PDA

View Full Version : JRB's Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock question

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 08:16
I was wondering if I could get some feed back of the JRB's Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock from bigger people. I am 6'3 240 lbs and I know the hammock isn't rated at this weight but I saw a couple of guys sold theirs shortly after buying them and one of the comments (from a big guy) was that the shoulder room was very tight when he got in it and I was wondering if this is the case and is there any way around this my using a bigger spreader bar or what. I talked to Jack about a bigger model and he said "Eventually we intend to design a larger model. However, it’s not in the cards for the immediate future." so I was wondering if it was plausible for me to make this work for my given size or am I out of luck for awhile. I would rather wait if I had to than to blow a lot of money having to Jerry Rig it and spend even more money just to get it to work so so. Any suggestions, should I wait or will it work. I definitely would like to have the shoulder room, if that's not possible I would rather wait.
Thanks for the help

Mule
09-12-2008, 08:33
I have pretty wide shoulders and I found the Bridge was fine. I weigh 210 too, but I am only 5'10" too. Bridges are easy to make and you would do well in one with your weight. I have made three of them so far and I have altered a JRB as follows:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5216
and here are some shots of others:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5603
I personally like having no end caps on the bridge. I made one to Grizzley Adams specs and a couple more the same size and parabolic measurements as my JRB. For me, I like the narrower cuts of the JRB. The narrowness of the flat laid body fabric as it's cut makes no difference as to how they feel when you lay in them but it seems to make a difference in has easily it is to get in and out of. I like short sides so I can see out easier. Hope this helps some.
Mule

BurningCedar
09-12-2008, 10:37
I was wondering if this is the case and is there any way around this my using a bigger spreader bar or what.

I'm pretty sure the end-caps are sewn in on the JRB (I sold mine so I can't confirm this). In that case, the end-caps would define the maxium width of the spreader bar. So, no, you can't use wider spreader bars on a stock JRB.

You can of course remove the end caps (either rip the seams or simply cut it out); but in that case you might as well make your own bridge exactly to your specifications.

Good luck!!!

clwilla
09-12-2008, 11:06
I only have squeeze when lying on my back with my arms down at my sides. In other words, the most un-natural sleeping position I can think of. As soon as I bring my arms up on my stomach/chest, or roll on my side or stomach, squeeze is completely eliminated, and maximum comfort is achieved.

The nice thing about a bridge is that one can sleep in virtually any position one can sleep in a bad because it is a flat lie.

BTW: I am 6' 220.

FanaticFringer
09-12-2008, 11:52
Shoulder squeeze should be no issue at that height/weight. You are right at the limit in height. I weigh a little more than you but am 8" shorter and mine fits me well. I also have a DIY bridge. Easier for some to make than others. Mine was a undertaking.

fin
09-12-2008, 13:11
I find that by adding a thicker pad in the BMB's pad pocket, the "squeeze" is eliminated. :cool:

FanaticFringer
09-12-2008, 13:57
I find that by adding a thicker pad in the BMB's pad pocket, the "squeeze" is eliminated. :cool:

What kind of pad is this?

Mule
09-12-2008, 14:22
I'm pretty sure the end-caps are sewn in on the JRB (I sold mine so I can't confirm this). In that case, the end-caps would define the maxium width of the spreader bar. So, no, you can't use wider spreader bars on a stock JRB.

You can of course remove the end caps (either rip the seams or simply cut it out); but in that case you might as well make your own bridge exactly to your specifications.

Good luck!!!
If you looked at the link in the second post it shows you how I modified the end caps to use a 36 inch spreader bar on both ends. Mule

DGrav
09-12-2008, 14:36
I'm 6'3" 195 and just got back from a week have backpacking and sleeping in my BMB. I have spent probably 30 nights in my BMB and have never had any shoulder squeeze issues when hung properly.

Once I hung it too loose and with the head end too high, this combo resulted in some noticeable shoulder squeeze. Once I got up and tightened the rig and lowered the head end everything was back to perfect.

Just Jeff
09-12-2008, 16:45
You said you're 6'3" and 150lbs...you shouldn't get much shoulder squeeze at that weight. Did you mean 250?

I'm 5'10" 185 lbs and I get shoulder squeeze like clwilla says - when I'm on my back with my hands at my sides. Sometimes I have to fidget a bit to get just right but I don't spend much time on my back anyway. When I put my arms over my head it's very comfortable.

Laying on my side is very comfortable but I can't pull my knees up very high unless I prop one up on the side on the hammock. This has been fine so far but I just got it...and haven't had it in the field yet, with low temps and wind, etc.

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:03
Thanks for catching that Just Jeff, when I typed my weight in yesterday, I was half a sleep, I meant it to say I am 240 lbs, sorry about that. I'm not that talented at building one, but mule, you have a awesome set up. I thank everybody for your input and if you think my height/weight won't be a problem then I will try to acquire one when they come in next week. I definitely like the bridge design and that design is definitely the way to go. My biggest concern was my height/ weight issue and not being squeezed in there.
Also if my height/ weight issue is still not an issue, what size tarp would you recommend for the hammock, I live in Fla and we have allot of rain sometimes that can come in vertically from the sides sometimes and the tarp that comes with it looks very small.
Thanks

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:09
I guess in the forum you have to have 10 postings or more to look at links. "To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 2"

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:09
And it says I have to

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:10
have at least

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:10
10 letters to post.

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:11
Kind of strange.

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:12
But none the less

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:13
I'll move my

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 17:13
post counts to 10 so I can see the links.

FanaticFringer
09-12-2008, 17:15
90lbs extra changes my opinion significantly.:eek: You are a good bit over the suggested weight limit. At that height/weight, I would say to look at other hammock options and hold out for the bigger JRB model in the future.

fin
09-12-2008, 17:15
What kind of pad is this?

My old Air Pad - couldn't tell you the manufacturer - some sporting goods store knock off Green Nylon Air pad with a screw valve release - I've had it for 15 years or more. But when inflated to my desired firmness for my hammock, it's about 2 1/2" thick (Variable due to compression.) It works really well in my bridge - s**ks everywhere else because it has no real structure to it, so you roll off it in the middle of the night. But in my BMB, there's nowhere to roll!:laugh:

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 18:26
Thanks FanaticFringer, sorry about the confusion on the weight issue. I didn't catch it until I had rechecked the post. Very good, I'll take your advice and wait till the next model then, I was wondering with my weight if it would be a problem and I guess it will. I was hoping that a bigger model would be released not to far down the road but it looks like that might be awhile. That is a little bit of a let down that it would not work out with this model but then again it wasn't designed to. If I had mules talent, I'd try to make one, but I've never seen one up close (just pictures) and I don't have the sewing equipment or the skills to do a decent job building one. I guess I'll wait and hope they come with a bigger model down the pipe. Thank you for the advice, better to wait than to throw the money away and have to resale it at a lower price if it didn't work.

falcon5000
09-12-2008, 19:11
Once again, Thanks again for every bodies help.

*HangMan*
09-21-2008, 11:43
Falcon I too emailed JRB and they said the same reply. I am 6'1 225. I'm also impatiently waiting for a wider model. :D

Coldspring
09-21-2008, 12:50
The website continues to claim that the thing is good for folks up to 6' 3" and 225 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend the thing for folks over 5'10" and 185.

BillyBob58
09-21-2008, 14:20
My old Air Pad - couldn't tell you the manufacturer - some sporting goods store knock off Green Nylon Air pad with a screw valve release - I've had it for 15 years or more. But when inflated to my desired firmness for my hammock, it's about 2 1/2" thick (Variable due to compression.) It works really well in my bridge - s**ks everywhere else because it has no real structure to it, so you roll off it in the middle of the night. But in my BMB, there's nowhere to roll!:laugh:

When I put my 26"(or 25"?) wide, at least 2" thick Thermarest in there, it makes a very noticeable dif in the perceived "squeeze" and even more so in being able to draw my knees up when on my side. IOW, with the pad I can draw them up, without the pad I can't except a very small distance. But this pad is to heavy for anything but car camping or short distance over-nighters. I have not experimented with equally wide but lighter pads to see if they would be as big of a help.

I say "perceived squeeze" because I have come to realize, after much trial with a second unit, that there is not as much as I thought there was. It requires an adjustment in thinking and expectations, with the final result a lot of over all comfort. When I lay flat on my back, though I was at first still very aware of my shoulders, it was not so much squeeze ( unless I put my arms down by my sides) as it is a sensation of my shoulders being curved, as though I was standing with bad posture. My shoulders assume the curve of the hammock, but are not really squeezed with pressure like I have felt in hammocks hung with out enough slack. I also came to realize that, despite this sensation in my shoulders which I admittedly do not find optimum, it is still overall a very comfortable rest. With my arms draped over my abdomen/chest, I am aware of this curvature but after realizing I do not actually have shoulder pressure, it is still probably as comfortable and maybe the most comfortable OVER ALL of all of the hammocks I have tried. It is definitely the most comfortable hammock I have tried for side sleeping, where width is not a concern. (I'm 6'1", 204 Lbs). Especially when using the pad, so that I can draw up my legs. But comfortable on the side either way. My Claytor was pretty comfortable for side sleeping on my recent Rockies trip, but not quite a match for the BMBH. Although, I could draw my legs up without needing a pad.

I was going to take the JRB instead of the Claytor and give it a good trial, but it was a little heavier considering the spreader bars and I did not really yet have a set up for warmth underneath except to buy a heavy pad. I did not have time to experiment and see if my WB UQ would work on the JRB, and my PeaPod def would not. So I took the Claytor. But I had a weird set up problem on 2 nights and was wishing I had brought the JRB, though that was probably my fault and not the hammocks. I'll detail all of that when I finally submit the trip report.

Any way, bottom line, I don't think the JRB shoulder squeeze issue is nearly as bad as I at first thought, though it is definitely a bit different sensation in the shoulders. Also, I got my step son to try it, and he is closer to the upper weight limit, but not over. Maybe 220 lbs, 6'2". Even with me standing there trying to explain the shoulder situation to him, though he was very comfortable with his hands behind his head, he quickly said that would get old pretty quick, and with hands over abdomen quickly declared it too tight and he would just stick with his Claytor. And I think even my wife ( about 120 lbs, 5'5") quickly said she could see why I would feel squeezed, because even she felt sort of squeezed. And I think what they were both doing was just having a negative reaction to the different sensation of the curved shoulders, rather than actually being squeezed. Because I don't think there is any way my 120 lb wife was actually feeling shoulder squeeze. But it is different and needs to be taken into consideration when judging the "squeeze" situation. For me, I have decided it is not really a problem, at least not enough to negate the other positive benefits. Shoulder squeeze or curve or whatever, it is still an extremely comfortable hammock over all, quite possibly the most comfortable for me.

On the other hand, 240 lbs might be really pushing it, and definitely over the specified limits.

One final thing: In addition to certain pads improving the width situation, mine seems to be a few inches wider on the ends than in the middle. So, if I position myself so that my head is slightly elevated by the end caps- functioning then as a pillow, works pretty good- the shoulder room issue becomes even less of a potential problem, IMO, close to zero problem.

DGrav
09-21-2008, 15:54
The website continues to claim that the thing is good for folks up to 6' 3" and 225 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend the thing for folks over 5'10" and 185.

I'm 6'3" 195Lbs and the BMB works great for me. 30+ nights so far.

schrochem
09-21-2008, 17:46
I don't have the BMB but have made several DIY bridges and just today was messing around with many different configurations. Shoulder squeeze really becomes an issue when you are on your back. If you like to sleep on you back I'd maybe suggest one of the other great hammocks out there. The beauty of the bridge is you can really lie on your side with out getting the banana bend and torque feeling. I actually lie kind of half side half back like ( \ ) if you were looking down the end. When ;you are like that there isn't much shoulder squeeze. If I needed to I bet I could sleep with an 18" spreader at the head end. I was testing that out today and if you are on your side it's snug but not uncomfortable. You start to feel more pressure on the outermost shoulder blade where the side is pushing in, but since you are on your side, it's not horrible.
Having it that narrow also limits your undermost arm and you pretty much have to put it under your head (at least I do).
BTW, what are specs on the BMB again? the spreader width, hammock length, width and curve depth?
I find laying on my side and the walls coming in to be like a cozy support system that doesn't bother me a bit. I actually sleep in the same position all night (which I don't in bed).
I'd be interested if the people who found a bridge has too much shoulder squeeze if that was because they were used to sleeping in a speer or HH type hammock. For those you are better off if you are a back sleeper and most of us just adjusted to being able to sleep on our backs because trying on our sides would only be comfy for short stints (ymmv)
oh and I'm currently 6'3" 220

FanaticFringer
09-21-2008, 18:27
I don't have the BMB but have made several DIY bridges and just today was messing around with many different configurations. Shoulder squeeze really becomes an issue when you are on your back. If you like to sleep on you back I'd maybe suggest one of the other great hammocks out there. The beauty of the bridge is you can really lie on your side with out getting the banana bend and torque feeling. I actually lie kind of half side half back like ( \ ) if you were looking down the end. When ;you are like that there isn't much shoulder squeeze. If I needed to I bet I could sleep with an 18" spreader at the head end. I was testing that out today and if you are on your side it's snug but not uncomfortable. You start to feel more pressure on the outermost shoulder blade where the side is pushing in, but since you are on your side, it's not horrible.
Having it that narrow also limits your undermost arm and you pretty much have to put it under your head (at least I do).
BTW, what are specs on the BMB again? the spreader width, hammock length, width and curve depth?
I find laying on my side and the walls coming in to be like a cozy support system that doesn't bother me a bit. I actually sleep in the same position all night (which I don't in bed).
I'd be interested if the people who found a bridge has too much shoulder squeeze if that was because they were used to sleeping in a speer or HH type hammock. For those you are better off if you are a back sleeper and most of us just adjusted to being able to sleep on our backs because trying on our sides would only be comfy for short stints (ymmv)
oh and I'm currently 6'3" 220

Actually sleeping on your back in the BMBH is extremely comfortable. Hands across the chest or abdomen. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH-Gear%20Pocket.jpg
Same with my DIY bridge. YMMV
I gave Grizz the specs for the BMBH but I cant remember them. Too lazy to hang her up right now. I do know the spreader bars are 31" long. Seems like the length was about 80"

Jazilla
09-22-2008, 12:37
Anyone ever think of maybe putting a second set of spreaders at the bottom of the head end. Might do to get rid of the shoulder squeeze. I'm sure hiking poles might be a good substitute?

falcon5000
09-22-2008, 22:57
GADGETEER, Jack had replied as well and it looks like it may be quite awhile for a bigger size coming down the pipe. He did say it would hold my weight but I think the shoulder squeeze would probably make it not worth it.

Roadtorque
02-21-2009, 21:21
I'm 6'3" 195Lbs and the BMB works great for me. 30+ nights so far.

I am looking into getting another hammock. I really like the idea of the BMB but was put off a while back because I am 6'3'' 215lbs. After reading your post I am now considering it again

IndyDan
02-21-2009, 23:04
I made a DIY Bridge (thanks Grizz) with some modifications. I was concerned about weight load of the bridge, too. My stats: 5-10 / 215Lbs.

Here are the modifications:

2 layers (1.9 and 1.1 rip stop)

1” webbing folded in half, then double rolled the edges
http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/pew1.htm

Spreader Bars – Aluminum Tubing 6061 T6 Note: wall thickness = stronger
http://www.airpartsinc.com/products/Aluminum-tubing-round-6061-t6.htm

I looped the webbing at end of each four corners and bar stitched. This requires a good sewing machine to stitch through the webbing (I have a Kenmore, thanks for the recommendation Mule). Then used Spyderline 3.8mm to complete the triangles.
http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276769.asp

To test, I used 11 bags of floor dry (total 275lbs) in the hammock for several days. Its heavy duty … with the right adjustments and material modifications you should have no problems meeting your requirements.

DGrav
02-22-2009, 20:02
I am looking into getting another hammock. I really like the idea of the BMB but was put off a while back because I am 6'3'' 215lbs. After reading your post I am now considering it again

It is still my favorite hammock!

Roadtorque
02-22-2009, 20:14
It is still my favorite hammock!

Do you mostly sleep on your side? This would be the case for me so I dont think the shoulder squeeze issue (the only complaint I hear) would really be a problem for me. Because we are the same height if you lay flat on your back how much "extra" room is there to slide up and down in the hammock?

IndyDan
02-22-2009, 20:20
Roadtorque:

Would you like to try my DIY Bridge for a few weeks? If so just let me know ...
IndyDan

Ramblinrev
02-22-2009, 20:21
The nature of the bridge does not want a lot of slide room up and down. No mare than a few inches is needed.

DGrav
02-22-2009, 20:29
Do you mostly sleep on your side? This would be the case for me so I dont think the shoulder squeeze issue (the only complaint I hear) would really be a problem for me. Because we are the same height if you lay flat on your back how much "extra" room is there to slide up and down in the hammock?

I mostly sleep on my back. I do sometimes lie on my side to fall asleep but then roll onto by back.

Roadtorque
03-13-2009, 20:03
Roadtorque:

Would you like to try my DIY Bridge for a few weeks? If so just let me know ...
IndyDan

Thanks a bunch for the offer. Sorry I'm getting back so late. I just placed an order for a JRB BMBH yesterday

I mostly sleep on my back. I do sometimes lie on my side to fall asleep but then roll onto by back.

Thanks DGRAV for the help. I'm glad I read your post. I had the opportunity to try a BMBH recently and loved it. I cant believe how comfy it is. The difference in comfort between that hammock and my doublenest ENO is about the difference between my ground days and my doublenest.