PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jeff

silverstar
02-04-2007, 10:31
I'm one of the 4 guys you met at Mt. Rogers at Wise Shelter. We were hiking out after that bout with the winds the previous night. I'm the former Ranger. I was very impressed with the gear you all had. Especially after the previous night with those high winds and our tents threatening to carry us all to OZ.

I've looked at the different brands of hammocks on the pages here. Maybe you and the other experienced hammock campers could lend some of your experience and insight. Thanks.

Bill Rauscher
Orlando, FL

Just Jeff
02-04-2007, 11:56
Sure - everyone here is very willing to help. Do you have any specific questions?

slowhike
02-04-2007, 12:36
good to hear from you.
probably most hammocks are open top, so they are referred to as top entry or speer type.
that's the type i prefer because i can see clearly the views around me & i can reach my gear... even heat water from my hammock.
others like being inside a henesy hammock (HH) or a tom claytor type.
they all have their pros & cons. ...tim

headchange4u
02-04-2007, 12:56
I love my Hennessy Hammock, but they can be a little pricy (I don't know what your budget is). You can always try to find a used one somewhere. I think the Hennessy site (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/) has some clearance models also.

You could also try to find some ripstop fabric in the $1 bin at WalMart and make your first one. They are pretty easy to make, even if you have not sewn before. Check out Jeff's site (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html) for a great tutorial on making your own hammock

FanaticFringer
02-04-2007, 13:23
Study this site and ask questions. The learning curve is steeper than ground dwelling but well worth it I promise. Also check out Whiteblaze.net for some great archival hammock info.

Welcome to the forum.

www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104

headchange4u
02-04-2007, 13:27
Don't forget to take a glance at the Articles (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36) section for a glossary, acronyms and abbre., and the manufactures page with models and specs. Great resource for those new to hammocking.

blackbishop351
02-04-2007, 13:30
The learning curve is steeper than ground dwelling but well worth it I promise.

Y'know, I was thinking about that on the Rogers trip. I think the curve SEEMS steeper, but is it really? My conclusion is that ground-dwelling seems easier because most hikers are just USED to it. That, and tent manufacturers have taken all the DIY fun out of it - ground-pounders don't have to worry about engineering issues. Tarps, on the other hand, can actually have a steeper curve than hammocks I think. Some tarps are a PAIN to learn to use properly.

Peter_pan
02-04-2007, 15:16
Y'know, I was thinking about that on the Rogers trip. I think the curve SEEMS steeper, but is it really? My conclusion is that ground-dwelling seems easier because most hikers are just USED to it. That, and tent manufacturers have taken all the DIY fun out of it - ground-pounders don't have to worry about engineering issues. Tarps, on the other hand, can actually have a steeper curve than hammocks I think. Some tarps are a PAIN to learn to use properly.

Agree and add...

Most have forgotten the many aches and pains we learned along the way as prior ground dwellers before we learned and got better back in the dark ages.

Pan

Just Jeff
02-04-2007, 15:22
Most of the "aches and pains" we learned from ground dwelling weren't really aches and pains because we were kids...sleeping on roots isn't a big deal when you're 8. Picking up bits and pieces along the way makes it seem like there wasn't a steep learning curve, but it was there.

And if folks already know how to be "comfortable" in the woods doing things the old way, it may seem useless to figure out all this newfangled off-the-ground stuff. But once you figure it out, you'll understand why I put "comfortable" in quotes!

Besides, it's really simple to stay warm in a hammock. We just make it more difficult than it needs to be b/c we're gearheads.

silverstar
02-04-2007, 17:38
Sure - everyone here is very willing to help. Do you have any specific questions?
Well, so far I've looked at the Clark hammocks and they seem pretty comfortable. I'm really not concerned about price. More about weight and comfort. I'm an A.T. section hiker, having completed GA, NC, TN and now onward into VA. I've only slept in shelters, (ugh) and my one-man tent. After seeing those great hammocks at Mt. Rogers, I was a convert. They just LOOKED comfortable. I know everyone has their favorites. I suppose I'm looking for input on why your favorites are your favorites. That will help me make my decision. I love to hike in cold weather. This seems like the answer I've been looking for. Thanks

Bird Dog
02-04-2007, 18:14
Silverstar - I know that there are some members on this site from Florida that could maybe give you some hands on type experience with their equipment. If you are near NC, drop me a line and youre more than welcome to try my Hennessey to see if its for you. BD

seuss
02-04-2007, 21:05
Somebody should point you toward Ed Speer's book.

It's over here --->Hammock Camping (http://www.hammockcamping.com)

slowhike
02-04-2007, 23:10
Somebody should point you toward Ed Speer's book.

It's over here --->Hammock Camping (http://www.hammockcamping.com)

yep... i'll second that book. full of good info, not only about the hammocks themselfs, but about using them.

Otter1
02-04-2007, 23:30
Well, so far I've looked at the Clark hammocks and they seem pretty comfortable. I'm really not concerned about price. More about weight and comfort. I'm an A.T. section hiker, having completed GA, NC, TN and now onward into VA. I've only slept in shelters, (ugh) and my one-man tent. After seeing those great hammocks at Mt. Rogers, I was a convert. They just LOOKED comfortable. I know everyone has their favorites. I suppose I'm looking for input on why your favorites are your favorites. That will help me make my decision. I love to hike in cold weather. This seems like the answer I've been looking for. Thanks

Silverstar,

Living in FL, I've found hammocks a great alternative to tarp camping (Florida critter protection while lighter than a tent). But the comfort, above all else is what has made the difference for me.

When it's cold, good bottom insulation ( I use the JRB Nest) is a necessity.

To answer your specific inquiry, I've found the HH great for me, although making my own and adding netting sounds fun. The light weight, integrated bug protection, and quality construction make HH my choice.

Coffee
02-04-2007, 23:53
Silverstar,

Living in FL, I've found hammocks a great alternative to tarp camping (Florida critter protection while lighter than a tent). But the comfort, above all else is what has made the difference for me.

When it's cold, good bottom insulation ( I use the JRB Nest) is a necessity.

To answer your specific inquiry, I've found the HH great for me, although making my own and adding netting sounds fun. The light weight, integrated bug protection, and quality construction make HH my choice.

I like my DIY hammock setup, but for an all in one system with bugnetting I think the HH are hard to beat. If he would make a removeable bugnet, different suspension system, and a tarp system that did not attach to the hammock but to the trees and be a little larger stock than I really would like it.

Just Jeff
02-05-2007, 20:25
For me, the HH (http://www.hennessyhammocks.com/) is very comfortable, but my DIY Speer (http://www.speerhammocks.com/)-type hammocks are more comfortable. Probably b/c I can change the dimensions to suit my particular body, though...I haven't tried the bigger HH models.

I tend to like the top entry style (like the Speers) better. Just easier to do things like get to my gear (HH doesn't have a zipper), more convenient to lounge in, and I've even cooked from my top-entry hammocks before. That said, the bottom entry is pretty convenient for buggy weather...no dealing with the velcro seal like on the Speers (the HH just pops closed even w/o the velcro).

So choosing between the HH and Speer, I'd say it's all about preference. They're both comfortable, and unless you get the racer models or Hyperlight, they're very close in weight. The Speer may look like it weighs more on the website, but that's including a gigantic 8'x10' tarp, versus the adequate-but-not-much-more Hennessy tarps. The hammocks themselves are pretty close.

I've never used the Clark, but they have a pretty die-hard following too. They're a bit heavier than the others, but have a few niceties like a zippered weathershield and such. If you like those options, go for it.

The biggest factor is how to insulate the bottom, though. Once you get that figured out in a way that's comfortable for you (and your wallet), any of these hammocks will suit your needs.

And those are probably just the top three right now...there are several other models based more on value, like the Byers, Claytors, etc. And JRB is coming out with a new model soon!

Coffee
02-05-2007, 23:08
Does anyone know what happened to the guy on WB that wanted to have his own HH. He went by "Speedy". I PM'ed him a while ago and did not hear anything back. I would be curious to see how it worked out for him.