PDA

View Full Version : BIAS Weight Weenie ? for those weighting 210-220

lazy river road
06-04-2012, 08:38
Hi yall,

So I recently purchased a Weight Weenie BIAS Hammock and am so excited and cant wait to get my BIAS :laugh:. BTW their communication and customer service is absolutely excellent. At 7.52 ounces (and mine will be a bit lighter cause I got a dynaglide RL and dynaglide continuous loops) I am just jumping for joy.

The weight capacity is listed at 250 and I weigh between 210-220. So by all technicalities this hammock should hold me. I really wanted to test it out regardless and do NOT regret the purchase but I am curious to other peoples experiences none the less.

My number one concern is the stretch and not being able to get a flat lay. My second concern is always that of failure :eek:. Now please don't get me wrong I trust our vendors and BIAS however still a bit concerned about the failure part but more the comfort part. The 1.1 single Warbonnet Traveler weight capacity is listed at 200 lbs so I am curious as to why the difference in weight capacity BIAS Weight Weenie listed at 250. (PLEASE don't allow that question to turn this thread into a heated discussion I own several Warbonnet Hammocks and love them and am very excited about my BIAS hammock) I know on the BIAS website they talk about a triple stitching method they use as to why the higher weight capacity but I guess I am searching for some more peace of mind and maby some technical answers. I am just curious to hear other peoples opinions and how they found the comfort to be Inc a weight weenie who weight apx. the same as me. Or any ones opinion for that matter.

Thankeee for all those that chime in,

Peace
LRR

QiWiz
06-04-2012, 09:51
in both backyard and on trail hangs, at 225 lbs.

MAD777
06-04-2012, 10:35
I have hammocks that are constructed of 1.5 single, 1.1 double, 2.5 single, and 1.7 double. At 200 pounds, there is a tremendous difference in stretch. Not saying "good" or "bad", just different. I have no qualms about any of these hammocks keeping me off the ground.

I would love to hear your feedback once you get your hammock compared to others you have used.

Two Tents
06-04-2012, 10:54
I too have other hammocks from different cottage vendors and Grand Trunk, Hennessy, ect. I use and like them all. Not knocking any of them either. I recently got a BIAS Weight Weenie and it is massive. It holds me fine at 225. Flat lay. As flat as any others I own. I didn't notice any abnormal stretch. It is a wide one. I am still dialing it in so it keeps getting better. The adjustable RL is the ticket. Very cool. I may change over a couple other hammocks to adj RL's. Trail and backyard tested. Approved.

lazy river road
06-06-2012, 10:54
Thanks guys, this makes me even more excited about my Weight Weenie,

Two Tents I ordered the standard RL cause that's what on all my other hammocks however I guess Ill have to whip up an adjustable one if need be. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Sidewinder
06-06-2012, 13:10
I have the WW Micro and weight 190. It does stretch but not uncomfortable so. I think you would be fine with the WW.

S

lazy river road
06-14-2012, 22:55
So I tried out my WW in the back yard for an hour or two and found it to have a bit more stretch then I'd like almost to the point of me not really finding it to comfortable. I weigh between 210-215 and the weight limit is 250. So Well see what happens from here. :confused: maby Ill give it another go or end up selling it. Or give it to my nephew cause he asked for a hammock for his Birthday :laugh:

Callahan
06-14-2012, 23:18
So I tried out my WW in the back yard for an hour or two and found it to have a bit more stretch then I'd like almost to the point of me not really finding it to comfortable. I weigh between 210-215 and the weight limit is 250. So Well see what happens from here. :confused: maby Ill give it another go or end up selling it. Or give it to my nephew cause he asked for a hammock for his Birthday :laugh:

Might be worth giving it another shot. I had to hang in mine a few times and build an adjustable ridgeline, but I now have it dialed in and it seems to have an extremely comfortable, repeatable sweet spot. Hope it works out!

Cheers :D

Sidewinder
06-15-2012, 00:37

I say give it another try. Flatten her out and spend the night. Report back in the morning.

S

swankfly
06-15-2012, 11:56
Lot's of reading and researching the threads caused me to send several emails and PM's this week, I spoke to Brian at BIAS this morning, ordered the WW Micro in DL w/ Knotty Mods. I went DL because in case you havent heard there are some rather large mosquitos in Louisiana and I also want to stick my full length neoair xlite in between layers when it is cooler. I also ordered the buginator. The only bad news is they are gaining in popularity SOO fast there is a 10 lead time on production, so here I sit waiting...

Hey Moderator, probably need to look at starting a BIAS thread soon!

Cant wait! Will report my findings as they develop. If the product is half as good as the customer service, it's gonna be awesome.

THANKS, BRIAN!

jbrianb
06-16-2012, 13:44
Lot's of reading and researching the threads caused me to send several emails and PM's this week, I spoke to Brian at BIAS this morning, ordered the WW Micro in DL w/ Knotty Mods. I went DL because in case you havent heard there are some rather large mosquitos in Louisiana and I also want to stick my full length neoair xlite in between layers when it is cooler. I also ordered the buginator. The only bad news is they are gaining in popularity SOO fast there is a 10 lead time on production, so here I sit waiting...

Cant wait! Will report my findings as they develop. If the product is half as good as the customer service, it's gonna be awesome.

THANKS, BRIAN!

Wes: When we started, everything was 7 days. I am not sure if the 10 day shipping that has now become normal is a result of our poor planning, exhaustion, volume or a little bit of all of it. Anyway, we are working to build up some inventory of standard items (which got depleted) and hopefully we can return to our 7-day order-to-door shipping. Thanks one and all for being so good to us.

spaceweaseal
06-16-2012, 15:21

THANKS, BRIAN!

It is well worth the wait time...
i have the ww in DL with the knotty mod and it is my hammock of choice and the Micro is always in my daypack .

lazy river road
06-16-2012, 15:30
I say give it another try. Flatten her out and spend the night. Report back in the morning.

S

Havent had a chance to test it out again but defiantly not giving up yet.

jbrianb
06-17-2012, 16:22

I won't deny some stretch in the WW, but I've used one quite a bit (at 230 lbs) and I find it pretty low (again, it's there, but within the realm of what I call minor) on stretch. What suspension system are you using? I ask this because the first time I got in a hammock, It stretched a ton. Turns out it wasn't the hammock, but the ENO SlapStraps my friend set up. Polyester webbing and AmSteel have ZERO stretch. If you're using polypro straps, you'll get a tiny bit more stretch than with polyester. If you're using nylon, you may as well use bungee.

If you try polyester webbing and still find the stretch unmanageable, it has to be the hammock. I'd be disappointed to hear that was the case, but I understand and would be willing to work with you on a return.

Holler back at me via email if you find it won't work.

Thanks, LRR!

SilvrSurfr
06-18-2012, 18:48
What suspension system are you using? I ask this because the first time I got in a hammock, It stretched a ton. Turns out it wasn't the hammock, but the ENO SlapStraps my friend set up. Polyester webbing and AmSteel have ZERO stretch.

If an old pro like LRR is using ENO SlapStraps or any nylon strap, I'll eat them. They taste good lightly salted and are high in fiber. Then again, maybe he has a museum of hammock-related items, kind of like I still have my first IBM laptop with two floppy drives, weighed 15 or 20 lbs., and I just can't get rid of it. I still have fond memories of using that laptop in college.

I can see how stretch, however minor, could be annoying to some people. One of my first hammocks, the Byer Mosquito Hammock, is quite stretchy, in my opinion, but the stretchiness does not annoy me. There's a lot of things that annoy me about that hammock, but the stretchiness isn't one of them.

I have a BIAS DL, and I don't notice any stretchiness. Then again, one would expect less stretch from a DL, I think.

If the Weight Weenie doesn't work out for you, LRR, I'll take it. I've been eyeing one for a while.

MAD777
06-18-2012, 19:51
I think the stretch as related to comfort is a personal preference thing. Perhaps we need to add another factor in addition to weight when selecting a hammock material.

The prospective hanger should be asked whether they like to sleep on a hard mattress at home or a marshmallow of a mattress, or something in between. I suspect that the person that likes a hard mattress at home won't tolerate a lot of stretch in their hammock. Nor will the person sleeping on a marshmallow at home, prefer a non-stretching polyester hammock.

Then again, I could be completely wrong :confused:

jbrianb
06-18-2012, 23:11
I think the stretch as related to comfort is a personal preference thing. Perhaps we need to add another factor in addition to weight when selecting a hammock material.

The prospective hanger should be asked whether they like to sleep on a hard mattress at home or a marshmallow of a mattress, or something in between. I suspect that the person that likes a hard mattress at home won't tolerate a lot of stretch in their hammock. Nor will the person sleeping on a marshmallow at home, prefer a non-stretching polyester hammock.

No... I think you're right. And LRR is probably picking up on that stretch. I see it as minor, but Mad, you're right... It's all about preference. I like my mattress SLIGHTLY soft otherwise my hip gets numb from side sleeping! And I don't doubt/argue that there is stretch in the hammock. To me... barely discernible. But if it were food and someone tossed some curry in it, I could taste it (and gag) from across the street. Same for some with hammock stretch as you say. It's why there are so many hammock options and makers. Lots of choices for discerning users!

SilvrSurfr
06-19-2012, 01:15

That's a great analogy - not sure it's completely transferable from beds to hammocks, but still a great analogy. For example, I like hard beds, but I don't necessarily care about stretch in a hammock. The hammock sleep, to me, transcends issues of soft vs. hard, but for some it may not.

It may be that I just need to experience more hammocks, stretchier versus non-stretchy material, and then I will have more a more nuanced opinion of what I like. In all likelihood, the more hammocks you try, the more educated you will be about your own personal preferences.

For example, I tried the Warbonnet Blackbird for one night. The night I tried it, I was late getting to camp, was unfamiliar with the strap suspension, never got it pitched right (foot end higher than head), and it was 17 degrees and my fingers lost the desire to fiddle with it anymore. I just jumped in, didn't have it dialed in, and didn't have a great night's sleep. I was also undergoing an epiphany that I didn't particularly like integrated bugnets in winter. So I didn't give the WBBB a fair shake at all. I didn't like it, but one night is not a fair evaluation. I know that. One day I will buy one and give it a more thorough evaluation to see if it meets my needs.

That's the great thing about this forum: you can buy it, try it, sell it, and not lose much in the long run. And if you reconsider a certain product, you can do it all again!

MAD777
06-19-2012, 05:53
Taking the WBBB that you mentioned as an example, it comes in 1.1 and 1.7 oz material and there's a double layer version of each. That's 4 different "hardness" settings. It kind of sounds like a "Sleep Number" bed! :lol:

jbrianb
06-19-2012, 10:25
Taking the WBBB that you mentioned as an example, it comes in 1.1 and 1.7 oz material and there's a double layer version of each. That's 4 different "hardness" settings. It kind of sounds like a "Sleep Number" bed! :lol:

:lol: I like that. I'm going to remember that one. We can apply that logic to our Camper DL - super hard setting. Camper SL - Moderately firm. WW DL - Moderate. WW SL - Soft. WWM DL - Medium. WW SL - Super soft.

neo
06-19-2012, 10:34
i got mine yesterday but i am sending it back.i want to have the hammock shortened 1 foot and the ridge line shortened 6 inches:cool:neo

neo
06-19-2012, 10:55
none of my tarps will work with this hammock.i dont think my 3/4 length under quilts will either..i hope to have this hammock shortened will work.i have to have this hammock shortened to 9 ft 6 inches and the ridge line shortened accordingly.:cool:neo

lazy river road
06-20-2012, 09:50
Hey Guys, Sorry I have not been around I was out in the Piney woods. I think its important to mention something that I forgot to mention. The customer service of BIAS, the quality of the hammock, Stitching and the willingness to customize the hammock for my needs were all excellent. I am very happy with the hammock I just do not think it's the hammock for me. Brian that is no knock on your product and please don't take it personally as you make one fine hammock. Biran and all of BIAS staff have provided excellent customer service.

I won't deny some stretch in the WW, but I've used one quite a bit (at 230 lbs) and I find it pretty low (again, it's there, but within the realm of what I call minor) on stretch. What suspension system are you using? I ask this because the first time I got in a hammock, It stretched a ton. Turns out it wasn't the hammock, but the ENO SlapStraps my friend set up. Polyester webbing and AmSteel have ZERO stretch. If you're using polypro straps, you'll get a tiny bit more stretch than with polyester. If you're using nylon, you may as well use bungee.

If you try polyester webbing and still find the stretch unmanageable, it has to be the hammock. I'd be disappointed to hear that was the case, but I understand and would be willing to work with you on a return.

Holler back at me via email if you find it won't work.

Thanks, LRR!

Hey Brian thanks for the reply, I am currently using dynaglide woopies and Dutch Straps which is the same suspension I use on all my hammocks so I do not think its the suspension system. I will send you an email shortly.

If an old pro like LRR is using ENO SlapStraps or any nylon strap, I'll eat them. They taste good lightly salted and are high in fiber. Then again, maybe he has a museum of hammock-related items, kind of like I still have my first IBM laptop with two floppy drives, weighed 15 or 20 lbs., and I just can't get rid of it. I still have fond memories of using that laptop in college.

I use slap straps ;) would you like them BBQ, slow roasted, or sauteed.

I can see how stretch, however minor, could be annoying to some people. One of my first hammocks, the Byer Mosquito Hammock, is quite stretchy, in my opinion, but the stretchiness does not annoy me. There's a lot of things that annoy me about that hammock, but the stretchiness isn't one of them.

I have a BIAS DL, and I don't notice any stretchiness. Then again, one would expect less stretch from a DL, I think.

If the Weight Weenie doesn't work out for you, LRR, I'll take it. I've been eyeing one for a while.

Thanks Silver Surfer Ill shoot you a PM.

MAD777 you hit the nail right on the head for me excellent point and way of explaining this situation. It's not that their is anything wrong with the hammock or craftsmanship its just I personally find their to be to much stretch while it does not seem like it bothers other I find it uncomfortable for me personally. Ive used various hammocks and I like a very low stretch hammock. The most comfortable hammock I've used is a WBBB and Traveler 1.1 DBL find very low stretch. I even find the Traveler 1.75 to be right on the cusp of being to stretchy. I wanted to try this BIAS 1.1 single out to see how light I could really go but am not willing to sacrifice the comfort of my sleep to save the ounces. I like my mattress and pillow at home to be firm. I do not like sleeping with a sinking feeling. So this just leads me to believe that I need a very low stretch hammock.

No... I think you're right. And LRR is probably picking up on that stretch. I see it as minor, but Mad, you're right... It's all about preference. I like my mattress SLIGHTLY soft otherwise my hip gets numb from side sleeping! And I don't doubt/argue that there is stretch in the hammock. To me... barely discernible. But if it were food and someone tossed some curry in it, I could taste it (and gag) from across the street. Same for some with hammock stretch as you say. It's why there are so many hammock options and makers. Lots of choices for discerning users!

You got it, and I do pick up on that stretch. That does not mean that it is not an excellent hammock it just means that it does not work for me.

That's a great analogy - not sure it's completely transferable from beds to hammocks, but still a great analogy. For example, I like hard beds, but I don't necessarily care about stretch in a hammock. The hammock sleep, to me, transcends issues of soft vs. hard, but for some it may not.

It may be that I just need to experience more hammocks, stretchier versus non-stretchy material, and then I will have more a more nuanced opinion of what I like. In all likelihood, the more hammocks you try, the more educated you will be about your own personal preferences.

For example, I tried the Warbonnet Blackbird for one night. The night I tried it, I was late getting to camp, was unfamiliar with the strap suspension, never got it pitched right (foot end higher than head), and it was 17 degrees and my fingers lost the desire to fiddle with it anymore. I just jumped in, didn't have it dialed in, and didn't have a great night's sleep. I was also undergoing an epiphany that I didn't particularly like integrated bugnets in winter. So I didn't give the WBBB a fair shake at all. I didn't like it, but one night is not a fair evaluation. I know that. One day I will buy one and give it a more thorough evaluation to see if it meets my needs.

That's the great thing about this forum: you can buy it, try it, sell it, and not lose much in the long run. And if you reconsider a certain product, you can do it all again!

So very true, I will be sending you a PM.

And again MAD777 that's my thoughts exactly. Like I mentioned before the 1.75 single traveler is right on the cusp of being to stretchy for me to find it comfortable but in my every on going quest to lighten up my pack I can tolerate it and find it to be comfortable. However with the WW 1.1 single I just find it has to much stretch for my liking.

swankfly
06-22-2012, 21:38
Okay, i posted earlier that I pulled the trigger. That was on a Friday afternoon, I was given a 10 day lead time, I was actually hanging in the Hammock the following Wednesday. That is 3 working days! Amazing. So ofcourse I planned to work all week and because of their amazing customer service I ended up taking a couple of days this week tweaking the hang. I love it. So I decided to go ahead and take it out this weekend for a shakedown run in the Kisatchie NF. I will get one night hanging before I take it into the gorge next week. The Buginator, so sweet, so easy to get in and out of, fits tight and right. Still working with the ridgeline looking for that sweet spot, I will switch out the fixed with an adjustable I have to see where it is and then fix it. Amazingly, I have not had any of the issues you may have seen me post earlier about the ridgeline on my ENO DN. Top notch! I ordered some mesh sleeves from the Wilderness Logic crew and I am switching out the stuff sack with a Bishop Bag w/ exterior pockets. Cant wait! Thanks BIAS guys, you are the best!

Wes

neo
06-23-2012, 08:12
here is my bias wieght weenie micro,with my toxaway tarp and jarbridge under quilt. i like the adjustable ridge line set at 10 feet:cool:neo

neo
06-23-2012, 08:19
here is my bias hammock with the 9 ft fixed ridge line,it was so un comfortable
the adjustable ridge line set at 10 ft is much better:cool:neo

MAD777
06-23-2012, 10:15
I also prefer longer than the customary 83% ridgeline, closer to 90% actually. I also like 11' long hammocks, which puts my ridgeline about 9'-9". Therefore, I use a tarp with a 12' ridgeline. That's a lot to swallow for a gram weenie, but I went to hammocks for the comfort! :)

neo
06-24-2012, 07:19
I also prefer longer than the customary 83% ridgeline, closer to 90% actually. I also like 11' long hammocks, which puts my ridgeline about 9'-9". Therefore, I use a tarp with a 12' ridgeline. That's a lot to swallow for a gram weenie, but I went to hammocks for the comfort! :)

:)i agree with 90 percent works me,i have 1 foot at each end coverage with my toxaway 12 ft ridge line tarp:cool:neo