PDA

View Full Version : Spring Mahha 2013 Location - April 26,27 & 28th 2013

2Questions
07-05-2012, 20:59
I need some feedback about reserving the groupsites at Pine Grove Furnace SP for the 2013 Spring Mahha. Reservations need to be made in plenty of time to assure us getting the group sites.

For those who have not been to PGFSP for the Mahha, check out past trip reports. The responses have always been positive.

Some advantages to PGFSP are:
Parking is close to the group sites
Plenty of trees for hammocking (last year 3 sites held 75 hangers and could hold more)
Family campground is close to the group sites
Pavilion can be reserved for our Sat Breakafast and dinner get together
Large campfire location within the group site..we resreved three sites last year
Hiking..AT runs through the park...several blue blazes
Biking paths, two lakes, AT Museum

I'm not opposed to looking at other sites but some legwork would need to be done to find suitable locations. If anyone has a suggestion or recommendations for an alternate site, please check it out and post a report with the advantages/disadvantages.

I would like to make the reservation in July so I can wait/forget about further planning until after the New Year.

Thanks for any feedback. The Spring Mahha is one of the favorite hangs and let's make 2013 no exception!!
2Q

MedicineMan
07-05-2012, 22:11
and I'll drive to where ever it is.
I think near the AT Museum would be a bonus.

2Questions
07-05-2012, 22:16
and I'll drive to where ever it is.
I think near the AT Museum would be a bonus.

I think it has been the last weekend in April. So 2013 would be April 26,27 & 28th. ZQ

Wise Old Owl
07-05-2012, 22:17
just one curious question this year I didn't remember camp fires - was it too dry or banned?

2Questions
07-05-2012, 22:18
just one curious question this year I didn't remember camp fires - was it too dry or banned?

No one brought fire wood. There was a fire ban at the time, but we were allowed to burn in the fire pits. There were some small camp fires. ZQ

Oh-No
07-06-2012, 11:52
I haven't made a MAHHA hang at PGF, but I've heard lots
of positives and no negatives of concequence, so I
vote "go for it". I hope to make it this Spring.

SoundMan
07-06-2012, 13:14
Some advantages to PGFSP are:
Parking is close to the group sites
Plenty of trees for hammocking (last year 3 sites held 75 hangers and coulld hold more)
Family campground is close to the group sites
Pavilion can be reserved for our Sat Breakafast and dinner get together
Large campfire location within the group site..we resreved three sites last year
Hiking..AT runs through the park...several blue blazes
Biking paths, two lakes, AT Museum

2Q
A return to PGF would be fantastic. :boggle:
Add to the criteria above the easy accessible central Mid-Atlantic location.
IF any future sites are considered, these advantages should be used as a criteria list (AT museum notwithstanding). .

Cali
07-06-2012, 13:18
I grew up in PA. and my family used to camp near Laurel lake which I think is one of the lakes you mentioned. I will try to attend if I can work it out. I wanted to go this year, but couldn't manage it.

2Questions
07-07-2012, 10:34
ZQ here...I called yesterday, and, like we guessed...they said that the group sites at PGFST reserve quickly. Tim said to go ahead and reserve/pay for group sites A,B,& C...the same for the Pavilion for the whole day on Saturday. So...everything we would need reserved, is.

Dates...April 26,27 & 28th 2013
-
-
-

lazy river road
07-07-2012, 11:30
ZQ here...I called yesterday, and, like we guessed...they said that the group sites at PGFST reserve quickly. Tim said to go ahead and reserved/pay for group sites A,B,& C...the same for the Pavilion for the whole day on Saturday. So...everything we would need reserved, is.

Thanks ZQ and 2Q your efforts are always appreciated. Looking forward to hanging with you all again.

Acer
07-07-2012, 11:46
Just checked my Delorme Mapping program,,and its 670.30 miles there and 10.14hrs. Just ran it by the wife and we might try and make this. I know its quite a ways off, but all she has to do is get off where she works. Time to drag her from the GSMNP for a new trip anyhow. She needs to see a diff. part of the US. :lol: Will keep everybody posted.

Manchego
07-07-2012, 13:29
I've never been, but I'm in for it.

HappyCamper
07-07-2012, 16:48
It's an absolutely beautiful area! Thanks for making the reservations!

G...Hawk
07-07-2012, 16:57
Beautiful Pine Grove ! Yes ! Thank you for making the reservations ! Again.

QiWiz
07-07-2012, 17:34
ZQ here...I called yesterday, and, like we guessed...they said that the group sites at PGFST reserve quickly. Tim said to go ahead and reserved/pay for group sites A,B,& C...the same for the Pavilion for the whole day on Saturday. So...everything we would need reserved, is.

Dates...April 26,27 & 28th 2013
-

How can I say no? Count me in . . . Anyone want to carpool from the west? NE OH or W PA?

2Questions
07-07-2012, 18:43
Thanks ZQ and 2Q your efforts are always appreciated. Looking forward to hanging with you all again.

It's an absolutely beautiful area! Thanks for making the reservations!

Beautiful Pine Grove ! Yes ! Thank you for making the reservations ! Again.

You're welcome! We are happy to contribute to the continued success of the spring MAHHA's!! ZQ

-
-

perrito
07-07-2012, 20:53
I'm looking forward to my first Spring MAHHA.

Cranky Bear
07-08-2012, 16:02
As always a big "Thanks" to 2Q and ZQ for their always awesome efforts in the planning of the Spring Mahha!

Will do my best to get off work for this.

SoundMan
07-08-2012, 16:18
Great news! Thanks 2Q/ZQ! Pine Grove rocks!

Let the PREHIKE planning begin! I would like to get a longer hike in...

I will watch closer to time for the PreHike threads.

2Questions
07-10-2012, 09:29
Bump...so anyone interested can see the dates and location far in advance! ZQ

Crash
07-10-2012, 11:01
I'm off that weekend and will be coming!

2Questions
07-13-2012, 06:41
Periodic bump for those that want to know! ZQ

uncle_ray_ray
07-13-2012, 18:17
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. had a great time at the existing location.

Ewker
07-14-2012, 10:15
Hamhocker and I are really thinking about trying to make this. It would be an 11-12 hr drive for us. We could possibly leave Thursday night and get there sometime Friday.

2Questions
07-15-2012, 18:12
Hamhocker and I are really thinking about trying to make this. It would be an 11-12 hr drive for us. We could possibly leave Thursday night and get there sometime Friday.

Great...it would be nice to meet you and all the other first timers!! ZQ

2Questions
07-20-2012, 21:24
Bump for anyone interested

jerseydave
07-21-2012, 06:41
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. had a great time at the existing location.

+1..... and a few more characters to make this thing happy

TRAVELER
07-21-2012, 07:17
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup::thumbup: Always look forward to getting to Pine grove my favorite event so far:jj: And thank you both for all the leg work that you do TRAV.

Black Foot
07-22-2012, 11:44
Marking this one on the calendar...

2Questions
08-03-2012, 07:21
Bump....For those that would like to know. ZQ

SkyPainter
08-03-2012, 10:56
Missed last year's MAHHA, but did manage to get to New Jersey for that hang! :D I hope to be able to travel again by the end of April, (Cancer treatments can beat you up a little bit) and might even be able to convince She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to come along as a (gulp!) ground sleeper. I will be snoozing in my Warbonnet - hehe! Drove to NJ from Boston for one night, I suppose driving to the MAHHA for a multi-night hang wouln't be an issue!

Thanks for all you do!

~ Sky

2Questions
08-23-2012, 10:58
Periodic bump for those that need to plan ahead! See post #9 for details (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=763871#post763871).
ZQ

QiWiz
10-29-2012, 14:16
to meeting many of you "in the flesh", so to speak. It looks like I will need to be in Baltimore for a work-related conference on Wednesday, 5/1, so I think I'll be able to come to the MAHHA and then do a post-hang hike on the AT from late Sunday until Wednesday afternoon.

For those of you who have hiked the AT in the vicinity of PGFSP, do you like the trail north or south of the Park more? Anyone want to do some trail with me and shuttle a car to the other end over this timeframe? I would need to be off trail on Wednesday by late afternoon. I know it's early, but I like to plan ahead.

PapaSmurf
10-29-2012, 15:08
Anyone want to do some trail with me and shuttle a car to the other end over this timeframe?

Too early to know my specific plans and I can't hike at your speed, but....
I do plan to attend and would like to get in a few miles, pre or post hang.
I can possibly help with a shuttle and share a day with you either NOBO or SOBO?

Black Foot
10-29-2012, 15:17
For those of you who have hiked the AT in the vicinity of PGFSP, do you like the trail north or south of the Park more?

I hiked it a few times and I would recommend starting from the South on this one. But either direction it beats a day in the office :)

QiWiz
10-29-2012, 15:40
Too early to know my specific plans and I can't hike at your speed, but....
I do plan to attend and would like to get in a few miles, pre or post hang.
I can possibly help with a shuttle and share a day with you either NOBO or SOBO?

Papa - would be great fun to share trail with you again. Let's stay in touch and make some more detailed plans once we get closer to the event. I would probably arrive mid-afternoon on Friday at the MAHHA gathering, but could shuttle and hike back to the Park or hike away from the Park beginning Sunday and ending Wednesday. I don't have any goals or expectations for daily mileage, or anything of the sort, so no worries. Will be a good time to try some creative trail cookery, which I've been having a lot of fun with lately.

Two Tents
10-29-2012, 15:43
I'll be wanting to carpool out and hike with ya too, QiWiz, if you want. NOBO, SOBO it doesn't matter. It's all good trail time. Just sayin.

G...Hawk
10-29-2012, 16:56
I am also looking for a pre or post hike.

G

TRU
10-29-2012, 17:08
I'm excited about another MAHHA! And for this one, I'll even be in a hammock! Now, to convince the wifey to come along too!

2Questions
10-29-2012, 17:12
I'm excited about another MAHHA! And for this one, I'll even be in a hammock! Now, to convince the wifey to come along too!

ZQ here.....FYI...there is a family campground just up the road, with on site electric, and bath houses with showers and flush toilets!! I already have my site reserved! 2Q of course will be hanging with the hangers!

TRU
10-29-2012, 17:22
ZQ - I'll pass that very helpful tidbit of information on to my better half. Thanx!

[o]TTeR
10-30-2012, 14:26
After hanging with you fine Mid-Atlantic folks at Spring MAHHA 2012, I’ve been looking forward to Spring 2013, great "neck of the woods" you have down there :woot:! Weighing in before I book vacation time, can you spare a couple of trees in Pine Grove for a Canadian(s?) looking to hang around and possibly wonder about the AT with a camera for a couple of days? If so, has the planning spread-sheet been started yet??

2Questions
10-30-2012, 14:32
TTeR;847355']After hanging with you fine Mid-Atlantic folks at Spring MAHHA 2012, I’ve been looking forward to Spring 2013, great "neck of the woods" you have down there :woot:! Weighing in before I book vacation time, can you spare a couple of trees in Pine Grove for a Canadian(s?) looking to hang around and possibly wonder about the AT with a camera for a couple of days? If so, has the planning spread-sheet been started yet??

ZQ here...You fine Canadians are always welcome!:) Tim will start the spread sheet after the first of the year.

[o]TTeR
10-30-2012, 14:51
ZQ here...You fine Canadians are always welcome!:) Tim will start the spread sheet after the first of the year.

:thumbup: I'm in for sure, looking forward to seeing everyone in April!

Porkroll
10-31-2012, 21:23
Looking forward to the Spring MAHHA Hang. I may pick vacation the week leading up to, or following the hang, so I can do a hike too!

Two Tents
10-31-2012, 21:50
Looking forward to the Spring MAHHA Hang. I may pick vacation the week leading up to, or following the hang, so I can do a hike too!

A couple of us are planning hiking NOBO out of MAHHA for 6 or 7 days. The mileage and details are to be worked out yet. Just sayin.

Porkroll
11-01-2012, 06:32
A couple of us are planning hiking NOBO out of MAHHA for 6 or 7 days. The mileage and details are to be worked out yet. Just sayin.

That sounds great Two Tents. I'll pick my vaca for a post hang hike then.

harleynemo
11-01-2012, 11:20
I am in for a hike after the hang. Being fresh and clean for the hang would be great, and I can't pass up any opportunity to follow Ben on a hike.....and Two Tents too!!

perrito
11-02-2012, 17:53
Following Ben shouldn't be a problem, but following TwoTents, hmmmm....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Kilo3
11-04-2012, 21:40
Well I am 3 hours away Pittsburgh to Pine Grove.......maybe.

Porkroll
11-05-2012, 20:44
I just picked my vacations today, I am set for the Spring MAHHA Hang, and a post hang hike!

kayak karl
11-05-2012, 20:58
it's still no pets. Right?

2Questions
11-05-2012, 21:31
it's still no pets. Right?

ZQ here....as far as I know, things haven't changed. Dogs are allowed in designated campsites in the family campground, but not in the group camping area.:( Last year, some brought their dogs, but it really isn't allowed. I do think they are allowed at the pavillon. Pet rules are on the PA State Parks website.

Two Tents
11-06-2012, 10:23
ZQ here....as far as I know, things haven't changed. Dogs are allowed in designated campsites in the family campground, but not in the group camping area.:( Last year, some brought their dogs, but it really isn't allowed. I do think they are allowed at the pavillon. Pet rules are on the PA State Parks website.

Unless it is a service dog. They are allowed. ( I emailed Pine Grove SP and they said yes, they are allowed in the group area.) Don't be too quick to judge when you see someone in a public place wth a dog at their side. A service dog is not a pet and not all disabilities are visible. Just sayin.

2Questions
11-06-2012, 10:41
ZQ here....yes, I wasn't talking about service dogs. Those great dogs are allowed everywhere! One can usually tell the difference between a service dog and a family pet...a service dog is working...body language...just sayin!:)

2Questions
11-06-2012, 10:51
I should add....Two Tents, I am glad you addressed the service dog issue. I agree...one should'nt be too quick to judge...I think it is wonderful and liberating to have these service dogs...the training that went into making them the teammates they are.

MML
11-06-2012, 11:24
Not sure yet for me as I won't know till end of February or early March what my April work schedule might be. It all depends on my Penn State Basketball schedule and tournaments in April and also any touring shows at the Bryce Jordan arena (http://www.bjc.psu.edu/).
But as always, I will do my best to hike!!! People have been telling me to take a hike my whole life, so it sorta stuck.
MML

fishbait
11-06-2012, 12:02
This is a tough decision, Spring MAHHA or another Section Hike. I'm planning on doing a section hike from 4/20 - 4/28, I may have to wait for the Fall MAHHA

Black Wolf
11-06-2012, 14:20
I hiked in NOBO last year from Washington DC .. gotta' watch those Spring hikes ..

eLnCu4q96SM

kayak karl
11-06-2012, 14:25
Kaia, she is no service dog, she's a spoiled little..................:lol:

G.L.P.
11-06-2012, 14:26
Unless it is a service dog. They are allowed. ( I emailed Pine Grove SP and they said yes, they are allowed in the group area.) Don't be too quick to judge when you see someone in a public place wth a dog at their side. A service dog is not a pet and not all disabilities are visible. Just sayin.

I love your dog he was cool.. :D
hope to see him again this spring ;)

Wanderlost
11-06-2012, 16:17
I'm looking forward to going! This will be numero uno for me. Any tips and do's and don't's for newbies? :D

Two Tents
11-06-2012, 18:05
Do plan on staying the whole weekend and don't be shy. Ask questions and do make some new friends! Do a hike in or out of MAHHA!

fishbait
11-08-2012, 11:12
I hiked in NOBO last year from Washington DC .. gotta' watch those Spring hikes ..

That just might be an option. I can take the train into DC then into Harpers Ferry and Hike up to the park. I'd just need to find a ride back to New Jersey

harleynemo
11-09-2012, 15:58
That just might be an option. I can take the train into DC then into Harpers Ferry and Hike up to the park. I'd just need to find a ride back to New Jersey

I live in the DC area and will be headed to MAHHA if you need a lift. I am hiking NOBO after the hang, so if you hike NOBO with us, you will be closer to NJ:)

Porkroll
11-09-2012, 16:03

I am doing the NOBO hike after the Spring MAHHA, and I live in NJ. So I could give you a ride home if you're doing the hike.

hercdiver
11-09-2012, 17:35
Sounds great. We'll be there for sure!

Yojimbo
11-09-2012, 19:45
Planning to be there. Now to talk my wife into coming. I think my son wants to bring his girlfriend as well.

fishbait
11-09-2012, 19:58
I live in the DC area and will be headed to MAHHA if you need a lift. I am hiking NOBO after the hang, so if you hike NOBO with us, you will be closer to NJ:)

I am doing the NOBO hike after the Spring MAHHA, and I live in NJ. So I could give you a ride home if you're doing the hike.

Thanks for the offer guys, but I was thinking of hiking from Harpers Ferry to Pine Grove. I'd be starting my hike April 21st with the intention of arriving on the 26th. It's a toss up right now because I was also planning on hiking the Georgia section of the AT.

2Questions
11-09-2012, 22:57
Planning to be there. Now to talk my wife into coming. I think my son wants to bring his girlfriend as well.

Artjrk....see post #40...might make it OK with your wife to come! ZQ

Yojimbo
11-09-2012, 23:51
ZQ

That might work. She needs the electric for her CPAP.

2Questions
11-09-2012, 23:59
ZQ - I'll pass that very helpful tidbit of information on to my better half. Thanx!

ZQ

That might work. She needs the electric for her CPAP.

FYI...electric sites at PA State parks reserve quickly...especially the pet sites. ZQ

jerzybears
11-17-2012, 20:14
Put Russ and me on the list!!!:laugh:

RedBeardHanger
11-30-2012, 20:25
I will definitely try to make this one!!! As it is not far from me...

OldRagFreeze
01-07-2013, 11:04
I will definitely try to make this one!!! As it is not far from me...

Ditto. Do I need to reserve a spot?

2Questions
01-07-2013, 11:10
Ditto. Do I need to reserve a spot?

No, we have group sites A, B, & C reserved for Friday and Saturday nights. And the pavilion is reserved for all day Saturday. ZQ

OldRagFreeze
01-07-2013, 11:17
No, we have group sites A, B, & C reserved for Friday and Saturday nights. And the pavilion is reserved for all day Saturday. ZQ

Awesome, I really want to come... But I just realized Sunday is my first anniversary. :scared:

I think I can still get a pass for at least Friday though. :D

2Questions
01-07-2013, 11:24
Awesome, I really want to come... But I just realized Sunday is my first anniversary. :scared:

I think I can still get a pass for at least Friday though. :D

How about Sunday afternoon, evening celebration! :) ZQ

NarlocB
01-15-2013, 17:45
Put me down as tentative. I definitely live close enough to drive up. Just need to coordinate with family.

Joey
01-16-2013, 14:18
After missing the last Spring and Fall MAHHA, I've finally worked things out at home and work and officially have this on my calendar! See ya' there!!!

On another note; I've a bunch of gear that I'm just not using. I've been in a kind mood, and thought of bring it all to MAHHA to set up a PIF/give away spot. I may start a separate thread for this later. Just putting a teaser out...there may be free gear for those that can make it! ;-)

WalksInDark
01-16-2013, 18:35
Too soon to know my schedule for sure, so put me down as a strong "Maybe."

2Questions
01-16-2013, 18:43
...ZQ here...FYI...Sometime in the near future...Tim will be starting a planning thread with a signup sheet.

fishbait
01-23-2013, 13:52
Well with the change of date to my AT Hike I can now make this hang. I can make it for Saturday and Sunday, I might even be able to convince my son to come along.

jerzybears
01-27-2013, 19:35
Russ and I are already looking forward to the hang and something interesting to bring to the potluck!!:thumbup1:

2Questions
01-27-2013, 20:52
New planning thread created here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67139). Sign up sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_1g-9ThQhbdDNrVEdSUlVydFB3X3BqOTUyTU1KMHc#gid=0)for this event. Sign up now!

fishbait
01-31-2013, 16:41
If I leave from work I might even be able to squeeze in a Friday night.

2Questions
02-06-2013, 06:10
...ZQ here....I have requested that this thread be closed. Here is the link to the Official planning thread I started. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67695