PDA

View Full Version : Omni Tape

speyguy
02-06-2007, 00:59
I'm not exactly clear on the difference between regular hook and loop "Velcro" and Omni Tape. Can someone elighten me? It's my understanding that it's just a snag free version of Velcro?

Also, I know I read somewhere recently that's it's known by a different name in most fabric stores?? And does it come in different colors.

blackbishop351
02-06-2007, 01:04
I'm not exactly clear on the difference between regular hook and loop "Velcro" and Omni Tape. Can someone elighten me? It's my understanding that it's just a snag free version of Velcro?

Also, I know I read somewhere recently that's it's known by a different name in most fabric stores?? And does it come in different colors.

I have no idea on the availability or the coloring.

According to Pan, Omni Tape has longer, softer "hooks" than normal Velcro. Omni tape is also symmetric - there aren't two different pieces to keep up with. The soft hooks attach to each other, eliminating the need for a coarse hook to grab the "loop" side of standard Velcro. This is done so that the Omni Tape is softer, and by the Velcro website, stronger than Velcro.

Coffee
02-06-2007, 01:10
You are basically right. It is velcro that will only stick to another piece of itself. It will not stick to your bugnet or anything like regular velro hock and loops will.

I got some from Joo Ann Fabrics at one time. I think I saw it in white and black. I think walmart has it a little cheaper, but I can't remember for sure. I have some right now that is labeled Velcro Snag Free. I can't remember whether I got it at Joo Ann's or Walmart. Neither website is bringing it up.

On a side note others have posted that is does not hold as well as normal velrco. I think it is less but has it's uses.

NCPatrick
02-06-2007, 07:49
Pan also mentioned at Mt. Rogers that you could buy omni tape directly from JRB.

headchange4u
02-06-2007, 08:48
Pan said at Mt. Rogers that Omni Tape is the industrial side of Velcro. Like HE stated, Omni tape in the retail market is know as "Snag Free Velcro". Same thing as Omni tape, just a different name.

Perkolady
02-06-2007, 20:07
Quest Outfitters (http://www.questoutfitters.com/)will now be carrying 1" wide snag free. $1.25 per yd. I'm told...

Perkolady

slowhike
02-06-2007, 20:36
Quest Outfitters (http://www.questoutfitters.com/)will now be carrying 1" wide snag free. $1.25 per yd. I'm told...

Perkolady

that's good to know because i was thinking that pan said they (JRB) didnt sell it by the foot, but you could get it from them as the conversion kit for the new pad that connects to the bottom of the NS.
it costs less that way than to buy the 3/4" "no snag" from wal-mart or the fabric store. plus if you buy omni tape from the jacks it's the 1" wide stuff which has better grip than the 3/4" stuff.
if you do buy it from a local store, realize this... when you buy 36" of regular velcro, you get two 36" strips (one hook & one loop).
but if you buy the "no snag" you only get one 36" strip. not two.
if i'm not mistaken, omni tape (or no-snag velcro) has both the hook (scratchy) & the loops (soft) on the same strip together. the hooks are just slightly shorter than the loops, so when you touch it, what you feel is the soft loop material.
but when you press two pieces together, the soft loop allows the stiff hooks to push through to grab the loops on the other piece.

The Breeze
02-06-2007, 21:59
right as all was slowhiker you are the man!:D

slowhike
02-06-2007, 23:16
right as all was slowhiker you are the man!:D

naw... i aint the man... just another one of yall<g>.
i thought about you today when i herd your song (by LS)<g>
by the way... are you going to make it to south mt to hammock this week?

The Breeze
02-06-2007, 23:21
no been sick but going mon or tues :cool: