PDA

View Full Version : Any differences in brands of CCF?

BillyBob58
08-26-2008, 16:43
My son has decided he prefers to use two Wally World blue pads in his Claytor No Net on our upcoming trip. Cheap and readily available, and in fact he already has them.

So what I'm wondering is, if any one knows, how much dif would there be in WM blue pads and other brands, as far as insulation goes? That is my only real concern, insulation. We may have lows as low as 15*F or a little colder, but most likely about 20 is more in the ball park, and possibly even up into the 30s for lows on at least some nights. For example, it is pretty warm out there right now, but lows have been in the low 30s where we are headed. But there is usually a pretty good change towards cooler by 1st or 2nd week of Sept.

So, his two pads will be, according to the packages, 1" thick total. According to Speers's site, that ought to be good for most folks to about 17*, if WM CCF is comparable to whatever CCF they were referring to. I don't know if that is based on Speer's experience, as he claims to be a cold sleeper.

So, any opinions on WM pads vs every body else?
Bill

neo
08-26-2008, 20:14
i have used the blue pads,same thickness as my army closed cell pad
my army pad is a little warmer,plus i love the classic od green:cool:neo

headchange4u
08-26-2008, 21:56
The Evazote CCF pads, ala Gossamer Gear, seem to insulate better than the WM pads. I recently picked up an OD green army pad at a military surplus store and besides the color it seems to be about the same as the WM pads I have used in the past.

BillyBob58
08-27-2008, 15:48
Would any one care to move this thread for me to where it belongs, pads, instead of tarps where I put it? :rolleyes: That is twice ( for this error) here recently for me! :eek:

cavscout
08-27-2008, 16:16
This may not help you but WM also sells a pad that is egg-crated and is a few inches wider then the blue pad ($12 vs $8) . I bought it to give me more width across my shoulders and was very pleased with it. It's also not CCF but I guess "open celled foam". It might offer a bit of extra insulation by trapping warm air in the egg-crate and not require the additional pad.

slowhike
08-27-2008, 19:13
Would any one care to move this thread for me to where it belongs, pads, instead of tarps where I put it? :rolleyes: That is twice ( for this error) here recently for me! :eek:

No el problemo... moved<G>.

oldsoldier
08-28-2008, 06:57
I dont think there is a difference, honestly. Its pretty much the thickness that counts. You can always bring a thermal blanket & wrap the pad in it, to reflect some heat back to you.

Perkolady
08-28-2008, 11:49
I the Evazote CCF pads, ala Gossamer Gear, seem to insulate better than the WM pads.

I agree with hc- the WM pads aren't as warm. :(

Perkolady

Shug
09-01-2008, 19:58
I have been liking the TR Z-Rest as a ccf.