PDA

View Full Version : Bridge hammock battle!!

BackPackHiker
07-10-2012, 14:26
Great news everyone I have three bridge hammock companies on board and I am planing to do a video comparing them all. It is going to be epic. The companies that will be featured are...

Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
Lawson Blue Ridge
Eureka Chrysalis

I will keep you posted but I am hoping to have the video up by the end of the summer/early fall. It would be great if I could get a Warbonnet Bridge hammock in on this action.

If you are interested in this video please comment.

If you'd like to skip ahead a few months, you can view the video review by skipping to post #194 here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1031754&highlight=battle#post1031754). The OP accepted hammocks for review, but took an entire year to post the results.

raiffnuke
07-10-2012, 14:27
I look forward to your video. I have always wanted to try a bridge hammock.

Tendertoe
07-10-2012, 14:37
I'll be looking forward to the reviews.

I've tried a bridge or two. I'd be interested to see how they all fair head to head.

I hope you're going to throw them under a tarp or two. I would love to see each under the same tarp. One of the concerns I see often is how a bridge fits under a tarp.

BillyBob58
07-10-2012, 15:05

I've tried a bridge or two. I'd be interested to see how they all fair head to head.

I hope you're going to throw them under a tarp or two. I would love to see each under the same tarp. One of the concerns I see often is how a bridge fits under a tarp.

What he said!

BackPackHiker
07-10-2012, 15:13

Hey Tendertoe,

That is a great idea, I will test these hammocks under the JRB Large tarp, TTTM tarp and DD tarp. (Those are all the tarps I have)

HomeMadeHiker
07-10-2012, 15:27
Interested.

dragon360
07-10-2012, 15:30
I'm with raiffnuke - never tried one but have always been really curious. Battle away!!

FireInMyBones
07-10-2012, 15:38
I have definitely been bridge curious for a while. I plan on doing my first DIY bridge in the next week or so, but I'm looking forward to the video.

BackPackHiker
07-10-2012, 17:05
Just got the news, the Warbonnet Bridge Hammock will Also be featured in this review!

MAD777
07-10-2012, 17:14
Just got the news, the Warbonnet Bridge Hammock will Also be featured in this review!

Yikes Stripes!

Fish_man
07-10-2012, 17:42
I may be new to the hammock camping fun but I am always looking for new things to improve my hobbies

BackPackHiker
07-11-2012, 08:00
If there is anything you would like to see in this review please post it as I am open for sugestions.

MAD777
07-11-2012, 08:39
As a side sleeper, I know that bridges aren't the best at accommodating drawing up the knees into a semi-fetal position. But, I'd like you to compare your opinion of comfort in this position.

Yukon
07-11-2012, 08:41

Now I'm interested....

Mikeinajeep
07-11-2012, 09:31
This could be helpful when buying my next hammock.

JaxHiker
07-11-2012, 09:50
This thread has my interest. ;)

Gary_R
07-11-2012, 09:52
Great news everyone I have three bridge hammock companies on board and I am planing to do a video comparing them all. It is going to be epic. The companies that will be featured are...

Lawson Blue Ridge
Eureka Chrysalis

I will keep you posted but I am hoping to have the video up by the end of the summer/early fall. It would be great if I could get a Warbonnet Bridge hammock in on this action.

Similar to our project this weekend. But we are covering more than bridge's. Look forward to seeing yours

BackPackHiker
07-11-2012, 11:00
As a side sleeper, I know that bridges aren't the best at accommodating drawing up the knees into a semi-fetal position. But, I'd like you to compare your opinion of comfort in this position.

Will do Mad777

GrizzlyAdams
07-11-2012, 12:13
as long as suggestions are being offered (and seemingly taken) for this review, comparisons/analysis I would give were I to do such a review

Tarp related
-- how long is the hammock, suspension triangle apex to apex
-- how wide is the hammock at the widest points
-- what sort of surface or protrusions would touch the tarp at the widest points
-- distance between spreader bars (i.e., length of hammock measured from spreader bar to spreader bar)
-- how deep is the hammock from spreader bar to bottom of hammock under load (relates to coverage from wind-blown rain under the edge of the tarp

Hammock related
-- distance between spreader bars
-- length of spreader bars
-- weight of spreader bars
-- ability to substitute hiking poles for spreader bars
-- width of fabric under the spreader bar
-- width of fabric at the middle of the hammock
-- weight
-- bugnet, ease of use
-- means of connecting spreader bar to hammock
-- storage, if any. How much, how does it affect balance
-- ability to include pad
-- support for attaching underquilt and/or weather cover

Perception
-- "view" from within the hammock
-- "feel" at the shoulders
-- "tippiness"
-- ability to curl, how far up can one's knees be brought up and held in place comfortably for an extended period of time
-- aesthetic "look" of hammock

There's probably more but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head. Looking forward to the review

Tendertoe
07-11-2012, 12:16
as long as suggestions are being offered (and seemingly taken) for this review, comparisons/analysis I would give were I to do such a review

Tarp related
-- what sort of surface or protrusions would touch the tarp at the widest points
-- distance between spreader bars (i.e., length of hammock measured from spreader bar to spreader bar)
-- how deep is the hammock from spreader bar to bottom of hammock under load (relates to coverage from wind-blown rain under the edge of the tarp

Hammock related
-- weight
-- bugnet, ease of use

Perception
-- "tippiness"
-- ability to curl, how far up can one's knees be brought up and held in place comfortably for an extended period of time

There's probably more but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head. Looking forward to the review

Gotta love a "quant's perspective" on a topic.

Very...quantitative ;)

I'd also be interested in all of the above.

Cali
07-11-2012, 12:24
Definitely interested in this thread. :) Can't wait for the results. :)

Cannibal
07-11-2012, 12:47
Back in 2000, boxers Russell Rees and Des Sowden entered the ring. The bell for Round 1 was rung and 4 seconds later, Des Sowden was on his back unconscious.
Based on this addition...

...that was a long fight to see who was best compared to the upcoming match. :lol:

To be fair, I haven't used a Chrysalis yet.

ShadowAlpha
07-11-2012, 12:57
following thread

BackPackHiker
07-11-2012, 13:52

Tarp related

Hammock related
-- weight
-- bugnet, ease of use

Perception
-- "tippiness"

Thanks for all of the great ideas, I will include all of these in the review.

BillyBob58
07-11-2012, 19:55
Thanks for all of the great ideas, I will include all of these in the review.

All your missing is a JRB UL thrown into the mix!

You might compare some of these hammocks with pad use. I find the JRB with pad pocket to be about the best hammock I have ever used with a pad. Plus has an added advantage of actually widening the shoulder area at least with some pads. It would be interesting to see if all the bridge hammocks work about as well with pads.

And as I think has already been mentioned, how much interference there is with tarps by the spreader bars.

GrizzlyAdams
07-11-2012, 21:05
one more, ability to place arm above head. This has to do with sleeping on my side, and end caps. On my side I put my head on my arm which I extend more or less straight above my head.

My summer bridge hammock is open at the ends to let air through and get out of the way of my arm.

Mule
07-11-2012, 21:22
I have the Chrysilis, and it is very cool, but I have to say, it lays sooooooo flat that it feels downright hard under you. I now appreciate a little teeny bit of shoulder squeeze. The way the hammock HOLDS you is important. The Chrysilis is so nice in so many ways, but I think it will be more comfortable with a pad on the inside. I can put my arm straight up or straight out in front of me, but it has no support out in front of me and feels uncomfortable. With a more conventional bridge, it limits my arm extension but also holds it up. Just some random comments.

ricecg
07-11-2012, 22:13
I don't know if this off-topic but i was searching around for the Eureka Crysalis and noticed the attachment buckle looks like a hybrid of Dutch clips and Bloomgorge Elephant trunks...http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/494?s=section_4... just wondering if i was crazy...

fly fisher
07-11-2012, 22:43
I'm interested.

charlieb
07-12-2012, 02:30
Definitely interested.

born2roam
07-12-2012, 02:38
who am I trying to kid..... not replying .... no ..

of course interested!

Grtz Johan

Mule
07-12-2012, 05:52
I don't know if this off-topic but i was searching around for the Eureka Crysalis and noticed the attachment buckle looks like a hybrid of Dutch clips and Bloomgorge Elephant trunks...http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/494?s=section_4... just wondering if i was crazy...
Looks like it to me, too, but I didn't get one of those with mine, must be new. BTW, the hammock itself is not over 5 lbs like it says, thats for everything, the shelter and hammock. I had to change to carbon fiber spreader bars and make some other changes to get it at 4 lbs for fly and hammock.
Yes, I am very interested.

bindibadgi
07-12-2012, 06:32
There's one way I love to lie in bed, and I've never been able to get it to work, even remotely, in any non-bridge hammock I've tried. I'd like to know how easily it can be achieved in a bridge hammock, if at all.

It's almost identical to the "Jethro Tull" (more commonly known as the "ballerina") with one leg straight and the other tucked up with the knee out, but it's actually on my stomach, head turned to the side of the leg which is bent. I also have one arm straight down beside me (the same side as the straightened leg).

If there's a bridge hammock that allows this, then I'm almost certain to get it.

Even if my description above makes no sense and you don't include it, I still really appreciate that you're doing this comparison, and I'll be following the thread closely.

All the best!

WV
07-12-2012, 07:06
This project has probably expanded from what you originally thought, with all the factors people have suggested, BackPackHiker. I hope you'll have the time and energy to do all this testing, because there have been a lot of good ideas offered. I thought of sending you BER's Cloud (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40253) bridge to test, as well, but decided against it, because it's not commercially available to others, and besides, BER improved on it with his version 3, and there may be a version 4 by now. In that same vein, Angry Sparrow has a Griz Bridge that he has shared with quite a few people. We had the opportunity to compare it with the Cloud Bridge at the Mt. Rogers Hang a couple of years ago. Again, it's a DIY hammock, and I think you do well to limit your tests to models that can be purchased by more people.

Now, having simplified your task, I'm going to complicate it. I think you should enlist a panel of testers - as many as possible - to offer their opinions on the comfort of these hammocks. Further, you should try to arrange for each tester to spend a night in each hammock. Of course, the test group should include people of all shapes and sizes - maybe some with experience with bridge hammocks and some newbies, too. I know that's a tall order. My $.02. Good luck. :)

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 07:52
one more, ability to place arm above head. This has to do with sleeping on my side, and end caps. On my side I put my head on my arm which I extend more or less straight above my head.

My summer bridge hammock is open at the ends to let air through and get out of the way of my arm.

Ok, Arm above head check. I will be sure to add this.:lol:

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 08:02
There's one way I love to lie in bed, and I've never been able to get it to work, even remotely, in any non-bridge hammock I've tried. I'd like to know how easily it can be achieved in a bridge hammock, if at all.

It's almost identical to the "Jethro Tull" (more commonly known as the "ballerina") with one leg straight and the other tucked up with the knee out, but it's actually on my stomach, head turned to the side of the leg which is bent. I also have one arm straight down beside me (the same side as the straightened leg).

If there's a bridge hammock that allows this, then I'm almost certain to get it.

Even if my description above makes no sense and you don't include it, I still really appreciate that you're doing this comparison, and I'll be following the thread closely.

All the best!

Ballerina pose check. I would be happy to include this in the review:lol: I am getting a few request for different sleeping positions. I really want this to be a review that includes what people want to see so keep the suggestions coming.

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 08:07
This project has probably expanded from what you originally thought, with all the factors people have suggested, BackPackHiker. I hope you'll have the time and energy to do all this testing, because there have been a lot of good ideas offered. I thought of sending you BER's Cloud (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40253) bridge to test, as well, but decided against it, because it's not commercially available to others, and besides, BER improved on it with his version 3, and there may be a version 4 by now. In that same vein, Angry Sparrow has a Griz Bridge that he has shared with quite a few people. We had the opportunity to compare it with the Cloud Bridge at the Mt. Rogers Hang a couple of years ago. Again, it's a DIY hammock, and I think you do well to limit your tests to models that can be purchased by more people.

Now, having simplified your task, I'm going to complicate it. I think you should enlist a panel of testers - as many as possible - to offer their opinions on the comfort of these hammocks. Further, you should try to arrange for each tester to spend a night in each hammock. Of course, the test group should include people of all shapes and sizes - maybe some with experience with bridge hammocks and some newbies, too. I know that's a tall order. My $.02. Good luck. :)

Hello, I will PM you about the cloud bridge. I think that is a great idea and I was planning to get two other people to sleep in the hammocks and give thier feedback. I am average size 5' 10' 160lb. I have a friend who is 6' 2 and about 220-250 and my brother who is 5' 4' and about 160. So I think that will give everyone a idea of how that hammock sleeps small medium and large people. And yes this is becoming a big project but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 08:45
I am going to try and get my hands on the GoPro Hero 2 for this video review. I don't have the spare cash for it but it would be awesome if they sponsored this video series, I will see what I can do :shades:

Otherwise I will stick to my Canon camera. I am thinking that this video might take a little longer than I first anticipated as I am still waiting for most of the gear to arrive. I will plan to have it finished by Christmas as my gift to hammockforums.net :D

Thank you so far for all of the great response.

BER
07-12-2012, 09:04

Hello, I will PM you about the cloud bridge. I think that is a great idea and I was planning to get two other people to sleep in the hammocks and give thier feedback. I am average size 5' 10' 160lb. I have a friend who is 6' 2 and about 220-250 and my brother who is 5' 4' and about 160. So I think that will give everyone a idea of how that hammock sleeps small medium and large people. And yes this is becoming a big project but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Nick,

While I am flattered the you and WV would consider using one of my DIYs in your review, I don't think that it fits in with the others. They are simple no nonsense netless, endcap-less DIY. They are not commercially available and will not be in the future unless someone else decides to make something similar. I have already written up the Cloud in it's own thread, and improved on it with my Cirrus hammock (also written up).

If you really want a noncommercial comparison, one of the GrizzBridges would probably be more appropriate as his quality and engineering is as close as one could hope for as a "nearly commercial" grade DIY. That being said, if you really want to use it for comparison sake, I will send you the Cirrus, but not with the intent of being reviewed--more of a comparison of comfort based on dimensions for your own satisfaction. I will send you a PM with a chart of dimensions that I have garnered that may/may not be helpful.

Brian

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 09:27
Nick,

While I am flattered the you and WV would consider using one of my DIYs in your review, I don't think that it fits in with the others. They are simple no nonsense netless, endcap-less DIY. They are not commercially available and will not be in the future unless someone else decides to make something similar. I have already written up the Cloud in it's own thread, and improved on it with my Cirrus hammock (also written up).

If you really want a noncommercial comparison, one of the GrizzBridges would probably be more appropriate as his quality and engineering is as close as one could hope for as a "nearly commercial" grade DIY. That being said, if you really want to use it for comparison sake, I will send you the Cirrus, but not with the intent of being reviewed--more of a comparison of comfort based on dimensions for your own satisfaction. I will send you a PM with a chart of dimensions that I have garnered that may/may not be helpful.

Brian

So it seems that the DIY BER Cirrus will be included in the review in a DIY category for viewers to see what can be done on their own as well as what can be purchased. Personally I know I have always wondered if the DIY projects compare in comfort to the Manufactured gear. Thank you BER for your contribution.

WV
07-12-2012, 09:48
BER, that's kind of you.

Nick, in that case, I won't send you the Cloud, but I hereby resolve to give it some more testing this summer and post my impressions. I don't see the lack of end caps as a problem, and I'll rig my own bugnet and bottom insulation. FWIW, I found it at least as comfortable (perhaps moreso) that the Eureka and the Grizbridge, but those two were early versions of each, so comparisons may not mean much.

GrizzlyAdams
07-12-2012, 09:56
If there is a DIY category I'll put in a GrizzBridge. There have been changes over the years and I would have my current preferences reflected.

As I won't really be able to make one until September, I'm glad this is a long lived project!

Cranky Bear
07-12-2012, 09:59
Looking forward to reading/seeing the review to come and it sounds like it will be very thorough from all the suggestions that have been posted. I currently own a GrizzBridge and while I have found it (and most everyone that has tried it) to be the most comfortable hammock I have ("Gulp") been thinking on selling it............I am a gram wheenie and I have a new hammock with net coming in at a little over 9oz ( think it's around 9.6oz but my memory stinks) that was DIY'd by a friend and it is super comfy, not as comfy as the GB but I just can't bring myself to take it with me.

Look forward to the specs of the other bridge's and hopefully it will change my mind (and my user (backpacking) hammock).

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 10:44
All your missing is a JRB UL thrown into the mix!

You might compare some of these hammocks with pad use. I find the JRB with pad pocket to be about the best hammock I have ever used with a pad. Plus has an added advantage of actually widening the shoulder area at least with some pads. It would be interesting to see if all the bridge hammocks work about as well with pads.

And as I think has already been mentioned, how much interference there is with tarps by the spreader bars.

I will add the pad test to this review and yes the spreader bars in tarps has been mentioned.

Thanks

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 10:53
If there is a DIY category I'll put in a GrizzBridge. There have been changes over the years and I would have my current preferences reflected.

As I won't really be able to make one until September, I'm glad this is a long lived project!

Sounds good,

I would love to see the GrizzBridge featured in a DIY category

BackPackHiker
07-12-2012, 18:15
It would also be great to test out some underquilts for this video. I will showcase the JRB MT.WASHINGTON 4.

BillyBob58
07-12-2012, 19:24
It would also be great to test out some underquilts for this video. I will showcase the JRB MT.WASHINGTON 4.

It might work just as well with with all the other hammocks in your test, or some other quilts might work as well with the JRB BMBH.

But: except possibly for a Speer PeaPod around a Claytor No Net or Expedition hammock, it is hard for me to imagine any quilt/hammock combo working better than the standard BMBH ( actually for me the original BMBH) and a JRB MW4. There are essentially no adjustments to be made, you just run hammock loops through quilt loops and attach hammock loops to the JRB suspension biners. Which results in no gaps each and every time, and no place for cold air to seep between quilt and hammock ends. Plus, you can not roll off of the quilt and it can not slip off of a shoulder. And if you need a temp boost, you still have the wonderful JRB pad pocket. Seems very hard to beat to me.

Guess I am starting to sound a little biased. Best with pad, best hammock/quilt combo= JRB MW4/BMBH. But your tests might turn up something better!

dblhmmck
07-12-2012, 19:59
Sounds good,

I would love to see the GrizzBridge featured in a DIY category

If a DIY category is to be created, I would like to submit one of the dblhmmck models (single occupancy). I believe the distance between spreader bars is a full foot shorter than most other models. I also incorporate a very narrow foot end. I would love to know how those features would be percieved by others. Please let me know if you would like for me to send one. I would be happy to do it.

BackPackHiker
07-13-2012, 07:59
If a DIY category is to be created, I would like to submit one of the dblhmmck models (single occupancy). I believe the distance between spreader bars is a full foot shorter than most other models. I also incorporate a very narrow foot end. I would love to know how those features would be percieved by others. Please let me know if you would like for me to send one. I would be happy to do it.

dblhmmck, I would love to test out your product in this review, I look forward to seeing how it compares to the other hammocks considering it has the smaller speader bars. I am sure it will do better in the Tarp Test.

:shades:

BER
07-13-2012, 14:18
I will bow out of this review as it seems our colleague is now requesting that the hammock be donated (not unreasonable given the possibility of damage from testing/multiple reviewers). Since this is my only bridge hammock at present, with no plans to make another in the foreseeable future, I will decline to participate.

Deadphans
07-14-2012, 09:11
This definitely has my interest. Been thinking of purchasing a bridge so this video will help for sure.

Law Dawg (ret)
07-14-2012, 10:49
Ballerina pose check. I would be happy to include this in the review:lol: I am getting a few request for different sleeping positions. I really want this to be a review that includes what people want to see so keep the suggestions coming.

I call it the "jackknife" position and it is how I mostly sleep in the regular bed...in the gathered end WBBB I sleep fine on my back. Probably would want to jackknife in a bridge because of the flatter lay. Anyhoo, sleeping positions are also going to be affected by shoulder girth and general width. Maybe even length of legs compared to torso (for us Celt types with long torsos and shortish legs).

You sure have your research work cut out. ;)

BackPackHiker
07-14-2012, 18:48
I will bow out of this review as it seems our colleague is now requesting that the hammock be donated (not unreasonable given the possibility of damage from testing/multiple reviewers). Since this is my only bridge hammock at present, with no plans to make another in the foreseeable future, I will decline to participate.

Please know that this is not for selfesh reasons. I just don't want the complication of reviewing your product and having it damaged or lost in the mail and than having to reslove a dispute. Thank you for your generosity in being willing to lend your only hammock for review.

Tuck
07-14-2012, 23:34
I'm not trying to sound impatient or anything, but after reading six pages of text only to find no videos drives me a little crazy.:laugh: I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

Oh, one more thing...No offense to the OP, but I think it would be fun to get Shug to be an assistant reviewer with the videos.:lol:

bindibadgi
07-15-2012, 00:38
I think it would be fun to get Shug to be an assistant reviewer with the videos.:lol:

Why, are you planning to enter your hammock from a unicycle? Or do a headstand in it? :lol:

I'm always in for a Shug video!

GT
07-15-2012, 10:19
I'll place my bet on the JRB. hands down.

hangnout
07-15-2012, 12:06
The problem with bridge hammocks is that it is hard to make one hammock to fit all body sizes. The test results will vary based on height and shoulder width of user.

A Grizz bridge customized to user would win every time.:D

Tuck
07-15-2012, 16:56
Why, are you planning to enter your hammock from a unicycle? Or do a headstand in it? :lol:

I'm always in for a Shug video!

I think it would be cool if Shug could juggle the spreader bars for minute or so and then throw them 30 feet in the air, grab the hammock and let the bars fall into place.:laugh:

BackPackHiker
07-15-2012, 17:12
I'm not trying to sound impatient or anything, but after reading six pages of text only to find no videos drives me a little crazy.:laugh: I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

Oh, one more thing...No offense to the OP, but I think it would be fun to get Shug to be an assistant reviewer with the videos.:lol:

I would love to do a video with shug, he is one of the reasons I started hammock camping. His top quality vidoes is something that I am working towards. Unfortunatly I live in Canada Eh. So it probably wont be possible.

GrizzlyAdams
07-15-2012, 17:42

After seeing this posting I proposed to BackPackHiker that I would provide a bridge hammock for review with bi-directional shipping costs covered by me, and an understanding that "things happen" w.r.t wear and tear on the hammock by multiple reviewers. But I'd like the hammock back eventually, because my practice is to place my hammocks with people who use them. I'm willing to take the risk something hammocks to the hammock accidentally.

BackPackHiker respectfully but definitively declined stating he wants no responsibility for the state of the hammock considering that others besides he will use it, and the only way he can be assured of no responsibility is by requiring the submitter give up all rights to the hammock.

I would have made one specifically for this review. Having a hammock I invest my time in be ultimately used is worth more to me than anything I would get out of the review, and since I don't make these for sale generally there is no particular advertising benefit to me for it. The community can and will continue to get such benefit as it wants or sees in my design ideas through the videos and postings I'll continue to do on them.

In any case, the greatest value to the community in BackPackHiker's effort will be reviews of hammocks that can actually be acquired, and a DIY sub-category would be just a side-line to the main laudable goal.

BackPackHiker
07-16-2012, 11:40
After seeing this posting I proposed to BackPackHiker that I would provide a bridge hammock for review with bi-directional shipping costs covered by me, and an understanding that "things happen" w.r.t wear and tear on the hammock by multiple reviewers. But I'd like the hammock back eventually, because my practice is to place my hammocks with people who use them. I'm willing to take the risk something hammocks to the hammock accidentally.

BackPackHiker respectfully but definitively declined stating he wants no responsibility for the state of the hammock considering that others besides he will use it, and the only way he can be assured of no responsibility is by requiring the submitter give up all rights to the hammock.

I would have made one specifically for this review. Having a hammock I invest my time in be ultimately used is worth more to me than anything I would get out of the review, and since I don't make these for sale generally there is no particular advertising benefit to me for it. The community can and will continue to get such benefit as it wants or sees in my design ideas through the videos and postings I'll continue to do on them.

In any case, the greatest value to the community in BackPackHiker's effort will be reviews of hammocks that can actually be acquired, and a DIY sub-category would be just a side-line to the main laudable goal.

I did appreciate the offer and I will make mention of your design in the review. Thank you for you contribution to the video and you ongoing support.

dblhmmck
07-16-2012, 14:17
I believe that I am in the same boat as the other DIY guys. Like Grizz, I would have been willing to take the risk of damage, but I'd get more value from keeping my hammock than from giving it away for the sake of a review.

I'll be interested in seeing the results of the commercial hammock comparison.

BackPackHiker
07-16-2012, 14:35
I believe that I am in the same boat as the other DIY guys. Like Grizz, I would have been willing to take the risk of damage, but I'd get more value from keeping my hammock than from giving it away for the sake of a review.

I'll be interested in seeing the results of the commercial hammock comparison.

I really am sorry.

The review is still going to be amazing. Stay tuned. I am still awaiting the arrival of the Lawson Hammock and the release of the Warbonnet Bridge Hammock. I will keep the followers posted on my progress. :shades:

fullcount
07-17-2012, 22:38
Seeing I own a JRB BMBH....I am kinda partial, but interested in the results. Thanks for going through the effort.

BackPackHiker
07-23-2012, 09:59
I have recieved a few emails questioning my decision to not review the DIY hammocks and I want to address this issues.

The reason I am not accepting the hammocks from those DIY makers is because they were offering to send me their personal hammocks that they spent a long time perfecting and making. I do not feel comfortable accepting their personal hammock for review as I would not want it to accidently become damaged or lost in transit as I can only imagine the time and effort that was put into creating it. In the same way I would not want to borrow a friend’s car to go camping as I do not want the responsibility or financial burden of repairing their personal property if it were to have any misfortune.

Recently I have received gear for review from another hammock company that had multiple manufacturing defects and failed during the first test in multiple ways. These products were returned to the manufacturer and he issued new products for review. So I am not unwilling to test and return manufactured gear. I want to be clear that the reason for me not accepting the DIY hammocks is because it is their personal gear not a manufactured product. I am aware of the need for manufactures being able to know defects and update them.

Please do not think that I am trying to be a gear hog or something. I am really doing this for the joy of making a quality review. I just appreciate the time and effort that goes into making something and know the dissapointment when that something gets lost or broken.

Fish<><
07-23-2012, 10:47
Well said and sound decision, I respect your choice on that and look forward to the comparisons like everyone else with the commercial hammocks. Heck I might even end up with one after all is said and done. Thank you for your willingness to do this for all of us in hammock land.

Kyle
07-23-2012, 16:01
I, too, respect the decision. This is a great idea and I look forward to the results.

MAD777
07-23-2012, 16:31
Sounds like a sound decision to me! ;)

Loki
08-01-2012, 09:46
I will add the pad test to this review and yes the spreader bars in tarps has been mentioned.

Thanks

Nice idea for a review!

Here's one "Pad in a bridge" thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56201

Lookng forward to your results. Have subscribed to this thread of yours for sure

Montalaskan
08-01-2012, 11:22
I'm new here but I think that your decision is a good one. Looking forward to your reviews!

ghpacific
08-02-2012, 12:42
Nice idea for a review!

Here's one "Pad in a bridge" thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56201

Lookng forward to your results. Have subscribed to this thread of yours for sure

If the BMBH is the only one with a sleeve for a pad, I am going to go with that for sure! Of course, if someone were to offer me any of the others for free, well.......:D

BackPackHiker
08-02-2012, 13:07
If the BMBH is the only one with a sleeve for a pad, I am going to go with that for sure! Of course, if someone were to offer me any of the others for free, well.......:D

The BMBH has a sleeve for a pad yes, but the Eureka has a spot for a pad and I havn't recieved the Warbonnet Bridge but I am sure it will have a spot for a pad we will have to wait and see though

bindibadgi
08-03-2012, 08:02
There's a good chance that the Warbonnet will have options like the Blackbird (i.e. single/double layer, 1.1/1.7oz). If that's the case, then I'm thinking that the double layer will accommodate a pad, but the single layer will not, just like the Blackbird.

Of course, I have no inside information at all, but I think it's a fair guess. Time will tell...

Acer
08-03-2012, 09:38
In the quest to seek out the most comfortable hang possible, the question I have in my mind and seek is the bridge hammock the best comfort available to us? Never having tried one out, awaiting the results of all this testing as I definitely have to try one out. Question is,,which one? Also waiting to see how Warbonnet is going to fair from those that grab one up as soon as it makes the market, and see their postings as to comfortability as well as the cons of any of these on the market. I personally don't mind carrying a extra pound for the comfort as my pack weight is already at a minimum. Let the testing begin to show us some results!!! :boggle:

Mikums
08-05-2012, 19:03
Excited to see the Warbonnet's debut fight as a three-way.

Mikums
08-10-2012, 12:06
Excited to see the Warbonnet's debut fight as a three-way.

I can't count to four (and I forgot the term triple-threat match).

Excited to see Warbonnet's debut fight be a FATAL 4-WAY for the WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

krshome
08-16-2012, 21:51
Is the blue ridge a bridge?

ewhammock
08-17-2012, 06:19
SO looking forward to this review!

Yukon
08-17-2012, 06:33
Looking forward to this review as well, if Brandon would ever release his new bridge hammock!!!!

ewhammock
08-24-2012, 21:31
Tis very released! Let the battle begin!!

ibgary
09-02-2012, 08:39
That sou.ds great. I hope WB can be included. Then ill get my 3rd.

Tuck
09-04-2012, 19:10
Not to sound impatient or pushy, but I'm really interested to see the side-by-side analysis. Especially the 2011 Chrysalis (with BER whoopie mods) vs. the new WB RR.

BackPackHiker
09-06-2012, 08:28
It is coming, I have a lot of work to do on this project along with my other projects. I am thinking of posting the review in sections and than one of the entire project. What do you think?

Fish<><
09-06-2012, 08:40
One review for each, then once your done reviewing them have a final comparison? Sort of like a grand finale at a fireworks show, or a whodunit type of suspense...that's what I'd do.

Miguel
09-06-2012, 08:48
If there is anything you would like to see in this review please post it as I am open for sugestions.

I'd like to see hiking poles being used as spreader bars and how a conventional tarp such as a Big Daddy or something similar works with the Ridgerunner.

I'm VERY interested in the Ridgerunner but the weight of the spreader bars has me hesitating along with the thoughts of buying yet another tarp. Oh yeah....I'd like to see how an infltable mattress works in a single layer.

Thanks, Miguel

Loki
09-06-2012, 09:13
It is coming, I have a lot of work to do on this project along with my other projects. I am thinking of posting the review in sections and than one of the entire project. What do you think?

Like this approach!:thumbup:

Cali
09-06-2012, 09:18
I have the 2011 Chrysalis and would love to know how it compares to the WBRR. :)

RePete
09-06-2012, 09:28
. Oh yeah....I'd like to see how an infltable mattress works in a single layer.

Thanks, Miguel

I love how my brain works. I tent camp with the family and sleep on a 6" thick inflatable mattress. Can you guess where my mind went?

Jnoel2279
09-16-2012, 12:59
ok so when is the review going to start? this is just a tease to me, I'm really excited to see the results. Please start soon!!!

Yukon
09-16-2012, 16:22
ok so when is the review going to start? this is just a tease to me, I'm really excited to see the results. Please start soon!!!

The Ridgerunner won the day it was released, game over...lol

quiet
10-09-2012, 22:14
Not to sound impatient or pushy, but I'm really interested to see the side-by-side analysis. Especially the 2011 Chrysalis (with BER whoopie mods) vs. the new WB RR.

Any timelines yet? I'm also interested in a side by side of the Chrysalis and the Ridgerunner.

Mustardman
10-11-2012, 09:31
So you've got a bunch of free hammocks in your hands - any word on the promised review?

Yukon
10-11-2012, 12:28
So you've got a bunch of free hammocks in your hands - any word on the promised review?

He fell asleep in the new Ridgerunner and hasn't woken in weeks :lol:

Cannibal
10-11-2012, 12:46
He fell asleep in the new Ridgerunner and hasn't woken in weeks :lol:
That certainly seems plausible. :laugh:

spaceweaseal
10-18-2012, 20:46
LoL
And that is all I have to say about this.....

TheHangMan
10-27-2012, 20:51
Any progression on the pending bridge review? Excellent idea by the way! Looking forward to it.

BackPackHiker
10-29-2012, 13:27
I know this is going to sound like an excuse but I was planning to start last weekend. Hurricane Sandy put a damper in my plans, literally. I have run into a few bumps for this review that has postponed it progress.

1) I got the GoPro Hero 2 to use for the reviews. The sound was busted on the camera and I spent the last month sending videos back and forth with GoPro only to have them ask me to send it back for replacement. So I am waiting for the replacement model. I really wanted the sound and video quality of this video to excel.

2) Hurricane Sandy

3) Life is really busy some times, two toddlers, pregnant wife busy schedules with work

So once I get the new camera and make sure it is working I will have some great reviews posted and ready to go. I am just as excited to review the hammocks as you are to see them. Winter reviews are always "cooler" :shades: anyway, in more ways than one.

Sorry for the delay, videos on the way! :thumbup:

CatSplat
10-29-2012, 17:47
I really wanted the sound and video quality of this video to excel.

Will you be using an external mic? The internal one on the GoPro H2 definitely leaves room for improvement.

TheHangMan
10-29-2012, 18:47
No pressure, just letting you know that many of us will appreciate any effort you are able to do. Should be very insightful.

BackPackHiker
10-30-2012, 08:21
Will you be using an external mic? The internal one on the GoPro H2 definitely leaves room for improvement.

Yes I will be using an external mic for this project.

genegene
11-02-2012, 19:26
Can you post a pic of them hanging side by side just so we can see the competitors?

Maverick Gear
11-10-2012, 14:22
what happened to this review>

dejoha
11-10-2012, 14:38
I'm interested in the review!

TDFbound
11-12-2012, 22:17
I'm interested in the review!

This isn't a review, it's simply an experiment to see exactly how whiny hammockers get when they are impatient.

Mustardman
11-12-2012, 22:53
This isn't a review, it's simply an experiment to see exactly how whiny hammockers get when they are impatient.

or to see how many free hammocks a single person can get without ever actually providing the promised review ;)

mrmike65
11-13-2012, 06:48

I would be interested in seeing how they handle a sock! Perhaps something along the lines of a Dirigible.

ghpacific
11-13-2012, 12:25
Lie on your side, pic without sleeping mat

Manufacturer and weight info? Awesome looking bridge hammock! Available in USA?

MAD777
11-13-2012, 13:42

That's about a flat as flat gets!
Nice job!

gmcttr
11-13-2012, 16:42

Hammock or hanging platform/cot...where do we draw the line?

Maverick Gear
11-13-2012, 21:51
Hammock or hanging platform/cot...where do we draw the line?

Hey it's another type of camping product.

A Bridge Hammock, but designed to provide a flatter lie. Std Sleeping bag etc you can easily climb into, no shoulder squeeeze. Use a std mat for warmth, if need be... etc etc

Made In Australia - patent pending

Will get more details

fallkniven
11-13-2012, 22:15
Are those side rails I see on the bottom edge? What did you use?

GrizzlyAdams
11-13-2012, 22:28
not only side rails, but cross-pieces at the short ends to make a frame. Really interesting idea. I'm curious about where the edges of the frame come together, how much of a join is needed there to keep the frame rectangular, rather than trapezoidal :eek:

fallkniven
11-13-2012, 22:35
It would have to be as tight as possible to keep it from sagging as you mentioned. Maybe there's a small hinge that locks to connect the final corner...

ghpacific
11-14-2012, 11:10
meej62, what happened to your original post and images? :scared: Luckily, I saved them , but not sure if there is some issue re-posting them here, perhaps some problem regarding patent pending status? Please post manufacturer info asap. Thanks!

spaceweaseal
11-14-2012, 11:56
What ever happened to the OP's reviews?

Mustardman
11-14-2012, 12:26
meej62, what happened to your original post and images? :scared: Luckily, I saved them , but not sure if there is some issue re-posting them here, perhaps some problem regarding patent pending status? Please post manufacturer info asap. Thanks!

He has been CONSTANTLY posting pictures and descriptions, then deleting them. It's getting to the point where it's really screwed up several conversations, where people start discussing something, then he goes back and removes it and you can't figure out what the heck these people are talking about.

If he keeps pulling this crap, I suggest the mods step in. What point is it having a discussion forum if you can't figure out what's happening in the discussion?

Here's one of the pictures he posted and then deleted:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42185&d=1352800549

spaceweaseal
11-14-2012, 14:04
Well heck this whole thread is confusing.....

raiffnuke
11-14-2012, 14:06
Well heck this whole thread is confusing.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gmcttr
11-14-2012, 16:30
I'm thinking a cot and a bug net would be lighter and provide exactly the same lay.

Now...............what ever happened to the OP's bridge hammock battle?

ibgary
11-14-2012, 18:15
Did I miss the review, what the ell? Is this some kind of Guamanian joke?
Whiny hamocker.

ghpacific
11-15-2012, 11:20
[QUOTE=gmcttr;858902]I'm thinking a cot and a bug net would be lighter and provide exactly the same lay.

I also want to know the weight of the unit. No way am I schlepping around a 10 pound unit that also looks like you can't use it as a hanging seat. I'm re-posting the images I had saved so others can follow this. Cheers.

gmcttr
11-15-2012, 11:56
...I also want to know the weight of the unit...

Probably 2.9kg from this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62479).

BackPackHiker
11-15-2012, 15:44
That looks just like the Eureka Hammock

BackPackHiker
11-15-2012, 15:47
I know everyone is getting frustrated but please be patient. The review is coming. I am just waiting on a few things to come in and I will start. Please be patient. I know I said late in the fall but it will probably be more like early spring now.

I am going to provided the requested pictures of the hammocks side by side. I think when I have the actual review complete I might start a new thread for it so it isn't so confusing.

Do not worry, good things come to those who wait. :D

bruinfan
11-15-2012, 16:39
good luck.

have safe. be fun.

Sambeaux
11-15-2012, 19:03
If anyone wants me to test free gear and review it please pm me.. Sounds like a sweet gig.

fallkniven
11-15-2012, 19:34
If anyone wants me to test free gear and review it please pm me.. Sounds like a sweet gig.

Ha! I know right. Sign me up please!

Yukon
11-16-2012, 07:18

:lol::lol:

Add me to the list!!

dejoha
11-16-2012, 09:01
If you want to test free gear, please sign up with www.backpackgeartest.org. We are always looking for testers and we often have more gear than people to test. PM me if you want to know more. Once you complete a test, you keep the gear. It's is how I keep my own gear closet stocked and it has led to opportunities to test gear from other manufacturers like black diamond, gossamer gear, and others.

fishbait
11-16-2012, 10:31
If you want to test free gear, please sign up with www.backpackgeartest.org. We are always looking for testers and we often have more gear than people to test. PM me if you want to know more. Once you complete a test, you keep the gear. It's is how I keep my own gear closet stocked and it has led to opportunities to test gear from other manufacturers like black diamond, gossamer gear, and others.

Signed up. Thanks for the info dejoha

Loki
11-16-2012, 11:03

Signed up. Thanks Dejoha!

raiffnuke
11-16-2012, 11:06

Signed up! Thanks again Dejoha!

ghpacific
11-16-2012, 11:37
Probably 2.9kg from this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62479).

Wow, that's 6.4 lbs! This really needs some weight reduction strategy. That doesn't even include the tarp! Maybe there's some way to attach wheels to it and travois it behind! :laugh:

Kyle
11-16-2012, 14:07

I'll definitely look into that when I think I might have enough experience, but holy cow, thanks for the link anyway. The reviews there are incredibly in-depth and thorough. Awesome resource!

Montalaskan
11-17-2012, 10:57

I use BBGT reviews all the time. Didn't realize I could volunteer. At the very least, I'll be submitting some owner reviews!

dejoha
11-17-2012, 15:46
For all you who signed up for BackpackGearTest, please indicate that I sent you. I get some brownie points if you do :)

ibgary
11-17-2012, 17:22

1+. Next summer I'm doing a long river trip, 30-60 days. I have the kayak, but any other gear ill be happy to test.

spaceweaseal
11-17-2012, 22:43
So is this still about the bridge hammock battle, or did I click on the wrong post?
Come on mods when will this end?

ibgary
11-17-2012, 22:54
If the bridge hammock battle ever happens please post it as a new thread. I'm done with this one.

BackPackHiker
11-20-2012, 21:54
If the bridge hammock battle ever happens please post it as a new thread. I'm done with this one.

I am planning to post the review in a new thread. Please disregard this thread in regards to the bridge hammock battle.

Dudorino
11-20-2012, 21:58
Maybe the mods should close this thread. It's a mess. :)

dirtwheels
11-21-2012, 15:36
It seems there's been a peace deal and the battle is over before it started.

All I want for Christmas is hammock peace...:D

Peter_pan
11-21-2012, 15:47
BTW, for those of you visiting BGT, or re-visiting as the case may be, know that there have been test reports on the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock, Mt Washington UQ and tarps for several years.

Pan

FreeRange
11-23-2012, 08:56
BTW, for those of you visiting BGT, or re-visiting as the case may be, know that there have been test reports on the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock, Mt Washington UQ and tarps for several years.

Pan

Pan,
Can you point me to the better reports?

Free Range

Peter_pan
11-23-2012, 11:00
Pan,
Can you point me to the better reports?

Free Range

Free Range,

here is the hammock start.... move around the BGT site for quilts and tarps...http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/

Pan

DrTom
11-25-2012, 08:54

Lawson Blue Ridge
Eureka Chrysalis

Very interested in the comparison.
I didn't know about Lawson Blue Ridge or Eureka Chrysalis, and will have to check their sites. Jacks are Better doesn't make a bridge hammock large enough for a 6'6" guy. Hopefully, these other two companies might have something that works.

Yukon
11-25-2012, 09:51
Very interested in the comparison.
I didn't know about Lawson Blue Ridge or Eureka Chrysalis, and will have to check their sites. Jacks are Better doesn't make a bridge hammock large enough for a 6'6" guy. Hopefully, these other two companies might have something that works.

Check out the Warbonnet Ridgerunner DrTom, it will fit you great. I'm 6'-6" as well and it's what I use...

Maverick Gear
03-29-2013, 00:53
Did this review ever happen?

Picaro
03-29-2013, 14:37
Theres a lot of water gone under these bridges. :rolleyes:

Some have said, "Hey, whats that on my leg ? I think he's gonna tell us its raining." :lol:

fallkniven
03-29-2013, 14:53
Did this review ever happen?

No it didn't, nor do I think it ever will.

Junebugdawn
03-29-2013, 16:24
He said a few pages back that it will probably be early spring and to please be patient. He also said he would start a new thread for the review.

ibgary
03-31-2013, 10:15
He said a few pages back that it will probably be early spring and to please be patient. He also said he would start a new thread for the review.

Like the vulture said, "Patience my ***, I'm going to kill something".

spaceweaseal
04-01-2013, 07:28
Here we go again....

BackPackHiker
04-01-2013, 08:05
IT IS COMING!:shades:

Here is my update,

So I had the GoPro hero2 for this review and it failed it took me a month to get it sorted out and it still didn't work. Sold it on Kijiji (explained details to buyer didn't rip him off) and waited for the new GoPro Hero 3. Got it in February and it continues to freeze, I went out to do a review and I couldn't record for more than 30 seconds without having to take the camera apart and remove the batteries. I am looking into getting the Nikon D3200 DSLR camera to continue the reviews. I am planning to have this one done this Spring. I know a lot of people seem to be angry at me over this but please wait, it will come in good time. I am just having a lot of technical issues with the equipment. I want to make it good quality.

Thanks

ewhammock
04-10-2013, 01:14
IT IS COMING!:shades:

Here is my update,

So I had the GoPro hero2 for this review and it failed it took me a month to get it sorted out and it still didn't work. Sold it on Kijiji (explained details to buyer didn't rip him off) and waited for the new GoPro Hero 3. Got it in February and it continues to freeze, I went out to do a review and I couldn't record for more than 30 seconds without having to take the camera apart and remove the batteries. I am looking into getting the Nikon D3200 DSLR camera to continue the reviews. I am planning to have this one done this Spring. I know a lot of people seem to be angry at me over this but please wait, it will come in good time. I am just having a lot of technical issues with the equipment. I want to make it good quality.

Thanks

I use GoPros for all sorts of filming. Any issue whatsoever - their in-person support is great. You can just call them. I have the Hero 3 and it works like a charm - after a quick call to address one bug. Sounds odd that you can't get one of two GoPros to do the job - especially given the Hero 3 just came out. What did you do - send it back?

Mustardman
04-10-2013, 11:44
the only thing I see coming is another year worth of excuses.

Acer
04-10-2013, 11:58
Is there even a bridge hammock battle going on? :tongueup:

ukarcher
04-11-2013, 05:59
Give the guy a break. I don't see you all rushing out to make helpful, and informative videos for even one hammock. BPH is trying to review a whole bunch of them. He has even asked you what particular features you want to see.

Trying to compare all the different features, deciding which tarps/u.quilts/pads etc. to use, to get an unbiased result, has got to be giving him the mother and father of headaches.

Now, throw in the problems of filming/editing/weather/family/job, and all this while he's wading through the legal minefield of liability. Its a mammoth task he's set himself, so stop giving him all this petulant negativity, and let him do it in his own time.

...end of rant !

Granger
04-11-2013, 06:35
Give the guy a break. I don't see you all rushing out to make helpful, and informative videos for even one hammock. BPH is trying to review a whole bunch of them. He has even asked you what particular features you want to see.

Trying to compare all the different features, deciding which tarps/u.quilts/pads etc. to use, to get an unbiased result, has got to be giving him the mother and father of headaches.

Now, throw in the problems of filming/editing/weather/family/job, and all this while he's wading through the legal minefield of liability. Its a mammoth task he's set himself, so stop giving him all this petulant negative s**t, and let him do it in his own time.

...end of rant !

+1 for me!

cfi on the fly
04-11-2013, 06:46
At this point Im not sure its even worth your time and apparent struggles. There is plenty info out there to get a good feel as to what these hammocks bring to the table and compare them. But I guess more info and perspectives are always nice.

Curmudgeon
04-11-2013, 06:50
Well I just read through this whole thread, and I have to say I'm still interested in the results. :lol:

I can certainly understand having technical difficulties - I've been there. Would it perhaps be easier to borrow some gear from a friend? You usually can't throw a stone too far without hitting someone with a nice video camera or dslr.

Yukon
04-11-2013, 06:53
At this point Im not sure its even worth your time and apparent struggles. There is plenty info out there to get a good feel as to what these hammocks bring to the table and compare them. But I guess more info and perspectives are always nice.

Agreed, wouldn't be worth it now. I don't know what he could cover that hasn't been discussed here already...

Mustardman
04-11-2013, 11:50
Agreed, wouldn't be worth it now. I don't know what he could cover that hasn't been discussed here already...

He received free gear on the promise of a comprehensive review. Backing out now would pretty much confirm the prevalent suspicion that he is potentially taking advantage of the kindness of our cottage manufacturers.

Yukon
04-11-2013, 12:00
He received free gear on the promise of a comprehensive review. Backing out now would pretty much confirm the prevalent suspicion that he is potentially taking advantage of the kindness of our cottage manufacturers.

I don't think it was ever his intent to take advantage of anyone, I just think too much time has passed to make the review worthwhile. The hammocks should just be sent back and this review forgotten...

dakotaross
04-11-2013, 12:06
It will be good to have a comprehensive review of the bridges, much like Edmunds reviews all sedans together, etc, which work along with the individual car reviews to give the potential buyer more perspective.

But for cryin' out loud, if I lived in Ontario, I wouldn't have done the reviews by now either. I wouldn't be ready to leave the igloo for another month!

dirtwheels
04-11-2013, 12:12
I don't think it's been stated what the destination of the gear is to be after the test. We've all had good intentions and either failed or experienced delays and setbacks, well maybe not the rest of you but I have.

Hopefully the review goes forward, admittedly it will be after significant discussion has transpired, but I'll watch a couple of the reviews regardless if they materialize.

Who knows, this equipment may show up and group hangs in a raffle or some other display of good citizenship.

sturgeon
04-11-2013, 16:27
But for cryin' out loud, if I lived in Ontario, I wouldn't have done the reviews by now either. I wouldn't be ready to leave the igloo for another month!

and it snowed today in Toronto...:(

where the reviewer lives they usually get much more snow than Toronto, so he's probably adding another level to his igloo :laugh:

fallkniven
04-11-2013, 17:31
I don't see you all rushing out to make helpful, and informative videos for even one hammock.

We also didn't receive free hammocks costing hundreds each. I thought the main reason for the review was to see how they compared to each other with the release of Warbonnets new bridge. But so much time has passed, and so many reviews have been made, that it just seems moot at this point.

bob2guns
04-11-2013, 17:35
a little too late anyway....everybody with half a brain knos about the RR by

now..and the BMBH is ancient history.. i found out the hard way , soon as i

tried the BMBH i knew it wasn't gonna fly.. reviews didn't do any good for me..

i think you just got to do it for yourself.

Chammocks
04-12-2013, 06:27
I want to jump on the BMBH defense team! I love mines.

WV
04-12-2013, 06:40
Will one of those guys with only half a brain sell me their BMBH really cheap? :laugh:

bob2guns
04-14-2013, 12:49
too late WV,

had 2 of them ( one was the famous mule bridge )

i see some RR's for sale here , so that tells me that it wasn't up to their expectations either.

only advice i saw that was accurate was you either like bridges , or not like them.

Cali
04-14-2013, 16:08
I didn't like bridges until I tried the WBRR, and now I am a bridge lover. :wuv: :wuv:

breyman
04-14-2013, 16:21
I didn't like bridges until I tried the WBRR, and now I am a bridge lover. :wuv: :wuv:

Ditto. I still like my gathered end hammocks quite a bit for a number of reasons. But the WBRR - wow!

Mustardman
04-15-2013, 07:16
only advice i saw that was accurate was you either like bridges , or not like them.

I dunno about that... I absolutely hated the BMBH, but love my two WBRR's. The only significant downside to a bridge, for me, is the extra space needed between trees. Just because someone puts a WBRR up for sale doesn't mean they didn't like the hammock - it could just not fit that person's needs as well as another hammock.

Peter_pan
04-15-2013, 08:07
Actually th JRB BMBH does not require any more distance between the trees than most gathered end hammocks.

Pan

Mustardman
04-15-2013, 08:40
Ok, let me clarify then - the only significant downside to a bridge that isn't ridiculously uncomfortable, claustrophobic, and utterly useless for my needs is that it requires more space between the trees.

The compromises the BMBH makes to make it fit in the same spaces a gathered end hammock can fit into are the compromises that make it one of my least favorite hammocks I've ever tried.

cfi on the fly
04-15-2013, 08:50
Actually th JRB BMBH does not require any more distance between the trees than most gathered end hammocks.

Pan

Yes that is a huge plus for a BMBH and Ive had both the RR and BMBH to compare.

cfi on the fly
04-15-2013, 08:53
Ok, let me clarify then - the only significant downside to a bridge that isn't ridiculously uncomfortable, claustrophobic, and utterly useless for my needs is that it requires more space between the trees.

The compromises the BMBH makes to make it fit in the same spaces a gathered end hammock can fit into are the compromises that make it one of my least favorite hammocks I've ever tried.

Ive compared both directly and that wasnt my experience at all. I found the WBRR more comfortable all around, but not dramatically so. Also the distance the RR requires between trees has been more problamatic in places I hike than I woukd have ever imagined. The relative smaller tree distance of the BMBH makes up for alot. Different strokes.....

Loki
04-15-2013, 09:15
I own both the JRB Bridge deluxe and the WB RidgeRunner. I've spent more than a handful of nights in each. For my needs they each have unique features and they are both more comfortable than any of the (only a few) gathered end hammocks I've tried. I'll be keeping both my JRB bridge and my WB bridge... well, unless the future holds some as yet unimaginable new feature or upgrade to bridge hammocks.

HYOH!

Yukon
04-15-2013, 09:46
I keep hearing about this tree distance issue with the WBRR, but when I had mine I never once had a single issue finding a spot to hang it. I mean, it's not that much longer than other hammocks.

alpineLounger
04-15-2013, 11:01
I want to jump on the BMBH defense team! I love mines.

I bought a HH in 2004. Got turned off by the fickleness of the stock setup. Didn't return to a hammock until I tried a BMBH, then RAN out and bought one. I love my BMBH. I have to say hands down my best gear purchase in 10 years.

bob2guns
04-15-2013, 23:14
hate to say it ...well, maybe not...but looks like the big battle review is already over..

all you do is buy one from every gear maker, try it out , and you kno what you want... or not

even if i liked a bridge, the tree distance dilemma aside, the spreader poles would be the deal breaker

Ratdog
04-17-2013, 15:48
I can't believe I emailed this link to my br-in-law who is interested in a bridge hammock.
Having just read all the way through this thread...argh, is the only thought that comes to mind.

My bro is 6' 4" 350 and I'm wondering if any bridge will do. Had a chance to check out fallkniven's bridge at the NJ winter hang but it was in that warm tent thing w/ the wood stove so didn't get the best look. Which bridge was that btw?

fallkniven
04-17-2013, 20:01
I can't believe I emailed this link to my br-in-law who is interested in a bridge hammock.
Having just read all the way through this thread...argh, is the only thought that comes to mind.

My bro is 6' 4" 350 and I'm wondering if any bridge will do. Had a chance to check out fallkniven's bridge at the NJ winter hang but it was in that warm tent thing w/ the wood stove so didn't get the best look. Which bridge was that btw?

The deluxe model.

Taliesin96
06-02-2013, 06:40

Now, throw in the problems of filming/editing/weather/family/job, and all this while he's wading through the legal minefield of liability. Its a mammoth task he's set himself, so stop giving him all this petulant negativity, and let him do it in his own time.

...end of rant !

i disagree with you look right in his posts he has a link how to get gear for free and sells a ebook for 5.00 tell you most likely how to email and offer reviews and such

give me a break just 0.02

fallkniven
06-02-2013, 07:12
Mods, you might as well just close this useless thread....

Ratdog
06-02-2013, 07:31
+1

And maybe mark it as a warning to others about rippin free gear

bob2guns
06-19-2013, 20:35
i disagree with you look right in his posts he has a link how to get gear for free and sells a ebook for 5.00 tell you most likely how to email and offer reviews and such

give me a break just 0.02

i never got into this enough to look deeper... but theres a smart guy in Ontario called Taliesin96 ...hit the nail right on the head, eh....

heres what bph says: " I develop some strategies to get the gear I wanted for free, and they worked! Now I have thousands of dollars of free gear. "

its all right there...

Jason Andrews
06-20-2013, 03:55
@BackPackHiker,
I'm in contact with a brand new manufacturer (Mavrick Gear - Australia) that could be interested in featuring his bridge end hammock. Hit me up on PM for details.

Here's a sneak preview of it set up with a Handy Hammock stand :)

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/images/uploads/gallery_images/Mavrick_plus_Handy_Hammock_Stand.jpg

It has been designed to offer a number of improvements on similar designs so I think you really should try to get hold of one. It's engineered to be super flat, wide and spacious (so I'm told) much more like a bed than a hammock really. I'm going to get my hands on one shortly too :)

Jason Andrews
06-20-2013, 03:59
Oops, just re-read the thread... Oh well, this looks like a great hammock none-the-less. I will post a review in due course.

Cranky Bear
06-20-2013, 08:11
Check out these links:

http://www.campinghammockreviews.com/2013/04/03/eureka-chysalis/
http://www.campinghammockreviews.com/2013/01/31/lawson-blue-ridge-hammock/
http://www.campinghammockreviews.com/2013/01/31/jacks-are-better-bear-mountain-bridge-hammock/
http://www.campinghammockreviews.com/2013/01/31/dd-travel-hammock-2011-model/

BackPackHiker
06-21-2013, 10:33
Hello Hammock forum members.

I wanted to apologize for the delay in making this video. Like most members I am an amateur reviewer and have a full time career and a family that I am taking care of on top of the hobby of reviewing products. I do all of these reviews for fun and enjoy making them.

I hope that the members who made negative comments will be satisfied with the review that I made and that I did not leave a negative impression of what I am about. In the future if you are not satisfied with my post please PM me and we can talk about it. I can see where the negative comments are coming from and I hope that you will be more forgiving as the videos come along. I wanted to test out these hammocks a couple of times before posting the review. Like Yoda posted I do have some individual reviews on my website that I have posted during the wait.

Thank you for your patients and enjoy the videos.

BackPackHiker
06-21-2013, 10:49
Again thank you all for your patients in waiting for this video review and I hope you enjoy it. The following two videos will be posted over the weekend.

Rpt-FU5EPyk

Ejimo
06-21-2013, 13:16
Excellent. Can't wait for the following videos. Thanks BPH!

BackPackHiker
06-23-2013, 17:14
Here is part 2 of the Bridge Hammock Battle

4Fs2tpQfv68

ibgary
06-24-2013, 07:40
Thanks. It has been a long time in coming, but you are doing a nice job.

I know the Lawson Blue Ridge isn't a bridge hammock, but many of its properties are closer to bridge then gathered end. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

BackPackHiker
06-24-2013, 08:19
Here is the third part of the bridge hammock battle

X2pMVs_4IvY

BackPackHiker
06-24-2013, 08:21
Thanks. It has been a long time in coming, but you are doing a nice job.

I know the Lawson Blue Ridge isn't a bridge hammock, but many of its properties are closer to bridge then gathered end. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Hey ibgary,

Here is my review of the Lawson Blue Ridge hammock. Let me know if you have any questions about it and I would be happy to let you know what I think of it.

ef9ipRy83ac

sturgeon
06-24-2013, 09:14
Thanks for the reviews. As a jrb bmbh and wbrr owner, i was interested to see your perspective.
I agree the bmbh is probably warmer in winter because of the higher sides giving a more enclosed feeling and bringing the quilt up around your sides. Removing the centre piece of the wbrr top spreader bar gives a similar feeling.
I think the differences in inserting the pad is a non-issue...5-10 seconds and you're done, regardless of the hammock.
Hoping to try the eureka chrysalis someday. There is a thread somewhere on the forum about how to reduce that 4 lb weight to something more manageable.

Thanks again.

One quibble: you state the weight of the warbonnet as 25 ounces, making it seem much lighter than the others. That weight does not include the bars, which are almost 10 ounces, bringing it closer to the bmbh weight.

Btw nice hanging spot!

BackPackHiker
06-24-2013, 10:07
Thanks for the reviews. As a jrb bmbh and wbrr owner, i was interested to see your perspective.
I agree the bmbh is probably warmer in winter because of the higher sides giving a more enclosed feeling and bringing the quilt up around your sides. Removing the centre piece of the wbrr top spreader bar gives a similar feeling.
I think the differences in inserting the pad is a non-issue...5-10 seconds and you're done, regardless of the hammock.
Hoping to try the eureka chrysalis someday. There is a thread somewhere on the forum about how to reduce that 4 lb weight to something more manageable.

Thanks again.

One quibble: you state the weight of the warbonnet as 25 ounces, making it seem much lighter than the others. That weight does not include the bars, which are almost 10 ounces, bringing it closer to the bmbh weight.

Btw nice hanging spot!

Hey Sturgeon,

Thanks for the feedback. If I can ever get the chance to make it out to one of the GTA group hangs I can bring the Eureka Chrysalis for you to use if you want.

sturgeon
06-24-2013, 22:20
Thanks. Might take you up on that.

Anyone else reading this...go back one page and watch BackPackHiker's 4 video reviews of bridge style hammocks. Good info there.

ibgary
06-24-2013, 22:39
Thanks for putting the Lawson up. Very through. The only thing I will add is, the Arrowhead Equipment 3/4 length UQ, goes on like it was made for it.
I'll check your site for other reviews. :):beer:

BackPackHiker
06-28-2013, 12:05
Just a note:

Review starts on page 20

Kyle
06-28-2013, 20:20
I think most people have written this thread off. I'd bet a new one would get you more interest.

BackPackHiker
06-29-2013, 15:28
Thanks Kyle, I will re-post