PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Hammock Videos

headchange4u
08-25-2008, 12:43
Post any videos relevant to setting up or using a Hennessy Hammock in this thread. See this (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5445)to learn how to post You Tube videos in a thread.

Setup vid:
ASFv6bZ8CfU

Tying the HH knot:
VXk26e4kt4U

Using as a lounger:
EtjvNokD-fA

Good overview of hammock and features:
L9Cyo5bEDWU

Super Shelter:
Installing Under Cover:
JeDqHVxwcRE

Installing under pad:
qA8Z94IKWpA

elcolombianito
04-22-2009, 12:08
HOW TO USE A HH (Hennessy Hammock) (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm)
Link: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm

Videos are in the VIDEO OVERVIEW 1 (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhvid01.htm) and VIDEO OVERVIEW 2 (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhvid02.htm) sections.

The other stuff found in the website is pretty usefull as well for hammocking and outdoor newbies.

wahoo
08-02-2009, 19:25
Video of Tom Hennessy showing off the HH at the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City.
qqg4x443RmM

JackF
02-07-2010, 02:57
I came across this video on yourube last night, That hammock looks amazing. It is now on the top of my list for thingd to buy when going on my next trip.

LakeTrek
02-12-2010, 23:01
PtUEY1NS2c8

I used my Hennessy Hammock while walking around Lake Michigan last year. There are some photos of my set up in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in this video.

The blog of my adventure is at http://LakeTrek.Blogspot.com

LakeTrek
03-22-2010, 09:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

33vyIdvVxT8

I used my Hennessy Hammock while walking around Lake Michigan last year. There are some photos of my set up in this video.

The blog of my adventure is at http://laketrek.blogspot.com

trekkingnut
07-06-2010, 17:00
these two videos are my own.

lemme know what you guys think....

OwzZTeAE3yc

1iJTjful66M

the first one is my ultimate guide with a few standard tips and tricks that everyone should know.

the second is the fastest way to set them up....

hope you like them! enjoy!

BLUEFIN 774
07-06-2010, 17:50
That was the best Hennessy Hammock tutorial I have seen, much better than the ones on the actual Hennessy site. I will try some of those ideas on mine. I liked where you hung the shoes. When I use mine I would hand my sandals/crocks from a small string on a caribiner. The tarp ridge line was a good idea. Thanks for sharing this video with us.

trekkingnut
07-08-2010, 13:49
oBg5zgAgrKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBg5zgAgrKU

BillyBob58
07-08-2010, 14:15
Good one, Trek! The old "tree to fat for huggers" can be a real problem sometimes, especially in places like the Pacific NW, and others. Looks like if you have a climbing ring with you, you can handle it. Wonder if that could also be done with the rope threaded through a carabiner?

trekkingnut
07-08-2010, 14:18
Good one, Trek! The old "tree to fat for huggers" can be a real problem sometimes, especially in places like the Pacific NW, and others. Looks like if you have a climbing ring with you, you can handle it. Wonder if that could also be done with the rope threaded through a carabiner?

walking outside to test it right now.....

trekkingnut
07-08-2010, 14:23

well the actual idea itself worked, but i am too lazy to walk down the woods to sling up now, so will test tomorrow, only thing i didnt like is its putting three different directions of pressure on the carabiner... not so hot...

i believe i saw a post today of someone doing it actually, but it looked a bit off....

will get back to you!

CrankyOldGuy
07-09-2010, 09:39
Trek, your "fat tree" method looks great and (better) easy, but I couldn't really follow the looping notaknot. Is it as simple as it looks or can it be screwed up? :-)

trekkingnut
07-09-2010, 09:44
Trek, your "fat tree" method looks great and (better) easy, but I couldn't really follow the looping notaknot. Is it as simple as it looks or can it be screwed up? :-)

sorry to hear it wasnt clear! going to finish this cup o tea and then ill film a close up! gimme half an hour!

trekkingnut
07-09-2010, 09:53

just while im drinking my tea thought id type and slurp.

i assume you are talking about actually fixing the live end to the ring?

to be quite honest, i think any knot that you are comfortable with and know holds your weight will work. in that particular video, i just literally wrapped it round the o ring a few times, to take the weight off the knot and then put in a quick release half hitch. this doesnt mean that something like a double figure of eight looped around the ring wouldnt work... it would just be a little harder to get off in the morning thats all!!!

does that help at all?? ill do a video close up anyway, but at the end of the day, all knots should be down to you and what you are comfortable with and are sure works!

BillyBob58
07-09-2010, 10:55
to be quite honest, i think any knot that you are comfortable with and know holds your weight will work. in that particular video, i just literally wrapped it round the o ring a few times, to take the weight off the knot and then put in a quick release half hitch. this doesnt mean that something like a double figure of eight looped around the ring wouldnt work... it would just be a little harder to get off in the morning thats all!!!

does that help at all?? ill do a video close up anyway, but at the end of the day, all knots should be down to you and what you are comfortable with and are sure works!

That written description is pretty clear to me. I also wasn't exactly clear on the visual of what you did, but it looked like it might be as you just described. And it was!

So, 3 wraps and a 1/2 hitch or two. Reminds me of one of my favs with webbing around a tree, before cinch buckles and such, and still with my unaltered Speer: a round turn(or 2) and a 1/2 hitch or 2. Just run the webbing around once as with a cinch buckle set up, then again, and a 1/2 hitch. This simple and quick approach has never failed me.

CrankyOldGuy
07-09-2010, 11:04
When I'm talking about something that I know to someone who doesn't know, they nod their heads like they understand, but all they hear is "it's simple, you just blah blah blah and blah blah blah, then all you have to do is blah blah blah blah. Got it?"

HF is great and everyone bends over backwards to be helpful, but until I take the time to grab some rope and work through this myself it's all "blah blah blah". :)

trekkingnut
07-09-2010, 11:04
That written description is pretty clear to me. I also wasn't exactly clear on the visual of what you did, but it looked like it might be as you just described. And it was!

So, 3 wraps and a 1/2 hitch or two. Reminds me of one of my favs with webbing around a tree, before cinch buckles and such, and still with my unaltered Speer: a round turn(or 2) and a 1/2 hitch or 2. Just run the webbing around once as with a cinch buckle set up, then again, and a 1/2 hitch. This simple and quick approach has never failed me.

i wish people had let me know sooner!!! im going to pop down to the woods tomorrow and refilm the first one and replace it on youtube, then i can take the one im uploading now down as well.

i was also thinking of a loop and then a highwayman's hitch as well... we shall see if that works...

TOB9595
07-09-2010, 11:51
HH 101 is a terrific film. I also wish this was round when I started...Would have made my life so much easier

WELL DONE SIR!
Tom

trekkingnut
07-09-2010, 11:55
HH 101 is a terrific film. I also wish this was round when I started...Would have made my life so much easier

WELL DONE SIR!
Tom

well thank you very much! i hope it helps people out! im going to spend a week solid hanging next week and keep a pad and pencil handy in case anything else springs to mind, ive filmed a couple more bits and pieces but not enough to waste peoples time with a new film yet!

heres the updated knot video: please give me some feedback on this one and let me know what you think. i really do think this proves that the garda hitch, with two rings and a carabiner is the most versatile option! you never have to add anything on, no matter the size of the tree!

fLsHF359g3w

trekkingnut
07-09-2010, 12:13
When I'm talking about something that I know to someone who doesn't know, they nod their heads like they understand, but all they hear is "it's simple, you just blah blah blah and blah blah blah, then all you have to do is blah blah blah blah. Got it?"

HF is great and everyone bends over backwards to be helpful, but until I take the time to grab some rope and work through this myself it's all "blah blah blah". :)

well i hope that site i sent you helps!

just so everyone else knows, any knots you are unsure of that are mentioned in any videos, whether on here or on youtube or elsewhere, if they are decent knots, a video/slide show and explanation of how to tie them and their uses is on this website! total lifesaver!

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?

CrankyOldGuy
07-09-2010, 14:17
It's great! But don't look at when you're supposed to be working. I've tried a couple using my mouse and camera cords. (While trying to look productive!)

trekkingnut
07-09-2010, 14:20
It's great! But don't look at when you're supposed to be working. I've tried a couple using my mouse and camera cords. (While trying to look productive!)

sheer genius!!! hahahah using your chords is quality!!!

ive just got it on the old iphone... can sly it up under the desk! im not leading another expedition till october though so i have the whole summer to do whatever i want! what a lazy life....

BillyBob58
07-09-2010, 15:52
Much clearer on the knot, as far as being able to see what you are doing. It also helped that I already had your text explanation, which made it very clear. Very good!

trekkingnut
07-09-2010, 16:28
Much clearer on the knot, as far as being able to see what you are doing. It also helped that I already had your text explanation, which made it very clear. Very good!

glad it helped clarify things... hopefully there were some other useful ideas there... i think clipping the carabiner on using a highwayman's hitch would work quite well... going out tomorrow night to experiment fully!

Ted
08-05-2010, 11:13
these two videos are my own.

lemme know what you guys think....

the first one is my ultimate guide with a few standard tips and tricks that everyone should know.

the second is the fastest way to set them up....

hope you like them! enjoy!

Great videos, Trekkingnut. Well done. I do have a question about how the much thinner spectra line on the Hennessy ULBA works with the garda hitch. I've looked at some of the threads that discuss possible line damage from pinching by the rings but couldn't determine anything conclusive for the thin spectra. What are your thoughts?

trekkingnut
08-06-2010, 06:49
Great videos, Trekkingnut. Well done. I do have a question about how the much thinner spectra line on the Hennessy ULBA works with the garda hitch. I've looked at some of the threads that discuss possible line damage from pinching by the rings but couldn't determine anything conclusive for the thin spectra. What are your thoughts?

this is always a hot topic of debate. i use very fat rapel rings as you can see and the standard cord and have never had a problem....

if i am staying in the same place for a few days, i will losen the line off in the morning so that its not being pinched in the same place the whole time... with the separate tarp ridge line it means i can still use it for shelter...

i know im not really answering your question and thats because i dont know. ive never had the ulba or used any other hammock so will only comment on things ive had experience with. prevents accidents i find.

you can try it and MAYBE risk it breaking... it has happened in the past with other peoples hammocks and the thinner rings... but in reality i just dont know...

:( sorry!

glad you liked the videos though! i hope the 101 video gave you some pointers that you can take away and use with the ul!

Ted
08-08-2010, 11:29
Today I set up and tested the HH ULBA using the Garda Hitch method that Trekkingnut has demonstrated in his videos.

The stock HH ULBA uses a suspension system of very thin (about 1/8"+ dia.) polyester sheathed 1,450-lb test Spectra line. I could not find any definitive info on the HF site about how this particular line behaved in the Garda ring system. The purpose of the test was to see if there are any issues with this setup combination.

Equipment:
Hammock: Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ #3 zipper mod and no rainfly
Carabiners: C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 Wiregate carabiners
Rings: SMC Aluminum Descending Rings, 1.5" ID
Test load (me): 150#, 5'-9" H

Finding:
Works fine but requires care to avoid excessive line wear and slippage. For safety, suspension line condition should be inspected before and after each setup of the hammock.

Summary:
The setup was as described by Trekkingnut: Tree straps around tree at conventional height. Carabiner clipped through both loops at the end of each strap with the narrow end down. Two SMC rings clipped into each carabiner. Hammock suspension line was run with one loop through both rings and a second loop passing between the rings.

Each free end of the suspension line was pulled through the rings to make the tension adjustment and seemed to lock fine. I did notice that it took a slight effort to pull the line through using only the free end, but found that if you use both hands, one to pull the free end while the other relieves tension in the line to the hammock, it flows through the rings smoothly with minimal friction.

At this point I sat in the hammock to see if there would be any slippage. There was not initially, but after I got up and readjusted the lines a few times, I did get some slippage. Once, I did not tug the adjustment tight at the rings on one end of the hammock and got a semi-fast ride to the ground.

I put a single half-hitch with a quick release on each end and again loaded the hammock. Again, no slippage initially, but after getting up and down a few times, minor slippage did occur at one end.

I put two half-hitches on each end and experienced no further slippage.

The system adjusts effortlessly and quickly as advertised, provided you use both hands to feed the line through the rings to minimize friction.

At this point I examined the Spectra and found noticeable wear on the polyester sheathing in the area where it had made contact with the rings. The sheathing was not penetrated but showed distinct surface fraying, with a spot two that looked like heat was the culprit. This was after maybe 15 minutes of repeated adjusting and loading the system. It seems that adjusting the line by pulling only on the free end, plus the few slippages I experienced under load, heated the line up by friction enough to cause the damage.

I concluded that unless you take care to adjust this system to minimize friction between the line and rings, it can quickly wear the sheathing and eventually compromise the line.

The Spectra has a stranded rather than solid core and I did not see any significant crushing of the line where it was clamped by the rings. Just a little deformation which should have no ill effect.

The SMC ring seemed to provide a reasonable bending radius for the small line size. A larger line size might help the problem since it would provide more surface contact area with the rings. Don't know the actual diameter of the ring stock.

Conclusion:
I am going to use the system in the field for a while and see how it does, taking the precautions I describe above. The fact that I could cause visible wear on the lines with 15 minutes of fooling around gives me some concern. I would expect to have to replace the suspension lines eventually because of the unavoidable friction needed to make the hitch work. As long as the sheathing is intact, albeit worn, I would not expect a problem.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

trekkingnut
08-08-2010, 11:53
Today I set up and tested the HH ULBA using the Garda Hitch method that Trekkingnut has demonstrated in his videos.

The stock HH ULBA uses a suspension system of very thin (about 1/8"+ dia.) polyester sheathed 1,450-lb test Spectra line. I could not find any definitive info on the HF site about how this particular line behaved in the Garda ring system. The purpose of the test was to see if there are any issues with this setup combination.

Equipment:
Hammock: Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ #3 zipper mod and no rainfly
Carabiners: C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 Wiregate carabiners
Rings: SMC Aluminum Descending Rings, 1.5" ID
Test load (me): 150#, 5'-9" H

Finding:
Works fine but requires care to avoid excessive line wear and slippage. For safety, suspension line condition should be inspected before and after each setup of the hammock.

Summary:
The setup was as described by Trekkingnut: Tree straps around tree at conventional height. Carabiner clipped through both loops at the end of each strap with the narrow end down. Two SMC rings clipped into each carabiner. Hammock suspension line was run with one loop through both rings and a second loop passing between the rings.

Each free end of the suspension line was pulled through the rings to make the tension adjustment and seemed to lock fine. I did notice that it took a slight effort to pull the line through using only the free end, but found that if you use both hands, one to pull the free end while the other relieves tension in the line to the hammock, it flows through the rings smoothly with minimal friction.

At this point I sat in the hammock to see if there would be any slippage. There was not initially, but after I got up and readjusted the lines a few times, I did get some slippage. Once, I did not tug the adjustment tight at the rings on one end of the hammock and got a semi-fast ride to the ground.

I put a single half-hitch with a quick release on each end and again loaded the hammock. Again, no slippage initially, but after getting up and down a few times, minor slippage did occur at one end.

I put two half-hitches on each end and experienced no further slippage.

The system adjusts effortlessly and quickly as advertised, provided you use both hands to feed the line through the rings to minimize friction.

At this point I examined the Spectra and found noticeable wear on the polyester sheathing in the area where it had made contact with the rings. The sheathing was not penetrated but showed distinct surface fraying, with a spot two that looked like heat was the culprit. This was after maybe 15 minutes of repeated adjusting and loading the system. It seems that adjusting the line by pulling only on the free end, plus the few slippages I experienced under load, heated the line up by friction enough to cause the damage.

I concluded that unless you take care to adjust this system to minimize friction between the line and rings, it can quickly wear the sheathing and eventually compromise the line.

The Spectra has a stranded rather than solid core and I did not see any significant crushing of the line where it was clamped by the rings. Just a little deformation which should have no ill effect.

The SMC ring seemed to provide a reasonable bending radius for the small line size. A larger line size might help the problem since it would provide more surface contact area with the rings. Don't know the actual diameter of the ring stock.

Conclusion:
I am going to use the system in the field for a while and see how it does, taking the precautions I describe above. The fact that I could cause visible wear on the lines with 15 minutes of fooling around gives me some concern. I would expect to have to replace the suspension lines eventually because of the unavoidable friction needed to make the hitch work. As long as the sheathing is intact, albeit worn, I would not expect a problem.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

what a fantastic bit of information!!! really appreciate that being done!!!!

i'm pretty sure i mentioned putting through a quick release style half hitch in the video, i def would NOT recommend getting in if you havent locked it off, as you have found, arse on floor...

I have not noticed any wear at all on my lines, going to check them later on this evening to be sure.

I also use two hands otherwise it doesnt get tight enough.

I was a bit worried about the UL's thin lines to be honest... glad you didnt hurt yourself!

excellent review!

Ted
08-08-2010, 13:09
Postscript to previous test:
Decided to try the Garda/rings experiment using a HH Scout that I have, which uses larger suspension lines than the ULBP. The Scout lines are between 3/16" and 1/4" in diameter and are noticeably stiffer than the 1/8"+ ULBP Spectra lines.

The first thing I noticed is that the larger lines have, for want of a better word, more "bite" on the rings. There seemed to be much less tendency to slip. You still have to feed the line through the rings with two hands to minimize friction but when stopped off with a half-hitch, it seemed more secure.

Based on this, I would amend my previous conclusion and recommend that the Garda hitch not be used with the thin Spectra line on the ULBP. It could be that the smaller line, with less surface contact area on the rings, simply doesn't offer enough resistance to pullout. A shame, since it is so easy to use. I could replace the Spectra with larger line but that adds weight and defeats the purpose of UL.

I guess the rings will now go with the Scout rig and I'll stick with Tom's lashing on carabiners for the ULBP.

Thanks for the comment, Trekkingnut. If anyone else is familiar with the laws of physics governing this situation, please let us know your thoughts, too.

trekkingnut
08-08-2010, 13:39
Postscript to previous test:
Decided to try the Garda/rings experiment using a HH Scout that I have, which uses larger suspension lines than the ULBP. The Scout lines are between 3/16" and 1/4" in diameter and are noticeably stiffer than the 1/8"+ ULBP Spectra lines.

The first thing I noticed is that the larger lines have, for want of a better word, more "bite" on the rings. There seemed to be much less tendency to slip. You still have to feed the line through the rings with two hands to minimize friction but when stopped off with a half-hitch, it seemed more secure.

Based on this, I would amend my previous conclusion and recommend that the Garda hitch not be used with the thin Spectra line on the ULBP. It could be that the smaller line, with less surface contact area on the rings, simply doesn't offer enough resistance to pullout. A shame, since it is so easy to use. I could replace the Spectra with larger line but that adds weight and defeats the purpose of UL.

I guess the rings will now go with the Scout rig and I'll stick with Tom's lashing on carabiners for the ULBP.

Thanks for the comment, Trekkingnut. If anyone else is familiar with the laws of physics governing this situation, please let us know your thoughts, too.

have you ever looked at the video on large tree problems??? you could use the rings in that manner for your ul.... it doesnt matter what thickness of rope you have with that setup because it doesnt bite onto anything... just a quicker method of adjustment...

Ted
08-08-2010, 15:10
have you ever looked at the video on large tree problems??? you could use the rings in that manner for your ul.... it doesnt matter what thickness of rope you have with that setup because it doesnt bite onto anything... just a quicker method of adjustment...

Good idea, Trekkingnut. I can do the Hennessy lash in about the same amount of time as the ring lash, but adjustments will be much faster. Thanks.

trekkingnut
08-08-2010, 15:14
Good idea, Trekkingnut. I can do the Hennessy lash in about the same amount of time as the ring lash, but adjustments will be much faster. Thanks.

no problems, happy to help! thanks for road testing the ul! will know what to say when i get asked next time!

Ted
08-08-2010, 16:40
Trekkingnut, your single ring (fat tree) solution works fine with the thin Spectra on the ULBA. Good call!

It is still necessary to relieve tension on the line when making adjustments just to minimize friction. And I still have to use two half hitches to prevent any line twisting at the lashing on the ring, although there was no slippage.

Over time there will be wear on the surface of the line sheathing to some degree, but that's the price of having adjustability. The only way to avoid friction completely is to use Tom's lashing and you then lose the quick adjustability.

I hope this little exchange is helpful to other ULBA operators. Thanks again.

trekkingnut
08-08-2010, 17:44
Trekkingnut, your single ring (fat tree) solution works fine with the thin Spectra on the ULBA. Good call!

It is still necessary to relieve tension on the line when making adjustments just to minimize friction. And I still have to use two half hitches to prevent any line twisting at the lashing on the ring, although there was no slippage.

Over time there will be wear on the surface of the line sheathing to some degree, but that's the price of having adjustability. The only way to avoid friction completely is to use Tom's lashing and you then lose the quick adjustability.

I hope this little exchange is helpful to other ULBA operators. Thanks again.

well im glad it works! at least it wasnt a waste of money buying the rings then eh! you need to relieve tension on the line even with the regular model otherwise it just wont move.

it is a compromise indeed. i am yet to decide whether or not to use the garda hitch on my next expedition. if it broke i would be mega pissed off. haha.

Ted
08-11-2010, 10:54
Using Trekkingnut's suggestion of adapting his "fat tree" suspension setup, I continued to experiment and came up with a workable solution that doesn't seem to beat up the very thin Spectra line on the ULBA like the Garda Hitch did. Photos are attached for reference.

I first do two wraps of the Spectra around an SMC descending ring and slide the ring out of the way. I used one extra wrap because it distributes the load over more surface area of the thin Spectra line but still allows you to slide it easily when tension is released.

I then run the line through a carabiner attached to the tree hugger strap and return the line to the SMC ring.

Rather than lash the line to the ring, as shown in Trekkingnut's video, I found that a Slipped Buntline Hitch is quicker, holds the load nicely and doesn't seem to lock up. A brisk tug exploded it every time after being under load and it held with no slippage. A look elsewhere on the HF site indicated that this knot is recommended for the Warbonnet suspension, so it has a working history.

Depending on the distance between trees, you will have to position the SMC ring on the line to give you adequate room to make adjustments. I found the best way was to slide the ring down to the end of the hammock when packing up. When you next set up, pull the line through the carabiner to roughly the height you want, slide the ring up to within a few inches of the carabiner and tie off the ring with the Slipped Buntline Hitch.

This has been backyard tested but not field tested with a full night of tossing and turning in the hammock, so be cautious. It does seem to work better with the thin Hennessy Spectra lines than the Garda Hitch and still gives you the ability to adjust the suspension quickly with little effort.

I would still opt for the Garda Hitch if using heavier suspension lines such as on the Explorer or Scout because of its ease of use.

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 10:57
Using Trekkingnut's suggestion of adapting his "fat tree" suspension setup, I continued to experiment and came up with a workable solution that doesn't seem to beat up the very thin Spectra line on the ULBA like the Garda Hitch did. Photos are attached for reference.

I first do two wraps of the Spectra around an SMC descending ring and slide the ring out of the way. I used one extra wrap because it distributes the load over more surface area of the thin Spectra line but still allows you to slide it easily when tension is released.

I then run the line through a carabiner attached to the tree hugger strap and return the line to the SMC ring.

Rather than lash the line to the ring, as shown in Trekkingnut's video, I found that a Slipped Buntline Hitch is quicker, holds the load nicely and doesn't seem to lock up. A brisk tug exploded it every time after being under load and it held with no slippage. A look elsewhere on the HF site indicated that this knot is recommended for the Warbonnet suspension, so it has a working history.

Depending on the distance between trees, you will have to position the SMC ring on the line to give you adequate room to make adjustments. I found the best way was to slide the ring down to the end of the hammock when packing up. When you next set up, pull the line through the carabiner to roughly the height you want, slide the ring up to within a few inches of the carabiner and tie off the ring with the Slipped Buntline Hitch.

This has been backyard tested but not field tested with a full night of tossing and turning in the hammock, so be cautious. It does seem to work better with the thin Hennessy Spectra lines than the Garda Hitch and still gives you the ability to adjust the suspension quickly with little effort.

I would still opt for the Garda Hitch if using heavier suspension lines such as on the Explorer or Scout because of its ease of use.

nicely done mate! thanks for the addition! we will find the ultimate hh set up together!

Ted
08-11-2010, 11:07
nicely done mate! thanks for the addition! we will find the ultimate hh set up together!

I actually think the ultimate solution would be to use the honored British expeditionary tradition of having ones batman erect the thing while you cool off with a gin and tonic and watch the sunset. Thanks for your great ideas!

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 11:14
I actually think the ultimate solution would be to use the honored British expeditionary tradition of having ones batman erect the thing while you cool off with a gin and tonic and watch the sunset. Thanks for your great ideas!

sorry to inform you, but batamen are no longer found in the british army. they phased it out in the 70's apart from super high ranking people. was quite disapointed that i had to clean my own boots when i joined up. hehe.

mtncmpr
08-11-2010, 11:44
Many thanks to Ken for the making of this video!

-CorthADuXs

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 13:42
Many thanks to Ken!

-CorthADuXs

where is the stock suspension chord in the video? im confused...

mtncmpr
08-11-2010, 15:03
where is the stock suspension chord in the video? im confused...

Go to the 2:08 mark of the video. (The stock cord has already been removed.)

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 15:54
when you said convert stock chord to whoopie slings, i naturally meant, you would convert the stock chord into a whoopie sling... not cut it off and make a new whoopie sling out of something else and then attach that to the hammock... haha. o well... lesson learned.

maybe retitle your post to convert hennessy hammock to whoopie slings or how to make whoopie slings for hh hammock.

mtncmpr
08-11-2010, 21:03
when you said convert stock chord to whoopie slings, i naturally meant, you would convert the stock chord into a whoopie sling... not cut it off and make a new whoopie sling out of something else and then attach that to the hammock... haha. o well... lesson learned.

maybe retitle your post to convert hennessy hammock to whoopie slings or how to make whoopie slings for hh hammock.

Yeah, I see where the title I used could have been misleading. It has been changed.

trekkingnut
08-12-2010, 02:19

Yeah, I see where the title I used could have been misleading. It has been changed.

thanks mate. i shall await the day when someone actually makes a whoopie sling with the stock chord, although i dont see why you couldnt i guess...

jtong77
08-18-2010, 21:09
I just ordered my hennessy expedition and planning to go on my first hammocking trip! I am looking at the garda knot setup and noticed a lot a ppl have brought up the issue of rope wearing out.

I have an idea and would like some advice:

I wrapped the rap ring with a method i found here:
http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/ringbolt.html

It looks like this (Sorry for the poor quality. I used my webcam cause my digicam's battery's dead.):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtong77/4905815337/
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtong77/4905815337/)

Do you think it can preserve the suspension line better?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

mtncmpr
08-19-2010, 00:26

Nice wrap job on the ring, jtong77.

I'm not sure if the wrap will help or not. After I first got my HH, I tried the descender rings (without any wrap) and stock cord for a little while and my HH stock line showed stress rather quickly. A small area of the inner core started poking out of the outer sleeve like there was a small cut on the outer sleeve from the pressure exerted on it. I changed it out to Amsteel Blue whoopieslings pretty quickly after I discovered the damage. Seems there are folks that use the stock cord and ring combo with no apparent problem, so I guess ymmv. Maybe someone that has tried a wrap will join in and give some input.

trekkingnut
08-20-2010, 04:04
I just ordered my hennessy expedition and planning to go on my first hammocking trip! I am looking at the garda knot setup and noticed a lot a ppl have brought up the issue of rope wearing out.

I have an idea and would like some advice:

I wrapped the rap ring with a method i found here:
http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/ringbolt.html

It looks like this (Sorry for the poor quality. I used my webcam cause my digicam's battery's dead.):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtong77/4905815337/
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtong77/4905815337/)

Do you think it can preserve the suspension line better?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

sorry, am super busy at the moment thats why im not replying much.

the stock chord that gets damaged i believe is more due to friction (i.e burning the outer sheath) rather than pinching itself... so wrapping paracord around it will result in higher friction and thus more damage... do you see what i mean?

im one of the lucky few that doesnt really seem to have a problem with the garda hitch. going to possibly do another video on how to reduce the stress applied to it....

give it a go and see what happens and the post your findings i guess!

comfortablynumb
09-09-2010, 18:52
All,

Good videos. So far I've been practicing my Ultralite
Backpacker A-SYM set up in my backyard using the stock suspension. I will go with it on my first hammock trip coming up in a couple of weeks. Just a two nighter.

Afterwards I will probably try to go with a new suspension - maybe whoopie slings. Still not really sure what they are, but I'm trying to learn : )

Again - thanks for the great videos. Helped me tremendously.

mtncmpr
09-09-2010, 21:39
All,

Good videos. So far I've been practicing my Ultralite
Backpacker A-SYM set up in my backyard using the stock suspension. I will go with it on my first hammock trip coming up in a couple of weeks. Just a two nighter.

Afterwards I will probably try to go with a new suspension - maybe whoopie slings. Still not really sure what they are, but I'm trying to learn : )
Again - thanks for the great videos. Helped me tremendously.

This will help (shows the whoopieslings being used)... check out Shugs video (specifically about the 5:30 mark). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0
If you haven't done so yet, his series (I think about 10 videos) for hammock basics is very good so check them out.

Also, check out Kens video on how to make whoopieslings and attach to a HH at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CorthADuXs

comfortablynumb
09-10-2010, 20:36
Watched them all. Good info. I'm getting there. Thanks.

Lane
09-14-2010, 00:46
Loved the ultra fast setup trekk, that is awsome. I would like to get my hands on the same hardware you are demo'd. I like the fit. You have obviously done some research.

By any chance to you have the rei part #'s for those rings and carabiners?

This would certainly help the knot tie challenged folk like me.

Thanks!

trekkingnut
09-14-2010, 06:57
Loved the ultra fast setup trekk, that is awsome. I would like to get my hands on the same hardware you are demo'd. I like the fit. You have obviously done some research.

Thanks!

i am not american... we dont have rei! so no i dont have them! dont even really know what rei is to be honest...

heed the warnings of the video though!!! dont want the stock chord snapping on you!

mtncmpr
09-14-2010, 07:40

Thanks!

Here ya go...

Ring- http://www.rei.com/product/471123

'biner- http://www.rei.com/product/798366

(By the way trekkingnut, REI is a outdoor gear/supply store)

trekkingnut
10-05-2010, 06:07

Here ya go...

Ring- http://www.rei.com/product/471123

'biner- http://www.rei.com/product/798366

(By the way trekkingnut, REI is a outdoor gear/supply store)

i had guessed it was an outdoor store a long time ago but i dont know whether it is a big rubbish chain or whether they actually stock quality gear.... thanks for helping the above member with the links though!

jtbradyl
10-05-2010, 11:27
REI is membership driven. They pay attention to membership feedback as to the quality of the items they sell. If an item starts getting a lot of negative comments it disappears. Go to rei.com to see their offerings. It's not mysterious. What is mysterious is the UK and Europe. Here one can get almost anything and shopping around for a reasonable price is easy. In the UK and Europe that doesn't seem to be the case.

trekkingnut
10-18-2010, 06:33
REI is membership driven. They pay attention to membership feedback as to the quality of the items they sell. If an item starts getting a lot of negative comments it disappears. Go to rei.com to see their offerings. It's not mysterious. What is mysterious is the UK and Europe. Here one can get almost anything and shopping around for a reasonable price is easy. In the UK and Europe that doesn't seem to be the case.

haha with respect, that last comment is garbage... in fact there is a street near my house in london with at least 5 rei equivilant shops on it, its actually nicknamed expedition road.... i can wander in and out of them and get the best price!

the most similar thing we have by the sounds of it is called gooutdoors, however its not my favorite shop. we have simply loads of quality outdoor shops in the uk....

jtbradyl
10-18-2010, 14:52
Actually I'm not a fan of REI. It's more expensive than I like. What I was thinking of are all the online sellers and ebay sellers. It can be a little irritating though when you want to sell something and an online source decides to drastically cut the price. I don't know whether that happens in the UK or Europe. But it happens here, more now with the economy being depressed. It makes buying and selling a challenge as you can see by some of the items for sale on the Forum.

ChrisH
12-25-2010, 01:20
These are not mine but I think they are the best all around videos of HH's. He really does a great job explaining all the details and I found them all to be very helpful.

Set-up
74zzKRIB_1w
Review
TH-inS7lqkk
Tear Down
19LmvkJiHiw

huauqui
08-29-2012, 11:02
I didn't see these three videos here yet and they probably should be. He goes into great detail, showing each knot and change he makes even how to instal and use the snake skins. They are very complete and show in great detail how to set up the HHSS with OC. Hope they help someone like they did me.

huauqui

3s9vpS8F5SQ

6ZzduJ_4kLM

1QLgHLD7cYA

TheIrishmanHangeth
04-05-2013, 16:26

I know this is an old post so I'm sorry to revive a dead subject but I recently stumbled upon this thread and I really like this suspension setup using a rap ring with a slipped buntline. How did it work of for you in the long run Ted? Any issues with rope burning or wearing out? Anyone else use this setup successfully?

Whiskeyjack
04-07-2013, 20:37
We use them on two of our Hennessys. They were used like this all last year. No signs of wear on the ropes yet.

TheIrishmanHangeth
04-09-2013, 00:21
We use them on two of our Hennessys. They were used like this all last year. No signs of wear on the ropes yet.

Thanks for the response! Glad it works well!

DRobertson
01-03-2014, 22:15
Nice vids. Took me a bit to learn the lashing, but i may convert to whoopies soon.

swampy99
01-17-2014, 22:52
This is how I set up my HH's use it on both with nil trouble and east take down after a full night in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PViK68boZYU

Swampy

Trebor
04-09-2014, 17:03
From Romania with love... The more you know the less you need:

http://youtu.be/SSTmTEITNTc

IndyFace
07-27-2014, 18:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

33vyIdvVxT8

I used my Hennessy Hammock while walking around Lake Michigan last year. There are some photos of my set up in this video.

The blog of my adventure is at http://laketrek.blogspot.com

getting ready to watch this on youtube. i started it here but it was low quality and wouldnt change to higher quality. but i must say.. i LOVEEEEE that song. bonus points already haha. nobody ever knows that song.

Adahy
07-27-2014, 19:11
getting ready to watch this on youtube. i started it here but it was low quality and wouldnt change to higher quality. but i must say.. i LOVEEEEE that song. bonus points already haha. nobody ever knows that song.

It's Bellas Lullaby isn't it?

ROADGUNNER
01-03-2015, 03:08
Anyone have any videos on how to install a continuous loop, in place of the hennesy suspension. I plan to swap out the stock rope for amsteel and use a whoopie sling, but just want to connect the whoppie sling with a whoppie hook from Dutchware. this wat my ropes are seprate from the hammock and it will come off fast. thanks
the dutch bling is in the mail so any help soon would be great.

Ledanek
08-17-2016, 14:22
https://youtu.be/Pz767n2CnB0

First time hanging HH Expedition Asym OUTDOORS...been in basement for more than a year.

I watched many ways to hang the HH, took notes on how to keep it off the ground...got caught in the end when I decided to keep my bag off the ground also, so delayed there.
Other than that, it was easy to hang it.

http://i.imgur.com/SY9e551.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/jilOXff.jpg

going to replace these with something lighter Omega Pacific Belay rings and carabiners

Noob just sharing folks.

oldpappy
08-18-2016, 08:17
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that HH is happier outside (where it belongs:>).
I like to attach the hammock tie outs to the tarp tie outs - two less lines to stake out.
I attach my tarp the standard way as you show too - despite the na sayers. We're the remaining few Rebels I guess:>)
If you like cool weather camping - grab a Super Shelter when you see them on sale for $100 and $20 for the top cover. I used a GG pad for 12 years then finally got the SS and really like it when it gets below about 50F.
Thanks again.

Ledanek
08-19-2016, 09:49
I like to attach the hammock tie outs to the tarp tie outs - two less lines to stake out.
I attach my tarp the standard way as you show too - despite the na sayers. We're the remaining few Rebels I guess:>)

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but, a picture of this setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
UPDATE: Found your gallery post (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=27438)

UPDATE: Gallery http://imgur.com/gallery/Zj5wp

http://i.imgur.com/YGyTejf.jpg

If you like cool weather camping - grab a Super Shelter when you see them on sale for $100 and $20 for the top cover. I used a GG pad for 12 years then finally got the SS and really like it when it gets below about 50F.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestions, but, I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations still. Links would be helpful if you have the time.
Will bookmark it if I find it.
Thanks

oldpappy
08-20-2016, 10:23
I'll PM you some links later today or tomorrow.

Fimbul
08-24-2016, 08:17
Hi!
Here's my take on how to set up a HH the easiest way.
I used to use whoopies, but has recently converted back to the stock suspension... I'm sorry that the video is in danish, but you might get the picture... :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgyO2JnHE7g

Rasmus

samesons
03-13-2017, 19:49
Just got my first Hennessy. Really love the design features.

https://youtu.be/HpeeoHfe37U

leeennddaa
07-19-2020, 17:02
I've created a video on how I set up my Hennessy Hammock on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oq3i2bEhz4

I tried to make it very clear and show each step of the way with close ups on details and included mods I've added. OH and it's one of the few videos done by a GIRL! :-P

I hope it helps someone!