PDA

View Full Version : Sewing for the visually challenged

SilvrSurfr
07-24-2012, 23:36
I got a tablecloth blank today and was jacked about sewing channels in the ends and hanging it immediately. However, I quickly got more discouraged and frustrated than I have ever experienced with the thread injector.

First of all, I am blind in one eye and have 70% vision in the other. It took me 15 minutes to wind the bobbin and thread the machine. Threading the needle alone took five minutes. My eyes were very tired from a full day of work, and I couldn't find my headlamp (which I normally use for sewing).

The tablecloth fabric was purple, and my thread was black. There simply wasn't enough contrast for someone visually challenged. Lesson learned - I will never buy black (or even remotely dark) thread, because I can't see it. Very hard to sew a straight stitch if you can't see the thread. From now I'm buying lime green thread or something really bright. Sewing is a 3-D thing and I'm operating in 2D.

My initial plan was 2 1/8" channels, triple stitched. However, I just couldn't see what I was doing. I ended up quadruple stitching the channels, They're not pretty or straight, but I think they'll hold up fine once I larkshead an Amsteel continuous loop through the channels.

I've got my Amsteel, I've got my Dutch Whoopie Hooks, and tomorrow I look forward to doing some plain old splicing of continuous loops and whoopie slings that doesn't require a magnifying glass for me to see what I'm doing.

I had envisioned doing a lot more DIY in the future, but today was particularly frustrating. I may have to invest in low-vision aids or something 'cause I'm totally exhausted. Maybe all I need is to pace myself - get proper lighting, plenty of rest, and a really big magnifying glass like jewelers or watch repairmen use.

I don't know much about what people as blind as me do when attempting something like sewing, but I intend to find out. Any other visually challenged sewers out there? Any tips you can offer me? This is the first time that my vision has really let me down, and I'm feeling pretty low.

FLRider
07-24-2012, 23:40
Not sewing, but visually challenged with tight tolerances in his off time:

A neighbor of mine back in the 'nineties was legally blind to drive (not sure what that equates to, but he definitely didn't have good vision). He used to fly fish, and he made his own flies. As part of his set-up for making them, he had one of those magnifying glasses with the light built-in and a pair of alligator clips to hold his stuff. It seemed to work for him.

Don't know if that helps at all, but...

SilvrSurfr
07-24-2012, 23:44
Not sewing, but visually challenged with tight tolerances in his off time:

A neighbor of mine back in the 'nineties was legally blind to drive (not sure what that equates to, but he definitely didn't have good vision). He used to fly fish, and he made his own flies. As part of his set-up for making them, he had one of those magnifying glasses with the light built-in and a pair of alligator clips to hold his stuff. It seemed to work for him.

Don't know if that helps at all, but...

I have to find one of those magnifying glasses. I'm legally able to drive, but detail work is an incredible strain on my brain.

Debi Jaytee
07-25-2012, 00:06
My dad was born legally blind but you'd never know it if you watched him. He felt his way around everything and could do a lot of things better than sighted people. Like fixing the steering cable on a boat, I tried for ten minutes and was ready to just jump overboard, he felt around under there and got it on the first try.
He could sew, but he used a jeweller's lens to do it (he also used it to read the newspaper). Light didn't really help him much because he said that all he saw was varying shades of gray, unless something glittered in the sunlight, he could definately see that. I wonder is some sort of metallic thread against dark fabric might work for you? Or try to feel your way around things like my dad did, although, being almost totally blind from birth, he didn't know any other way.
I feel for you, being visually impaired sucks. I'm not as bad as dad was, but without my glasses or contacts, I'm lost.

SilvrSurfr
07-25-2012, 01:15
I can drive and play baseball, basketball, golf, and other sports. It's just the tiny stuff I struggle with, like sewing. I guess you could say I was prepared for eventual blindness because I had two separate instances of blindness as a child: one at six years old (girlfriend threw sand in my eyes), and one at 12 years old (sister accidentally gouged my eyes out - it was a strange accident).

Both accidents required patches on both eyes for eight weeks - I learned to do a lot of things without eyesight during that time. I pretty much memorized the entire house and neighborhood. I got around fine without eyesight during those times.

I do a lot of things by feel now because I just don't have the vision for fine motor skills. Threading a needle is definitely a feel thing for me because there is no freaking way I could ever thread a needle by sight alone, not with my current visual aids.

Like your dad, I've adapted to limited vision, but I hope to get some better visual aids. My eye doctor is great, but he doesn't listen to me when I ask for visual aids. "Why would you need expensive visual aids?" he asks. "You still have one good eye." And when I tell him I want to sew, he says, "Why would you want to sew? You're blind in one eye. There are not a lot of one-eyed seamstresses."

Sometimes I hate doctors.

valleyrat
07-25-2012, 01:24
i think i would find another doctor, one that would listen to me and try to help me

raiffnuke
07-25-2012, 05:24
Maybe something like this will help....

http://www.foxcollection.com.au/images/products/mid/30849.jpg

http://cart.jennys-sewing-studio.com/images/wsmm.jpg

Pipsissewa
07-25-2012, 07:50
These will definitely make your life easier too: Self-threading machine needles (http://reflectionsthelighthousestore.hostedbywebstore.com/Self-Threading-Sewing-Machine-Needles/dp/B004DKHACO?class=quickView&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2412026011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Self+Threading+Sewing+Machine+Needles&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Cbrandtextbin%2Ccolo r_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=2412026011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12)

Hope you're diggin' that tablecloth hammock, my friend! :D

WV
07-25-2012, 08:41
My old eyes need more light than they used to. I've found the little Freedom Photon lights with their magnetic mounts will stick to my Singer 9210 just right. I used to think that my super-bright Zebra headlamp was an unjustifiable luxury. No longer.

I sometimes cuss when sewing black fabric with black thread, but when I made a yellow tarp with black thread I could see all my mistakes perfectly. :laugh:

I'm grateful for two good eyes, though. More power to you, SS.

gmcttr
07-25-2012, 09:35
I have to find one of those magnifying glasses. I'm legally able to drive, but detail work is an incredible strain on my brain.

I have drugstore reading glasses scattered around the house. They are simply magnifying lenses and come in a variety of powers. Keep in mind that the higher the magnification, the closer you have to be to the work. If you have never used them, try on a few different powers at the store and you'll quickly get the idea.

You'll also want a high intensity lamp next to the sewing machine.

Ramblinrev
07-25-2012, 11:46
The problem with magnifiers is the focal length. That can be a pain. I would suggest checking with an embroidery shop. They make magnifiers built into desk lamps. I have one and the focus is often just off, but I do find it useful. They make a magnifier that hangs around your neck and sits on your chest. You can change the angle of it and it allows you to see right down into your lap which is helpful at times. Needle point workers use those things alot and they are not super pricey.

Check with an occupational therapist and see if they have any experience or aids available. The biggest thing I would worry about is knowing where the needle is at all times so you don't jab yourself. As far as "Why do you want to sew?" is concerned... obviously he doesn't. You can only help people who are willing to be helped. He must not be willing. His loss.

Debi Jaytee
07-25-2012, 13:54
my dad also had this machine type thing, it looked like an overhead projector, he used it for reading at home. He held the magazine or whatever under it and it came up on the screen. That might be a little too much for sewing though. He got it on loan from the Canadian Institute for the Blind here in Thunder Bay. My uncle (who was also legally blind from birth) had one too. Have no idea how much they cost though. I'm off to work right now but will try and find a pic or other info when I get home.

gargoyle
07-25-2012, 17:36
http://www.hearmore.com/prodimages/71218.jpg

Sorry about your vision troubles. Maybe one of these magnifying lamps could help?

Dont use it outside in the sun, or else you'll start a fire.:lol::rolleyes:
http://www.sanerapdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Fire-w-Magnifying-Glass-spacepleb1.png

MAD777
07-25-2012, 19:40
I use those lamps for tying flies. I couldn't do it without the magnifying lamp. So, I also use the lamp while sewing. The additional light helps me a lot.

I don't have any special eyesight problems other than being very nearsighted all my life and now in the 60's my eyes are just getting old. It's almost impossible for me to tie a fly on my tippet near dusk.

olddog
07-25-2012, 20:58
check out some of these. http://www.activeforever.com/p-25981-task-vision-led-lighted-reading-glasses.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=csc&utm_content=A2049204&utm_campaign=gift-ideas&gclid=CIfr0KydtrECFQW0nQodD0gA0A wife got me a pair and they are great. Just pulled these up off the web, they can be found cheaper.

As far as threading the needle, I clip the thread so that I have a fresh tight end and pinch it between my index fingers with 1/8" exposed and ease the end into the eye. Normally only takes one time to get the thread thru the eye.

Ramblinrev
07-25-2012, 21:17
Threading the needle for hand stitching.... read my sig. For hand or machine I use the following routine.

I _always_ keep a piece of wax... typically beeswax but not required, paraffin would do. Run the end of the thread through the wax to stiffen it. Clip the stiffened end at a angle. Do not mess with the thread. Don't lick it (it will swell) don't twist it (it will ravel) just wax and clip. Hold it close to the end. I lower the presser foot and get a light behind the needle so the eye is high contrast.

nothermark
07-25-2012, 21:44
I keep thinking about acquiring a video camera with adjustable focus and a reasonable magnification. I have seen them used for working on surface mount electronics. On one hand that can be a bit messy to set up. On the other once you do it will probably make a lot of small work easier.

I know the blind support associations have reader attachments for computers but the one's I saw were line scanners. They may also have a line on similar camera's. I doubt your eye Doc does. It would be interesting to hear about what you learn if you pursue this.

Debi Jaytee
07-25-2012, 23:11
I looked for the thing that my dad used to use but don't see it on their website. I did however find some sewing needles that are easy to thread, both for hand sewing and machine sewing...I mean thread injecting!! Here's the link to the site, http://cnib.ca/en/services/products/Documents/CPAT_Catalgue_2010.pdf
go to page 13 and on the right hand side of the page, voila! I'm sure you can probably find this stuff in the States much cheaper but if you can't, let me know and I'll order it for you and send it along. You'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser.

SilvrSurfr
07-25-2012, 23:25
Thanks so much for all the suggestions guys. I didn't know about many of these options. Looks like I have some research to do! Thanks again.

Pipsissewa
07-26-2012, 05:47
SS: If you rigged up a large high-powered fresnel lens in front of your sewing machine, it would give you a big (like 6" x 8") magnified image to look at instead of trying to look through a small magnifier. Like THIS (http://www.colonialmedical.com/hi-power-flexible-fresnel-lens-P-2876.html&ref=shopping.google.com) Plus, LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT. Did I mention LIGHT? :)