PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cumberland island...

jkokol
08-27-2008, 13:47
This will be my first trip to Cumberland. There will be at least 4 hammock campers, i am wondering if we are going to have enough places to tie to without having to bring stands for one end. we have to stay at seacamp (one camper is handicapped), so we have to make do with what we find there. anyone been there often enough to remember if there are multiple tie places in seacamp?

headchange4u
08-27-2008, 13:58
Where's Cumberland Island?

jkokol
08-27-2008, 14:05
off the coast of Georgia, just north of the Florida line.

angrysparrow
08-27-2008, 14:35
It's been a while - but from memory there are no shortages of places, although you may have to walk back off the beach a little.

Beautiful place, that. Watch out - the horses are mischievous.

NCPatrick
08-27-2008, 14:48
It's a beautiful place. I went there with family once and tent camped. Tons of mosquitos and some very smart (too smart) raccoons. Some armadillos rustling around too...

Lots of fun.

eflat7
08-27-2008, 15:00
Just went there in 2005. It is a wonderful place. There are plenty of places to hang your hammock, but beware... there are more wild animals roaming around there than anywhere I have ever been :)

I would love to go back soon, please post a trip report and pictures.

Here are a bunch of pictures. I have since lost 100lbs! Brings back memories.

Just a bunch of pics of me and my buddy at CI.

http://www.bobbyhancock.com/Archive/Family-Photos/images/06-Cumberland%20Island%207-17-05/

Enjoy.

FanaticFringer
08-27-2008, 15:08
I need to hang there one day.

jkokol
08-27-2008, 15:45
Ok, so for you guys that have been there, I shouldn't have any trouble hanging at least 4 hammocks in seacamp without spreading us all over the area?

All the hammock campers in our group have homemade stands for the foot of the hammock, we don't need to worry about bringing them?

Thanks for all the help, i will be sure to post pics, one of the guys going is a prof. photographer.

slowhike
08-27-2008, 19:20
Just went there in 2005. It is a wonderful place. There are plenty of places to hang your hammock, but beware... there are more wild animals roaming around there than anywhere I have ever been :)

I would love to go back soon, please post a trip report and pictures.

Here are a bunch of pictures. I have since lost 100lbs! Brings back memories.

Just a bunch of pics of me and my buddy at CI.

http://www.bobbyhancock.com/Archive/Family-Photos/images/06-Cumberland%20Island%207-17-05/

Enjoy.

Thanks for the pictures. I had no idea about that place. Looks like a fantastic place to visit!!!
One tree you had in a picture, with long, low limbs, looks like it could hold a hammock or two. A hammock could probably be hung from one limb.

gunn parker
08-27-2008, 19:37

HI
Whats the story behind the ruins in your photos?
Loved them, thanks