PDA

View Full Version : Switchback question

Kanguru
06-22-2012, 07:59
I understand the switchback can be used pretty easily as a bug bivy if going to ground. :scared: My question is when you open up the ends to do that is the hammock body flat and still extra bugnet? or are the hammock body and bugnet the same size? And if you wanted to can you flip the hammock over and use the bugnet as a pad holder on a single layer? Much like the Hammock Bliss Noseeum Nomore.

smithobx
06-22-2012, 15:54
Kanguru, The Switchback can easily be used as a bivy. We should be posting some pictures of the bivy set up shortly on our website. Like they say a picture is worth , well you know. As for your second question, my only concern would be air gaps due to the streach factor of the netting and the weight of your pad. If you are a dedicated pad user and concerned with weight, you might consider the Light Hiker DL. Hope this helps, if not give us a call.--John

Kanguru
06-22-2012, 20:14
Thanks, John. Straight from the vendor. Will look for the pictures of bivy mode on the website.

Darby
08-08-2012, 11:03
It has taken longer than expected, but here are some pics of the Switchback set up as a bivy.
As you can see, there is no need to un-rig the suspension to go to ground. The net suspension can be run to hiking poles or sticks, low hanging branches, etc. to suspend the net.

Here, the tips of the hiking poles or sticks are put through the ring buckles on each end to secure the hammock in place.
We took the shock cord from one tie out and half hitched it to the other tie out D-ring and then staked it out. Repeat on the other side.

We pulled the pad out a little for demo purposes. We recommend putting the pad (if using one) under the hammock vs inside, reducing the potential for holes and abrasion.

Cheers, Dale & John

sandykayak
08-15-2012, 10:43
Great pix. Thanks.

^shane^
08-15-2012, 17:32
Love that. Thanks for the pics.