PDA

View Full Version : BIAS Questions

Tobit
07-20-2012, 11:00
Thinking my next hammock will be a BIAS as I'd like to keep the costs low.

I see on their site the have the Weight Weenie Hammock for $48 but a "KIT" version for $60. What is the difference? Does the kit include suspension? Is this the difference. There are also no color options with the kit.

TehNoff
07-20-2012, 11:20
I'm sure the good people at BIAS will be here shortly to answer you, but yes the difference looks to be suspension.

I never noticed this before, but you totally don't get a color option with their kit. Hrmm.

HomeMadeHiker
07-20-2012, 12:03
I believe one if not both are away on a vacay. So you might try a more direct root via email.

Tobit
07-20-2012, 12:29
Can someone describe the color problem?
There was no color option on the WW Kit but it appears to be fixed now.

I just placed an order for one with ridgeline and knotty mod. :)

SilvrSurfr
07-20-2012, 12:35
Thinking my next hammock will be a BIAS as I'd like to keep the costs low.

I see on their site they have the Weight Weenie Hammock for $48 but a "KIT" version for $60. What is the difference? Does the kit include suspension? Is this the difference. There are also no color options with the kit.

I see color options for the Weight Weenie hammock, and they're the same color options for the Weight Weenie kit: Forest Green, Coyote Brown and Silver/Gray. The product description of the Weight Weenie kit indicates that it includes "a suspension system including of toggles, whoopies and 72-inch polyester straps (1-inch wide)."

So if you already have a suspension, save $12 and just buy the hammock. But $12 is pretty cheap for a suspension if you don't already have one. If you bought the suspension independently from BIAS, it's $21.95.

SilvrSurfr
07-20-2012, 12:44
I see color options for the Weight Weenie hammock, and they're the same color options for the Weight Weenie kit: Forest Green, Coyote Brown and Silver/Gray. The product description of the Weight Weenie kit indicates that it includes "a suspension system including of toggles, whoopies and 72-inch polyester straps (1-inch wide)."

So if you already have a suspension, save $12 and just buy the hammock. But $12 is pretty cheap for a suspension if you don't already have one. If you bought the suspension independently from BIAS, it's $21.95.

I have a BIAS hammock, but I like a little titanium bling in my suspension so I have whoopie hooks. Whoopie hooks are the coolest doodads - I can't live without them. Dutch has a complete whoopie hook suspension on sale for $39. I just bought the whoopie hooks for $13 and made my own whoopies to go with straps I already had.

jbrianb
07-20-2012, 17:34
I've contacted Dutch about carrying whoopie hooks as an upgrade to our line and we are in line to begin carrying them along with ridgeline biners. He's going to be out of pocket for a bit, but says he'll take care of us when he returns (after Aug. 4). We're excited to have the opportunity to offer them.

Tobit
07-20-2012, 17:48
I've contacted Dutch about carrying whoopie hooks as an upgrade to our line and we are in line to begin carrying them along with ridgeline biners. He's going to be out of pocket for a bit, but says he'll take care of us when he returns (after Aug. 4). We're excited to have the opportunity to offer them.
****. Poor timing for me on the order I just placed today but this is great news.

Edit: and crap, I never noticed tncamper's signature before, never applied the discount. "HF members get a discount on most items. Use discount code "hfmember"."

tncamper
07-20-2012, 18:50
I believe one if not both are away on a vacay. So you might try a more direct root via email.

I am out of pocket, just got a connection tonight for a bit. Is there any recommendations on places to check out in Cape Cod? I'm headed there in a few days. (been in Niagara for a few days) I'm ready for the wife to drive:scared:

SilvrSurfr
07-20-2012, 19:08

Whoopie hooks are my best investment - if there's an easier way to pack away a dry hammock and keep wet suspension separate, I'm not aware of it. Glad to see you're adding Dutch whoopie hooks to the BIAS product line!

And as much as I like making soft shackles for my adjustable ridgeline, I like Dutch Ridgeline biners even better.

oldgringo
07-20-2012, 19:16
I am out of pocket, just got a connection tonight for a bit. Is there any recommendations on places to check out in Cape Cod? I'm headed there in a few days. (been in Niagara for a few days) I'm ready for the wife to drive:scared:

You probably want to avoid Provincetown.:eek::scared::lol:

SilvrSurfr
07-20-2012, 19:18
You probably want to avoid Provincetown.:eek::scared::lol:

And maybe he doesn't. I went to a Bob Dylan concert there and it wasn't half bad. Irrespective of the predominant sexuality, it's a pretty cool place.

oldgringo
07-20-2012, 19:53
And maybe he doesn't. I went to a Bob Dylan concert there and it wasn't half bad. Irrespective of the predominant sexuality, it's a pretty cool place.

Oh, I know...love the place, meself. Still, many straight males are totally squicked.

jbrianb
07-20-2012, 20:02
Oh, I know...love the place, meself. Still, many straight males are totally squicked.

Every time I refer to tncamper as my "partner," I catch myself and cringe. No offense if that's your thing, but my wife and his have to remind us that it's a different place than it used to be and "partner" has a different meaning than we're used to. Again... we're not judging, just seeking clarity.

SilvrSurfr
07-20-2012, 20:09

I don't know what squicked means, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be squicked. Then again, maybe I'm unsquickable.

oldgringo
07-20-2012, 20:13
Every time I refer to tncamper as my "partner," I catch myself and cringe. No offense if that's your thing, but my wife and his have to remind us that it's a different place than it used to be and "partner" has a different meaning than we're used to. Again... we're not judging, just seeking clarity.

Hell, I think you make a great couple!:D

oldgringo
07-20-2012, 20:14
I don't know what squicked means, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be squicked. Then again, maybe I'm unsquickable.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squick

SilvrSurfr
07-20-2012, 20:23
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squick

Yep, I'm unsquickable.

jbrianb
07-23-2012, 17:49
****. Poor timing for me on the order I just placed today but this is great news.

Edit: and crap, I never noticed tncamper's signature before, never applied the discount. "HF members get a discount on most items. Use discount code "hfmember"."

I'll hook you up with that discount. PM me your order number or email address and I'll kick back a refund on anything that applies. NOTE: Kits are generally not included in the discount because they're already discounted.

Thanks, Tobit!

-- Brian

jbrianb
07-23-2012, 17:52
Yep, I'm unsquickable.

Well, yes. But you sometimes squick me out when you tell me stuff like, "My hammock has a hole in it!" :lol:

jbrianb
07-23-2012, 17:53
Hell, I think you make a great couple!:D

I used to love watching "The Odd Couple."

Tobit
07-23-2012, 19:15
I'll hook you up with that discount. PM me your order number or email address and I'll kick back a refund on anything that applies. NOTE: Kits are generally not included in the discount because they're already discounted.
Ok, no worries then Brian. All I ordered was a WW kit with knotty mod and ridgeline.

Athens-m50
07-24-2012, 07:56
Ok, no worries then Brian. All I ordered was a WW kit with knotty mod and ridgeline.

Well Crap.....I missed the discount too Tobit....just my luck...oh well maybe next order!.....discounts may not apply on my "kit" anyway.

but I got an e-mail yesterday that my new BIAS hammock is on the way!!!!!

Thanks Brain!

Going camping (Pull behind kind) this weekend with the family for a few days......hope it comes in so I can "Hang" while camping...and get to play!

Athens

jbrianb
07-24-2012, 10:02
Well Crap.....I missed the discount too Tobit....just my luck...oh well maybe next order!.....discounts may not apply on my "kit" anyway.

but I got an e-mail yesterday that my new BIAS hammock is on the way!!!!!

Thanks Brain!

Going camping (Pull behind kind) this weekend with the family for a few days......hope it comes in so I can "Hang" while camping...and get to play!

Athens

You should have it tomorrow in time for your weekender!

-- Brian

Fish<><
07-24-2012, 11:53
I am seriously thinking of your wwm as my first commercial hammock and love your prices/service, but have one, two part question...is 1.1 used for your wwm? If not what weight is it? The reason I ask is that I was planning another DIY hammock in 1.1 till I saw your products and might have one soon. (depending on shipping to Guam and the boss saying I can)

Ps: not trying to hijack the thread.

jbrianb
07-24-2012, 12:30
I am seriously thinking of your wwm as my first commercial hammock and love your prices/service, but have one, two part question...is 1.1 used for your wwm? If not what weight is it? The reason I ask is that I was planning another DIY hammock in 1.1 till I saw your products and might have one soon. (depending on shipping to Guam and the boss saying I can)

Ps: not trying to hijack the thread.

We've got three varieties:
Camper - 1.9 oz. ripstop
Weight Weenie - 1.1 oz. ripstop
WWM - Approximately a 1.0 oz. ripstop (could be .9). This one is a military fabric with a different feel. Our supplier calls it 1.1 but we've weighed it out at consistently less than that. It's very strong for its weight, however.

Athens-m50
07-24-2012, 15:55
You should have it tomorrow in time for your weekender!

-- Brian

Sweet!!!!...Thanks!

Fish<><
07-24-2012, 17:36
Thank you for your quick reply, definitely talking to my wife about it.

Tobit
07-24-2012, 18:29
Brian, my order is # 578. How long do you think it will take to ship? No rush, just mostly curious. Thanks.

Free Home
07-24-2012, 20:59
"My name is Brian and I'm awesome"....this is what your being known as, thanks for providing great customer service and sticking to cottage traditions, as I just ordered a WMM and will be here for my birthday.

Thanks again for being awesome, now only if the misses can fit her sleep number between the Double WWM i can get her in the woods.

Fish<><
07-24-2012, 22:03
"My name is Brian and I'm awesome"....this is what your being known as, thanks for providing great customer service and sticking to cottage traditions, as I just ordered a WMM and will be here for my birthday.

Thanks again for being awesome, now only if the misses can fit her sleep number between the Double WWM i can get her in the woods.

He definitely is, and I almost had drink up my nose on your last statement. Thanks for the laugh. :)

tncamper
07-24-2012, 23:47
Hey guys, I'm still out of town and won't be back until the front end of next week. We are getting slammed with a lot of orders (some rushes) so please let us know if your not in an extreme rush and we can get caught up ASAP when I get back. Brian is doing all he can and I'm going to try to get some ridgelines and whoopies done to ship separately from on the road.

Thanks,
Shane

Athens-m50
07-25-2012, 07:54
Hey guys, I'm still out of town and won't be back until the front end of next week. We are getting slammed with a lot of orders (some rushes) so please let us know if your not in an extreme rush and we can get caught up ASAP when I get back. Brian is doing all he can and I'm going to try to get some ridgelines and whoopies done to ship separately from on the road.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane.....Brain is Rockn it!.....no worries.....My hammock should arrive today.....ordered mine just over a week ago....enjoy your Vacation!.....he has got it under control :)

jbrianb
07-25-2012, 20:24
Brian, my order is # 578. How long do you think it will take to ship? No rush, just mostly curious. Thanks.

I am seriously shooting for Monday. I'm behind with tncamper being on vacation, but I'll catch up a lot this weekend. Then he returns Monday and we're back in business. I've got a large order in front of you... it should ship tomorrow so you're in sight.

jbrianb
07-25-2012, 20:35
Shane.....Brain is Rockn it!.....no worries.....My hammock should arrive today.....ordered mine just over a week ago....enjoy your Vacation!.....he has got it under control :)

It's never "under control" when tncamper is on vacation! But for a guy who's drowning, I am getting a lot of sympathy and support from a terrific and understanding customer base! Most folks are being cool about the delays.

Fish<><
07-26-2012, 00:50
I have some concerns directed to jbrianb and tncamper; how are the ends gathered on your hammocks? if they have the sewn through channel, would i be able to make a custom order and whip it myself instead of the channel gather? i like the ability that my diy has to change my lay a little bit. since i have slight knee problems i use a modified "w" whip. is this something you guys would be able to accomidate? thanks, Fish<><

Tobit
07-26-2012, 14:58
I am seriously shooting for Monday. I'm behind with tncamper being on vacation, but I'll catch up a lot this weekend. Then he returns Monday and we're back in business. I've got a large order in front of you... it should ship tomorrow so you're in sight.
That's awesome, thanks. Just received a bunch of Dutchware today to go with it and a few other projects. :cool:

jbrianb
07-29-2012, 18:16
I have some concerns directed to jbrianb and tncamper; how are the ends gathered on your hammocks? if they have the sewn through channel, would i be able to make a custom order and whip it myself instead of the channel gather? i like the ability that my diy has to change my lay a little bit. since i have slight knee problems i use a modified "w" whip. is this something you guys would be able to accomidate? thanks, Fish<><

Sorry for the delayed reply...

There is a sewn channel with a larksheaded continuous loop cinching the end.

Some folks have whipped their channel ends. I whipped one myself for an order... I ran the cord through the channel and whipped it by taking the cords in opposite directions to create the wrap.

We've heard a few complaints from folks who whipped their hammocks and have seen a few of our hammocks that people whipped get sold. The complaints were stretch, comfort and two of the first three used BIAS hammocks we saw sell where whipped. HYOH, of course.

That said, why whip the ends? I guess I've not understood what is accomplished by whipping the hammock.

Fish<><
07-29-2012, 21:17
No worries about the late reply, I know you are a one man show right now.

For me, whipping the ends allows me to shorten or lengthen certain parts of the hammock. Since I have knee issues (pain with hyper extension) it allows me to shorten the area that my right knee hits in my sweet spot, causing my knee to be bent in a normal direction. Most people use a pillow under their knees to eliminate this, by whipping my ends, it allows me to not need a pillow to prevent the pain.

Since I have not tried the channel type, I am willing to give it a shot. As soon as the wife gives permission to purchase your kit. I really like your product and your outstanding customer service. I look forward to doing buisness with you soon.

Kevin

jbrianb
07-30-2012, 08:26
No worries about the late reply, I know you are a one man show right now.

For me, whipping the ends allows me to shorten or lengthen certain parts of the hammock. Since I have knee issues (pain with hyper extension) it allows me to shorten the area that my right knee hits in my sweet spot, causing my knee to be bent in a normal direction. Most people use a pillow under their knees to eliminate this, by whipping my ends, it allows me to not need a pillow to prevent the pain.

Since I have not tried the channel type, I am willing to give it a shot. As soon as the wife gives permission to purchase your kit. I really like your product and your outstanding customer service. I look forward to doing buisness with you soon.

Kevin

A good answer. I am not opposed to whipping the hammock, but I guess doing it just to do it never made a lot of sense to me. You've got cause to do so... I get it. I'd recommend on ordering trying it without the whipping, see what you think, modify as needed.

Thanks, Kevin!

-- Brian

Rolloff
07-30-2012, 11:17
I'd go channeled with at least one Knotty mod. Then you could either whip or use the mods to gather the leg end of the hang. I think you will be pleasantly surprised concerning leg hyper extension.

Fish<><
07-30-2012, 11:42
I'd recommend on ordering trying it without the whipping, see what you think, modify as needed.

Thanks, Kevin!

-- Brian

You read my mind, no wonder you have such a great business!

Fish<><
07-30-2012, 11:44
I'd go channeled with at least one Knotty mod. Then you could either whip or use the mods to gather the leg end of the hang. I think you will be pleasantly surprised concerning leg hyper extension.

Thanks for the optimism in their product. It's helping me tremendously with the purchase. I currently have a measly 9'6" hammock so I am pretty sure that it's my fault for making it so short.(im 6'2") anyways thanks.

swankfly
09-08-2012, 16:05
Woo-hoo, it's gonna be a frosty 65 degrees tonight in South LA. I can't wait to spend it in my BIAS WW DL! I will probably have to get the long johns out in order to make it through the whole night. That hammock is so comfortable everyone should have one.

Brrrrrrrrr......

2ply
09-08-2012, 16:14
Can't wait to try mine out, the BIAS should be here by Tuesday. Hanging out in the Clark tonight.

TheCoyote
09-08-2012, 16:30
The kit is so you can pick out your hammock, suspension, ridgeline, and mods if you so desire. For the regular order (non kit) you just get the hammock and suspension. Then there is a drop down for added mods(cost more). The kit is so you can pick and choose all mods and details. BIAS is great gear and amazing service.

Jeremy