PDA

View Full Version : Tadpole Tarp Impressions

StumpJumper
06-16-2012, 12:29
I took delivery of a Tadpole last week as I was looking for a minimalist tarp during the summer months here in California. I already own a Superfly and a custom MacCat Ultra, but I wanted something tiny, minimal, just for security. A tarp I'd probably almost never use. A safety net.

What did I get? .......

A LOT more than expected. All I can say is I'm seriously impressed! The 132" ridgeline was a big factor in covering my bigger hammocks. The 92" wide? Perfect. Not too much coverage (vs weight), not to little. The fabric feels beefy too as it's double coated silnylon. This is not a fragile tarp, nor does it appear like it'll easily bleed through (I've only done the hose test so far). The Tapole has everything you want and nothing you don't. It pitches beautifully and "feels" even bigger than it is.

Fully rigged with 1.75 Lash-it continuous ridgeline, prussiks, guylines, and a micro-biner, it's 12.65oz's. Packs down to the size of a softball (could maybe compress down even more). And the price???? Very nice. It's a HECK OF A TARP for what you pay.

Bottom Line: If you're on the fence.... Pull the trigger. You'll be kicking yourself for not having done it sooner. I was pleasantly surprised.

HC

flatline
06-16-2012, 14:49
congratulations! the tadpole will soon be your "go to" tarp.
Wilderness Logics ROCKS!
__bob__

Bic
06-16-2012, 15:21
I have the tadpole and the oldman winter tarp and both are top notch and Marty's customer service is ridiculously awesome! from ordering to door was three days for the tadpole... got it to me fast for a hang I was going on!

dangerous
06-16-2012, 20:19
I love my Tadpole tarp. I like it so much that I don't hardly ever pull out my cuben tarp. The Tadpole is everything I need 99% of the time, and the other 1%, well that's just part of being outdoors.

Two Tents
06-21-2012, 07:05
Yea, I can't say enough good about my Tadpole. Now if I only had a Tadpole made of cuben to the same dimensions. Wowzers! With doors too! Oh man! Hey ya gotta have dreams, right?

Atlas918
06-22-2012, 09:15
I have been eyeing up the Tadpole for a while now, and have been on the fence a bit. As soon as I get the funds together I am pulling the trigger; your review pushed me over the edge. :)

flipflop
06-22-2012, 15:36
I JUST bought this tarp, and it is the nicest tarp I have seen.

I mostly do summer camping, and if I think I can get away with it I won't use a tarp, but I still wanted one I can carry easily and rely on when I need to. Being new to hammocks I thought I would get a new tarp that would better for hammocking than my old ground coated nylon tarp.

It looks great, and it is gonna get setup this weekend. I know many like bigger tarps, but this thing seems to be the perfect size for me.

Happy customer

AmericasHammock
06-27-2012, 22:18
Just got mine today and unfolded it to take a better look at how big it is. I was also VERY pleasantly surprised with the quality and size of such a light tarp. Then I looked over at it's stuff sack and said no way will a tarp this big pack down small enough...well again I was pleasantly surprised. This is such an upgrade from the tarp I was using, saving me a ton of pack space and about 12oz. Can't say enough good things about the customer service too. Great experience all around!

Search
07-04-2013, 13:03
I took delivery of a Tadpole last week as I was looking for a minimalist tarp during the summer months here in California. I already own a Superfly and a custom MacCat Ultra, but I wanted something tiny, minimal, just for security. A tarp I'd probably almost never use. A safety net.

It has been a year since you bought your tadpole. What are your long term impressions of the tadpole. How does it compare compare with the MacCat?

I am looking for my first tarp. Since I have no experience, I value a quick easy setup. I will be camping in hot humid weather. :( The tarps purpose will be for rain protection and possibly sun. I will be using the tarp over a Grand Trunk Double. Size and weight are important as suitcase needs to be under 10kg/22 lbs for one month trip. I will only be using the hammock part of the time.

I have been considering the MacCat deluxe or the tadpole.

Thanks for the info!

grannypat
07-04-2013, 20:19
It has been a year since you bought your tadpole. What are your long term impressions of the tadpole. How does it compare compare with the MacCat?

I am looking for my first tarp. Since I have no experience, I value a quick easy setup. I will be camping in hot humid weather. :( The tarps purpose will be for rain protection and possibly sun. I will be using the tarp over a Grand Trunk Double. Size and weight are important as suitcase needs to be under 10kg/22 lbs for one month trip. I will only be using the hammock part of the time.

I have been considering the MacCat deluxe or the tadpole.

Thanks for the info!

I see lots of folks post who have trouble with communication and order time with the MacCat maker. If you need something in a set time, go with the tadpole. I'm happy with the quality of mine and the quick response of WL.

olddog
07-04-2013, 21:29
Been about 3 weeks under my Tadpole every night here in Maine. Today was the second day with any reasonable sunshine and a probability of rain tonight. Not the first problem with the tarp. By the time I get back to Florida I should have over 3 months of fulltime outdoors and will follow up.

ojdash
07-05-2013, 00:30
Sent you a PM search but I wanted to see if everyone is in agreement with me in that the Black color provides the best shade (Flatline any thoughts?). I have had grey, green, brown and black tarps and my Black Big Daddy has the best shade protection by far (might be the double coating of sil too).

flatline
07-05-2013, 19:55
I have several friends who use black tarps and they do provide good shade.
My Tadpole is tan, I custom ordered some tan sil-nylon and I got Marty to make a Tadpole usuing that. I think it turned out great but Marty didn't like it much.
My OMW is green on one side and brown on the other.
My personal favorite is the brown. Dunno why?

Pimms
07-05-2013, 21:58
Anyone know the weight on the 144" Ridge Line Tadpole Tarp??? Also looking to get one of these. I'm also excited to see on their website under the new section that by the end of July there will be a door kit available for it. I'm new to hammock hanging and going on a week long trip in August in Michigan worried about the weather and coverage my tarp will provide. I already have a Superfly in the family so don't want another one of the same thing but would like similar coverage but I do like the light weight of the Tadpole.

Search
07-06-2013, 06:26
Anyone know the weight on the 144" Ridge Line Tadpole Tarp??? Also looking to get one of these. I'm also excited to see on their website under the new section that by the end of July there will be a door kit available for it. I'm new to hammock hanging and going on a week long trip in August in Michigan worried about the weather and coverage my tarp will provide. I already have a Superfly in the family so don't want another one of the same thing but would like similar coverage but I do like the light weight of the Tadpole.
The Big Daddy tarp is 3.1 oz heavier with a 144 ridgeline.

As a matter of fact, you might look at the larger Big Daddy tarp as a potential purchase. It is 2.4 oz heavier than the tadpole. I have zero hammocking experience so I can only relate the specs.

Search
07-06-2013, 17:07
Sent you a PM search but I wanted to see if everyone is in agreement with me in that the Black color provides the best shade (Flatline any thoughts?). I have had grey, green, brown and black tarps and my Black Big Daddy has the best shade protection by far (might be the double coating of sil too).

I had not considered black at all. Why? I could imagine the heat in a black car or black tent. The black would absorb more of the sun's rays instead of reflecting them. However, there is a fundamental difference between a black tarp and black tent or black car. A black tarp would still radiate more heat but there is no enclosed space.

The black tarp gives better shade but does it seem warmer or cooler under it?

ojdash
07-06-2013, 23:35
I had not considered black at all. Why? I could imagine the heat in a black car or black tent. The black would absorb more of the sun's rays instead of reflecting them. However, there is a fundamental difference between a black tarp and black tent or black car. A black tarp would still radiate more heat but there is no enclosed space.

The black tarp gives better shade but does it seem warmer or cooler under it?

I am cooler under the black tarp than any of the other colors I had... Possibly because of less transparency. The big daddy is te perfect sized tarp for me. Took it on an overnighter and had 2 of us under it in chairs cooking. It was awesome

flatline
07-08-2013, 09:25
I am cooler under the black tarp than any of the other colors I had... Possibly because of less transparency. The big daddy is te perfect sized tarp for me. Took it on an overnighter and had 2 of us under it in chairs cooking. It was awesome

I think there maybe cooler air (lower to the ground) being drawn under the
tarp as the, solar generated, heat moving upward the ridge line?

Or, it could be that it is shadier under the black material?

shrineclown
08-14-2013, 14:09
Big props to Marty. Ordered one of the camo tadpoles Monday afternoon, here today. Can't wait to try it out tonight...no rain forecast so I will seal it after I use it first. Impressed with the quality of the tarp and the size for such a small package. Thanks for the quick service! I needed it for the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with delivery.

brianmat
08-14-2013, 16:42
Can't wait to check out my Tadpole. I never knew they were only a few miles from me, so it's very cool to support a local vendor.

olddog
08-14-2013, 17:09
Big props to Marty. Ordered one of the camo tadpoles Monday afternoon, here today. Can't wait to try it out tonight...no rain forecast so I will seal it after I use it first. Impressed with the quality of the tarp and the size for such a small package. Thanks for the quick service! I needed it for the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with delivery.

Wouldn't worry too much about the sealing. Mine has been hanging 24/7 for 2 months now and nary a drop. Woke up to rain this morning and the only moisture was from the heavy fog caught in the netting. I've probably put this tarp thru more exposure in the 2 months than most tarps ever get. Like I said 24/7! That means only taking it down and moving to the back of the property for a weekend hang. Will probably be replacing the tree huggers and reflective guys as I have just noticed some fading on them. Did see some staining once but realized it was crabapple sap where I had trimmed some branches. Either washes off in a rain or comes off with a wipe down. This is the first piece of hammock gear I've purchased and I am more than pleased with the tarp and the service.

You can just make out the tarp to the of the fifth wheel.