PDA

View Full Version : Backpack

Just Jeff
09-02-2008, 20:16
My GoLite Speed has been a great pack, but it's nearing the end...I got a pretty good hole in it on this last trip. It probably has enough time left to keep as a loaner, but I need a new primary pack. Not really set on anything in particular. Does anyone have an extra pack, nearly new, for a good deal?

I'd like the following things, but the only real criteria is under 3 pounds.
- 3000-4000 ci
- Comfortable at ~30 lbs
- Cuben would rock
- External pad pocket like the Gossamer Gear packs would rock just as much
- At least two outer pockets for water bottles

I'd consider a Gear Skin or a Luxury Lite if anyone is willing to part with theirs.

What's out there?

FanaticFringer
09-02-2008, 20:57
http://cgi.ebay.com/GoLite-Lite-Speed-ultra-light-backpack-New-with-tags_W0QQitemZ110285343191QQihZ001QQcategoryZ36111 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Size large

Coffee
09-02-2008, 21:23
I would consider my gearskin. I don't use it anymore exact to carry a drybag on a canoe trip. I have just shy of a 19" torso I think.

The only reason I haven't offered it up sooner is I don't think I would expect too much for it. It has about 700 AT miles on it and a handfull of other trips. I field repaired the hipbelt seam and load lifter seams. I went back later and sewed them with my machine. I added a strap on both top corners. I think it holds the corners in better.

Other than that it is in good condition and could serve you well.

Let me know if you are interested and we can work something out. I left it back in NOLA (hoping to claim insurance on it). I should be back there on Sunday or Monday. Not sure when mail or shipping will be in full swing, but I will get it out to you when I can.

headchange4u
09-02-2008, 21:28
Good to hear you are safe Coffee.

Coffee
09-02-2008, 22:00
Good to hear you are safe Coffee.

Thanks, I headed back to Cincy on Friday last week before everyone else left. Hope to be back on Sunday. I count myself as one of the lucky ones. I have a company that supports and helps me out and friends to stay with. Next time I think I will fly somewhere and go hiking for awhile. The problem is that I couldn't tell how long it would be when I left.

Just Jeff
09-03-2008, 05:08
It has about 700 AT miles on it and a handfull of other trips.

Does it stink?

Hooch
09-03-2008, 08:10
Does it stink?Does a bear $#!& in the woods? :lol::scared:

Ramblinrev
09-03-2008, 08:29
Does it stink?

Would you want it if it didn't?

Coffee
09-03-2008, 09:05
Does it stink?

Not too bad considering. I would always hang it on the ridgeline of the hammock outside of the tarp. It got a good washing a couple times a week.

If you want I'll mail it to you and you can decide.

ringtail-THFKAfood
09-03-2008, 09:40
My "go to" pack is the Six Moon Designs Starlight.

The Gearskin is a great pack and carries a heavy load very well. I use it when travelling with my duffel. The entire duffle fits into the Gearskin and then carries like a backpack. At luggage check-in the Gearskin goes inside the duffle. However, it does not fit my system for packing and unpacking. I prefer a top loader.

Just Jeff
09-03-2008, 19:20
Would you want it if it didn't?

Haha - stink is good...just not other people's stink!

stormcrow
10-19-2008, 21:46
I see this thread has not been active for a little while and did not know if you found that pack you were looking for...Anyway..

I have a brand new, never been used, golite Jam2 you could have for $50. I have one already and dont need two (long story). I am saving up for an underquillt...(Ive seen your DIY quilts and maybe we could work something out on other trades or something if you have an extra quilt lying around...:))

I have some high quality SOG and microtech knives I am getting ready to put on ebay or craigslist that a hammocker might get first dibs at if they want to pm me. They are a little used so they will be relatively CHEAP. Anyway, just putting that out there.

Adam

Just Jeff
10-20-2008, 21:26
Thanks for asking. I'm trying out Coffee's gearskin and still considering getting a cuben Z-pack. Not really interested in a Jam.