (where the rings would go) anyway though, so no issue here.

Coffee
02-07-2007, 23:22
The ~750 lbs. of tension we all use a guide for support materials strength is calculated without a ridgeline - which means that the ridgeline tension is already built in. Shouldn't be a problem. I attach my ridgeline to the knot just below my CC buckle (where the rings would go) anyway though, so no issue here.

I guess my problem was that I have been doing to much civil engineering stuff on bridges. My built in safey factor was 1200 lbs. They usually have a factor of about 10 or so built in. I guess I'm not too bad yet at close to double everyone else.

The engineer in me can't help from doing some things.

Funny side story. I bought some nylon taffeta at Walmart today. Nice plum and red colors. In talking with the fabric lady she thought there was no way this would hold you up. She didn't think regular nylon would. This stuff doesn't look any thinner than the last stuff I used. I guess my safty factor is only on certain things.

blackbishop351
02-07-2007, 23:27
I guess my problem was that I have been doing to much civil engineering stuff on bridges. My built in safey factor was 1200 lbs. They usually have a factor of about 10 or so built in. I guess I'm not too bad yet at close to double everyone else.

The engineer in me can't help from doing some things.

Better safe than sorry. But I also know that hardware, especially that intended for climbing use, is generally under-rated as far as strength. You can bet that the guys who test and rate that equipment leave an even larger margin for error than you're talking about - people rely on that stuff for their lives.

Funny side story. I bought some nylon taffeta at Walmart today. Nice plum and red colors. In talking with the fabric lady she thought there was no way this would hold you up. She didn't think regular nylon would. This stuff doesn't look any thinner than the last stuff I used. I guess my safty factor is only on certain things.

And we all know that Walmart fabric ladies are the depository of all engineering knowledge... :p

Coffee
02-07-2007, 23:28
And we all know that Walmart fabric ladies are the depository of all engineering knowledge... :p

Thanks. That was the first post in a while that actually had me laughing out loud.:D

blackbishop351
02-07-2007, 23:30
Thanks. That was the first post in a while that actually had me laughing out loud.:D

I amaze myself with my 'skillz' sometimes! :p

Just Jeff
02-07-2007, 23:33
WOOHOO - blackbishop has 500 posts! And #500 was about skillz. Gotta have skillz.

Coffee
02-07-2007, 23:50
Jeff he is going to be your next competion when I leave with his skills: bow hunting skills, numbchuck skills.

Just Jeff
02-07-2007, 23:54
Jeff he is going to be your next competion when I leave with his skills

You're leaving with his skills? Bet he's not happy about that. Sounds like a lover's quarrel... :D

Coffee
02-07-2007, 23:57
I guess I should have put a coma somewhere.

It's that grammer thing again. I guess I need to add a warning that I failed english through school, my roommate carried me through 2 college courses.

Just Jeff
02-08-2007, 00:00
You know what you need? A girl with a frikkin laser on her head. In a hammock.

Then if anyone gave you a hard time she could zap them. And you could steal their hammocks.

Coffee
02-08-2007, 00:28
You know what you need? A girl with a frikkin laser on her head. In a hammock.

Then if anyone gave you a hard time she could zap them. And you could steal their hammocks.

One of these days I find one. I don't know whether to feel happy or sad for the first girl I see with a fikkin laser on her head. Either way, I'll be using my skills.:rolleyes: