PDA

View Full Version : All in One System vs. Separate

kyletak
08-01-2012, 22:31
I'm thinking about switching out the stock suspension on my WBBB. I was wondering if I could get some help with some pros and cons towards these two options. Please let me know what you guys think would be the best option.

Thanks!

raiffnuke
08-02-2012, 05:54
Both are great systems....here are my thoughts.

Are you a gram weenie? if so, then seperate might be your way to go.

Do you want straight forward and simple? If so, then the All-in-One is the way to go. Plus, you can't forget anything on the tree!

Do you like to tinker with your gear and try different options/new fangled gadgets (ie Dutch stuff)? Then seperate allows for all of the tinkering you want.

That is just my $.02 and doesn't really answer any questions, but it gives you something to think about.

WLMiller54
08-02-2012, 07:19
I use an all in one suspension, and recommend it. I can walk up, and hang up. My hang is dialed in, and I don't have to futz with too many adjustments.

Pros:

Easy setup
Fixed adjustment (no need to re-adjust)
Easy take down
One bag
You don't forget your straps on a tree

Cons:

Added weight of tarp tensioners
Tarp height is not adjustable
Need to place your straps high on the tree

kayak karl
08-02-2012, 08:07
i like the all-in-one in any system i use whether it is webbing or whoopie. nothing worse then leaving something behind when packing up in the dark :)

weaver2469
08-02-2012, 18:04
I think it depends on where you hang. I love the stock WBBB strap and buckle system for ease of hanging and would therefore lean to an all in one system, but if you hang where there are a lot of sticky pine trees, you have to deal with packing sticky straps back in your hammock bag. I switched to straps and whoopies just so I can pack my straps up in a small ziploc bag. I hope my memory isn't gone enough yet to forget my straps, but it seems to be getting worse every day.

SmokeBait
08-02-2012, 18:18
I'm in agreement with all of the above. For a backpacker that is trying to keep bulk and weight to a minimum, and for those that want maximum adjustment capabilities, I'd recommend separate components. For ease of use, the All In One.

kyletak
08-04-2012, 02:49
Thank you for all the quick replies! I will be sure to take everything into consideration.

Str1der
08-06-2012, 18:59
I have both, and they're both great!

All-In-One
-Generally simpler
-No need for marlin spikes or toggles
-Impossible to forget straps (it happens)
-Comes with continuous loops and an aluminum ring built in as a water stop
-Can handle virtually any tree diameter or spacing you will likely encounter

Separate Huggers and Slings
-Slightly lighter
-Huggers detach from slings (some consider this a bonus)
-Possible to mix and match different slings/huggers

PM sent also.

TheCoyote
08-15-2012, 21:20
I have a custom suspension on order. I got the idea form Blackwolf when testing out his snipe a while back. I have the the tree huger sewn around the fixed eye of the whoopie and then instead of a ring at the other end I have a dutch hook on the continual loop on the hammock. I just attach it to the adjustable end and set my adjustment.