PDA

View Full Version : Ontario EGL Hang - Bon Echo Provincial Park - August 24th-26th 2012

BrianWillan
07-11-2012, 13:39
Greetings Everyone

It seems that there was enough interest among the Ontario Hangers to do a group trip.

I have booked a site on the Abes and Essens Lake Trail at Bon Echo Provincial Park for the dates listed above. The site will hold 6 people. Beyond that another site will need to be booked. Currently the adjacent site on Abes Lake to the one that I've booked is available. Refer to the original thread for this outing.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55213

As it stands now, here is who is expressed interest at this point.

BrianWillan
Wolvaroo + 1 ( or +2 tentatively)
Surreal_trip (maybe).

If you are attending this outing, please post in this thread and subscribe to it for updates.

Cheers

Brian

BrianWillan
07-11-2012, 14:11
BackPackHiker has said that he can't attend this particular hang.

Chenvre
07-11-2012, 19:46
It's too early to give an answer now as we are moving in August, but I wanted to post expressing interest! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Kasuko
07-12-2012, 10:28
I'd love to but unfortunately I am already in New York for that weekend. Best of luck!

BrianWillan
07-12-2012, 10:36
It's too early to give an answer now as we are moving in August, but I wanted to post expressing interest! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Cool beans.

It's a always a great time to get out and meet other local area hangers.

I hope you can make.

Cheers

Brian

Jayson
07-12-2012, 12:34
Have fun...we will be in Algonquin that weekend.

BrianWillan
07-12-2012, 17:53
I'd love to but unfortunately I am already in New York for that weekend. Best of luck!

Have fun...we will be in Algonquin that weekend.

Enjoy both of your trips.

Cheers

Brian

Wolvaroo
07-13-2012, 19:54
My friend can't afford to take time off so it's just the two of us.

We may be able to carpool one person from toronto.

BrianWillan
07-14-2012, 08:56
My friend can't afford to take time off so it's just the two of us.

We may be able to carpool one person from toronto.

Thanks for the update Wolvaroo

Here is the current list of attendees.

BrianWillan
Wolvaroo + 1
Surreal_trip (maybe)

Cheers

Brian

Bunk
07-14-2012, 14:32
I will go over my work schedule...I've already been on enough canoe trips this year to PO my gf (lol) but I will think about it.

BrianWillan
07-14-2012, 17:20
I will go over my work schedule...I've already been on enough canoe trips this year to PO my gf (lol) but I will think about it.

Bring the girlfriend along. As it stands now there will be at least 1 other woman attending. With this being a backpacking trip, you are limited by what you can carry and won't have the additional burden of canoe gear to portage to the next lake. At least that is my take on it.

Cheers

Brian

Wolvaroo
07-15-2012, 03:51
more people with you means splitting the gear load =D

Bunk
07-16-2012, 09:44
Sounds good, I'll run it by her.

Bubba
07-18-2012, 22:41
Unfortunately I can't make this one.

I just got back from this trail today. I was visiting my in-laws and managed to sneak away for couple of nights on Abes lake site 529. I took the trail to the west up to Abes and the trail to the east on my back. The top of the loop is narrow and not well traveled. Thanks to a fallen trail marker I had to do some unplanned bushwacking.

For those that have not been on it, I have to say that overall the trail is moderately challenging (made more difficult for me by the humidity and the freaking bugs.) There's a bit of everything on this trail. Small rocks and roots, boulders, thicker fern covered areas, blueberry patches etc. There is no large changes in elevation but there certainly are frequent changes.

You probably have already thought it through but I think going up to Abes via the east side trail and avoiding the top of the loop would be good. The first part is flatter and more scenic compared to the start of the west side trail and there is nothing to see at the top but old muddy beaver ponds.

Hope you all have a good time.

vgnbkr
07-19-2012, 03:50
Sounds fun, but I'll be back packing in Pukaskwa.

Have fun, and I hope the bugs are better than they were in Ganaraska last weekend.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

BrianWillan
07-19-2012, 10:33
Unfortunately I can't make this one.

You probably have already thought it through but I think going up to Abes via the east side trail and avoiding the top of the loop would be good. The first part is flatter and more scenic compared to the start of the west side trail and there is nothing to see at the top but old muddy beaver ponds.

Hope you all have a good time.

Thanks for the info, Bubba. The plan I had was to hike the west side of the first 2 loops and the cross over and do the east side of the 3rd loop to Abes Lake. It's shorter distance wise. It's good to hear that skipping the top section of the loop is no big loss scenery wise.

I certainly hope the bugs die down by the time this hang rolls around. I could also due with less humidity. However in keeping with past group hangs in Ontario, our tarps will get a good water test. ;)

Sounds fun, but I'll be back packing in Pukaskwa.

Have fun, and I hope the bugs are better than they were in Ganaraska last weekend.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Have fun on your trip. I also hope the bugs are non existent on this trip too. ;)

Cheers

Brian

BrianWillan
07-20-2012, 20:52
Greetings everyone

Anyone else planning on coming to our hike and hang?

Here is the confirmed and interested list.

Confirmed
BrianWillan
Wolvaroo + 1

Interested
Surreal_trip
Chenvre
Bunk + 1

Just a reminder that there is a limit of 6 people per site and there is only 1 site booked at this time.

Cheers

Brian

Lofty
07-22-2012, 09:31
go figure - It's my wives birthday that weekend and I already made plans to go to a Rib cook off on Saturday.

I would love to make it out to one of these group hangs --
Eventually I'll make it to meet some of the GAT hangers.

Wolvaroo
07-23-2012, 03:42
A friend of mine who is a recent immigrant to Canada from Holland expressed interest in going out camping with me. Him and his girlfriend don't have much camping/hiking experience or equipment (let alone hammocks) but I extended a tentative invite if we're under or over the 6 person limit by the time it's set in stone.

surreal_trip
07-23-2012, 07:58
I won't be able to make it... With a 4 day already planned and a baby soon on the way my wife threatened hell and plagues if I go. I'll scout out my usual area for any good group hanger areas!

BrianWillan
07-23-2012, 10:20
A friend of mine who is a recent immigrant to Canada from Holland expressed interest in going out camping with me. Him and his girlfriend don't have much camping/hiking experience or equipment (let alone hammocks) but I extended a tentative invite if we're under or over the 6 person limit by the time it's set in stone.

That is good to hear Woolvaro. At the moment there are only 3 in the confirmed category so 2 more will fit in easily.

So here is the current list of confirmed and interested.

Confirmed
BrianWillan
Wolvaroo + 1

Interested
Surreal_trip (not going now)
Chenvre
Bunk + 1
Wolvaroo friends (2 of them)

BrianWillan
07-23-2012, 10:37
I won't be able to make it... With a 4 day already planned and a baby soon on the way my wife threatened hell and plagues if I go. I'll scout out my usual area for any good group hanger areas!

Wise move on your part, surreal_trip. There will be other hangs come the fall and winter seasons.

Have fun on your trip and lets hope that area is group hang friendly.

Cheers

Brian

Wolvaroo
07-25-2012, 22:04
Two friends are confirmed. They are still debating the idea of borrowing hammocks but I think they'll probably take the tent.

BrianWillan
07-26-2012, 10:47
Two friends are confirmed. They are still debating the idea of borrowing hammocks but I think they'll probably take the tent.

That's great Wolvaroo. Looks like the one site has filled up nicely.

Here is the updated list of confirmed and interested people.

Confirmed
BrianWillan
Wolvaroo + 3

Interested
Chenvre
Bunk + 1

That makes 5 at this point with a limit of 6 on the one site. If anyone else is attending at this point, they should book another site on the trail. Hopefully the adjacent site is still available at this point.

If anyone is going to book another site, please PM me and I will give you the site I booked and the number of the adjacent site.

Cheers

Brian

Wolvaroo
07-29-2012, 10:14
Something came up with the two friends and they can't make it anymore. So back to just the two of us.

he apologizes for any inconvenience.

BrianWillan
07-29-2012, 10:31
Something came up with the two friends and they can't make it anymore. So back to just the two of us.

he apologizes for any inconvenience.

No issues, Wolvaroo. It's good that there is still a good amount of time before the hang.

Here is the updated list of confirmed and interested people.

Confirmed
BrianWillan
Wolvaroo + 1

Interested
Chenvre
Bunk + 1

There are still a few spots left on this one site. So if any of the newer hangers want to attend a group event this is your chance. The same goes for other area hangers that haven't been to a group event either.

Cheers

Brian

BrianWillan
08-07-2012, 11:05
With 2.5 weeks until this hang, I thought I would give this thread a bump to the top to see if there is anymore interest.

Cheers

Brian

Wolvaroo
08-18-2012, 01:28
Looks like just us 3 unfortunately. It's a shame after all the hubub about everyone wanting to take a trip in August, they all ended up divided on their own.

My fiancee and I are still in it rain or shine. We still have a seat or two to carpool someone out of Toronto if there are any last moment attendees. Unless you wanted to carpool Brian, either us with you or vice-versa.

BrianWillan
08-18-2012, 09:34
Looks like just us 3 unfortunately. It's a shame after all the hubub about everyone wanting to take a trip in August, they all ended up divided on their own.

I don't think lack of interest was the problem. It seemed the date I picked wasn't good for many that would have otherwise joined in.

We will have fun no matter what.

Cheers

Brian

Chenvre
08-18-2012, 12:19
Looks like my move is going to coincide with this particular trip. Best of luck to those who are going, make sure to take pics for the rest who couldn't make it that weekend!

Ill be keeping my eyes peeled for a fall get together.

I am curious if our brethren to the south ever come join us on these outings?

BrianWillan
08-18-2012, 13:58
I am curious if our brethren to the south ever come join us on these outings?

At a winter hang this past January, I recall we had a lone hanger from New Jersey make the drive up. So it does happen on occasion. Some of the Ontario hangers also head south to some of the larger group hangs (Spring MAHHA comes to mind).

I hope your move goes well.

Cheers

Brian