PDA

View Full Version : Is Hammock strong enough ???

JackTramp
09-16-2008, 10:54
hey Everyone,
Hello I am from New Zealand (best outdoors in the world, no bears or snakes or other people eating animals). I new to this forum, and have just discovered the very cool idea of hammock camping.

I have injury to my lower back, and sleeping on the ground, makes getting up in the morning not a happy day. Have heard Hammocks are great for sleeping with bad back, and hoping it with allow me to get back into the great outdoors for some much need exercise and fresh air. Break from kids and wife would be nice too, haha.

Have couple of questions if someone would be so kind to reply.

1) got recomended the HH exploxer deluxe - but concerned max weight is 136kg. I am currently 130kg, thinking I may fall though this thing ??? Any big guys use this hammock ?

2) got told to get bigger fly to keep rain out etc. Sound right ?

3) shop told me hammock can be bit cold and good idea to sleep on thermarest pad , sound right ?

hanging out to get back into the outdoors, so I would be greatful any feedback

regards from New Zealand

Hector
09-16-2008, 12:41
For the weight question, ask the manufacturer -- they'll have to warrant it, so you should get an honest answer. You can email them and take a look at their website, http://hennesseyhammocks.com, I believe. Most manufacturers underrate to protect themselves, so probably fine, BUT CHECK. Hennessey also makes a Safari hammock for really big guys, so if you're really worried, there you go. I'm 6' 180 lbs. and use the Explorer Deluxe.

Check under the Tarps (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8) topic for tarp info, and the Pads (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10) and Under Quilts (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9) topics for info on staying warm.

Ramblinrev
09-16-2008, 14:26
Safari is my HH of choice. I tip the scales somewhere around 240-250 pounds. Never had a concern it is rated to 350. Safari comes stock with a large hex tarp which I still use. It actually has slightly more coverage than the DIY cat tarp I made for my wife.

The only problem with using a pad in a Hennessey is it tends to play a Paul Simon and go "slip sliding away...." There are ways of accomplishing it, but I use underquilts. Down quilts are way beyond my means but there are some synth alternatives that work pretty well if weight is not the primary issue.

slowhike
09-16-2008, 21:00
hey Everyone,
Hello I am from New Zealand (best outdoors in the world, no bears or snakes or other people eating animals). I new to this forum, and have just discovered the very cool idea of hammock camping.

I have injury to my lower back, and sleeping on the ground, makes getting up in the morning not a happy day. Have heard Hammocks are great for sleeping with bad back, and hoping it with allow me to get back into the great outdoors for some much need exercise and fresh air. Break from kids and wife would be nice too, haha.

Have couple of questions if someone would be so kind to reply.

1) got recomended the HH exploxer deluxe - but concerned max weight is 136kg. I am currently 130kg, thinking I may fall though this thing ??? Any big guys use this hammock ?

2) got told to get bigger fly to keep rain out etc. Sound right ?

3) shop told me hammock can be bit cold and good idea to sleep on thermarest pad , sound right ?

hanging out to get back into the outdoors, so I would be greatful any feedback

regards from New Zealand

Welcome to HF & to hammocking. Every body is different, but we have a number of folks here who have back problems of one kind or another, that have found the hammock to be wonderful. Makes for a GOOD day!!!
Question #1... I don't think you will fall out of the hennesy.
#2... most folks like a bigger rain fly.
#3... if the temps get much be low 70°f, you will probably need a pad to sleep on. Later on you may want to look at the underquilts too.
Here is Jeff's site. It has a lot of good info on hammocks & hiking.
http://www.tothewoods.net/

tomsawyer222
09-19-2008, 22:51
Hennesy rates his EXPEDITION ASYM at 250 pound limit do you think that you could get away with 300 pounds in it? just how far is he under rating his hammock?

Ramblinrev
09-20-2008, 07:18
move up to the Safari Delux to be safe. That is rated ated at 350.

Just Jeff
09-20-2008, 07:27
tomsawyer - Can't speak to that one, but I've had ~250 in my BULA that is rated at 200 lbs a few times. My son plus some gear in there with me...got in slowly and didn't bounce around and everything was fine.

JackTramp - I think you'll be fine at that weight but definitely talk to the manufacturer if you're uncomfortable about it. HH generally responds promptly to customers. The stock fly will work but doesn't leave much room for cooking or lounging, and you have to be a little more careful with site selection than with a larger tarp. Lots of popular options here - MacCat, JRB, Speer, and a few less expensive models. Re: staying warm, that's one of the reasons HF was started! There are several ways to do it, but folks generally need some sort of bottom insulation below 70F. Pads are popular with some folks but definitely consider underquilts before you make your decision...especially if you're looking to spend the money on a thermarest.

Oh - and welcome to HF!!

tomsawyer222
09-20-2008, 14:52
Another question for you just jeff I am wondering if when i set up the hennesy if i dont pull out the side tieouts will i be able to attach an under quilt like normal? or are the side tieouts essential? I have an under quilt that i like already and dont want to buy another hennesy specific one

Just Jeff
09-20-2008, 15:07
Generally no, but it would depend on your specific underquilt. I rarely use my HH side tie-outs no matter what underquilt I'm using...JRB, KAQ Potomac, or my homemade ones.

tomsawyer222
09-20-2008, 15:13
If the side tieouts are not needed then what purpose do they serve?

fin
09-20-2008, 15:24
If the side tieouts are not needed then what purpose do they serve?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the side tie-outs on a Hennessy are designed to give you more internal room inside the hammock, and allow you to lie diagonal.

Just Jeff
09-20-2008, 15:48
The side tie-outs on a HH are used to open up the hammock to feel more roomy inside. It doesn't really change how it lays.

If you don't use the HH tie-outs with a JRB, the quilt will hug the hammock higher and it's actually warmer. But if you use the tie-outs, then you should connect the underquilt to them as well or it can push the sides of the underquilt down.