PDA

View Full Version : hh in the cold

fred1diver
09-09-2008, 19:50
Hi everyone, quick question...
what is the coldest you slept in your hh?
and what system did you use?
never had the chance to try it in winter yet, it's coming and I want to be ready for it.
though of the ss, but I find it a bit pricey and the reviews are a bit shaky.

I already have a foam pad w wings for it, wondering what else I might need
thanks in advance
FRED

Cannibal
09-09-2008, 19:56
I got to the mid 30s in my HH. I used an SPE 8-wing with Walmart blue pads and an old Coleman sleeping bag (quilt style) and was fine.

slowhike
09-09-2008, 20:08
I got to the mid 30s in my HH. I used an SPE 8-wing with Walmart blue pads and an old Coleman sleeping bag (quilt style) and was fine.

Your Warbonnet is pretty similar to a HH isn't it?
I was thinking you used it in colder weather than that.

Cannibal
09-09-2008, 20:13
The Warbonnet has seen sub zero temps, but never got colder than I think 36 degrees in my HH. Might have to take it out for old times this winter just to play.

Mule
09-09-2008, 20:46
Took mine below freezing in Red River Gorge using the Super Shelter and HH weather cover over the top. Mule

jaiden
09-09-2008, 21:36
0 degrees F. not much wind.

JRB RMS top quilt, two oware pads (one doubled up for triple thickness behind my back) and a .5" insulmat pad. around 1" total pad behind my back. All my clothes I was comfortable in at 30F. I slept fine, but was not "warm"

Javaman
09-09-2008, 21:38
Have taken my HH with SS and emergency blanket to about 30 degrees F. Used a 15 degree 800 fill down bag and poly pro long underwear. :sleep:

Smee
09-09-2008, 22:17
Been in the mid 20s with a JRB Nest under quilt and an Old Rag Mountain Top quilt. Slept in light weight fleece long johns with fleece balaclava. Had to take my socks off 'cause it got too warm.

Regards,

FanaticFringer
09-09-2008, 22:26
Been down to 10 degrees F in a Hyperlite. Used 3 pads for a total of 1 3/8" thickness.
Top insulation: JRB NS, fleece throw, 4-5 layers each top and bottom, gloves, balaclava, skull cap. Stayed warm. I can tell you it can be a pain with that set-up in a bottom loader getting all that in and out of the slit.

Just Jeff
09-09-2008, 23:20
Mid-20s with JRB Nest and 1/2" pad on bottom, JRB NS on top, wearing lightweight polypro's and laid a thin insulated jacket over my torso inside the quilt.

It was Yosemite so very dry...all that synthetic made a heckuva light show underneath the quilt when I moved.

Peter_pan
09-10-2008, 02:54
low teens with a jrb four season set.....patagonia mid weight base bottom and top, wool socks and a fleece balaclava....toasty, slept till 0900, missed breakfast.

pan

Hector
09-10-2008, 08:15
In the HH, I've been in the upper 30°s on a very windy November night near Lake Ouachita. Warm in a Big Agnes Mystic long left zip with full-length Ridgerest CCF pad. Didn't want to get out in the morning!

Fiddleback
09-10-2008, 08:43
Three-eighths inch Oware pad, base layer, socks & booties, balaclava, fleece glove liners, insulated pants, and insulated jacket w/hood => 24 - 26°, no wind. In a subsequent backyard experiment at 22° with basically the same configuration I felt cold coming through the pad after about three hours.

FB

HappyCamper
09-10-2008, 20:34
Hi everyone, quick question...
what is the coldest you slept in your hh?
FRED

Can't say I actually slept well, but I used 3-season quilts to 18 degrees in HH this past winter and supplemented with lots of clothes. It was a scout winter campout. Had WM Summerlite used open like quilt. Wallyworld blue egg crate pad. Then the JRB No Sniv underneath. Wore long johns, down jacket and ski pants, hat, gloves, heavy socks. My feet did get cold and I put heat packs in socks. That helped.

That was the night that I decided I didn't want to use HH in winter. I did not deal well with pad and all that with bottom entry. Ended up putting on zipper mods and now will use HH this winter.

toddkmiller
09-11-2008, 13:44
Myself and 2 other guys spent a night in -25 Celsius with a HH and a SS with additional space blanket. We were using armed forces issue down sleeping bags (inner and outer bags). I had on polypro undies, wool socks and a fleece cap. Nice and toasty. Our boys actuall slept on the ground with a tarp shelter and the down bags. Coldest I have ever slept outside. Keep in mind that it would be -13 degrees F.

headchange4u
09-11-2008, 15:43
I've been down to about 18*F with my JRB quilts doubled up on the bottom (3-3.5" total loft).

fred1diver
09-12-2008, 07:00
thank you all for the great info, still not sure about the ss
down to -25°c is about what I'm looking for!
so one last question, ss or uq?
the sleeping bag issue is a no brainer sine I have a -20°c bag + overbag.
is't just the bottom I'm worried about.
thanks in advance
FRED

jaiden
09-12-2008, 08:08
If you really plan to go to -25C you need to do a LOT of testing and not rely on what anyone else says.

Ramblinrev
09-12-2008, 08:15
If you really plan to go to -25C you need to do a LOT of testing and not rely on what anyone else says.

Make sure you have bail out options during the testing as well. Those temps are more than a little dangerous if you are not prepared properly. One thing you are going to have to be able to rely on is an absolutely great wind block. The wind may do more damge to your plans than the air temps.

fred1diver
09-12-2008, 08:17

your right about the testing, just trying to eliminate some testing with all the knowledge you all have
Thanks
FRED

fred1diver
09-12-2008, 08:18
Make sure you have bail out options during the testing as well. Those temps are more than a little dangerous if you are not prepared properly. One thing you are going to have to be able to rely on is an absolutely great wind block. The wind may do more damge to your plans than the air temps.

Hey ramblin, what kind of bailouts are you reffering to?
thanks
FRED

Ramblinrev
09-12-2008, 08:31
well... for example... back yard.... or someplace where the car is right there and ready haven. Anyplace safe where you get out of the cold if things go unexpectedly. Eight miles in with an makeshift log bridge between you and safety is not the time to find out your insulation won't cut it. once you have confidence in your set up... then sure by all means do the hundred mile wilderness in winter. But until you have that utmost confidence.... stay close to safety in those temps. It doesn't take long for exposed flesh to freeze in those conditions. I'm sure, living in Quebec you are used to the cold weather saftey rules. But just make sure you follow them with no shortcuts until you know you can trust your setup.

Fiddleback
09-12-2008, 09:52
Ramblinrev is spot on! I practice what he preaches. And I would add -- once you are comfortable with what your system allows, leave a margin of error for forecasted temps/weather systems when on the trail. I try to be ready for lows 10°F below forecast. I also use a pad which I can double over or go to ground with to boost the system's low-temp capability.

Backyard experiments can save sinner and saint alike.:D

FB

RadioFreq
09-12-2008, 12:48
I've been down into the teens on two occassions with my HH. Both times I was using a JRB underquilt and my BA zero degree bag with a Walmart full length 3/8" CCF pad inserted. I was also wearing clothes, fresh dry socks and a fleece stocking cap. Slept comfy warm.

One of the two pictures in my gallery shows one of those occassions.

Just Jeff
09-12-2008, 16:52
A bailout can also be as simple as a CCF pad and bivy sack, if you've used that setup in the past and know it will be safe in your conditions. That way you can actually go on trips in search of cold weather rather than waiting for it to come to your backyard.

The first few trips it'll be a hassle to carry a bulky pad you're not actually using as part of your hammock setup, but it's much safer to have a proven setup while you're learning how to stay warm in your hammock.

hikingjer
09-24-2008, 22:42
A bailout can also be as simple as a CCF pad and bivy sack, if you've used that setup in the past and know it will be safe in your conditions. That way you can actually go on trips in search of cold weather rather than waiting for it to come to your backyard.

The first few trips it'll be a hassle to carry a bulky pad you're not actually using as part of your hammock setup, but it's much safer to have a proven setup while you're learning how to stay warm in your hammock.

Good point. This is my dilemma now in the shoulder season in the North Cascades i.e. going as light as possible but uncertain of the temperature range of the new HH SuperShelter with variables such as wind. It's a drag to have to switch back to a 4.75 lb Lowe internal fame pack from the usual Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack to have enough space to haul that extra CCF pad and bag cover.

BillyBob58
09-25-2008, 09:25
Hi 20sF to low 30sF with basic SS ( 1 pad, undercover and space blanket)
About 18F with same SS plus kidney/torso OCF pad, a down vest in the upper body area of UC plus a Garlington insulator in the lower part. All with SS suspension adjusted as needed to avoid any gaps ( plus warm bags/quilts on top, of course)

Ekdog
10-14-2008, 08:13
Hi. I'm a newbie here, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Perhaps I should have opened a new thread.

I'm planning a cycling trip into the mountains here in southern Spain for this weekend, and I want to use my HH. This will be my first time using it in coolish weather (nighttime temps are expected to reach 10º Celsius, and I'm wondering if I'll be okay with my down sleeping bag, which is rated to 0º, I believe, and a closed cell foam pad. Thanks.

toddkmiller
10-14-2008, 11:31
Hi. I'm a newbie here, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Perhaps I should have opened a new thread.

I'm planning a cycling trip into the mountains here in southern Spain for this weekend, and I want to use my HH. This will be my first time using it in coolish weather (nighttime temps are expected to reach 10º Celsius, and I'm wondering if I'll be okay with my down sleeping bag, which is rated to 0º, I believe, and a closed cell foam pad. Thanks.

I would recommend the SS (without the pad) for those temperatures or at least an additional layer around the bottom to block heat loss through the bottom. Someone had mentioned using a heat blanket tied around the outside of the hammock bottom which sounds llike a lighter, cheaper alternative.

Hector
10-14-2008, 12:15
Ekdog, you should be fine if the pad is thick enough (at least 1/2" at a guess, depending on how you sleep) and you can stay on it (does your sleeping bag have provision for attaching or sleeving the pad?).

Ekdog
10-14-2008, 15:15
I would recommend the SS (without the pad)...

I'm not sure what "SS" stands for.

Ekdog
10-14-2008, 15:18
Ekdog, you should be fine if the pad is thick enough (at least 1/2" at a guess, depending on how you sleep) and you can stay on it (does your sleeping bag have provision for attaching or sleeving the pad?).

No, I'm afraid it doesn't. Any suggestions on how I might keep them together?

warbonnetguy
10-14-2008, 16:07

3/8" pad takes me to freezing.

FanaticFringer
10-14-2008, 16:34
I'm not sure what "SS" stands for.

Hennessy Super Shelter

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#Anchor-ACCESSORIES-49575

Peter_pan
10-14-2008, 17:56
Hi 20sF to low 30sF with basic SS ( 1 pad, undercover and space blanket)
About 18F with same SS plus kidney/torso OCF pad, a down vest in the upper body area of UC plus a Garlington insulator in the lower part. All with SS suspension adjusted as needed to avoid any gaps ( plus warm bags/quilts on top, of course)

BB58,

You really need to post a disclaimer with what you cite above....You and NEO run icewater for blood.... ;)

Pan

BillyBob58
10-14-2008, 21:56
BB58,

You really need to post a disclaimer with what you cite above....You and NEO run icewater for blood.... ;)

Pan

Maybe, but I really don't think I am in Neo's class. I don't think I could ever approach 8*F with a 3/8" pad. I really don't think I am all that much of a warm sleeper, based on what I need on top. For example, I have never done well trying to use my 20*F Cat's Meow bag as a quilt even with warm clothes and at only 30* or so. I usually have to get in the bag and use the hood and collar. Other folks here manage just fine at colder temps using bags as quilts. Also, there are now quite a few folks here that have reported success with the basic SS in the high 20s-low 30s. And then there is ToddKMiller, from Canada. Who reports that he and another scout master used the basic SS well below zero.

Now, THAT is icewater for blood. Or anti-freeze. I like the SS, but I'm sure I could never get within 40* of that.

bluenoseRumRunner
10-15-2008, 07:53
Testing is what I've been doing as the temps get lower out here in NS. Although I won't get close to temps that Fred1diver will experience this winter (having lived in Gatineau myself, -25C feels greats after a week of -30C :) ) I did take note of the setup that a group of us took out during a hang 2 weeks ago. (overnight +6C, wind gusting 60km/h).

Those in the HH used a -7C sleeping bag (link (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442618268&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302865703&bmUID=1224074684169)), liner (link (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442420035&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302701579&bmUID=1224074717839)) and an emergency blanket (link (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302696025&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441892881)). They were comfortable.

While I was in a ENO single with a double hex tarp, a thermarest basecamp mat and an poor selection in sleeping bag. the only issue I had was that I could not get any heat to stay on top (the gusting wind overnight was tough), no issues for keeping the bottom warm. My takeways from that test was to start saving for a better sleeping bag as the next test outing might be in january.

As always, this forum is invaluable for learning what others are using.

Hector
10-15-2008, 08:41
> Any suggestions on how I might keep them together?

Not really. I've seen people on here recommend an SPE (see Speer hammocks website). I've seen some bags with loops for attaching pad to bag. But I use a bag with a sleeve for the pad that keeps things together like a bed, so never had to worry about it. Sorry. Maybe someone else in here who's fought the fight can help you?

The thing is, when it gets good and cold staying atop that pad is really important, or you'll be waking up all night and adjusting things in the dark. No fun.

Ramblinrev
10-15-2008, 09:01
A pad in the HH is tantamount to useless.. IMHO. I have never gotten a handle on how to organize it unless you bind the bag and pad together... something I don't want to do because I open my bag as a quilt. I confess I have not tried a SPE so I can not speak to that. I also have a very wide, long HH and that may make a difference. As far as I am concerned the less I have in the hammock the better I like it in my HH. Underquilts is the only way to go in my opinion. They don't have to pricey but the trade off is size and weight.

I made a double bottom bridge for cold weather so I can use the pads and Underquilts as needed. The HH Safari deluxe will be my early shoulder season/warm weather rig.

I am not a long distance hiker so the weight penalty I can live with. I covet the day my ship comes in and I have the cash flow to do a JRB set up on the quilts but until then....
But I haven't spent more than $30 on any of my insulation choices so far (all DIY)

JaxHiker
10-15-2008, 09:05
But I haven't spent more than $30 on any of my insulation choices so far (all DIY)
What are you using for insulation?

Ramblinrev
10-15-2008, 09:09
Synthetic what ever I've got. Mostly I have adapted sleeping bags to an underquilt. I am currently muddling through a KAQ design using an old comforter I picked up for $5. Wally World fabric.... Like I say I can live with the weight penalty and I don't go long distances partly because I can't. But the compression ratio stinks.

Anyway, if you need cheap... there are ways of doing it, but the penalty is there... no question about it.

JaxHiker
10-15-2008, 09:47
To this day I have yet to find anything I can use at Wally World. Wish I could get some silnylon scores in the $1 bin like others have. I'll see what they have in the way of insulation though. Maybe I should scour the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores but I can't remember seeing any sleeping bags. The comforter might be a good source for some insulation though.

I've got the KAQ guide in front of me right now. Started reading it at breakfast.

Ramblinrev
10-15-2008, 10:29
one of my quilts was a wally world 40 F sleeping bag for $9

I am not overly worried about the silnylon fabric. Like I say there are trade offs when doing it on the cheap. I've had this comforter out in the rain and it survived pretty well without a nylon cover. I'm just making a nylon shell for it. I'm trying to replace a sleeping bag I tried to adapt for the HH. It just doesn't work right and I don't want to chop it up right yet.

toddkmiller
10-22-2008, 07:55
thank you all for the great info, still not sure about the ss
down to -25°c is about what I'm looking for!
so one last question, ss or uq?
the sleeping bag issue is a no brainer sine I have a -20°c bag + overbag.
is't just the bottom I'm worried about.
thanks in advance
FRED

As noted above I got down to -25 C with the SS and an additional space blanket. No cold spots. My two fellow scout leaders had the same configuration and they were toasty as well. We didn't have Over Covers.

fred1diver
10-22-2008, 15:03
hi guys, sorry it took so long for me to leave a reply,
thanks for all the great info, one last question, how good is the KAQ?

is it pretty warm or does it only add a small amount of insulation?

I already have a speer type SPE and curently have a -20°c
should I add a uq or should I be good
as usual, thanks in advance
FRED

2Trees
10-22-2008, 15:23
I originally posted this in:
Tips & tricks > Will a Speer PeaPod work on Hennessy Hammock w/ 2Q Zipper Mod #2?

But, thought I'd copy it to this thread about HH in the cold.

Here's my experience with -10* F Hennessy Hammock camping.... Yep, I have spent some cold nights in my HH Backpacker Ultralight w/ the Super Shelter. I have the complete setup: the undercover, open cell foam pad, and the overcover. First I set up my hammock perpendicular to the wind and low to the ground so that I was only inches above the snow when I got in the hammock. I used my HH 70D Hex Shaped Green PU coated rain fly and guyed it out close to the ground and just inches above the top of my hammock. I piled some snow up around the bottom of the fly on both sides to keep any wind from blowing under the tarp. (I always find a spot back in some trees so I'll have some cover from the wind. I do love the sound of the wind through the pine trees!) I would set up the SS as suggested by Hennessy. I wear a heavy, insulated hunting jacket and bib overalls. I would take these and place underneath my -40* F Cabelas XPG goose down mummy bag inside the hammock to lay on for more of a barrier on my backside. This really helped, because the foam pad seems somewhat useless. I wear a heavy extreme cold thermal underwear, heavy wool sweater, wool pants, heavy wool socks, rag wool gloves, and a thick thinsulate stocking cap. I climbed in my Cabelas goose down bag and cinched it tight around my face. It was plenty warm above me. (This Cabelas bag is the best and tons of loft and waterproof coated material!) But, my backside would compress the down and did get cold. I would have to turn from one side to another every so often to keep the chill off. It wasn't to the extreme cold, just slightly unpleasant. (Remember, I did have alot of layering.) I would get some crystallization of condensation from my breath on the bug mesh and overcover, but nothing to really worry about. The overcover is great to have. It does help hold in the heat. And, I almost always sit around my campfire (very small and sit really close) as the sun goes down and sip on warm pine needle or green tea. This really helps get my body temp up and I'm already hot when I get in my sleeping bag.

So, this has been my sub zero setup for several winter camping excursions. But, if I can beef up the loft on my backside and use an enclosed tarp/tent (as 2Q has pics of in his Images Folder), I would have no problem spending a week or a month out in sub zero temps in a hammock from my past experiences. The sealed off tarp/tent would definitely help hold more heat in and keep any wind chill from flowing through, under, and around the hammock and robbing me of any heat.

Cheers,
Mark