PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Hammock materials.

Aardvark
08-01-2012, 22:00
Alrighty then, everything is pushing me towards another DIY project, gonna jump the bridge. Got most of the stuff I need except the strap for the side hems, what is a good item to use? Can't seem to find mule tape in the area. Any suggestions are welcomed!

BER
08-02-2012, 00:45
I have used 3/8" polyester webbing from strapworks.com (http://www.strapworks.com/Webbing_Strapping_Narrow_Fabrics_s/20.htm). Breaking strength listed at 1500#. Multiple solid or printed colors. I know others use 1/2" webbing, and Grizz has listed his use of tubular webbing. Alternatively, one could use dynaglide or amsteel.

dandeman
08-02-2012, 01:11
hey, i have used amsteel in three bridge hammocks, and it will work fine. you can stitch right through it on the ends to anchor the material to the cord, and keep it from sliding around on you. If you plan on putting a bug net on, you should use webbing because if you use amsteel, the stitching for the bug net will be below the stress line on the fabric from the cord. the stitching attaching the bugnet to the hammock is like the micro-perforations in a spiral notebook.
Conclusion: If you do not want a bug net,use am steel. If you do, use webbing.
-dan

half-a-jeep
08-03-2012, 08:15
I've used 1" ratchet straps and 3/16" cord (two strands per side). Check out my DIY thread for more info and some pics.
(Never mind, I see you already did. I'll just leave this here for other DIY-ers.)

Jazilla
08-03-2012, 10:54
I have used muletape on 4 bridge hammocks and it works great. It comes in a different strengths and sizes. I think I currently have 1800lb size which is 1/2'' in width.

Aardvark
08-03-2012, 16:24
I have used muletape on 4 bridge hammocks and it works great. It comes in a different strengths and sizes. I think I currently have 1800lb size which is 1/2'' in width.

Where did you get your muletape? Looks like what I need....

stevebo
08-06-2012, 06:32
I just ordered some poly webbing from strapworks.com---------the prices are reasonable and shipping is only a few dollers! (I will be on the look out for some mule tape in the future)