PDA

View Full Version : Lurkers Identify Yourselves

Roadtorque
08-18-2008, 22:13
After reading a few threads this week which seemed to start out with something like "I have read this thread for a few years now but never posted" or "I've only been a lurker so far but have a question". I'm just wondering how many people are out there are lurkers and like to listen to the conversations/topics but never post. I guess this thread is two-fold. 1. For me to say hi to all of you lurkers and 2. Give you lurkers a place to introduce yourself, say hi and then... go back to lurking;)

skar578
08-18-2008, 22:34
do i count? I lurked a bit last year, then got an account. then didnt post for months on end. but im back (for now)

SlowBro
08-18-2008, 22:42
If I'm a lurker then by definition I don't post. So now that I am posting this note about being a lurker I am no longer a lurker, but a poster. It is all very confusing!?:)

Although I do post on other forums (BPL mostly), I am too new to hammock camping to really feel I have much to offer. I do appreciate all the info you regulars are willing to share with us lurkers.

Thanks

tight-wad
08-18-2008, 22:54
WELCOME ALL!!!!!

IMHO - tis better to keep silent if you have nothing *** at this time *** to contribute, but SPEAK UP if you have something to share!!!!! or lingering questions to ask.

And... if you have learned anything from this forum, and thereby saved yourself a few coins along the way, do the right thing, and become a contributing member....:)

Coldspring
08-18-2008, 23:17
This is one of the best forums you'll find. Friendly and civil. Don't be afraid. :)

I lurk on some other forums, unrelated to outdoor recreation, and I'm quite frightened of posting, due to the possibility of getting my head torn off by the experts! :(

bry961
08-18-2008, 23:45
^ I know I was timid at first here too! but seriously this forum is composed of really nice and helpful people unlike some others

Ramblinrev
08-18-2008, 23:55
"'Tis better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all dubt." As I ave never been one to be afraid of being thought a fool, I dove right in. Took me a little while to get the lay of the land so to speak, but I have gelaned so much....

PocketDucks
08-19-2008, 00:40
I am new to hammock camping ever since a buddy let me try out his on a recent outing. I have had hammock envy ever since. I was/am a lurker but had to join to see some of the innovative setups while I try and decide on a hammock system for me. This forum has been a great resource and it seems to be a nice community. I'll be less of a lurker and more of a poster when I have something more to say (and try out my new hammock system whatever that might be). :D

bamboobow
08-19-2008, 06:44
And... if you have learned anything from this forum, and thereby saved yourself a few coins along the way, do the right thing, and become a contributing member....

This forum has cost me plenty.......:D

I've aquired too many hammocks, straps, cords, rings, buckles and tarps in the few short months I've been here. I just picked up my mother-in-laws old sewing machine. (like I don't have enough hobbies already)

Seriously, great forum with a lot of help. Happy to be a contributing member.

Gumbi
08-19-2008, 07:29
Hey, I am a newbie here, too. I don't post very often, because usually there is someone far more experienced who can answer questions far better than I can. But I love to read new posts. Lots of knowledge here!

wildmike4
08-19-2008, 07:48
Wild Mike here ... well wildmike4 was the only one close enough. I joined awhile ago and then life got in the way. Now I'm back and have just bought a Skeeter Beater Pro from heescha (I hope it's on it's way).

I'm going to be 57 this Sept and am a Scoutmaster for a small troop of 5 boys. We camp once a month and I've been thinking for awhile now that hammock camping looks comfy and easy to set up camp with. For a long time I used a large Coleman Tent with a cot for my sleeping shelter (well I still have them). then a couple of years a built a small sleeping Teardrop trailer that I used for 2 summer camps. I sold it this year and took the plunge into the wonderful world of hammock camping.

I purchased the material to make a tarp (OK and also the Wallyworld nylon to make a hammock with, but with the price of the SBPro it wasn't worth making it.) so the tarp will be my first project.

I have met with Canoebie and hopefully I'll make the Midwest Paddle trip he and the group are planning.

So ... that's me ... well that's only part of me ... buha ha ha haaaa:D

LostCause
08-19-2008, 08:13
I lurked around for several weeks just to absorb it all in. A lot of my outstanding questions were answered in posts and I found if I took the time to read, I could answer questions I didn't even know I had. I hope to be able to share knowledge in the future, but as of now... I still have a long way to go. I have only made a DIY Speer type but haven't had the time to use it and I still have many project ideas in mind.

A HUGE thanks to all the members of this forum for making it such a welcoming and informative (not to mention addicting) place.

commandokanak
08-19-2008, 11:55
I lurked for a day or two then I registered. I went hiking/camping in CO a few weekends ago and all the other guys were hanging except me...I was in my tent. Now I want to hang! Trying to figure out which hammock is best for me.

nobanjo15
08-19-2008, 13:47
I don't post much but sure enjoy the listening in. This is an interesting place and friendly too.

neo
08-19-2008, 13:51
I lurked for a day or two then I registered. I went hiking/camping in CO a few weekends ago and all the other guys were hanging except me...I was in my tent. Now I want to hang! Trying to figure out which hammock is best for me.

welcome to hammock forums.hammock camping is the only way to fly.:cool:neo

hdbint
08-19-2008, 14:50
I don't post very often, because usually there is someone far more experienced who can answer questions far better than I can. But I love to read new posts. Lots of knowledge here!

Well said.

I've been lurking for about a year but I'm in the process of building my first two hammocks (one for me and one for the wife) based on HC4U's HH clone instructions.

fin
08-19-2008, 15:05
Welcome to the forums, all you lurkers out there. We were all lurkers at one point or another. Happy to have you all. And if you have benefited from this site at all, please become a donating member. To paraphrase from a great song, "It don't cost very much, and it lasts a long while."

Mule
08-19-2008, 16:46
SAVE YOURSELVES!!!!! This forum fosters do-it-yourselve projects, ownership of multiple hammocks, quilts, tarps and water purifiers not to mention driving a person to leave his happy home and 'head for the hills.' It's great. Welcome to you all. Mule

robgcp
08-19-2008, 17:16
I have just joined this month, asked a few questions, got good answers, I, like a few others are a bit physically challanged and have been lurking here to learn all I can. Ground dweller now for 43 years and I have found it difficult this last year to get out of my sleeping bag and up without experienceing some pain or discomfort and this spring fell and broke my camping buddies tent..He then went and bought a camper:eek:..not for me...I need the moon, the stars the crickets and the tree frogs...I have a hammock coming this week and gonna test the waters, so to speak, I actually hope it rains, after I set up and get comfortable, so I can listen to the rain hit the tarp and be warm and dry...wish me luck...:o

angrysparrow
08-19-2008, 19:15
Welcome lurkers, present and future! Please don't be shy about posting..that's the only way you'll get your previously-unseen questions answered.

Sheeptoast
08-19-2008, 20:47
I pretty much check the new posts everyday and limit posts to questions that either haven't been answered before or that I havn't been able to find answered.

So...I'll just be on my way....

te-wa
08-19-2008, 20:59
yeah, identify yerselves ya blasted peek sneakers!
if you dont come out of the closet, Im comin' in!

in other news, welcome aboard, we'd love your input. Mike

tight-wad
08-20-2008, 22:14
... listen to the rain hit the tarp and be warm and dry...

and... when its cold, cold, cold, snuggled up in your quilts, and you don't even want to think about waking up ....

hikingjer
08-21-2008, 00:28
Much gratitude to those who have spent money, sewed, experimented, etc. to get a good hang and messed around with commercial hammocks and posted results on this forum. We lurkers appreciate it!

I'd reciprocate but can't top anything that's already been said. But, living in northwest WA, there's new barriers to break for cold weather hammocking over snow.

If anything, this forum has inspired me to spend money making trips to Hardware Sales, Bellingham, WA to buy webbing, buckles, and rope.

angrysparrow
08-21-2008, 07:32
But, living in northwest WA, there's new barriers to break for cold weather hammocking over snow.

Have you read about Turk's arctic adventure (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2708)?

Hassinism
08-21-2008, 07:33
Hello,

I lurk :)

I've got and have hung in my No-See-Um HAAB style hammock 4 or 5 times now and have had 0 probs with it. I recently purchased a HAAB double-wide and will be testing it out very soon. Thanks for all of the informative posts in this forum.

slowhike
08-21-2008, 21:08
Hello,

I lurk :)

I've got and have hung in my No-See-Um HAAB style hammock 4 or 5 times now and have had 0 probs with it. I recently purchased a HAAB double-wide and will be testing it out very soon. Thanks for all of the informative posts in this forum.

Welcome to HF.

Cannibal
08-21-2008, 22:07
I'd lurk more often, but I've got a big mouth and have a difficult time keeping it shut. :)

Preacha Man
08-21-2008, 22:18
I log in and lurk everyday :p, I just don't get to post everyday . I really try not to post unless i can add something to the thread, but seeing that this thread is more of a free for all, here I go :D. Some of yall may have been wondering where I am, I am here everyday, I just don't have anything to add :(.

Dwight

ritzhenson
08-22-2008, 05:56
I lurk here a lot. I want to thank you all for so many good ideas. It was this forum that got me to buy my Claytor, and I haven't regretted it yet! Now I'll go back to lurking 'till I have something constructive to add. Peace, Ritz.

fin
08-22-2008, 07:26
I'd lurk more often, but I've got a big mouth and have a difficult time keeping it shut. :)

We know, but we still lov' ya! :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::):) Me, too.

Some conversations just beg a response, don't they?

Cannibal
08-22-2008, 08:52
We know, but we still lov' ya! :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::):) Me, too.

Some conversations just beg a response, don't they?

Now you're just baiting me. :p:D

I like the fact that a thread like this gets started every now and again. There are always a few that come out as a result. After that they start posting. I think it's that "first post" that is scary; not unlike sitting in a hammock and taking your feet off the ground for the first time. :eek:

Ramblinrev
08-22-2008, 09:02
I think it's that "first post" that is scary; not unlike sitting in a hammock and taking your feet off the ground for the first time. :eek:

I still sit myself very gingerly in the hammock every time I rehang it. More than once I've had something go wrong and felt that sucker slide. There is always the possibility that someone will rip you a new navel if you post. Me... I got so many new navels there is hardly any room for more, but the vast majority of them came from other sites.

Cannibal
08-22-2008, 09:04
Nope, no navel rippers here....I hope. Not when they find out we have a mod named "angrysparrow". Who wants to mess with a pissed off bird; I just washed my truck. :D

Ewker
08-22-2008, 09:41

thought you were hiking?? did you bail :eek:

I lurk since the same stuff is posted over and over....only so many ways to talk about a hammock or rings.....yawn

Cannibal
08-22-2008, 09:46
thought you were hiking?? did you bail :eek:

Yep, ran out of hiking funds and my dad was in the hospital with a spinal injury (he's too **** old for mountain biking!). Too much on the mind between those two things to continue. Gives me an excuse to start over again next year or the one after. You gonna buy me breakfast at the lodge again? :D:D:D Just kidding, that approach trail can kiss my grits!

Made it to Vermont.

Ewker
08-22-2008, 09:57
Yep, ran out of hiking funds and my dad was in the hospital with a spinal injury (he's too **** old for mountain biking!). Too much on the mind between those two things to continue. Gives me an excuse to start over again next year or the one after. You gonna buy me breakfast at the lodge again? :D:D:D Just kidding, that approach trail can kiss my grits!

Made it to Vermont.

sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he is ok and recovered. You get a pass this time

shhhhh you weren't suppose to let folks know i did that..ruins my reputation on here. You will have them thinking I am a good guy.

The approach trail is a piece of cake you weenie..heard it took you 2 days..LMAO ;)

Cannibal
08-22-2008, 10:01
The approach trail is a piece of cake you weenie..heard it took you 2 days..LMAO ;)

Yeah, it sucked for an old fat guy! Mostly I slowed down in order to follow a fellow named Mule (named that night). He had an extra pair of hiking boots hanging off his pack; total weight was 69.5 lbs. I had to see how it turned out. :D

I'm sure there will be a whole new crop of 'lurkers' this year. Lots of very curious hikers out there and of course I steered them to HF. :cool:

Ewker
08-22-2008, 10:25
Yeah, it sucked for an old fat guy! Mostly I slowed down in order to follow a fellow named Mule (named that night). He had an extra pair of hiking boots hanging off his pack; total weight was 69.5 lbs. I had to see how it turned out. :D

I'm sure there will be a whole new crop of 'lurkers' this year. Lots of very curious hikers out there and of course I steered them to HF. :cool:

you did good even if you didn't get to finish. You did better than 99.9% of the people out there (including me)..sigh

I did get my section hike in though..yay for me

sketchydelux
08-22-2008, 11:54
Hey, I am a newbie here, too. I don't post very often, because usually there is someone far more experienced who can answer questions far better than I can. But I love to read new posts. Lots of knowledge here!

quoted for truth

lurker here too , busy trying to change my ways although. i have made a crappy asym setup out of a blanket and a convention wally world tarp and 550 cord. also a ghetto rigged tulle bugnet put together with a stapler!

was amazed of how comfy this it was spending time hanging in it!!!

luckily where it was setup was fairly remote so i didnt have to pack it up every time. my next move is to get something lighter/packable and more cold weather ready.

GrizzlyAdams
08-22-2008, 12:55
quoted for truth

lurker here too , busy trying to change my ways although. i have made a crappy asym setup out of a blanket and a convention wally world tarp and 550 cord. also a ghetto rigged tulle bugnet put together with a stapler!

was amazed of how comfy this it was spending time hanging in it!!!

luckily where it was setup was fairly remote so i didnt have to pack it up every time. my next move is to get something lighter/packable and more cold weather ready.

with all the chit-chat on HF about high tech-ish this and that for hanging, one of the cool things about hammocking is that you can do it on the cheap.

Just as HF is running a contest (I think...?) on hammock stuff built from old patents, we ought to have a "Cheapest Setup" contest. Set up some requirements on what has to be included, maybe insist that the cost includes a documented price for sale for every item. Sounds like you're a contender...

Grizz

Centerfinger
08-22-2008, 14:19
Hey all, I'm a non lurker because I just found these forums today. I spent last weekend in the tall pines of Arizona getting rained on. I currently have an old rope style hammock and a 5x7 ultra light tarp. I'm heading to the fabric store today to get some materials for a DIY hammock. So if there are some "must reads" please point me to them so I can create a better sleep system.

Thanks and I hope to learn lots.:)

FanaticFringer
08-22-2008, 14:27
Hey all, I'm a non lurker because I just found these forums today. I spent last weekend in the tall pines of Arizona getting rained on. I currently have an old rope style hammock and a 5x7 ultra light tarp. I'm heading to the fabric store today to get some materials for a DIY hammock. So if there are some "must reads" please point me to them so I can create a better sleep system.

Welcome to the madness.:D

www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

kinger
08-23-2008, 13:51
Hello All,
I'm new to the site. I found it while searching for information on hammock camping. I've been camping on the ground all my life, but in the last couple of years I've had 3 back surgeries. I just can't get comfortable on the ground anymore. I'm really excited about trying a hammock. I am planning on making my own bridge style hammock, and I'm thinking about purchasing either an HH expedition or an ENO double to spend some nights out this fall while deer hunting. Glad to read all the posts and learn here!

Pete

Ramblinrev
08-23-2008, 14:15
Kinger... I am in Central PA Used to be around Binghamton several years ago. We could arrange to meet at the Old Loggers Path or Loyalsock Trail or similar places if you wanted to checkout some gear and hanging styles and such. I am not an expert by any means, but I am very comfortable with the equipment that I have. That now includes a DMB with the BEEP mod which allows the Double Mode Bridge to adapt to a bottom entry. Might be a good thing for you considering your back surgery. I'd be happy to let you see it and check it out.

slowhike
08-23-2008, 16:01
Welcome to HF kinger.
Everybody's different but several members here (including myself) have had back surgery & found the hammock to be GREAT!

kinger
08-23-2008, 19:48
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'm sorry to hear, Slowhike, that you've had back trouble too, but I'm glad to hear it doesn't stop us from enjoying the outdoors. I don't know why I didn't think of hammocking earlier...just to unconventional I guess. Or too easy! I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a better way to use my tents. Missed the boat altogether!

RamblinRev, I'd be more than happy to meet up with you to take a look at your gear. I'm familiar with Milton as well, as our first "young bird pigeon race" of each year is released from Milton. Don't ask... :) I own a Southern Style family restaurant/tavern in Greene, NY. I specialize in BBQ smoked over a long slow hardwood fire. If you wanted to try it out sometime, I'd be happy to trade you food for advice!

slowhike
08-23-2008, 20:00
I own a Southern Style family restaurant/tavern in Greene, NY. I specialize in BBQ smoked over a long slow hardwood fire. If you wanted to try it out sometime, I'd be happy to trade you food for advice!

Wow Ramb... you lucky dog:D

Ramblinrev
08-23-2008, 20:49
Wow.... I lived in Franklin and Oxford for a while. Stompin' ground revisited. Course.. no body up there ever wants to see me again... but that's ok. At the moment I got a slight problem with gas for the car... but I could work out getting up to woods for a bit to hang. Let me know when it would work for you. I have a HH Safari (big beastie) I built a DIY Bridge for my wife and I am putting the finishing touches on the reworked DMB BEEP mod. That one needs broke in in the woods at some point. Right now it thinks the back yard is the universe.

I do need to get some more scouting done for a hang along the Pine Creek Gorge (GrandCanyon of PA) that I have planned in Oct. If you wanted to combine a hike with the ground show we could kill two birds with one stone.

As far as the food goes... I've eaten dinner tonight... but I'm sure we could work something out. And the next time you are going to get down to Milton... let me know...

Roadtorque
08-23-2008, 21:00

Welcome to the fourm. Great to have another AZ hammocker. I think you make three:D

In The Air
08-26-2008, 18:51
It all started a couple of years ago while camping in the Adirondacks on a kayaking trip. One of the kayakers in the group had set up his Clark hammock at his campsite. I liked the concept of a hammock but felt that his was not quite right for me. So I started a search for one that would be good for my needs. This search brought me to Hammock Forums and many hours of reading before purchasing a Claytor. Then more hours of reading to change the straps and add a buckle. Thanks to all for making this a great site.

stonecold
08-29-2008, 03:48
i did,nt lurk for long honest . found the site on wednesday and been posting ever since great site.

DJames
08-29-2008, 08:51
Lurked
Acquired (Hammocks (3))
Replied (to this thread)
Back to Lurking (nothing to add yet)

:rolleyes:

GrizzlyAdams
08-29-2008, 08:55
Lurked
Acquired (Hammocks (3))
Replied (to this thread)

Promised pictures of setup
Had amazing weekend hanging, took fabulous pictures
Posted pictures on HF

Back to Lurking

tiptoe
08-31-2008, 20:37
I've lurked here for ages, and I've learned a lot. I'm an AT hiker, section by section, and I travel with an HH Backpacker Asym and a 9x9 Sportsman's Guide tarp. It's a perfect setup for thunderstorms and heavy rains, as this year's Vermont hike proved.

slowhike
08-31-2008, 20:51
I've lurked here for ages, and I've learned a lot. I'm an AT hiker, section by section, and I travel with an HH Backpacker Asym and a 9x9 Sportsman's Guide tarp. It's a perfect setup for thunderstorms and heavy rains, as this year's Vermont hike proved.

Good to have you on board tiptoe.

Trail Monkey
09-01-2008, 20:50
Hi everyone. Eddie here. Just joined up after buying one of Preacha Mans Tarps and Hammocks. I am hooked so here I am.

Eddie

slowhike
09-01-2008, 21:14
Hi everyone. Eddie here. Just joined up after buying one of Preacha Mans Tarps and Hammocks. I am hooked so here I am.

Eddie

Welcome to the good life<G>.

bkrownd
09-02-2008, 18:19
I lurk when I give up on the old knots and need new ones. ;)

bigeeh
09-02-2008, 22:28
Hi all,

I bought my first hammock this summer and used it on a bike trip on BC's west coast. Prior to buying I lurked for hours gathering information to make a purchase decision. Since then I have come back a few times a week just to read stories. So far I love my Claytor & am thankful for the advice I gleaned from you all.

Ernest

Roadtorque
07-31-2009, 14:46
Been a while since this has come up and seems like there have been a few recent post starting with "I've been lurking for a while now". Just giving this a bump for those that might want to say hi. Welcome to hammock forums you post reading, hammock hanging ninjas.

BER
07-31-2009, 15:30
<lurk.....lurk.....lurk>
**** they caught me!

My name is BER. I'm a junior member.
I've been a ground dweller for 22 years.
My last ground dwelling was 56 days ago...

I've had an ENO DN for 3 years now but never used if for more than an intermittent lounge. I bought two HH for my myself and bride, but we never used them cuz I didn't like the lay, the bottom entrance (seemed like a good idea at the time), and the idea of sleeping away from my wife. Ultimately I sold one, and gave away the other. I'm ashamed of what my life had become...

But through the help of this program, umm forum, I'm trying to change my life. I'm changing out the suspension of the ENO for spyderline, polyester webbing and cinch buckles. I've got JRB insulation ordered. I'm (almost) ready to HANG!

I'm a new man with a new direction!

Now going back to lurking.

<lurk.....lurk.....lurk>:cool:

stickboy
07-31-2009, 15:52
Hi I am a lurker I have a HH and Mac cat tarp I love my hammock!!! And love reading Hammockform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exdiver
07-31-2009, 16:30
Been reading MANY of the post on the forum. Was planning to build a hammock, but found the Kalisto at Wally-World. Tried it, like it, began retro-fitting it. Made a Risk style bugnet on a newly aqquired "gear making" machine. Made gear pockets for added ridgeline. And the quest continues. Thanks to great info here my addiction is in full bloom. Summer underquilt mod to sleeping bag on the drawing board (youth model synthetic camo bag to go under the knife shortly).

Canardly
07-31-2009, 17:17
and accumulating stuff. What happened is that I did a week long canoe trip in the Boundary Waters this summer and after that many nights on the ground I knew something had to be better. I hate feeling like I'm getting older, but I'll be the first to admit that sleeping on the ground on a pad is not acceptable to my 'old bones' any more.

I bought a Blackbird recently based on what I read here and just for fun I also got a JRB bridge hammock which I'll use this weekend for the first time. Underquilts have certainly made this sleep mode fully functional for us and I can't see going back to the ground anytime soon (at least below timberline).

It's funny how sometimes a person's perception of what is normal or even acceptable (ie. sleeping on hard pads, wetness, confined tents, etc) can be so easily changed when a slightly different way of doing things is tried out and found to be better.

kinger
07-31-2009, 20:00
I guess you could call me a LONG-TIME lurker! I've been a member for about a year, but I've been doing nothing but lurking! No, wait, I bought a Clark NA today from here! My lurking has paid off! And now I need to lurk some more and figure out what to do about pads and underquilts! Oh, and how to set this thing up...and...I better go lurk...got lots to learn.

Thanks for a really great and informative site!

KLRBear
08-01-2009, 09:56
Hi. My name is Randy and I am a lurker. It has been two days since my last lurk but I feel that with the right support I can overcome my lurking addiction. I am afraid that I have steered others (potential lurkers ) to HF adding to the lurker problem. Sorry everyone. I just want to thank all who have posted here for the wealth of information. I drive a truck and primarily hang to relieve back pain. I find that I sleep better in my Enos Double than I do in my Sleep Number bed. I currently do not hike or backpack but am content to camp out in my woods. I usually have three hammocks hung in different locations on my property. I do have a problem don't I? Thanks again for the site and info.

nobanjo15
08-01-2009, 14:10
I've read HF for quite a while, maybe 3 years, have posted once or twice. I'm not the most forthcoming of people and generally listen rather than speak. When I get home after a tough job or demanding project at work I can rely on HF threads/posters to restore my faith in mankind.

PuckerFactor
08-01-2009, 14:14
Heading out for my first hang right now! Been reading a lot of the posts and posting a bit, so I'm not an official lurker, but figured I'd show my face in here anyway.
I haven't got my tarp kit from Ed Speer yet, so I'll be sporting Big Blue, but it's okay just this once. ;)

Pictures to follow in my gallery!
Acer

medestar
08-01-2009, 21:40
Hi, Been lurking for several months now. First tried a hammock last summer, and will never go back to the ground. Got a Clark NA and took it to Isle Royale this year, and loved it. Still a lot to learn, and am now trying to determine about underquilts/overquilts. Greatyly enjoyed the information learned, and seeing what others are doing. Keep it up.

DocCaliz
08-02-2009, 12:03
Afternoon folks, I 've been reading a little over a 3 months. i finally registered a little over a month ago. I come from the school that your read more and post much less often as the great majority of the questions I had as newbie have been answered by searching and reading! :)

So a little about myself, I have recently begun hiking and backpacking again for pleasure. I did so alot in High school but then I joined the Army. I did spend i bit of time outdoor when I was in the Army national guard but that was for work and not as much fun.

Im a former Army Medic, Deployed to Bosnia and later Iraq. I got out in late 2007 after a little over 11 year of service. I work at a residential psych facility for boys whom have been abandoned, neglected and abused. I just started my 9th year of employment there.

I got interested in the Hammock idea after it was discused on another forum I frequent and then I found this place and have been reading since. I own a Skeeter Beeter pro now and am considering something with out the bug net for my day hikes( fits in my smaller bag better). I have made a few modification based on things I have read here. Most of my Gear is Military grade stuff I have accumulated over the year or upgraded my issue equipment. Im trying to lighten my load up but II still want durable gear that i don't have to baby to keep it in good working condition. My next big purchase will ba a tarp to replace my walmart 8x10 cammo tarp. Finding a lighter tarp in a earth toned color is a PITA. Any body got a source?

I look forward to my stay here look like you guy have formed a great community!

VegaMike
08-02-2009, 17:47
Welcome, DocCaliz. Just wanted to thank you for your service to our country.

Big D
08-02-2009, 18:30
Welcome DC.

Speer, JRB, and HH all have earth tone tarps.

sir_n0thing
08-02-2009, 20:28
I guess this is the place to announce my lurkiness? ;)

I've actually posted a couple of times over the past few days (questions about DIY tarp and general thoughts on trying to decide which hammock to purchase as my first). I haven't been lurking here THAT long... maybe a month or so? But anyway...

You guys have a great community here, and the fervor that your tree-dwellers exude is unparalleled in all of the camping world! I've been very interested in joining y'all up off the ground, but I'm having a heck of a time deciding what to buy first. And of course no matter which specific make/model you care to mention, there are ten people immediately declaring it to be the best ever! Heheh....

Back to rooting through the vast amounts of knowledge in this forum...

sir_n0thing

Harpo63
08-02-2009, 20:54
This forum has cost me plenty.......:D

I've aquired too many hammocks, straps, cords, rings, buckles and tarps in the few short months I've been here. I just picked up my mother-in-laws old sewing machine. (like I don't have enough hobbies already)

Seriously, great forum with a lot of help. Happy to be a contributing member.

That has been my thought lately since I found this forum... been thinking about what I need to get... any new things related to hammock camping have not been considered for our future spending yet... its like having a new hobby now!

napakettu
08-03-2009, 07:21
Hi. I've been a lurker for about a year, but no more. Now I posted. I learned a lot here while lurking. Thanks for all the info. Now I'm at the point where I do my owns mods, so I'll keep sharing the knowledge.

Rain Man
08-03-2009, 07:31
Im a former Army Medic, Deployed to Bosnia and later Iraq. I got out in late 2007 after a little over 11 year of service. I work at a residential psych facility for boys whom have been abandoned, neglected and abused. I just started my 9th year of employment there.

Thanks for your service to your country, abroad and at home!

Like you, I like earth tone gear and you are right, it can be hard to fine in the selections I want. Oh well, a piddly thing.

Rain Man

UncleMJM
08-03-2009, 11:13
Well said.

I've been lurking for about a year but I'm in the process of building my first two hammocks (one for me and one for the wife) based on HC4U's HH clone instructions.

Nothing wrong with benefitting from the knowledge of others and limiting the evidence of ignorance. At least that's what I try to do some.

Bring yourself, your wife and your HH Clones to the Texas Fall Hammock hang - it's not far from Magnolia.

MacEntyre
08-03-2009, 15:53
I'm a binge lurker... every few months I fall off the wagon and become a binge poster.

BTW, I noticed that page 4 of this thread has only one post from a lurker!

DocCaliz
08-05-2009, 14:20
Thanks for the kudos guy, I do appreciate your kindness and hospitality.

canoebie
08-05-2009, 14:31
Funny thing, noticed that there are 2,561 views and 79 responses. Must be a boatload of lurkers out there. :lol:

buzzard
08-05-2009, 14:44
yep. i'm guilty of this also. i think the lurker to poster ratio can be depicted as a pyramid, with lurkers being the base two thirds, then occasional posters, & the board-o-holics being only the tip. (i did see a diagram of this somewhere).

it's easy to think (in any subject / forums) that posters are the majority but this is often not the case. but it doesn't hurt to spread the word if you think it will help someone :)

Lowend
08-05-2009, 15:03
Hi,
My Name is Tony Tex and I'm a Hammock Forum Addict.....

I've been reading this forum for several months and it has led to the purchase of my first hammock and I'm currently saving funds for a Tarp. This place is like one of those adventure books where you can read a few pages and then your given an option as to which page to jump to next as opposed to just going in order. The wealth of information and banter here is great, I often get so caught up in the reading of it that I don't necessarily think to post. I also find that the answers to my questions are generally found here before I need to ask them if I just search long enough. All that being said I can report that I've found a place to hang my hammock indoors and that I hang more nights than not in my studio these days, but soon I'll have an opportunity to get out of the city for a bit and I know what will be in my pack. Thanks for being here and have a good night.

2Questions
08-05-2009, 15:27
Hi. I've been a lurker for about a year, but no more. Now I posted. I learned a lot here while lurking. Thanks for all the info. Now I'm at the point where I do my owns mods, so I'll keep sharing the knowledge.

I spent some time in Finland back in the 70's and really enjoyed the country. Great folks, food, and lots of trees!! Glad to have you on the forum. What part of Finland are you from?

Lynx
08-05-2009, 23:39
Well, I officially "decloaked" about a week ago so I'm not really a lurker anymore, but I am still very much a newbie! As I mentioned in my first post in the Warbonnet forum, I rediscovered camping about a year ago. I first began to get interested in hammocks this spring after repeatedly finding myself unable to get a good night's sleep in a tent no matter what pad or mattress I used.

I began to lurk here on HF, and quickly became addicted both to the idea of hammock camping, and to this friendly and welcoming community. After getting my bearings I ended up placing an order with Warbonnetguy for a
Blackbird, a Yeti UQ, and a tarp. While waiting for all three to arrive I continued to browse HF religiously (a sponge comes to mind:rolleyes:), with the result that I was able to set up my new BB within a few minutes for the first time today.

I am really grateful to all of the members of this forum for taking the time to answer questions (often the same ones), give advice with gear, suggest shortcuts, etc., etc. I know that I, for one, would probably have either wasted a whole lot of time and money figuring things out for myself, or
-worse- have given up in frustration and gone back to sleeping -poorly- in the mud:scared:

Anyhow, nice to meet all of you!

Lynx

Booya
08-06-2009, 01:20
I'm a bigtime lurker. Still a hammock noobie though. I find that I don't really have to post questions because 99% of the time that I've searched the forum, it's already been asked. So, maybe when I get some more experience under my belt, I will have more to share. I did just get a sewing machine off craigslist last week, and made my first UQ with the REI heat blanket and an old synthetic sleeping bag. So, I'm on my way. :D

Watty
08-06-2009, 02:22
My name is Bryan, I live in Southern Wyoming. I really wish I would have found this whole hammock camping thing years ago. Atleast earlier in the summer. I have a camping trip planned this weekend and really would like to try a hammock but can't get it one in time. Maybe next time. I hate to be a "lurker" but was just checking everything out. Anyways hang in there :P

oldgringo
08-06-2009, 07:51
I really have no idea how I stumbled upon this little corner of cyberspace, but I'm glad I did.

Been a tenter all my life, but the back has about had all of that it can take.

Just ordered a Claytor JH, largely because the amount of info/choices here is overwhelming for a newb, and the Claytor seemed like a good way to test the waters for not too much $. No one seems to have anything really bad to say about it.

Thinking about finding a group hang to visit, ask questions, drink beer, etc.

That's about as wordy as I ever get...thanks, y'all.

Dave

spinkid
08-07-2009, 09:56
I broke the silence a few weeks ago and did my HH to Ring mod and posted about that. I spend way more time here than I should, but I enjoy reading all the valuable info. I know my level of hammock knowledge is not great, so I prefer to gather all the info and try it out with my limited backpacking time, and I will post as I learn more......and now back to work...haha

Pastorus
08-07-2009, 20:14
I don't FEEL like a lurker. Surely the answers to all my questions are somewhere in one of these posts. I didn't want to be a newbie that keeps asking the same questions over and over.

Converting to hanging was bitter-sweet for me. My base pack had just broken the SUL 5 pound barrier. NOW, with the addition of the HH Hyperlite and POUNDS of insulation I am finally comfortable while I sleep, but am back to a heavier pack.

I am looking for the next big breakthrough in ultralight quilts. If my 20 degree down bag weighs only 24 ounces, when is someone going to build a combo underquilt/topquilt that weighs the same even just to function at 40 degrees?

LiquidSky
08-08-2009, 02:47
yeah I love this forum been readin for years just haven't had anythin i needed to say yet lol.

Cannibal
08-08-2009, 06:18
I am looking for the next big breakthrough in ultralight quilts. If my 20 degree down bag weighs only 24 ounces, when is someone going to build a combo underquilt/topquilt that weighs the same even just to function at 40 degrees?
I can get awfully close to that! My 3-season Yeti is about 12 ounces and my Shenandoah top quilt is about 16 ounces. Top quilt could loose a few ounces by making the footbox permanent and ditching the cordlocks and cord on the ends and stitching the footbox instead of using omni tape. I have two bags of down just sitting here waiting to be made into such a top quilt. Someday I'll have time to sit down and do it. :rolleyes:

Combo goes to 40F with no problems for me. :shades:

Pastorus
08-08-2009, 17:57
Cannibal, you sound like a fellow gram counter. You may have just resolved my quest. Does a Yeti fit nicely on a HH Hyperlite? AND What makes a Warbonnet better than a Hennessy?

Cannibal
08-08-2009, 21:05
Cannibal, you sound like a fellow gram counter. You may have just resolved my quest. Does a Yeti fit nicely on a HH Hyperlite? AND What makes a Warbonnet better than a Hennessy?
When you're a fat kid, every gram counts. :D
The Yetis fit fine on my Hennessys, but I don't have a Hyperlite to tell you for sure. Explorers and Expeditions; obviously not my light set-ups. The problem you'll have with the Yeti on a HH is that you need to be able to reach out and set it on your shoulder. Well, you don't have to be able to reach out, but it sure makes life easier. A zipper mod would be the best bet there.

I like the Blackbirds (Warbonnet) much better than any of my HHs for a whole chunk of reasons; comfort being at the top of the list. I have yet to find a camping hammock that comes anywhere near to providing the same level of comfort...for me. It is substantially flatter than my HHs and much roomier. The netting is usually against my forehead in a HH, not even close in my Blackbirds. I very much like the storage shelf in the Blackbirds and love the fact that I have a place for muddy/frozen boots where they won't have the chance to drip on me overnight. The side entry beats the bottom entry hands down in my world; not true for everyone. Then there is the fact that the maker of the Blackbird is an active member here and has been long before he was 'the man'. He listens to the users and makes changes based on our needs instead of his; big difference between that and HH. I will always give my money to vendors that participate here before a vendor that doesn't. I think it means something when these guys are willing to read about criticisms of their products. That's how better stuff gets made. :shades:

fiddlehead
08-08-2009, 21:15
Ok, i confess.
I lurked a bit, then joined yesterday.
I promise i'll try to post.

Pastorus
08-09-2009, 01:00
Cannibal,
Wow, you are my new best friend with summary answers like that. I am almost persuaded. Is second layer worth the extra weight? If I get a Yeti why would one get the second layer on the BB?

Cannibal
08-09-2009, 01:29
PM sent to avoid thread hijack.

Darby
11-08-2009, 19:49
53 guests ??? BUMP BUMP BUMP :scared::scared::scared:

gilla
11-08-2009, 21:41
I am a lurker! I have learned much from y'all and hopefully, soon, will have more to add.

G.L.P.
11-08-2009, 22:39
I lurked for a good while befor i posted.....not because i didn't want to post because i wanted to get a lay of the land so to speak...
i belong to a few forms...some i still never posted on...
i would say this is the best forms you will find.
the ppl are great,the info is great
and i feel right at home
you can't ask for anything better....ok...maybe winning the lotto would be better :D
one thing that makes HF stand out is that you don't feel pressured

abeldanger
11-09-2009, 18:52
Total lurker here in AZ. Been reading for a few months now. Love the info. Just got a ENO DoubleNest, some Strapworks straps and working on my first Whoopie Slings with an order of Amsteel that I got ahold of. Fun stuff.

mbiraman
11-10-2009, 16:23
I think i lurked for one or two days then joined and started asking questions cause i wanted to buy a hammock. I ordered a BB DL 1.1 a couple of days ago and am having the First Little Slocan Hang Festival in about ten days,,,,,,,,as soon as it gets here,,,,and i think I'm the only participant .

mbiraman
11-10-2009, 16:25
I lurked for a good while befor i posted.....not because i didn't want to post because i wanted to get a lay of the land so to speak...
i belong to a few forms...some i still never posted on...
i would say this is the best forms you will find.
the ppl are great,the info is great
and i feel right at home
you can't ask for anything better....ok...maybe winning the lotto would be better :D
one thing that makes HF stand out is that you don't feel pressured

+1 on that. This is a good forum and its because of the folks who participate here. I love the sharing feeling.

wheatus
11-11-2009, 19:35
i will admit to being a lurker, this is my first post after all. lots of good info here most every question i have has been answered by searching. (whiteblaze habit)

so hello to all and goodbye. i am slinking back to obscurity.

oldgringo
11-11-2009, 20:07
If you leave, and don't continue posting, you won't be eligible for the drawing!

bclarkmsu
11-17-2009, 11:51
I've been reading for about two months now. Just purchased a WBB new to me and waiting for it to get here. Thanks for all the great informtion.

Veto 65
11-17-2009, 14:34
Lurking and absorbing information. I will continue to do so untill I make my own gear. I hope to use it when the weather gets warmer and after making cold weather gear do some cold weather hanging next fall. HF is a friendly, entertaining, and informative site I will keep coming back at least once a day for more info. But for now concentrating on other projects and trying to keep my mind off of smoking. Thank you for your unsolicited guidance. I will post again I promise.

BTW-I didn't know I had a catagory.

dragonfly.hiker
11-17-2009, 15:05
trying to figure things out

Trout
11-17-2009, 21:19
I was a luker, but now I've "exposed" myself.

SunDog
11-17-2009, 21:41
I've lurked here for about 6 months and I'd like to say that I really appreciate the free exchange and sharing of ideas that goes on here.

I especially like the willingness to help others which seems to be the spirit of this forum.
Way cool.

A big Thanks to all the guys and gals that put so much effort into making this site informational and fun!

patriothomer
11-17-2009, 22:06
Hello fellow addicts! Not sure whether I am a newbie or lurker or uneducated novice spending every free moment trying to gain wisdom form the group. A fellow member (Barry) let me borrow his hammock on a recent scout campout after a number of previous outings nearly destroyed my back. One night off the ground and I was sold. He pointed me to a number of vendor sites and to this forum. I spent about three days pouring over the different posts, registered, and bought a HH Explorer UL Asym from Mrprez. If I get lucky, I'll be setting it up this weekend. Thanks to everyone for their great information.

Mize
11-17-2009, 22:39
I am probably like many others, a daily lurker and I jump in if and when I have something of value to add. I'm hiking the AT 30 or so miles at a time and am always looking to lighten my load and increase comfort. I had just started using a surplus military jungle hammock until I stumbled on this site and used the info here to upgrade to an ultra-comfortable DIY hammock. Learned in months what would have taken me years of trial and error. Just returned from bowhunting in Illinois and while the boys were sleeping in the travel trailer, I was outside in my hammock. Listened to a lot of verbal abuse until they tried the hammock and realized they could sleep in any positions more comfortably than in the trailer. Suddenly, I wasn't so crazy after all. I really enjoy this forum and plan on joining y'all at the next nearby hang.

fixt
11-18-2009, 13:10
I suppose that identifying myself in this thread would be a more than appropriate first post..

My name is Matt and I'm from Ontario, if there's anyone else local I wouldn't mind finding more hanging friends. I stumbled onto this site last spring and finally got around to registering last month. I spend a good share of time car camping, backpacking, and canoe camping and this site has been a really great resource and has helped me out with lots of questions I had about gear etc. Although, I've only hung twice I'm completely sold on hammocks and won't be spending any more time on the ground in the forseeable future.

I currently have a DIY single layer 1.1 asym that I have used for both a 5-day backpaking trip and a 4-day canoe camping trip in the interior of Algonquin Park. I coupled my DIY with a HH tarp that I borrowed from a friend. Both experiences were great.

On my first outing I did however learn that not all webbing is created equal as I woke up in the morning with my tush brushing the ground (still comfortable, mind you, but I got quite the razzing from my buddies).. The second night I learned about the proper tensioning requirements of a ridgeline to relieve stress from my very thin fabric hammock (I tore one end out, luckily it was repairable on site, this also scored me some unwanted attention from my friends). Nights 3 and 4, however, were amazing after getting those kinks ironed out.

My second trip was wonderful; it poured rain, the park was deserted (early November), and temperatures hovered from 2-8C for the trip. We saw lows of -5C at night and I was warm and toasty in my hammock with a ranger blanket slung over my ridgeline, a blue ccf full length mat, and a 0C down bag. It poured rain the first two days and I was so incredibly thankful I wasn't sleeping on the ground.

Based on what I've learned on this site I'm now looking to upgrade to a more professionally engineered set-up and I have all of you to credit for the wishlist that I have generated.

Thanks,
Matt.

Edit: Spelling.

angrysparrow
11-18-2009, 13:17
I suppose that identifying myself in this thread would be a more than appropriate first post..

Great intro... Do stick around and post more often!

moski
11-18-2009, 13:51

Welcome :thumbup:

Just Jeff
11-22-2009, 16:03
Did an overnighter hiking south out of Harper's Ferry last weekend and ran into a lurker...I don't think he told me his username but it was nice to see another HFer out there. He had a JRB BMBH and seemed very happy with it. Talked for a short time around the fire before he headed off to bed. (Glad they already had a small fire going b/c it had rained for three days before that...same rains that caused Norfolk to flood.)

Anyway - lurkers are always welcome but there's no need to feel like you don't have anything to offer just b/c you don't have a lot of experience. Many newbies offer a new way of looking at things, or simply asking a question may cause someone with a lot of experience to re-examine old methods. Everyone's welcome to participate! Or lurk, if that's still what you prefer.

Roadtorque
01-16-2011, 09:50
It's been over a year...bump

nairbboy23
01-17-2011, 11:12
I am defiantly more of a lurker than a poster. The vast amount of information that is found on this site has defiantly bit me hard with the DIY bug. I just recently figured out I have hammock gear making addiction. So I don't know if all the time I spend looking (lurking) though the HF is acting as therapy or an enabler. Anyways I would like to thank all the awesome conversations everyone have here for making my two big passions of gear making and gear using that much more cooler.

SamD
01-17-2011, 16:23
Do I count as a "LURKER!" hehehehe

cutty
01-17-2011, 17:30
Yeah I lurk. I stumbled into Shugs videos. thats what brought me here. I camp throughout most the year mostly limited to back of pickup topper and I keep my 22' camper in the woods throughout hunting season. I nap in portable hammock w/stand. Look forward to obtaining some of the hang equipment that you guys have. No funds right now I have two canvas/jungle military we got for the kids awhile back. I don't trust them for me.I will now go back to lurking.

islander
02-09-2011, 05:55
Doh!:scared: Busted...:cool: Happy Hangs all.

sswens
02-09-2011, 09:48
Drawing im in!!
lurked for a few days of watching some youtube videos from some of the hf members and was hooked Then ordered up a hennessy and recieved 1 free due to the holiday special,I have to say I Am having a good time reading all the info and getting my gear together so i may partake in a group hang Someday!! But No more lurking i want to win the prize!

Darby
11-30-2011, 11:20
As of 11:25 AM 118 Members 226 visitors:scared:

BlueRibbon
07-29-2020, 09:35
Been hanging for about a year in PA and NJ. Finally created an account to look at some of the DIY hammock stands.

Here are a few pics from my trips, thanks for all the tips!

WB BB | French Creek State Park, PA

WB BB | Parvin State Park, NJ

WB - RR | Pine Barrens, NJ

Chetters
07-29-2020, 09:54
Just made my official first post, I've been a lurker for a few years. Thank you to everyone who has contributed and made my hammock experience so much better.

TallPaul
07-30-2020, 02:32
Been hanging for about a year in PA and NJ. Finally created an account to look at some of the DIY hammock stands.

Here are a few pics from my trips, thanks for all the tips!

WB BB | French Creek State Park, PA

WB BB | Parvin State Park, NJ

WB - RR | Pine Barrens, NJ

Just made my official first post, I've been a lurker for a few years. Thank you to everyone who has contributed and made my hammock experience so much better.

Glad to hear from both of ya.

old4hats
07-30-2020, 07:23
Definitely not a new member, nor a lurker. What I am is extremely happy to have had the opportunity to learn from developing experts on the fine art of hammock camping. From its beginnings, hammockforums.net, has been a forum for inquiring minds to share thoughts on this fine art. Through their sharing ideas, successes, yes and failures, the community at large has profited. From hammock construction, tarp construction, periphery gear, packable food, and more than space allows to add here, this forum has been a great benefit to all who love the outdoors. Keep reading, and if something new to you pops up in your thinking, please share, it just might be the next great idea.

justinae
08-07-2020, 00:29
Was a casual lurker. Guess I'm out now. Glad to be here. Still getting the hang of it.