http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammock_camping

neo
02-09-2007, 10:56
i use wikipedia a lot.here the hammock camping page on wikipedia:cool: neo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammock_camping

:D lots of familar names and links here:cool: neo

peanuts
02-09-2007, 11:13
woooowhooooo, we made it to wikipedia...cartwheel happening...shoosh...klunk!

blackbishop351
02-09-2007, 11:25
Holy crap!! Jeff, you're on Wiki!!!

How does one go about suggesting an edit or addition to one of those articles? I could spend DAYS talking about this stuff...

stoikurt
02-09-2007, 11:40
I wonder who submitted that article?

blackbishop351
02-09-2007, 11:41
I wonder who submitted that article?

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Really nice, but it could be beefed up a bit...then again, I'm biased :p

headchange4u
02-09-2007, 12:10
Holy crap!! Jeff, you're on Wiki!!!

How does one go about suggesting an edit or addition to one of those articles? I could spend DAYS talking about this stuff...

Anybody can edit entries on Wiki. All you have to do is sign up (at east that's how it used to be). That's what's great about Wikipedia; it allows anyone to add information to an entry (or remove stuff that's inaccurate).

stoikurt
02-09-2007, 12:11
Anybody can edit entries on Wiki. All you have to do is sign up (at east that's how it used to be). That's what's great about Wikipedia; it allows anyone to add information to an entry (or remove stuff that's inaccurate).

It also allows anyone to add misinformation!:eek:

headchange4u
02-09-2007, 12:15

That does happen quite a bit. Fortunately there are users out there that correct the misinformation pretty quick.

Just Jeff
02-09-2007, 18:10
A British company did a study comparing the accuracy of information between Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britanica. It found that Wiki made about as many mistakes as the encyclopedia, but had much more timely information. I wouldn't rely on it for something serious, but it's the first place I check if I have a generic question. And it usually provides links to more reputable sources for the information at the bottom of the articles.

Anyone can edit it...you don't even have to register. If you register, only your wiki your username shows up as the source of the changes. If you don't register, it shows your IP address. If you have broadband (static IP address), this may be a privacy issue for you if you're sensitive to that.

I don't know who started the article. I made some changes to it once b/c there were some inaccuracies, but then someone wrote over them...probably the original guy got mad that someone fixed his mistakes. Like the picture of the HH with the dude's legs on each side of the opening.

Coffee
02-10-2007, 00:25
....I'm biased :p

I think I hear someone else say that around here.:rolleyes:

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 01:09
I think I hear someone else say that around here.:rolleyes:

I think you might be right :D

attroll
02-10-2007, 01:15

Yes that is the only downfall to Wiki's. If someone wanted to be hateful they could go in and edit a whole buch on stuff and it could get nasty.

titanium_hiker
02-19-2007, 02:49
edits aren't permanent, there is a roll back feature. Plus the wikipedia guys have some good rules and stay on the ball well. They also lock down controversial pages to lose the defamation.

I encourage you guys to edit it. The more people who add stuff (add more than you take away) and use the talk page, then the good stuff will be kept, and the bad stuff will go.

There used to be a hammock wiki- but it died a death from Spam. (risk's site) Wikipedia, being bigger, has protection from that kind of stuff.

TH