PDA

View Full Version : Where to put ridge line and whoopies?

saucybagles
06-12-2012, 01:41
Right then just a quick question about my set up
My cameras Jank right now so let's see if the text adventure makes any sence! Right now I have the stock set up but I swapped the stock beiners with light weight ones but my question is if I got whoopies could I put the fixed loop on to the Beiner rather than the Chanel of the hammock? And is there anyreason not to put an ASR onto the Carabiner and not into the haick Chanel?

MrClean417
06-12-2012, 07:34
You can hook to a biner BUT the reason to go to a Whoopie sling is to save weight. For that reason you hook the Whoopie straight to the hammock and the ridgeline over that so that load goes from the Whoopie to the ridgeline to the other Whoopie so it can do it's job. An extra biner on both ends is just extra gear and thus weight.

But do what you want to do, hang your own hang.

Bob Bobson
06-12-2012, 08:55
I did the jacks r better setup: continuous loops, Dutch biners to whoopies that are larks headed to my tree straps and attached via Dutch clips. Sounds cumbersome, but it has some practical advantages. First, biners are a great rain break in the suspension. Second, you can easily switch out to another suspension via continuous loops and biners (e.g. Webbing). Finally, biners offer perfect attachment points for ASR. My two cents. Good luck and have fun!

saucybagles
06-12-2012, 10:55
thanks guys like bob said above the reason for doing this config is the ability to swap out other suspensions and i feel it worth the extra oz thanks guys!

DynoMike
06-12-2012, 13:09
I removed my factory rope and biners. Ran slings through channels then through ridge line, then through its self. Fixed loop of course. Adjustable to the outside ends. And I can still fit all of it plus 2 six foot poly huggers in factory pouch. And it weighs less also! Love the set up. I went with whoopieslings.com.

iRokk
06-25-2012, 00:56
I replaced the factory rope with a couple DIY Amsteel continuous loops and the factory biners with a couple C.A.M.P. Nano's. For my ridgeline, I made a whoopie adjustable from 82"-112". I tend to like having it around 96" to sleep flat. My loop, ridgeline, and whoopies connect at my biners. I like having the biners because, like saucybagles said, it makes swapping stuff out much easier, and for a fraction of weight anyways. I've included a picture of my setup. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/1/8/5/6/img_1067.jpg