PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hammock Suspension Issues

Coffee
02-09-2007, 14:49
I just inspected my DIY hammock and I noticed the fabric had developed a hole in it there the larkshead knot went around the hammock.

This is the first time I used whipping instead of knotting. I only spent 2 nights in it under almost idea conditions. I only set it up once and did not move it around.

I am using the 7/64" armsteel for the whipping and the larkshead knot. The knot is right up next to the whipping. I did not notice any slipping of the whipping. It is not resting against the end seams.

I am using a nylon taffeta. I experienced a similar problem on some ripstop I was trying before. I think this is either a factor of how I am doing it or the rope I am using.

Before I was knotting the ends and using webbing without any issues.

Any thoughts?

stoikurt
02-09-2007, 14:52
Sounds like the smaller cord is concentrating the stress more than the material can handle.

Coffee
02-09-2007, 14:55
I wonder if it is the size or the stiffness. It is almost 1/8" thick. Wouldn't that the wide enough?

What are other people using?

stoikurt
02-09-2007, 15:03
I wonder if it is the size or the stiffness. It is almost 1/8" thick. Wouldn't that the wide enough?

What are other people using?

Consider the per square inch pressure put on the hammock from a 1" wide strap vs. a 1/8" cord. That's an awful lot of pressure on the hammock fabric from the small diameter cord.

headchange4u
02-09-2007, 15:29
I would say that you need to switch to either webbing or a larger diameter rope. I use 5mm climbing rope on my suspension system (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=91&c=4).

I once attached a tarp ridge line cord (the very thin Ultralight cord) through one of the sewn loops on the of my webbing straps. When I was breaking down I was taking the tarp off and I pulled the the cord through the loop and it cut the webbing like a hot knife through butter. The small diameter cord could be doing basically the same thing to the hammock.

blackbishop351
02-09-2007, 16:29
I've been using the stock HH 1/8" Spectra (or similar) for suspension attachments on my homemade hammock all along, with no problems. What are you using for the hammock body? Mine is 1.9 oz. grey (somewhat coated) ripstop from Walmart. It's got a VERY sturdy feel to it. Lighter or less durable material might be the problem. Or, like others suggested, use a larger cord or run your webbing straight to the hammock.

As a side note, I originally had my straps run straight to the hammock body with no cord in between. I switched because I didn't like the way the webbing pinched the material, and the webbing itself looked like it was too stressed when looped around itself. JMO.

stoikurt
02-09-2007, 16:35
I would say that you need to switch to either webbing or a larger diameter rope. I use 5mm climbing rope on my suspension system (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=91&c=4).

I once attached a tarp ridge line cord (the very thin Ultralight cord) through one of the sewn loops on the of my webbing straps. When I was breaking down I was taking the tarp off and I pulled the the cord through the loop and it cut the webbing like a hot knife through butter. The small diameter cord could be doing basically the same thing to the hammock.

My rope to the hammock is about the same as yours. I think it's 3/16" from West Marine rated to around 1100 pounds. 3/16" is almost the same as your 5mm (4.76 mm).

headchange4u
02-09-2007, 16:49
I remember seeing another thread where the support rope wore a hole in the hammock body. I think the pic in in the gallery somewhere.

Also, you may add a piece of webbing under the whipping like what is shown in Hogn8r's through the whip suspension (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43). That may hep to protect the hammock body.

EDIT: The pic with hole in the hammock body is in the thread link to above.

Grinder
02-09-2007, 18:07
I vote for the sheet bend knot. (Or a double if you're insecure) no whipping required.

No problems here. I slept out from October through the end of the year full time.

Try it, you'll like it.

Tom

slowhike
02-09-2007, 20:36
i wonder if jeff has seen any wear from the really small cord he's using w/ the rings?

Just Jeff
02-09-2007, 20:59
Nope - the Air Core Plus isn't stiff at all, though. That might have something to do with it. But I've used it on two hammocks and haven't noticed any wear to speak of.

I did get some wear on the supports from the Air Core 2 (really really thin stuff) that I was using for the ridgeline. I don't use that anymore...probably good for tarp tie-outs but too thin for ridgelines and not strong enough for hammock supports.

Coffee
02-10-2007, 00:16
I remember seeing another thread where the support rope wore a hole in the hammock body. I think the pic in in the gallery somewhere.

Also, you may add a piece of webbing under the whipping like what is shown in Hogn8r's through the whip suspension (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43). That may hep to protect the hammock body.

EDIT: The pic with hole in the hammock body is in the thread link to above.

Thanks for the link. I forgot about that. It was in my dark days before all my DIY binging.

Nope - the Air Core Plus isn't stiff at all, though. That might have something to do with it. But I've used it on two hammocks and haven't noticed any wear to speak of.

I did get some wear on the supports from the Air Core 2 (really really thin stuff) that I was using for the ridgeline. I don't use that anymore...probably good for tarp tie-outs but too thin for ridgelines and not strong enough for hammock supports.

I think you guys hit it pretty well. I think the stuff I am using is way to stiff. I think using a different knot will cause the same result where the force from the rope meets the material.

I am going to try to the option of putting the webbing into the whipping. This way the force will be distributed throughout the whipping instead one spot. I usually wrap the whipping around 10 times, so ideally that will give each loop 1/10 the force. I'll give it a try and let everyone know.

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 01:08
Just to play devil's advocate, I'm not convinced on the stiffness issue. Like I said, I've been using the stock 1/8" HH Spectra (VERY stiff) all along with no problems. I think it's more likely a combination of the cord diameter and the hammock material. JMO.

Coffee
02-10-2007, 02:40
Just to play devil's advocate, I'm not convinced on the stiffness issue. Like I said, I've been using the stock 1/8" HH Spectra (VERY stiff) all along with no problems. I think it's more likely a combination of the cord diameter and the hammock material. JMO.

I'll give you the hammock material. I'm starting to question it's durability over the long run. I am starting to think about going back to 1.9 oz to make sure I have something that will hold up for 180 nights in a row. I think this stuff would hold up for awhile though.

I have the spectra I cut off of my HH. Maybe I'll give it a try.

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 03:30
I'll give you the hammock material. I'm starting to question it's durability over the long run. I am starting to think about going back to 1.9 oz to make sure I have something that will hold up for 180 nights in a row. I think this stuff would hold up for awhile though.

I have the spectra I cut off of my HH. Maybe I'll give it a try.

You could try the stuff I just got too - 1/8" Spyderline from APS. 10' weighs ~ .6 oz. It seems to hold a knot just as well as the HH Spectra, but it's pretty flexible and easier to work with. I haven't tested it that much, but NCPatrick has some on his new Speer-type so we'll see how it holds up. I use their lighter stuff for my ridgeline and it's worked great.

Just Jeff
02-10-2007, 07:26
I think using a different knot will cause the same result where the force from the rope meets the material.

If your knot was putting a lot of force on one spot, where the knot rubs on the material or something, maybe a sheetbend will help...it doesn't have one single concentrated friction point like some other knots do.

slowhike
02-10-2007, 09:53

i don't know but the more i think about the stiffness thing... i'm thinking that the stiffer/more rigid rope would be more likely to allow the hammock to rotate inside the loop, when you swing back & forth.
but maybe the softer rope would just grip the hammock tightly & flex as you swing. ??? just a thought.

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 10:59
i don't know but the more i think about the stiffness thing... i'm thinking that the stiffer/more rigid rope would be more likely to allow the hammock to rotate inside the loop, when you swing back & forth.
but maybe the softer rope would just grip the hammock tightly & flex as you swing. ??? just a thought.

Oh yeah - it's definitely possible. I'm just remarking on my experience with the Hennessy stuff, which IMO is about the stiffest cord imaginable for the size. That's what I was using at Rogers too, btw - swinging back and forth was definitely an ongoing theme up there! :p

Spock
02-10-2007, 18:06
I agree with teblum, a sheetbend works fine, but if your line is slippery, wrap it around twice for a double sheet bend. This has worked for me using both braided spectra and polypro webbing. With raw spectra, definitely use the double sheetbend. My hammock is 1.1 oz ripstop and I weigh 210. My current hammock has 28 nights on the clock.

Just Jeff
02-10-2007, 18:17
Is that 1.1 oz a single or double layer?

hangnout
02-10-2007, 21:57
I am using the Amsteel on 1.9 ripstop with no problems. I really would not consider this stuff stiff at all.

Coffee
02-11-2007, 00:32
Thanks guys, I'll have to try the sheetbend knot next. I am not liking the way the webbing into the whipping is looking.