PDA

View Full Version : On the PCT

Chop
07-19-2012, 09:46
Hey folks....forgot to put up my journal when I started the PCT. I did the first 1000 or so miles ground bound, but am hanging again.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=0930c774620c332cc69980f0957c3e 8a&entry_id=32382

Above is the link to my journal...if that link is not pasting from my phone well, postholer.com then search for Beardo in the Pacific Crest Trail links.

Hammocking out here is very doable. When I do this trail again, I will bring my hammock for the whole length, and just have a 3/4 length Zrest for the few places in the first 700 miles that need a ground setup....which would also be nice to have for just crashing during the heat in the desert mid day. Hammock tarp would have been fine, and rigging up the hammock for bug protection on the ground would be fine as well.

dragon360
07-19-2012, 09:50
Was wondering this very thing recently. Glad to hear that you can do the PCT pretty much hanging the whole way.

TZBrown
07-19-2012, 09:59
Glad to have your link, and will follow your progress.

PCT might be next on my list also, or at least the JMT section

TZ

Chop
07-24-2012, 19:50
The JMT section is outstanding...will knock your socks off so beautiful.

Also worth considering is the Tahoe Rim Trail...gorgeous as well.

turnerminator
07-25-2012, 15:01
I'm going to follow this, the PCT is an itch that will need to be scratched sometime.

Looks an amazing trip :)

Hope you enjoy it!

TZBrown
07-26-2012, 13:03
Caught up on Chop's journal recently.

WOW what a great bunch of photos.

Thanks for sharing Chop. I might just be isnpired enough to get there next year

WV
07-26-2012, 14:45
Brian, I'm so glad you're doing this. I've just read about the first 300 miles of your trip. Will catch up to you in no time. :)
Holler if you need patches. ;)

Chop
07-30-2012, 14:48
Thanks WV...still got a patch that you sent out to me on the AT last year :)

Trip continues well. Hammocking NoCal has been excellent...just got into Oregon yesterday...supplying in Ashland today and back on tomorrow after some Indian Buffet.

Outstanding walking, views, people...

lvnv1212
08-01-2012, 11:49
Looking forward to hearing about the hammock for the balance of the trail! I see you picked it up in Belden. I am considering the same for next year! Love your journal.

Chop
09-12-2012, 14:14
Made it to the monument at the Canada/US border two days ago. Great trip. The PCT passes through some incredible places. I hope to do it again.

Hammocking from Belden, CA and north to Canada was no problem. Just once did I need to walk an additional 5 minutes beyond my 3 ground dwelling buddies to find suitable trees. There were some times when we would continue walking further looking for flat spots for tents for my friends.

I would hammock the PCT again, no question, and I would most likely take yhe hammock the whole way. The 30 degree underquilt and top quilt were adequate for me, your body temp and year of hike may be different.

Thanks to all who followed the journal! I appreciate your interest.

Cranky Bear
09-13-2012, 08:42
A big congrats on your finish Chop, and thank you for the awesome photos and continuous updates on Postholer. Great news that one can hammock the entire way...

RichardD
09-14-2012, 22:38
Congratulations.
I have some questions, I plan on a PCT next Summer and plan on using a hammock the whole way. Is it likely that I would have to go to ground much South of the Sierras. My quandry: leave my NEO air at home and use my very nice underquilt making ground sleeping very uncomfortable or get a new double layer hammock (WBBB 1.1dbl) and use the NEO as under insulation and have comfort when going to ground. I carried both UQ and NEO on the AT but I want to lighten up my pack more for the PCT.
I am enjoying reading your journal, have not quite finished it yet.

Chop
09-15-2012, 21:52
Hi Richard,

Looking back through the journal and visualizing the campsites that I stayed at, I'd say I'd only have to hit the ground between 4 and 8 times....and that is staying with my friends based on where we collectively wanted to stop. That number would come down if I wasn't concerned with camping with buddies.

The way that I'd probably roll when I do the trail again would be to take a z rest, just 7 sections, for times when it is necessary to go to ground at the beginning. In the first 700 miles, there are a lot of days when it is nice to just chill out under the trees letting the heat calm down..for those situations, the z rest is optimal, you don't have to blow it up, it can be tossed down wherever, and it is quick...that is an add-on of 7oz, which even though is significant, would be worth it for me ( I also use it as a backpack in my frameless pack). I picked one up mid trail, and wished I had picked it up earlier. I used it as my leg insulation in my hammock as well.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me as well if you have other questions.

RichardD
09-16-2012, 18:46
Thanks Chop.
I have an old ZRest, I will try it to see if its comfortable enough for a few nights, I would rather use my underquilt with the hammock so the Zrest might just do the job without too much of a weight penalty.
That would enable me to stay with my present hammock and my upgrade would just be a Cuban tarp to replace the Sil Hex.
Again thanks for the info.

lvnv1212
09-18-2012, 18:31
What do you think of using an air pad (neoair Xlite) for both the hammock, and the ground when necessary?

I am planning to hike the southern 1/3 of the PCT next spring - Campo to Lone Pine, and this was my "plan" - then using the hammock tarp as a ground tarp when needed, with the hammock as a ground cloth.

Any feedback?

Chop
09-19-2012, 17:38
The neoair may work for you. I notice that I get really clammy on my back if I am on a pad and not using the underquilt. But that is me. Give it a try at home or elsewhere before to see how it is for you right now in terms of warmth, I think it will be fine.

gunner76
09-19-2012, 18:30
Way to go. I did a few miles (very few) of the PCT in the late 70's when I was stationed out there. Lots of great views.

Chop
09-19-2012, 23:47
George... the 4-8 times that I mention are really just before KM and in the desert. It isn't treeless and you can camp in the woods plenty.

If you are alone and choosing your own sites, I think you can figure only a couple of times on the ground ...as you can stop a little early or move on to an area with trees to hang from.

If you go to the kickoff party, you may have to setup just outside of the Lake Morena campground...but this wouldn't be too far and not much of an issue.

enyapjr
10-03-2012, 14:13
George... the 4-8 times that I mention are really just before KM and in the desert. It isn't treeless and you can camp in the woods plenty.

If you are alone and choosing your own sites, I think you can figure only a couple of times on the ground ...as you can stop a little early or move on to an area with trees to hang from.

If you go to the kickoff party, you may have to setup just outside of the Lake Morena campground...but this wouldn't be too far and not much of an issue.

Congratulations on your completing the PCT, Chop! :thumbup1:

Thanks for confirming my past 'arguments' that one can hammock the entire PCT without having to go to ground much, too... ;)

Regarding your comment about Lake Morena, for others' information - there are trees there, but the county park does not allow anything to be attached to the trees - therefore, no hanging in the park itself... :(

I will continue reading your journal over the winter months.
Take care!

Dos
10-03-2012, 17:30
Thanks for posting and a big congrats!

Ewker
10-03-2012, 17:46
congrats Chop on finishing the PCT..yes I am late in saying that

I will read your journal after I finish jackandbarbs from last yr

Chop
10-04-2012, 20:23
Thanks guys.

Jim (PITA)...that is right about Lake Morena...I think I'd be tempted to try to setup just outside of the campground there...probably some trees just south of the campground, if I recall correctly.

I assume this is Jim who runs the bear can loan program..thanks for your work with that. I am one of the folks that got a loaner canister (the small canister), and it worked great!

SGT Rock
10-16-2012, 12:29
I just found this thread! Thanks for posting it, I need to catch up on your journal now.

I've always wondered if it was possible to hammock the PCT, and if so, what gear was needed.

Someday when I retire again, I plan to go out west and do the PCT. I just don't have enough experience out there to know what I don't know.

Chop
10-17-2012, 20:57
SGT!

I have gleaned much for your presence online over the years :)

Go west young man - Retire now!

but seriously, wait that was serious.....feel free to drop any questions my way if you got 'em.

SGT Rock
10-18-2012, 11:40
Chop,

I've been reading your journal and love the pictures. Looks like as PCT hikes go you also were on the fast side of the bell curve finishing in about 135 days (counting zeros) if I figured it out correctly.

In 2010 I saw Jexters "Wizards of the PCT" video and I got the PCT Bug. As an aside, if anyone gets a chance you should watch this video. I really mean it. I've always thought "someday I'll go hike the PCT" but never paid it much mind or really thought about what it would be like. I have seen other videos about the PCT and other trails, but no video ever really made me really excited about a trail - they were more like documentaries about the physical aspects of the trail(s). "Wizzards of the PCT" is probably the one video I've seen on any trail, that makes you feel like you are part of the social group. You really feel like you are hiking along with that group Jester was with - not in the sense you have to do every mile, but in the sense of the trail social mix.

So anyway, since then I bought Yogi's Guide and have been studying websites on the PCT. I've read Roni's journal because he did the PCT with a hammock but there isn't much specifically talking about dealing with hammock issues. Also, an interesting note that doesn't come out in the video, I talked with Jester about using a hammock, and he told me one of the guys he hiked with (Huff n' Puff I think) carried a Hennessy and used it almost every night of the trail - in one scene you can see him in his hammock with his butt is on the ground, and Jester calls him "the worst hammocker in the world", and in another segment he talks about a Tyvek bottom for his hammock.

Assumption: I've read that most every night on the PCT, you can generally count on cold weather. Buckwheat http://rickdelong.com/pct/weather.shtml did a pretty good job of capturing weather data on his hike and recording it. It looks like the average nighttime temp is going to be around 45.5F, and that only about 14 nights total will the temps get below 32F. There are places/times when you need to be prepared for lower temps, it looks like his lowest temp was 25F and that was in the desert. So assuming that, I think a prudent plan would be to regularly carry a bottom insulation system that is comfortable down to about 40. In the areas most likely to be cold you may want an extra layer, so bring whatever you choose to use for So Cal and the Sierras, then send it home to be bounced back to you up north. I assume that you would want it back somewhere around the end of August. What are your thoughts on that?

Assumption: Mosquitoes can be intense on the PCT. But it sounds like the main problems with them are in the Sierras and again up in Oregon, but are gone again for the most part by Cascade Locks. That said, Yogi recommends always being prepared for the possibility of them. So it sounds like you could carry a small DEET container and a head net for the whole trail. And then have a detachable bug system that you get mailed to you at Kennedy Meadows for the Sierras, then bounced again up to Washington, and finally sent home at Cascade Locks. Thoughts?

Assumption: It looks like every hiker that has used a hammock ends up on the ground at least one point on the PCT, many of them seem to say a handful of times. So whatever system you use, you want some sort of pad for going to ground which can also serve as part of your hammock insulation. I see you mention a 7 segment Z Rest with a 30F quilt. I've been using my pad for close to 2,000 miles of hiking and it only weighs about 10.5 ounces but is comfortable into the 40s and I've survived down into the 30s with it. My thought is to go to the other direction and use this pad for the whole trail and have a summer underquilt to add for the desert, Sierras, and then get back north again around the end of August. Thoughts?

Assumption: looks like big trees are the norm out there. To expand on camping possibilities it looks like you would want at least 10' straps with some dynaglide or amsteel extenders for the possible really big trees and really long hangs. Thoughts?

We all also use our clothing to augment our sleeping range. I've been reading and thinking on this and in Yogi's book Warner Springs Monty talks about his ultralight style on the PCT preferring Down jacket and pants on the PCT over fleece or long underwear. So I've been contemplating doing like he does and bringing a pair of WM down pants and jacket for camp wear, and having a Montbell 900 down jacket (5.4 ounces!) for my top to keep available at breaks and such. My only concern is wearing the down to bed and having it compress under my body so that I'm warm on top but cold on the bottom. I've also come to the conclusion (and I might be wrong) that in northern California it might be OK to send some clothing home and not get it back until late August. I noticed in your packing list you carried a lot of down in your kit. In hindsight, what would you change with regards to the clothing you carry on the PCT and how that integrates into your sleeping plan with the hammock?

I've been thinking I would use a 20F bag, but with my down clothing I think it might be overkill. I see you used a 32F bag and you had down clothing too. In hindsight what do you think of your bag choice and what would you do differently?

Thoughts: Huff n' Puff carried a tyvek groundsheet that could also double as a hammock cover. I made one, but really hate how it fits over a hammock. I think it would be better just to have a polycro sheet that only comes out if you actually have to go to ground. Did you ever or try some sort of hybrid ground cloth/cover?

I probably have more questions but I cannot think of them now and I've given you a lot to answer already. I will say that though I am asking this now, I probably won't get to actually hike the PCT for a quite while unless I win the lottery. I have a mortgage and kids still in school (college is expensive!). But it gives me a frame of reference. I'm planning on hiking some in Washington next summer and would like to do the JMT sometime in the near future. But for more than just me, I think other hammockers contemplating the PCT or JMT could benefit from the answers you give provided we all understand that many things gear and comfort related are subjective.

I want to keep my pack as small as possible and the weight down. I realize by setting my mind on a hammock I am taking about a 9 once weight penalty over what I could get away with for most of the trail if I went to ground instead, and for the colder sections and bug stuff I am adding up to another 14 ounces of weight. FWIW in my war gaming the PCT I've got this plan in my head:

Shelter: CF Tarp, polycro ground sheet, 10 stakes, pole spreader mod. Should be about 12 ounces total for shelter. This would allow me to go to ground if needed.

Hammock: DIY open top, 11' tree straps with UCR suspension and a couple of extenders. This will weigh about 9 ounces.

Bug protection: a small bottle of DEET and head net for 100% of the trail and a bug sock system for the Sierras and Washington. Base would be about 1.75 oz and the add on bug protection would be 9 extra ounces (I want a big bug shelter!)

Bottom insulation: DIY 2 layer evezote pad I've been hiking with since 2004 at 10.5 ounces and a modified 9.5 ounce Te-Wa summer quilt added on for the Desert, Sierras, Washington, and probably part of Oregon too.

Top insulation: 20F quilt at 21 ounces, but thinking this might be able to go lower. I hate being cold at night though.

Clothing: Sleeping socks, gloves, warm hat, wind shirt and pants, and light down top for the entire trail at 20 ounces. And for the desert, Sierras, Washington, and probably part of Oregon add on a WM top and bottom at 22 more ounces.

lvnv1212
10-19-2012, 02:31
Hi, I am going to complete the PCT in 3 sections - the first section in 2013 from Campo to Lone Pine - about 750 miles. Start date April 7, for about 45 days plus or minus. I am assuming no bug protection is needed for this section. My sleeping plan (just got everything organized / weighed today) is as follows:

- 14.8oz Warbonnet Traveler Hammock / with stock strap suspension, dutch buckles, cuben fiber stuff sack, ridge line organizer

- 7.7oz HammockGear Cuben fiber hex hammock tarp, 1.2 oz snakeskins from Mountain Goat

- 10.9oz ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus Tarp, with cuben fiber ground sheet, stuff sack (for when I need to go to ground)

- 3.2oz 6.5 inch ti J stakes (10) and cuben fiber stake sack

- 15.1oz NeoAir Large (25X76) XLite sleeping pad w/ patch kit, stuff sack (will use for both hammock and ground)

- 26.0oz ZPacks 20 Degree 900 Fill Down Sleeping Bag/quilt + 1 oz overfill (W, XL), down hood, cuben fiber dry bag. I used this bag on the JMT this year, and loved it!

- 2.7oz Exped Air Pillow (luxury item)

Total of 40.5 oz (2.5 lbs) - my base weight is looking like just under 15 lbs.

Thoughts?

-Mike

Chop
10-20-2012, 12:03
Chop,

I've been reading your journal and love the pictures. Looks like as PCT hikes go you also were on the fast side of the bell curve finishing in about 135 days (counting zeros) if I figured it out correctly.

That sounds right as far as the numbers go. I did feel like my little group of four was a bit on the faster side. We started the day after the kick off, which is slightly behind most, but not by much. And passed through what seemed like most everyone. All four in my group had hiked another big trail before, and for the most part, we were fairly lightweight gear-wise. I hope to do the trail again, and probably will with my wife. Most likely I would plan it as a 5 month outing if it is done as a thru hike, with 20 zeroes, and 20 mile/day averages. I'd go a bit slower, is what I am saying.

In 2010 I saw Jexters "Wizards of the PCT" video and I got the PCT Bug. As an aside, if anyone gets a chance you should watch this video. I really mean it. I've always thought "someday I'll go hike the PCT" but never paid it much mind or really thought about what it would be like. I have seen other videos about the PCT and other trails, but no video ever really made me really excited about a trail - they were more like documentaries about the physical aspects of the trail(s). "Wizzards of the PCT" is probably the one video I've seen on any trail, that makes you feel like you are part of the social group. You really feel like you are hiking along with that group Jester was with - not in the sense you have to do every mile, but in the sense of the trail social mix.

A very kind member on this forum lent me that DVD.. Its a good one :)

Assumption: I've read that most every night on the PCT, you can generally count on cold weather. Buckwheat http://rickdelong.com/pct/weather.shtml did a pretty good job of capturing weather data on his hike and recording it. It looks like the average nighttime temp is going to be around 45.5F, and that only about 14 nights total will the temps get below 32F. There are places/times when you need to be prepared for lower temps, it looks like his lowest temp was 25F and that was in the desert. So assuming that, I think a prudent plan would be to regularly carry a bottom insulation system that is comfortable down to about 40. In the areas most likely to be cold you may want an extra layer, so bring whatever you choose to use for So Cal and the Sierras, then send it home to be bounced back to you up north. I assume that you would want it back somewhere around the end of August. What are your thoughts on that?

Yeah, I think you are on the right track. I used a 3 season Yeti. It had another thru hike of use on it already (not sure if it had lost some of its fluff...probably some), and I would most likely use something similar in the future. I'd build my own with modifications for my height and just dial it in a bit differently. You could bring an extra pad to use in the desert and Sierras for warmth, and then do exactly like you said, and bounce it up in Washington. It was not cold for me up in Washington, at least not enough to change/add gear. But, it was dry, which makes a big difference.

Assumption: Mosquitoes can be intense on the PCT. But it sounds like the main problems with them are in the Sierras and again up in Oregon, but are gone again for the most part by Cascade Locks. That said, Yogi recommends always being prepared for the possibility of them. So it sounds like you could carry a small DEET container and a head net for the whole trail. And then have a detachable bug system that you get mailed to you at Kennedy Meadows for the Sierras, then bounced again up to Washington, and finally sent home at Cascade Locks. Thoughts?

That was my experience. Sierras -> OR/Wash border they were aggressive.. Not every day, but that is the section where they were prominent. What you are thinking is right on. I had built my hammock with an attached bugnet with a zipper for entry. My next one will be a lighter material hammock with a bug sock to slip over. My wife had built one of those for herself for our AT thruhike last year. I think her hammock/suspension/bugnetting comes in at 9.5oz. I think I could have mine around 12oz.. That is what I will be building for future hikes. Deet and headnet from Kennedy Meadows north. I carried the smallest bottle of Ben's deet, and that was fine. Also, up until South Lake Tahoe, I wore long pants and a long sleeve short. After Lake Tahoe, I switched to shorts and a t shirt. In a future hike, I'd do short/t-shirt the whole way. At the Lake Tahoe stop, I got some permethrin and shot my long john pants and long john shirt...and when we'd roll into camp and the skeeters were aggressive, I'd just get the long johns on right away.

Assumption: It looks like every hiker that has used a hammock ends up on the ground at least one point on the PCT, many of them seem to say a handful of times. So whatever system you use, you want some sort of pad for going to ground which can also serve as part of your hammock insulation. I see you mention a 7 segment Z Rest with a 30F quilt. I've been using my pad for close to 2,000 miles of hiking and it only weighs about 10.5 ounces but is comfortable into the 40s and I've survived down into the 30s with it. My thought is to go to the other direction and use this pad for the whole trail and have a summer underquilt to add for the desert, Sierras, and then get back north again around the end of August. Thoughts?

If you are comfotable on your pad in your hammock, I would encourage that plan. It is optimal. I have trouble getting comfy on the pad in the hammock and always feel clammy...I wish that were different for me!

Assumption: looks like big trees are the norm out there. To expand on camping possibilities it looks like you would want at least 10' straps with some dynaglide or amsteel extenders for the possible really big trees and really long hangs. Thoughts?

I used 8' straps with 8' whoopie slings. It worked out, BUT, there were a couple times I was wishing I had 10' straps to hang in a different location around some big trees. Those situations didn't come up a lot. But I agree, since extenders are going to only add an ounce or so, its a good idea for the longer hangs.

We all also use our clothing to augment our sleeping range. I've been reading and thinking on this and in Yogi's book Warner Springs Monty talks about his ultralight style on the PCT preferring Down jacket and pants on the PCT over fleece or long underwear. So I've been contemplating doing like he does and bringing a pair of WM down pants and jacket for camp wear, and having a Montbell 900 down jacket (5.4 ounces!) for my top to keep available at breaks and such. My only concern is wearing the down to bed and having it compress under my body so that I'm warm on top but cold on the bottom. I've also come to the conclusion (and I might be wrong) that in northern California it might be OK to send some clothing home and not get it back until late August. I noticed in your packing list you carried a lot of down in your kit. In hindsight, what would you change with regards to the clothing you carry on the PCT and how that integrates into your sleeping plan with the hammock?
I've been thinking I would use a 20F bag, but with my down clothing I think it might be overkill. I see you used a 32F bag and you had down clothing too. In hindsight what do you think of your bag choice and what wolld you do differently?

I am going to combine the above two questions as I think that they are inter-related, and dependent on one another. I am not a fan of fleece, and I wouldn’t use it for backpacking…it just doesn’t work well in the equation of weight/warmth. To a great degree, if it is chilly in the evening when you get to camp, you eat and hit the sack..everybody does…so sitting around in the down pants didn’t really happen. I used my 32 degree bag since I had it and didn’t want a fourth sleeping bag/quilt. I with I had just went ahead and made it though.

For others who may read this, I used :
Montbell 32 degree sleeping bag
Goosefoot down pants
Western Mountaineering down coat
cheap long (bottom and top) underwear from campmor

For weight, as well as comfort and flexibility, I’d change to the following:
DIY 20 degree quilt (and skip the down pants) – 20oz
Lighter weight Northface long john bottoms ( I used these on the AT, and they were good) – 3oz
Montbell windshirt (no long john top) – 2.3oz
WM down coat since I have it. (I see you are looking at the ex-light from Montbell..awesome. That IS what I’d combine with the windshirt if I needed more). Psyched that Montbell is putting this out. – 10.7oz for the WM, or shell out again and get the MB 900 (probably 6.5oz in my size)

In that switch, I'd be more comfortable sleeping at night (and in general) and save 17 ounces.

Thoughts: Huff n' Puff carried a tyvek groundsheet that could also double as a hammock cover. I made one, but really hate how it fits over a hammock. I think it would be better just to have a polycro sheet that only comes out if you actually have to go to ground. Did you ever or try some sort of hybrid ground cloth/cover?
The only thing I had with was one of the gossamer gear polycro ground cloths. That is what I’d take again. I have never used a hammock cover.

I probably have more questions but I cannot think of them now and I've given you a lot to answer already. I will say that though I am asking this now, I probably won't get to actually hike the PCT for a quite while unless I win the lottery. I have a mortgage and kids still in school (college is expensive!). But it gives me a frame of reference. I'm planning on hiking some in Washington next summer and would like to do the JMT sometime in the near future. But for more than just me, I think other hammockers contemplating the PCT or JMT could benefit from the answers you give provided we all understand that many things gear and comfort related are subjective.

Get out as much as you can. This is pointed to everyone who wants to, but doesn’t (not aimed at Sgt Rock- The above thoughts just got me thinking) . Nearly everyone that I met out on the trail made a sacrifice to be there. Spending nearly 10 months over the last two summers out in the woods has changed and evolved my thinking about a lot of things, most notably, what I tie myself down to at the expense of adventure and life that I thrive in and love. A big hike isn’t for everyone, but if you think it is for you…put all your ducks in a row and shoot them down one by one till you are in the woods!

I want to keep my pack as small as possible and the weight down. I realize by setting my mind on a hammock I am taking about a 9 once weight penalty over what I could get away with for most of the trail if I went to ground instead, and for the colder sections and bug stuff I am adding up to another 14 ounces of weight. FWIW in my war gaming the PCT I've got this plan in my head:

IMO, there is a weight penalty for hammocking vs ground dwelling…but only if you go SUL on the ground dwelling, ie without a tent and using a very light pad…sleep good brother, it is worth it!

Shelter: CF Tarp, polycro ground sheet, 10 stakes, pole spreader mod. Should be about 12 ounces total for shelter. This would allow me to go to ground if needed.

Hammock: DIY open top, 11' tree straps with UCR suspension and a couple of extenders. This will weigh about 9 ounces.

Bug protection: a small bottle of DEET and head net for 100% of the trail and a bug sock system for the Sierras and Washington. Base would be about 1.75 oz and the add on bug protection would be 9 extra ounces (I want a big bug shelter!)

Bottom insulation: DIY 2 layer evezote pad I've been hiking with since 2004 at 10.5 ounces and a modified 9.5 ounce Te-Wa summer quilt added on for the Desert, Sierras, Washington, and probably part of Oregon too.

Top insulation: 20F quilt at 21 ounces, but thinking this might be able to go lower. I hate being cold at night though.

Clothing: Sleeping socks, gloves, warm hat, wind shirt and pants, and light down top for the entire trail at 20 ounces. And for the desert, Sierras, Washington, and probably part of Oregon add on a WM top and bottom at 22 more ounces.
[/QUOTE]
Shelter, hammock, bottom and top Insulation all great. I’d do windpants or long johns only for bottom for the whole way… I think that MB light down top with a windshirt is adequate for the whole trail. If it is cold cold you are walking or in your bag, simple as that. I am with you on not wanting to sleep cold, so I encourage the 20F quilt.

Bug shelter at 9oz? How big is that sucker? :) My wifes is full coverage for a 5’5” person at 2.5oz…

Your lightweight approach is really good. On the AT, my base weight was 9ish for most of the trail, on the PCT, it was 12ish for most of the trail. I have made it a goal to get down to 6 lbsnow, and I think it is very possible. It requires me to make my own gear with the features that I want at that weight, but that is OK. At this point, I know my own needs. I’d rather carry more food than gear. I enjoy hiking more with less weight, its safer, and its easier on the body ( especially the feet!) .

Chop
10-20-2012, 12:30
Hi, I am going to complete the PCT in 3 sections - the first section in 2013 from Campo to Lone Pine - about 750 miles. Start date April 7, for about 45 days plus or minus. I am assuming no bug protection is needed for this section. My sleeping plan (just got everything organized / weighed today) is as follows:

- 14.8oz Warbonnet Traveler Hammock / with stock strap suspension, dutch buckles, cuben fiber stuff sack, ridge line organizer

- 7.7oz HammockGear Cuben fiber hex hammock tarp, 1.2 oz snakeskins from Mountain Goat

- 10.9oz ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus Tarp, with cuben fiber ground sheet, stuff sack (for when I need to go to ground)

- 3.2oz 6.5 inch ti J stakes (10) and cuben fiber stake sack

- 15.1oz NeoAir Large (25X76) XLite sleeping pad w/ patch kit, stuff sack (will use for both hammock and ground)

- 26.0oz ZPacks 20 Degree 900 Fill Down Sleeping Bag/quilt + 1 oz overfill (W, XL), down hood, cuben fiber dry bag. I used this bag on the JMT this year, and loved it!

- 2.7oz Exped Air Pillow (luxury item)

Total of 40.5 oz (2.5 lbs) - my base weight is looking like just under 15 lbs.

Thoughts?

-Mike

Mike, I like the idea of hiking the trail in 3 sections. I'd encourage you to leave it a little open ended with the schedule, so that you can really enjoy the benefits of a section hike (unrushed feeling). April 7th is a little on the early side of starts. You may want to just go to Kennedy Meadows if starting that early if it is a heavy snow year.

I did not experience bugs by Lone Pine this year. If you did, it would be only be for a few days..maybe carry the headnet and deet beginning at Kennedy Meadows.

I'd probably skip the Zpacks tent, if you are already carrying the hammock tarp. There are a number of ground dwellers who do the entire trail with just a tarp. I had a Zpacks tent for part of the trail before I had my hammock (beginning when I was on the ground) and liked having the bug net of the tent in the Sierras, but you shouldn't need both for the section you are planning for 2013.

If the neoair pad is comfy for you in the hammock, then that is a pretty good way to combine under insulation for hammock and ground.

Base weight at 15lbs -> I wrote a little bit about trying to go as light as possible in the response to Sgt Rock above, so you'll see some of my thoughts there. With the gear that you have listed above, I am really surprised that you'd be as high as 15lbs. If you want to share your complete gear list, I'd be happy to 'weigh' in on it.

Already envious of your trip!

SGT Rock
10-21-2012, 06:24
In the last couple of days I've been looking at going with a poncho instead of rain jacket. Everything I have read so far says Ponchos are the way to go for the few times you do need rain gear out there. Zpacks makes a Poncho that can also be a ground cloth - so I'm thinking something like that is a possible solution for me at 4.9 ounces.

That sounds right as far as the numbers go. I did feel like my little group of four was a bit on the faster side. We started the day after the kick off, which is slightly behind most, but not by much. And passed through what seemed like most everyone. All four in my group had hiked another big trail before, and for the most part, we were fairly lightweight gear-wise. I hope to do the trail again, and probably will with my wife. Most likely I would plan it as a 5 month outing if it is done as a thru hike, with 20 zeroes, and 20 mile/day averages. I'd go a bit slower, is what I am saying.
Sort of what I've experienced on hikes. If I push big days I end up taking off days, so it seems better just to average them. I've also decided when I do hike the PCT not to push doing the first day as a 20 like so many I have read do it (and regret it). Looks like there is a hammock possible site about 10 miles in using Google Earth.

That was my experience. Sierras -> OR/Wash border they were aggressive.. Not every day, but that is the section where they were prominent. What you are thinking is right on. I had built my hammock with an attached bugnet with a zipper for entry. My next one will be a lighter material hammock with a bug sock to slip over. My wife had built one of those for herself for our AT thruhike last year. I think her hammock/suspension/bugnetting comes in at 9.5oz. I think I could have mine around 12oz.. That is what I will be building for future hikes. Deet and headnet from Kennedy Meadows north. I carried the smallest bottle of Ben's deet, and that was fine. Also, up until South Lake Tahoe, I wore long pants and a long sleeve short. After Lake Tahoe, I switched to shorts and a t shirt. In a future hike, I'd do short/t-shirt the whole way. At the Lake Tahoe stop, I got some permethrin and shot my long john pants and long john shirt...and when we'd roll into camp and the skeeters were aggressive, I'd just get the long johns on right away.Interesting. I've spent time in some deserts, including the Mojave and assumed long pants and shirt were the way to go. But I'm also contemplating an umbrella in the desert.

Here is a video of what I made for myself after watching "Wizards of the PCT" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQmar...ure=plpp_video

I am going to combine the above two questions as I think that they are inter-related, and dependent on one another. I am not a fan of fleece, and I wouldn’t use it for backpacking…it just doesn’t work well in the equation of weight/warmth. To a great degree, if it is chilly in the evening when you get to camp, you eat and hit the sack..everybody does…so sitting around in the down pants didn’t really happen. I used my 32 degree bag since I had it and didn’t want a fourth sleeping bag/quilt. I with I had just went ahead and made it though.

For others who may read this, I used :
Montbell 32 degree sleeping bag
Goosefoot down pants
Western Mountaineering down coat
cheap long (bottom and top) underwear from campmor

For weight, as well as comfort and flexibility, I’d change to the following:
DIY 20 degree quilt (and skip the down pants) – 20oz
Lighter weight Northface long john bottoms ( I used these on the AT, and they were good) – 3oz
Montbell windshirt (no long john top) – 2.3oz
WM down coat since I have it. (I see you are looking at the ex-light from Montbell..awesome. That IS what I’d combine with the windshirt if I needed more). Psyched that Montbell is putting this out. – 10.7oz for the WM, or shell out again and get the MB 900 (probably 6.5oz in my size)

In that switch, I'd be more comfortable sleeping at night (and in general) and save 17 ounces. That is some food for thought. I already have the Montbell Jacket (always watching the local outfitter for deals), and would have thought you would want more clothing in the Sierras where I hear folks complain about being wet and cold all the time.

Get out as much as you can. Every chance I get. Living outside the Smokies is a blessing.

Shelter, hammock, bottom and top Insulation all great. I’d do windpants or long johns only for bottom for the whole way… I think that MB light down top with a windshirt is adequate for the whole trail. If it is cold cold you are walking or in your bag, simple as that. I am with you on not wanting to sleep cold, so I encourage the 20F quilt.

Your lightweight approach is really good. On the AT, my base weight was 9ish for most of the trail, on the PCT, it was 12ish for most of the trail. I have made it a goal to get down to 6 lbsnow, and I think it is very possible. It requires me to make my own gear with the features that I want at that weight, but that is OK. At this point, I know my own needs. I’d rather carry more food than gear. I enjoy hiking more with less weight, its safer, and its easier on the body ( especially the feet!) .
Agreed

Chop
10-23-2012, 22:25
With the pants and long sleeves... I realized I was carrying sunscreen anyways....a collared shirt is nice. When I switched from pants/long sleeves to a T-Shirt and shorts, it was soo welcomed. I didn't feel nearly as dirty (my legs get dirtier with pants than without because of a sweat) and just loved the air flow. I think if I was standing around in the desert, that'd be different...but hiking, I will do shorts and short sleeves.

Poncho vs Raincoat. Its probably even debateable if either are needed for a large portion of the PCT. I liked having the raincoat in the windy mornings a few times in the Sierras... I wore it for about 3 hours cumulative for mist the entire trip...but we had outstanding weather. If it is cold, its a nice extra layer.

With the Sierra cold...it wasn't cold for me during the day. And in the evenings, I just hit the hay if it was cold...but that didn't even happen much.

Depending on the timing of your start, you can slackpack the first 20 miles. That'll work if you go to kickoff. There are people who will take you to the border in the AM and you can just walk back with minimal gear.

SGT Rock
10-25-2012, 17:05
With the pants and long sleeves... I realized I was carrying sunscreen anyways....a collared shirt is nice. When I switched from pants/long sleeves to a T-Shirt and shorts, it was soo welcomed. I didn't feel nearly as dirty (my legs get dirtier with pants than without because of a sweat) and just loved the air flow. I think if I was standing around in the desert, that'd be different...but hiking, I will do shorts and short sleeves.Point taken. I prefer shorts in most weather.

Poncho vs Raincoat. Its probably even debateable if either are needed for a large portion of the PCT. I liked having the raincoat in the windy mornings a few times in the Sierras... I wore it for about 3 hours cumulative for mist the entire trip...but we had outstanding weather. If it is cold, its a nice extra layer.I figure a wind shirt will do for me most of the time.

With the Sierra cold...it wasn't cold for me during the day. And in the evenings, I just hit the hay if it was cold...but that didn't even happen much. Good to know.

Depending on the timing of your start, you can slackpack the first 20 miles. That'll work if you go to kickoff. There are people who will take you to the border in the AM and you can just walk back with minimal gear.

I just did 19 in the Smokies with a full pack, so a 20 mile slack might not be too bad.

Chop
10-26-2012, 10:19
Yep...the 20mile slack will be no problem for you in that case. Very similar walking. On the whole, I was pleasantly surprised how easy 20 miles on the west coast was compared to the east coast hiking that I have done. On the PCT, 20 miles can happen by lunch if you start early, crank...and keep thinking about that pizza in town.

DigitalJanitor
02-05-2013, 18:16
.... I'm planning on hiking some in Washington next summer ...
Hey, just FYI from someone who lives in central WA.... If you're coming here to backpack in the mountains, the standard advice is to prepare for bugs and prepare for cold nights/mornings. It can freeze any day out of the year (even had sideways snow flying by at 2,000' in town one year for 4th of July). And if you want to burn some time with an experienced hiker, just start the conversation about what's worse- the mosquitoes or the flies.

Hopefully you'll hit a great window of weather and skip the airborne blood draw, but it's always possible to get.... something else, lol. As long as it isn't totally socked in you can guarantee beautiful views though.:thumbup1:

SGT Rock
02-05-2013, 18:34
It looks like maybe we are going to Idaho in the Sawteeth range.

DigitalJanitor
02-05-2013, 18:41
It looks like maybe we are going to Idaho in the Sawteeth range.
If that's the same Sawtooth range I saw on our honeymoon a couple decades ago, you're gonna love it! Been wanting to get back out that direction ever since.

Def keep Washington's Cascades on your bucket list though.

Wolfman
06-12-2013, 15:05
Chop and Sarge! Thanks for all the great info on the PCT and Gear. I am hopping to start hiking the PCT next year, but I will probably have to do it in sections as I don't know how I could take off for 5 or 6 months.

I also plan on using a Hammock for the majority of the hike. Not sure abut the start though, Google earth does not show a lot of trees out there!

Wolfman

SGT Rock
06-13-2013, 10:59
There is a journal on trail journals of a guy that thru-hiked the pct and used a hammock every night, though he doesn't talk much about it in the journal. Jester's friend breezeway used a hammock almost every night.

IDJAY
06-17-2013, 17:33
SGT, I live near Boise Idaho so if I can be of assistance when you hike the Sawtooths let me know. I really appreciate your videos and you sharing your gear and thoughts.

Chop, thanks for sharing your PCT thoughts. The PCT is on my list and my current thinking is for 2015. Lots to learn between now and then.
J

SGT Rock
06-17-2013, 21:09
I appreciate the offer. We are going to be staying with an aunt and uncle in the Sun Valley area. They have a cabin on some river up that way.

IDJAY
06-18-2013, 11:59
Best of luck it is beautiful country. Enjoy. J

Kodiak1
12-30-2016, 13:31
Anyone hiking the pct in 2017 with hammock.

aaoconn
01-04-2017, 19:07
Yea I will be, Kodiak! Starting NOBO around May 1st.

MonkeyWrench
01-05-2017, 01:27
I'm just doing the Oregon section NOBO

ndstephens
01-07-2017, 13:56
good to know you can do most of the PCT with a hammock. i've been wondering about this

Rifleman
01-10-2017, 15:57
Chop, I really enjoyed reading your journal from the PCT hike. Did you keep a journal from your 2016 PCT hike?

Kodiak1
01-10-2017, 17:14
Great to hear aaocon hope to meet you that's about the time end of April when I hope to start !!!

Chop
01-11-2017, 09:28
Chop, I really enjoyed reading your journal from the PCT hike. Did you keep a journal from your 2016 PCT hike?

Thanks Rifleman, Yep, kept a journal for the 2016 hike as well. Here is the link -> http://longdistancehiker.com/pacific-crest-trail-2016-posts/

WV
01-12-2017, 10:12
Chop, what a pleasure to bump into you and Sweetpea here again! I jumped right to your 2016 debriefing posts, and grinned the whole time while reading them. Thanks. For me, life is a long distance hike, and I've decided to practice nasal breathing. :)

MonkeyWrench
01-12-2017, 18:29
If any northbounders think they will make it to PCT DAYS in Cascade locks that's my end location and time for my Section hike. Give me a jingle this summer if anyone makes it there.

Chop
01-16-2017, 22:59
Chop, what a pleasure to bump into you and Sweetpea here again! I jumped right to your 2016 debriefing posts, and grinned the whole time while reading them. Thanks. For me, life is a long distance hike, and I've decided to practice nasal breathing. :)

Ha! Your post made me smile a lot as well! We still remember that you sent out the cuben patch kit to us on the AT in 2011...lots of miles since then, and I still have that cuben patch kit!!

I am totally serious about the nasal breathing! Life changing for me :)

Caminante
01-17-2017, 07:00
Chop, I just read three of your trail journals and really enjoyed them. It's a dream to do a long hike one day, but, for now, I'll live vicariously through yours. How great that you and your wife hike together.

Chop
01-18-2017, 09:54
Chop, I just read three of your trail journals and really enjoyed them. It's a dream to do a long hike one day, but, for now, I'll live vicariously through yours. How great that you and your wife hike together.

Thanks for your kind words. It has taken a bit of 'engineering' to create a life where we can be out so much, but it has been very much worth the effort. I am truly fortunate that my wife and I are on the same page. She brought up the idea of doing the AT years before I would have given it serious consideration...but now...

Hoy, vamos a ir Guatemala por dos meses en el Lago de Atitlan. Esperamos el caminante va a ir excelente acerca los volcanes :)

Caminante
01-18-2017, 10:52
Que padre! Nunca he ido a Guatemala. Que disfruten su caminata, y espero el diario de viaje. Vete con cuidado.

xrayextra
01-18-2017, 12:50
I plan on hiking the PCT this year (2017). It was suggested that I tent camp the first half of the trail due to limitations on hanging spots. I'd hate to alter my mileage just to accommodate a suitable hanging spot. I'll have to read your journals, Chop. Thanks.

Chop
01-19-2017, 05:44
Que padre! Nunca he ido a Guatemala. Que disfruten su caminata, y espero el diario de viaje. Vete con cuidado.
Gracias Amigo!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Chop
01-19-2017, 05:52
I plan on hiking the PCT this year (2017). It was suggested that I tent camp the first half of the trail due to limitations on hanging spots. I'd hate to alter my mileage just to accommodate a suitable hanging spot. I'll have to read your journals, Chop. Thanks.
This was what I was told prior to my first PCT hike in 2012. I had a tent up through Belden and then switch to my hammock.

After that hike, I went back and pictured all of the times that I would have hammocked in the first half. There were so few times that I when my wife and hiked in 2016, we knew we'd hammock the whole way.

I believe we slept on the ground 5 times, and if memory serves, all before Mojave. All but one of those could have been avoided by hiking on a couple more miles. I believe that it is on this thread where I talk about our all terrain system... If not, it is in my post on gear on our website. Let me know if you have any questions.

The PCT is an incredible walk. Good luck on your journey!

DevonHowton
01-28-2017, 23:06
Chop, I too am planning to hike the PCT but it will likely have to wait until 2018. What did your ground set-up look like when you had to do so. Did you just pitch your tarp and throw down some Tyvek? Were bugs (mosquitoes) an issue?

Chop
01-29-2017, 00:03
Chop, I too am planning to hike the PCT but it will likely have to wait until 2018. What did your ground set-up look like when you had to do so. Did you just pitch your tarp and throw down some Tyvek? Were bugs (mosquitoes) an issue?
Hi Devon...

I carry a gossamer gear polycro ground sheet, and use 7 parts of a Z rest for going to ground (also great for taking breaks on), and my hammock tarp. Mosquitoes are not a problem in the areas where you are most likely to go to ground... Basically before mile 600 (or before). If memory serves, the tarp only went up once in the few times we slept on the ground... Otherwise cowboy camping is the way to go.

The weight penalty is pretty low to cover both scenarios really. Less than an additional 10 of... And having the half length Z rest is really nice for breaks and using under your legs (I have been using a 3/4 length UQ) during colder parts of the trip, which could be almost anytime.

You can plan your passes in the high Sierra so that you can stay in trees every night. In three passes through the Sierras, I have always slept in the trees... And you can see this using Guthooks app that shows campsite photos as well as looking at halfmiles maps for vegetation coverage. Basically walking 20 miles per day in the high Sierra does this fairly conveniently and gets you in between passes.

You could also review my journal (and Rambling Hemlock's) for mileages to see where we camped and you can aim for the same spots. We both note the total trip miles daily so you can see where we stayed.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

DevonHowton
01-29-2017, 02:56
Hi Devon...

I carry a gossamer gear polycro ground sheet, and use 7 parts of a Z rest for going to ground (also great for taking breaks on), and my hammock tarp. Mosquitoes are not a problem in the areas where you are most likely to go to ground... Basically before mile 600 (or before). If memory serves, the tarp only went up once in the few times we slept on the ground... Otherwise cowboy camping is the way to go.

The weight penalty is pretty low to cover both scenarios really. Less than an additional 10 of... And having the half length Z rest is really nice for breaks and using under your legs (I have been using a 3/4 length UQ) during colder parts of the trip, which could be almost anytime.

You can plan your passes in the high Sierra so that you can stay in trees every night. In three passes through the Sierras, I have always slept in the trees... And you can see this using Guthooks app that shows campsite photos as well as looking at halfmiles maps for vegetation coverage. Basically walking 20 miles per day in the high Sierra does this fairly conveniently and gets you in between passes.

You could also review my journal (and Rambling Hemlock's) for mileages to see where we camped and you can aim for the same spots. We both note the total trip miles daily so you can see where we stayed.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

That's really great man, thank you! I currently carry 4 sections as a seat / extra padding for when I ground camp. I don't imagine an extra 3 sections will add much weight, mostly just bulk. I have yet to ever hammock camp, but have been sleeping on the ground for a decade. I'm currently waiting on my Dutch Chameleon.

You mention that you have a 3/4 length UQ. What temp rating is it? I have a 20°F ZPacks TQ. Would you recommend a 20°F UQ as well? I live in Calgary AB, where it gets quite cold in the winter and was considering purchasing a full length 0°F HammockGear Incubator. Do you think that would be overkill or could I make it work? The reason I ask is that I'm not opposed to spending money on good quality gear, but I hate buying multiple items that do the same thing. I want one item that can be used for multiple purposes. Ie, if I can make a 0°F UQ work in warmer climates I would rather do that than have 2, or 3 at different temp ratings. Or would you recommend getting a 20°F UQ and supplementing that with other gear to lower its usable temp?

As to planning my trip to stay in wooded areas so that I can hang at night is a good idea, and I'll be sure to read your journal to see what you did. I am a complete novice to thru hiking so any experience that I can take advantage of, the better my chances of success will be, so with that I thank you for your wealth of knowledge and your willingness to share it with me/us.

Perhaps I'll post a gear list and ask you to give it a once over to make sure I'm not doing something stupid. If you wouldn't mind that is.

Chop
01-29-2017, 09:43
That's really great man, thank you! I currently carry 4 sections as a seat / extra padding for when I ground camp. I don't imagine an extra 3 sections will add much weight, mostly just bulk. I have yet to ever hammock camp, but have been sleeping on the ground for a decade. I'm currently waiting on my Dutch Chameleon.

You mention that you have a 3/4 length UQ. What temp rating is it? I have a 20°F ZPacks TQ. Would you recommend a 20°F UQ as well? I live in Calgary AB, where it gets quite cold in the winter and was considering purchasing a full length 0°F HammockGear Incubator. Do you think that would be overkill or could I make it work? The reason I ask is that I'm not opposed to spending money on good quality gear, but I hate buying multiple items that do the same thing. I want one item that can be used for multiple purposes. Ie, if I can make a 0°F UQ work in warmer climates I would rather do that than have 2, or 3 at different temp ratings. Or would you recommend getting a 20°F UQ and supplementing that with other gear to lower its usable temp?

As to planning my trip to stay in wooded areas so that I can hang at night is a good idea, and I'll be sure to read your journal to see what you did. I am a complete novice to thru hiking so any experience that I can take advantage of, the better my chances of success will be, so with that I thank you for your wealth of knowledge and your willingness to share it with me/us.

Perhaps I'll post a gear list and ask you to give it a once over to make sure I'm not doing something stupid. If you wouldn't mind that is.

Right, it is just a little more bulk. I actually put the pad on the back of my pack in the shock cord, and that works well, so that it doesn't take up any additional pack space.

If you are new to hammock camping, you are in for a treat. There are so many wonderful things about hammock camping. We end up making some good friends on our hikes and camp with them. What you will find, to many people's surprise is that it will be easier for you to find a spot to hang then your ground dwelling friends (to pitch a tent or tarp) in a lot of places. Simply put, there are plenty of areas with trees that are not flat or have rocks and roots under them :) When you first start testing your hammock gear be sure to get tips from this site so you get dialed in if it doesn't come naturally. It is a bit more complex than ground sleeping, but the rewards are high.

Thanks for mentioning the Chamelon. I hadn't seen it, and just checked out the Kickstarter campaign page. Looks pretty rockin!

I have yet to use an underquilt that is rated below 20 degrees, and am not sure how a 0 degree UQ would be on a warm night in the 70s. I can say that a 20 degree UQ at 70 degrees is fine...in fact my back is rarely uncomfortable because UQs work so well. I will say that I got a HG Phoenix UQ 20 for this past summer and like it a lot. I intended to sew my own quilt over the fall, which didn't happen, so I will be getting another UQ from hammock gear. I have never had an UQ that was so easy to dial in the fit and location for draft free sleeping. As temps get colder, you can suppliment by adding some baselayers. I have yet to hammock below 15deg - we spend our winters south of the border - right now in Guatemala :)

We have people who visit the website quite a bit ask for tips to help them have a successful thru hike. Here is what I just wrote to a woman recently:

Advice:

1) Pack light as you comfortably can. Your body will appreciate it. Folks don't realize how much pack weight hurts knees, legs and feet. I think folks just think of the weight on their shoulders and hips...but the damage is mostly done from the knees down. Honestly, I feel that we give up nearly 0 in comfort with our light loads. In fact, I'd bet good money that we sleep better than most while on trail :)

2) Train as much as you can. Try to get in 100-150 miles / month for two months before hand if possible. You will start stronger and fell more confident going into the hike. (If your hike is several months a way, start now and be in even better shape). Also, start carrying weight for a hundred or more training miles before beginning your hike. We just finished up a couple packs and packed one up with 23 lbs to get a feel for how the pack was carrying. I could feel it in my feet and hips on just a 6 mile walk.

3) Add up the calories for your daily hiking diet so that you know that you are starting with enough. We've run into several people on our hikes who are getting weaker and weaker, and then upon talking about food, realize that they are only getting 2500 calories/day. We aim for 3500-4000. Consider getting Squenchers as an electrlyte suppliment. Another hiker turned me onto these a few years ago, and I absolutely love them, and have 2-3/day while on trail. You can pick them up on Amazon.

Feel free to toss up your gear list, I am happy to offer thoughts on it.

Chop
01-29-2017, 12:56
One more thought about a 'go to ground setup':

We built our tarps in 2011 as we were prepping for our long first hike, which was the AT. At the time, Cuben Fiber was not as expensive as it is now, so we built them ourselves using CF. We did not use a catenary cut on the ridge lines. This has been fine when we can hang the tarp between trees. It has not been great however, when we are using poles to pitch the tarp and tie off to trees (not the ground). The tarp gets pretty flappy. We had one night on the Arizona Trail in 2015 where it kept us awake for so much of the night.

Our current feeling is that it is better to have a cat cut for an all-terrain setup, and as such, our next tarps will be made with a cat cut. HG does a cat cut as stock and I believe that some other manufacturers do as well.

DevonHowton
01-29-2017, 23:51
Chop, here is a link to my current kit list. Just bear in mind that this is a ground dwellers set-up and as I have not yet purchased any hanging gear I haven't added it to the list. Anything with a star is an item that I have not yet purchased.

http://devonhowton.com/kit-list/

When I get my hanging gear, I'll likely be changing...

+ Dutch Chameleon with 15' straps and Dutch Beetle Buckles
+ HammockGear Cuben Fibre Tarp w/ doors, with Dutch continuous ridgeline
+ HammockGear underquilt (not sure yet which one)

- ZPacks Duplex
- Therm-A-Rest X-Therm

Thoughts?

If anyone else wants to make some suggestions, I am definitely open to your recommendations.

WV
01-30-2017, 09:28
Chop, is Adam really using a catenary ridge line now or just on the edges? I modified my old DIY cuben tarp to add cat cuts to the edges some years back, and they were nice but not essential for me, since I tend to hang in sheltered spots 99.9% of the time. On my next tarp I left the edges straight, but it meant I had to be careful about the corner tie-out angles and tension. It was an advantage, though, because I was subsequently able to cut and paste extensions at will, so the tarp changed shape over the next year or two. It started out as a rectangle hung on the diagonal, with triangular corners added to improve end coverage. Then I extended one side so I could stake it down to the ground and give more protection for my dog. Then I decided I wanted a bigger porch mode on the other side .... you get the picture. Of course each new seam added to the weight (only minimally) but it also added strength. Incidentally the first cuben tarp got cut up to make patchwork additions to the current one. Dutch derides my much-modified tarp (it's not handsome), but it works. :)

Chop
01-30-2017, 13:29
Chop, is Adam really using a catenary ridge line now or just on the edges? I modified my old DIY cuben tarp to add cat cuts to the edges some years back, and they were nice but not essential for me, since I tend to hang in sheltered spots 99.9% of the time. On my next tarp I left the edges straight, but it meant I had to be careful about the corner tie-out angles and tension. It was an advantage, though, because I was subsequently able to cut and paste extensions at will, so the tarp changed shape over the next year or two. It started out as a rectangle hung on the diagonal, with triangular corners added to improve end coverage. Then I extended one side so I could stake it down to the ground and give more protection for my dog. Then I decided I wanted a bigger porch mode on the other side .... you get the picture. Of course each new seam added to the weight (only minimally) but it also added strength. Incidentally the first cuben tarp got cut up to make patchwork additions to the current one. Dutch derides my much-modified tarp (it's not handsome), but it works. :)

Hi WV! Corresponding with Harry at HG earlier this winter, he mentioned "We use a 2 inch cat cut on all of the different spans of the tarp to make sure everything stays taut, but we can adjust that for you if you wish."

I can see how keeping things straight would make it more modular for future changes. That is interesting that you extended the sides. I may ask HG to do that on a tarp for me. Being 200ish lbs (at 6'4") I am often hanging lower than the tarp and can feel the breeze (and a touch of mist) in storms etc. When in great tree coverage and protection this is not an issue, but I have been exposed a few times that have made me wish I had another foot on the windward side.

The cat cuts would truly come in their most handy-est during times when one goes to ground and cannot tie off to a tree, bush. It is just hard to put tension on the whole shelter effectively when supporting the tarp via poles.

Chop
01-30-2017, 15:04
Devon...taking a look at your list - looks like you have a good packlist with a light baseweight...excellent.

Forgive me if I missed something on your list that you already have:

Warm hat & Warm gloves - I carry these on every trip except for low elevation middle of warm summer hikes. On the PCT, you could use them at any period of the hike

Waterproof Mitts - We ended up buying some waterproof mitts in Washington after some painful cold wet days in the 30s and 40s. That was this last year. On my 2012 hike, it misted for 2 hours one morning in Washington and about 3 hours in SoCal and that was it for precipitous.

Rain Pants - same as above

Possibly 2 2L water bags either Evernew or Platypus

Probably don’t need the 50’ line…don’t really need to hang food in my opinion. Few people hang food on the PCT.. On the AT, yes it is seen more. I dropped the rope and 'special bag' for food a few years ago and replaced with ziplock bags where I organize my food in a daily way, and carry two Loksaks which I store the food during the night.

inReach. I know these have become popular….but if you are simply carrying one for other peoples ‘feelings’ about your safety, keep in mind that this can backfire when they malfunction. We witnessed a situation on the AT where a hiker’s parents had forest rangers and a bunch of people out looking for their daughter when the device malfunctioned. If you are carrying one for yourself and your own piece of mind -that is a different situation and I understand. I am glad that neither my wife's parents nor my mom have learned that such devices exist :)

I switched to a Ghost Whisperer in the middle of the hike when the price was right on these. I liked the jacket quite a bit and it is a much better fit for me then the Western Mountaineering stuff.

Headnet - This is pretty necessary in parts of the Sierras and Oregon
Deet - Same as above

Compass - Lots of folks won't have one, but I still believe it is a piece of gear to not go without. You can get a light one so it is not adding burden to your load. It has become a habit for me to carry one. You can get lost and with a compass walk a reasonably straight line to safety eventually (in most cases)

Small towel (Lightload and MSR make good ones) - This is nice for cleaning your feet, legs and all dirty parts in the evenings. Go to bed fresh (ish) :)

Nail file or Emory Board - This is a very new addition to my pack and quite honestly I can't believe I didn't discover it before. On a longer hike, my feet get callouses and those callouses cut into my socks causing unnecessary expenses with socks. I was going through socks quickly this past summer until I started using the emory board.

Ear plugs (for super windy times as well as in hostels or shared hotel rooms)

Sewing kit - my wife uses this for blisters, but we also carry it in case a piece of begins to tear apart

Micro Spikes for the Sierras - depending on the snow fall for the year that you hike, you may want to carry microspikes. There can be some spots that are a bit slick (depending on the time of day you cross the passes) and the microspikes are helpful.

That is all I can see at the moment :)

DevonHowton
01-31-2017, 01:42
Devon...taking a look at your list - looks like you have a good packlist with a light baseweight...excellent.

Forgive me if I missed something on your list that you already have:

Warm hat & Warm gloves - I carry these on every trip except for low elevation middle of warm summer hikes. On the PCT, you could use them at any period of the hike

Waterproof Mitts - We ended up buying some waterproof mitts in Washington after some painful cold wet days in the 30s and 40s. That was this last year. On my 2012 hike, it misted for 2 hours one morning in Washington and about 3 hours in SoCal and that was it for precipitous.

Rain Pants - same as above

Possibly 2 2L water bags either Evernew or Platypus

Probably don’t need the 50’ line…don’t really need to hang food in my opinion. Few people hang food on the PCT.. On the AT, yes it is seen more. I dropped the rope and 'special bag' for food a few years ago and replaced with ziplock bags where I organize my food in a daily way, and carry two Loksaks which I store the food during the night.

inReach. I know these have become popular….but if you are simply carrying one for other peoples ‘feelings’ about your safety, keep in mind that this can backfire when they malfunction. We witnessed a situation on the AT where a hiker’s parents had forest rangers and a bunch of people out looking for their daughter when the device malfunctioned. If you are carrying one for yourself and your own piece of mind -that is a different situation and I understand. I am glad that neither my wife's parents nor my mom have learned that such devices exist :)

I switched to a Ghost Whisperer in the middle of the hike when the price was right on these. I liked the jacket quite a bit and it is a much better fit for me then the Western Mountaineering stuff.

Headnet - This is pretty necessary in parts of the Sierras and Oregon
Deet - Same as above

Compass - Lots of folks won't have one, but I still believe it is a piece of gear to not go without. You can get a light one so it is not adding burden to your load. It has become a habit for me to carry one. You can get lost and with a compass walk a reasonably straight line to safety eventually (in most cases)

Small towel (Lightload and MSR make good ones) - This is nice for cleaning your feet, legs and all dirty parts in the evenings. Go to bed fresh (ish) :)

Nail file or Emory Board - This is a very new addition to my pack and quite honestly I can't believe I didn't discover it before. On a longer hike, my feet get callouses and those callouses cut into my socks causing unnecessary expenses with socks. I was going through socks quickly this past summer until I started using the emory board.

Ear plugs (for super windy times as well as in hostels or shared hotel rooms)

Sewing kit - my wife uses this for blisters, but we also carry it in case a piece of begins to tear apart

Micro Spikes for the Sierras - depending on the snow fall for the year that you hike, you may want to carry microspikes. There can be some spots that are a bit slick (depending on the time of day you cross the passes) and the microspikes are helpful.

That is all I can see at the moment :)

I got the warm hat, didn't think about gloves. Also never thought of water proof gloves either. Good catch.

Rain pants, I have a rain kilt.

I have 2x 2L Evernew bags on order.

Where do you put your food, if not in a tree?

The inReach is kind of multi-purpose. 1. It's an emergency rescue plan. 2. It will allow people to follow along with my trip by showing where I currently am on a map. 3. can be used as a GPS / map. I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I love my Ghost Whisperer, so comfy!

I did think of a headnet, but neglected to put it on the list. Again, good catch.

I was thinking the inReach would work as a compass, but having something that doesn't require batteries is probably a good idea.

I was gonna add a towel to the list as something to use for wiping condensation on the inside of my tent but thought I could use my bandana for that. I normally tie my bandana to my shoulder strap to wipe sweat while hiking.

I never would have thought of a nail file or emery board.

Got the ear plugs. They are essential for me. Once upon a time in the Army I had a beetle crawl into my ear while I was sleeping and clamp down so hard that I screamed myself awake. It took about an hour and 3 medics to get that bugger out of the there. I don't sleep outdoors without them now. Also some people snore.

I have a small sewing kit, but for some reason it never made it on the list. Thanks for reminding me. It can be used for gear repairs and blisters too.

Micro spikes! I knew there was something I was forgetting. What are your thoughts on an ice axe or whippet?

Thank you for the input Chop! I really do appreciate it.

Chop
01-31-2017, 09:36
I got the warm hat, didn't think about gloves. Also never thought of water proof gloves either. Good catch.

Rain pants, I have a rain kilt.

I have 2x 2L Evernew bags on order.

Where do you put your food, if not in a tree?

The inReach is kind of multi-purpose. 1. It's an emergency rescue plan. 2. It will allow people to follow along with my trip by showing where I currently am on a map. 3. can be used as a GPS / map. I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I love my Ghost Whisperer, so comfy!

I did think of a headnet, but neglected to put it on the list. Again, good catch.

I was thinking the inReach would work as a compass, but having something that doesn't require batteries is probably a good idea.

I was gonna add a towel to the list as something to use for wiping condensation on the inside of my tent but thought I could use my bandana for that. I normally tie my bandana to my shoulder strap to wipe sweat while hiking.

I never would have thought of a nail file or emery board.

Got the ear plugs. They are essential for me. Once upon a time in the Army I had a beetle crawl into my ear while I was sleeping and clamp down so hard that I screamed myself awake. It took about an hour and 3 medics to get that bugger out of the there. I don't sleep outdoors without them now. Also some people snore.

I have a small sewing kit, but for some reason it never made it on the list. Thanks for reminding me. It can be used for gear repairs and blisters too.

Micro spikes! I knew there was something I was forgetting. What are your thoughts on an ice axe or whippet?

Thank you for the input Chop! I really do appreciate it.

Food - We just lay the Loksacks on the ground as they are oder proof. At this point, I’ve used them for about 5000 miles and no break ins by any animals. And this is in spots where friends were in their tent just a few few away and they got holes in their tents from mice trying to get at their food.

Warm gloves - I just use lightweight fleece liners from REI…most likely MEC has an equivalent….or there is another brand available.

Sounds like sound reasoning for the inReach :)

The beetle in ear story is nuts.. Man, I can’t imagine it!

Hopefully it will be a low snow year in the Sierra and you won’t need to worry about the micro spikes or ice axe. In 2012, there was barely any snow in the Sierras. 2016 every pass had a ton. I am mixed on the ice axe. I have not been in a situation where I would have used it. Most of our pass crossings were in pretty soft snow that it was difficult to get enough speed to even glissade. I did not see many people carrying one this past year. I like the idea of the whippet simply from the practicality standpoint, but I am unsure how effective it would be. There may be some videos of folks demonstrating the whippet these days. When I researched, I found nothing.

xrayextra
02-10-2017, 12:10
Hey Chop, couple of questions here regarding the PCT. First of all, I just finished my Costco/BBB down UQ. I made mine similar to the one in this thread: Costco-Differential-Cut-3-4-UQ-with-Faux-Baffles (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/129981-Costco-Differential-Cut-3-4-UQ-with-Faux-Baffles)
I also added a clew suspension system as per this thread: You-re-Doing-Underquilts-All-Wrong-Get-A-Clew-) (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/132651-You-re-Doing-Underquilts-All-Wrong-Get-A-Clew-))
It seems like it'll work great, but I'm going to test it this weekend on a camping trip.

Now my question: I've got an eno hammock. I sewed in velcro along the edges and made my own bug net (bought noseeum material) that connects via velcro. It works, but it may drive me bonkers setting it up every night on the PCT. But I digress, I'm considering buying another hammock. The eno is OK but not great for diagonal sleeping. I don't know if you're familiar with ENO hammocks but there's a main interior with seams separating the exterior. The exterior seems to be a bit more "flappy" than the rest. I can sleep diagonally but day after day this may become annoying. So, before I do any more work on my ENO, I'm wondering what hammock you use and if you have any recommendations.

I know people tend to buy one hammock and stick with it, not necessarily changing, hence views tend to be biased.

I have an Equinox 8x10 UL tarp that I use. I was considering making one from the tarp designs I've seen on this forum (with cat cuts, and perhaps a door like the ENO Superfly. I've already made my own water proofing from mineral spirits and silicone, and it seems to work fine. If I were hiking the AT with lots and lots of heavy winds and rain, this is most certainly what I'd do, but not so sure with the PCT. I don't think there's much rain (at least early one) but I believe there are some strong winds (not really an issue without the rain).

So, as far as hammock, if I were to buy another, what would you suggest?

Second question: I've seen Yaktrax "microspikes" on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Walking-Jogging/dp/B0094GO6HO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) that look like they'd be great (actually they're listed as "traction cleats". I've never hiked in the snow (I live in Louisiana, we rarely get snow). Are you familiar with these or do you have any other suggestions?

One last question: does it get real cold on the PCT? When do you need cold weather gear? (Ok, two questions, LOL)

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate the input from a seasoned veteran such as yourself!

Chop
02-10-2017, 16:29
Hi XRAY,

I have not stuck with the same hammock year after year. I've used 3 different hammocks in the past 5 years, and just built another one this past fall for the 2017 season. I actually have never slept a night in a commercial hammock outdoors, I've only done DIY hammocks since I started hanging prior to the great choice with custom builders coning along - I am 6'5" and have preferred a little longer hammock. From what is out there that I have seen, the Dream Hammock stuff looks smart, and I'd say my last two hammocks are very similar to the ultralight Darien model that DH does. I like that you can their stuff in lightweight versions. I am 190lbs and have no problem with 1 oz/sq yd fabrics.

I've used/made hammocks with an integrated bug net, and ones without (and just carried a separate bug sock), and highly prefer the version with an integrated setup with a zipper on one side. It is even worth the weight penalty (and I don't take adding weight to my rig too lightly).

There is not a ton of rain, for the most part, on the PCT. You are right, the winds can be serious. I've had two different experiences on the PCT. In my 2012 thru hike, I had 2 nights with rain. In 2016, I had around 15 or so. Very different weather in Washington between the two hikes. I would encourage you to have a pretty legit tarp that you are happy with...not necessarily something with doors...but not something that you are taking along 'just in case'.

For traction, go with something like MicroSpikes - https://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Footwear-Traction-Medium/dp/B00RXXJ0V2/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1486761059&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=microspikes

these have more substantial traction...with spikes on the bottom. It is pretty easy to bust the Yaktrax.

It can get pretty cold on the PCT. 2012, I used a 32 degree bag and was generally fine. 2016, I had a 20 degree quilt and was very glad I had it. It really depends how late into the fall you are on the trail. I finished on Sept 9 in 2012 and Sept 25th in 2016. That extra couple weeks made a big difference..I ended up adding in mid weight thermals in Washington (previous to that I just used a windshirt and windpants if I was cold at night).

Carry lightweight gloves and hat the whole way, and I'd recommend carrying an insulated jacket the whole way as well - Sierras can be cold, desert nights can be cold, and Washington will be cool to cold in September.

Hope this helps :)

xrayextra
05-03-2017, 23:13
Thanks Chop. I bought a Dream Hammock (I love it) and I'm having it sent to me at Kennedy Meadows. I'm currently on the trail at Big Bear Lake. I hate my tent and air mattress. I'm going to have my hammock sent sooner but don't know what the next three-four hundred miles holds for hammock camping.

I read your journal a while ago and I'm short on time these days but do you think I could get by with just the hammock or should I carry my air mattress too. I cannot sleep on the ground, period.

I'm doing about 15 miles a day on average. When I get into camp at night I'm purely exhausted. I have flat feet and they hurt so hiking an extra couple of miles to a suitable hang spot is out of the question.

I hope I can find the time to reread your journal again to see where you camped and couldn't camp.

Thanks!

DevonHowton
05-05-2017, 01:32
Thanks Chop. I bought a Dream Hammock (I love it) and I'm having it sent to me at Kennedy Meadows. I'm currently on the trail at Big Bear Lake. I hate my tent and air mattress. I'm going to have my hammock sent sooner but don't know what the next three-four hundred miles holds for hammock camping.
I read your journal a while ago and I'm short on time these days but do you think I could get by with just the hammock or should I carry my air mattress too. I cannot sleep on the ground, period.
I'm doing about 15 miles a day on average. When I get into camp at night I'm purely exhausted. I have flat feet and they hurt so hiking an extra couple of miles to a suitable hang spot is out of the question.
I hope I can find the time to reread your journal again to see where you camped and couldn't camp.
Thanks!

Luke Sierrawalker, in 2012, posted some spots where you can hammock camp on his postholer.com blog (http://www.postholer.com/journal/Pacific-Crest-Trail/2012/Luke-Sierrawalker/2012-11-25/Gear-Review-2-Hammock-Hammock-Camping/34974)...

The following is pulled from his post.

I tried to recall good hammock camping areas in southern SoCal, hoping this might help future hammock hikers (in a northbound order, with Halfmile's mileage):

16 Hauser Canyon
20 Lake Morena Campground
24-27 Cottonwood Valley and Boulder Oak Campground
37-38 Long Canyon
40-49 Mount Laguna area
53 Pioneer Mail Picnic Area
77 Scissors Crossing
101 Barrel Spring
108-109 Canada Verde Canyon
111-113 Agua Calliente Creek Canyon
115-116 Agua Calliente Creek Canyon
120 Lost Valley Spring
126 some trees right next to trail
128.5 some trees
140 Nance Canyon
152 trees near hwy 74 and Paradise Valley Cafe
168-194 San Jacinto Mountains, on and off
219 Whitewater Canyon at the Preserve
226-308 Mission Creek Canyon pretty much to Deep Creek Hot Springs, on and off
314.5 Deep Creek Canyon
317 some trees
329 Cleghorn Picnic Area
335.5 some trees in Little Horsethief Canyon
342 Cajon Pass
362 northwards, with a few extended treeless areas around Agua Dulce, Antelope Valley and Tehachapi Pass to Kennedy Meadows.

This list is not complete and most likely contains some errors, but might give you an idea.

Resupply stops where I camped in the hammock as well were the following (southbound order):

Elk Lake Resort (stealth camp)
The Callahan's Lodge (in their gazebo, very comfy!)
Burney Falls Campground
Drakesbad (stealth camp)
Chester (stealth camp)
Sierra City (in the backyard of the great Red Moose Inn)
South Lake Tahoe (at the Campground by the Lake)
Mammoth Lakes (at the campground in town)
Kennedy Meadows (at Tom's place)
The Andersons (in the manzanita forest in their backyard)
The Saufley's (between two beams)
Idyllwild (at the campground in town)

Karla "with a k"
05-05-2017, 05:02
My friend is on the PCT right now (mile 200). Wish he knew this info.