PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea for a fairly ultralight portable hammock stand

Montalaskan
08-02-2012, 22:55
I always wonder if things we have with us are the key to a new solution.

So I have an old tent that has a lot of 12 or longer poles. What if the could be capped together at the ends and go through a space spreader bar at the bottom.

How many tent poles would we need? 4? 8? 80?

Imagine a self balancing (wide at the base) hammock stand made of tent poles.

Jazilla
08-03-2012, 10:59
Fiberglass tent pole (?) won't be strong enough to hold the hammock forces. Check out the turtlelady bamboo stand thread and the turtledog stand thread. Some great ideas in those.

Montalaskan
08-03-2012, 12:12
Fiberglass tent pole (?) won't be strong enough to hold the hammock forces. Check out the turtlelady bamboo stand thread and the turtledog stand thread. Some great ideas in those.

Definitely wouldn't work with fiberglass. I was thinking more aluminum or carbon.

I'm not thinking in terms of this (crude ASCII diagram time, side view):

|––====––|

But more along the lines of the poles being full length and arched, where they have more strength than straight.

What I was picturing is more of a banana shape from the poles - with them gathered at the ends but separated at the middles. Obviously, you'd have to have guy lines to help hold it in an arch, too.

Think Aussie Anchor but with tent poles making an arch instead of a hinged "v" shape.

Like I said, crazy idea. :)

peteypk
08-03-2012, 12:22
If I understand you correctly, is this, conceptually, what you are "imagineering"?
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37964&d=1344014486

Montalaskan
08-03-2012, 12:30
If I understand you correctly, is this, conceptually, what you are "imagineering"?
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37964&d=1344014486

No, not quite, but sort of. The shape is what I am imagining, but it needs something in the middle of the poles to help create an arch, otherwise it looks like that might create a fairly good slap in the back though, unless the ridgeline is really strong. SLING SHOT! WEEEEEE!

Montalaskan
08-03-2012, 13:04
Of course the easiest solution would be some of Jack's magic beans to throw in the ground and grow a huge bean stalk in two places.

Manchego
08-03-2012, 13:18
Of course the easiest solution would be some of Jack's magic beans to throw in the ground and grow a huge bean stalk in two places.

See, my crazy idea would be to take some carbon fabric....a few 2x2's...and some shrink wrap fabric. Basically, encapsulate the 2x2's use them as a form for the carbon, give it a couple layers like you're building up an ultralight craft. Then, slide it out.

Thinking it would probably have to have an open joint on one side, though, to allow it to come out, otherwise it would bind. Anyway, cut ends square, insert 2x2's glued in and screwed if you want, attach turtledog hardware, and let the carbon shafts carry the weight but have the wood to attach to and cut for the floor in case you're inside.

I figure it's unnecessarily complicating things.

the_gr8t_waldo
08-03-2012, 13:56
crazy or not, i would model the proposed set up first. aluminum=soda straws maybe? there's a lot of forces laying to bite the unaware hammocker. but there's no load that can't be conquered either!- just have to do some creative engeenering.

Montalaskan
08-03-2012, 15:29
crazy or not, i would model the proposed set up first. aluminum=soda straws maybe? there's a lot of forces laying to bite the unaware hammocker. but there's no load that can't be conquered either!- just have to do some creative engeenering.

I was going to draw something up in Illustrator but work got busy and then Illustrator crashed.

I don't think it's realistic anyway because tent poles stressed would be pretty painful if one of them broke and hit you. They are good for holding up a tent and putting tension on fabric, but the way I was thinking about would be akin to stretching a bow - with you as the arrow. :)

TL;DR : It's crazy because there are better and safer solutions. Like trees!

WVassello
08-24-2012, 11:19
Davigilante,
I went down this road some time ago and even modeled a few unique suspensions in CAD. What I determined before I got busy with other projects was 2 things.
1. You have to put your support poles in as much direct compression loading as possible. That is the only way to avoid the bending forces that will require far too heavy a beam. I came across this tensegrity model image that is an interesting way to accomplish the same goal. My method was to angle the bottom of the support poles to nearly the hanging angle of the hammock. I will dig up the CAD models and attach a few images of my thoughts.

2. The downward force of gravity can be transfered to the poles or supports in plenty of ways, but the real design killer is the compressive component that pulls the poles inward. This comes down to your connection to the earth. I modeled up a few senerios that use a combination of ground stakes, with a common ring connection, and suspension lines that reroute the pulling force to the bottom of the support poles at the ground. (this way, the heavier the load, the more force it applies to ground stake below the pole)
I have attached a few images from other contributors to this site (sorry guys, I don't recall from whom I snagged these)
From the one image you see a close example of the common ring connection idea. And from the other you can see that some of the suspension lines are redirected down the base of the poles at ground level.

The only other issue I recall pondering is the height required to actually keep the hammock off the ground. This will quickly determine the pole lengths.

WVassello
08-24-2012, 13:18
Here are some images from a CAD model I roughed out for a treeless suspension.
Blue line is horizontal to ground
Green are suspension lines and one for the hammock line
Gray are support poles (for scale, the poles are 45" long)
Red are ground stakes
Orange is a metal ring

Line setup is just an educated WAG at the locations.

Thoughts anyone?

jordo_99
08-24-2012, 15:15
Is this the idea:

The poles are not free-standing but the base is held in place by stakes....the poles then are free to tilt at any angle...at this point, when attaching the hammock the ridgeline would keep the poles from collapsing to the ground...when weight is put in the hammock the sag is made, the poles lift up until they are caught by the guy lines.

In theory it should work...just need to be sure the poles are long enough to give it some height to allow for the hammock to sag a bit and the stakes will have to be pretty sturdy (I think you'll need titanium or stainless "sand stakes" for them to handle the pulling forces at an angle...I have doubts that cylindrical tent stakes would be enough...maybe the heavy duty ones but I think snow/sand stakes that are V shaped would be better)

ninjahamockman
08-24-2012, 17:01
what if you did some bipod stuff with the polls.

WVassello
08-24-2012, 21:56
Jordo, you've got the idea. The premise is that you can transfer some of the weight of the occupant down to the ground stake and to make use of that additional weight to help anchor the system that maintains the tension. I'm not sure what the best way to run the lines is yet. Maybe it is from the pole top through the ring to the outer anchor. Maybe it is individual lengths that help keep the ratios such that the lines pull more along the ground than up out of the ground. Still working out the concept.