PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Used the BAT HAMMOCK?

BackPackHiker
07-18-2012, 12:59
I was checking out the Claytor site and noticed the BAT HAMMOCK. I was wondering if anyone has tried this thing and what was it like?

http://mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

Manchego
07-18-2012, 13:13
I saw those before. I've seen some of the wall stuff where climbers use the platforms ("profanity" that as far as I'm concerned...) and they get pretty elaborate, but heavy. I will admit I thought this interesting, as in how to get in and out.

BackPackHiker
07-18-2012, 13:32
huh, I never thought about that, I wonder how you would get in and out

Manchego
07-18-2012, 13:41
huh, I never thought about that, I wonder how you would get in and out

Right. I would think it would be kind of a dive in a do the croc death roll kind of thing, not nearly as user friendly as a regular hammock, but maybe not.

Cannibal
07-18-2012, 14:42
I've been a closet fan of the Bat Hammock just about from the time I discovered hammocks. First and foremost, I am a Batman fan. It's only natural that I would want something named as such. Plus, they are just neato in their apperance.

What has kept me from getting one is just as straightforward.

1. They do not look comfortable...at all. All those anchor points supporting the hammock are going to create rigid areas in the hammock body that the user is laying on. Hammocks, for me, are about comfort, so the Bat Hammock didn't pass the most basic test IMO. Course, this is only a theory since I've never tried one, but I'm confident in the theory. Or at least, my wallet is comfortable with the theory.

2. For the same reasons listed above, this hammock is going to be a pad user's choice. The pads would remove much of that rigid feel below and on the sides. I use quilts for sleeping on and pads for landing on. Just the way I roll.

3. From a practical standpoint, where are you going to hang it? Think about it when applied to a wooded area. How many very sturdy (in appererance anyway) limbs do you recall spotting that were within reach without having to shimmy up a tree 30 or 40'? I started paying attention to that fact when I was out hiking and ya know what; not many. Where I hike, getting the thing setup to use would take me as long as it took me to walk to the site and probably result in at least one ER bill.

Still, having said all that, I'd like to have one. It would be a pure novelty in my collection. I also have some pretty sadistic thoughts when it comes to scaring the crud out of people. How much fun would it be to be hanging above a regular use trail where the majority of people never look up? Just a quick "Hey!" might make more than one person soil themselves just a little. THAT, would be fun! :D

Meat Hunter
07-19-2012, 13:39
They do look pretty cool, but yeah, how do you get in them? Surely there is a practical way? Anyhow, from the ones I have seen being used on google pics, they seem quite crowded, tight around the shoulders.

And as to where to hang them, when we go to the BWCA, sometimes we have a hard time just finding that special branch/limb to hang our food bad, let alone a limb strong enough to support a person. Beside, think of when a good wind comes up. It would turn you into a tether ball LOL

Cali
07-19-2012, 14:36
I have a large screened in patio with a 12 foot ceiling, and I thought it would be cool to have a Bat Hammock hanging out there. :thumbup1: :woot:

To get in them, you go in from the foot end according to their website.

wisenber
07-23-2012, 09:55
I've been a closet fan of the Bat Hammock just about from the time I discovered hammocks. First and foremost, I am a Batman fan. It's only natural that I would want something named as such. Plus, they are just neato in their apperance.

What has kept me from getting one is just as straightforward.

1. They do not look comfortable...at all. All those anchor points supporting the hammock are going to create rigid areas in the hammock body that the user is laying on. Hammocks, for me, are about comfort, so the Bat Hammock didn't pass the most basic test IMO. Course, this is only a theory since I've never tried one, but I'm confident in the theory. Or at least, my wallet is comfortable with the theory.

2. For the same reasons listed above, this hammock is going to be a pad user's choice. The pads would remove much of that rigid feel below and on the sides. I use quilts for sleeping on and pads for landing on. Just the way I roll.

3. From a practical standpoint, where are you going to hang it? Think about it when applied to a wooded area. How many very sturdy (in appererance anyway) limbs do you recall spotting that were within reach without having to shimmy up a tree 30 or 40'? I started paying attention to that fact when I was out hiking and ya know what; not many. Where I hike, getting the thing setup to use would take me as long as it took me to walk to the site and probably result in at least one ER bill.

Still, having said all that, I'd like to have one. It would be a pure novelty in my collection. I also have some pretty sadistic thoughts when it comes to scaring the crud out of people. How much fun would it be to be hanging above a regular use trail where the majority of people never look up? Just a quick "Hey!" might make more than one person soil themselves just a little. THAT, would be fun! :D

Is hanging a hiker in a hammock 30-40 ft up an approved PCT method for bear areas?:lol:

BackPackHiker
07-24-2012, 14:04
@Wisenber

LOL that is so funny. I would love to see that when walking along the trail

BackPackHiker
07-24-2012, 14:08
Right. I would think it would be kind of a dive in a do the croc death roll kind of thing, not nearly as user friendly as a regular hammock, but maybe not.

LOL I would love :boggle: to see you trying to get into this hammock doing the croc death roll LOL:lol:

Owl
08-01-2012, 09:41
My first thought looking at it was "How would you rig a tarp over this thing?".

Looks cool...and I can see where it could be real comfy with a pad in it. But actually hanging it, and then keeping the weather out, looks kinda problematical to me.

nom@d
11-05-2012, 20:22
Looks sick.