PDA

View Full Version : JRB Quilts

Dmanhiker
09-20-2008, 23:32
Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew when/if JRB has their sales during the year. Right now I'm interested in the no sniveller or possibly the 3 season quilt set. However the prices are a bit more than what I want to spend right now. I've seen recently they have the mt washington on sale, but I just don't need that big of a quilt for hiking the AT in the shoulder seasons.

I have a HH ULBA and right now I have rei's travel sack rated at 55*. I used it on my hike this spring with a windshield screen and a lot of warm clothing, but was way too cold to be comfortable.

Thanks in advance...

-Dman

slowhike
09-21-2008, 05:58
I've seen several sales at JRB. Don't know when the next one will be though.
Maybe they'll have one for some of the holiday seasons coming up???
Welcome to HF.

Kanguru
09-21-2008, 08:31
Next time I order something I'll contact you. They always start a sale just after my purchase. :confused:

kayak karl
09-21-2008, 08:39
Next time I order something I'll contact you. They always start a sale just after my purchase. :confused:
Ain't that the truth:D

*HangMan*
09-21-2008, 10:32
Dman, The Winter Nest is on sale right now. I just bought one. Darn good deal IMO.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Winter%20Nest.htm

Regular Price: $349.95
INTRODUCTORY SALE PRICE: $299.95

Dmanhiker
09-21-2008, 13:05
Thanks for the welcome Slowhike! HF has been a great resource for hiking with my hammock.

Dman, The Winter Nest is on sale right now. I just bought one. Darn good deal IMO.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Winter%20Nest.htm

Regular Price: $349.95
INTRODUCTORY SALE PRICE: $299.95

Thanks for the heads up on nest sale Gadgeteer.

Can anyone speak from experience about the JRB 3 season hammock quilt set? I'm not sure if I could get away with just the no sniveller and my 55* bag .

Just Jeff
09-21-2008, 13:56
Here's (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Quilts%20and%20Blankets/Jacks%20R%20Better%20Hammock%20Quilt%20Set/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jeff%20Jackson/) my BGT review of it.

Dmanhiker
09-21-2008, 14:00
Here's (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Quilts%20and%20Blankets/Jacks%20R%20Better%20Hammock%20Quilt%20Set/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jeff%20Jackson/) my BGT review of it.

Man I wish the MSRP was still $395! Have they added to the quality of the quilts or have they just upped the prices the past year or two?

FanaticFringer
09-21-2008, 14:07
You cant go wrong getting the No Sniveller. The ability to wear it around camp is a big bonus. I have both the Nest and NS. Great quilts.:shades: Welcome to the site.

Smee
09-21-2008, 14:52
We have sales on different items throughout the year. Our biggest sales event occurs during Trail Days when nearly everything is marked down. Our other annual event is a pre Christmas sale when all of our accessory items are marked down. Besides those two events we don't pre-plan our sales so we can't tell you what's going to be on sale when. Keep checking the web site. Your best bet for the Nest or No Sniveller quilts is probably Trail Days.

We currently have two winter quilts with nice mark downs. The Winter Nest and the new Mt Washington.

Regards,

Dmanhiker
09-21-2008, 15:38
We have sales on different items throughout the year. Our biggest sales event occurs during Trail Days when nearly everything is marked down. Our other annual event is a pre Christmas sale when all of our accessory items are marked down. Besides those two events we don't pre-plan our sales so we can't tell you what's going to be on sale when. Keep checking the web site. Your best bet for the Nest or No Sniveller quilts is probably Trail Days.

We currently have two winter quilts with nice mark downs. The Winter Nest and the new Mt Washington.

Regards,

Thanks Smee. Your products sounds great. I can't wait to try them out! So Trail Days will be going on sometime mid May in 2009?

Lorethian
09-21-2008, 15:58
I love my quilt set. You cant go wrong with JRB.

*HangMan*
09-21-2008, 16:04
Thanks Smee. Your products sounds great. I can't wait to try them out! So Trail Days will be going on sometime mid May in 2009?

Thur. May 14 thru Sat. May 16 I believe

Just Jeff
09-21-2008, 16:20
Man I wish the MSRP was still $395! Have they added to the quality of the quilts or have they just upped the prices the past year or two?

I can't speak for JRB, but my quilts are from 2004. I know down prices have increased since then, and pretty sure the prices have gone up on some of the other raw materials. My quilts were made before they overstuff was standard, so there's more increase in price.

JRB was also pretty new at that time so there wasn't as much demand for their products...as their name and reputation for quality grew, demand has grown for their products. Not sure how much impact this has had on their prices...subcontracting their sewing, for example.

*HangMan*
09-28-2008, 14:15
Just purchased and tested the Winter Nest the past 2 evenings with temps around 47f - 52F. Man I was toasty warm.

Take-a-knee
09-28-2008, 16:00
I love my quilt set. You cant go wrong with JRB.

I agree, they are hard to beat, I just wish they'd offer a more subdued UQ, I've actually grown to like the color on my No Sniveler, it just makes for a less than stealthy campsite (the emerald green Nest, that is). They HAVE started to offer subdued tarps, and kudos to them for that, the tarp being even more visible.

Just Jeff
09-28-2008, 16:08
I bet olive drab or similar No Snivelers would sell like crazy. Less distinctive trademark, though...everybody knows it's a JRB when they see that green.

koaloha05
10-05-2008, 22:24
Night temps this weekend dropped down to the upper 30's and low 40's. Need some colder nights to find out my personal low end for the JRB combo of Mt.Washington as an underquilt and Nest as the top quilt. I'm a cold sleeper that was toasty warm even during last nights breezy no tarp hang.

For whatever reason I'm liking the emerald green more every night. Need to "hide" or be more discreet there is the tarp.

Oak
10-11-2008, 09:10
Gadgeteer,
I too just purchased a winter nest. Last night was my first night of use, with temps about 45. I'm using this on a HH and I'm hoping you can answer a question about the entrance slit.

Do you attach the Nest omni tape to the velcro of the HH, and if so, what keeps top quilt or feet or anything from slipping out of the slit since it can no longer be fastened closed?

Thanks,
Oak

Just Jeff
10-11-2008, 09:32
The HH slit will stay closed just from your weight...the velcro doesn't do much when you're in the hammock. It certainly wouldn't keep your feet inside if you push on the slit.

I usually attach the Nest velcro to the HH velcro...helps with the fit, IMO. But it's certainly not necessary.

Oak
10-11-2008, 14:17
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try tonight, then it's off to the Moose River Monday.:D

Oak

*HangMan*
10-12-2008, 14:04
Oak sorry for the late reply. If you use just the Winter Nest by itself, you will get a draft from the entrance slit. Even with the weight of your legs sealing the enterance, it still has a cold area from draft. I highly recommend the 7oz. Weather Shield:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Weather%20Shield%20T2.htm

It protects your quilt and what I did was unclip one of the biners to exit Hammock and once inside, sit up and reclamp. This insures that you will not have any drafts coming though at all. It works great!

Gadgeteer,
I too just purchased a winter nest. Last night was my first night of use, with temps about 45. I'm using this on a HH and I'm hoping you can answer a question about the entrance slit.

Do you attach the Nest omni tape to the velcro of the HH, and if so, what keeps top quilt or feet or anything from slipping out of the slit since it can no longer be fastened closed?

Thanks,
Oak

Peter_pan
10-12-2008, 14:36
Oak sorry for the late reply. If you use just the Winter Nest by itself, you will get a draft from the entrance slit. Even with the weight of your legs sealing the enterance, it still has a cold area from draft. I highly recommend the 7oz. Weather Shield:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Weather%20Shield%20T2.htm

It protects your quilt and what I did was unclip one of the biners to exit Hammock and once inside, sit up and reclamp. This insures that you will not have any drafts coming though at all. It works great!

Gadgeteer, oak, et al,

Best way to eliminate any draft ie to close the Nest or Winter Nest slit on itself then enter and exit as you do any rectangular under quilt. (Approach from the right side foot end , with left hand push the quilt down and to the left until the HH slit is exposed... get in like normal, when you lift your legs in the UQ will return aotomatically to the propper position, as long as you are using the JRB Suspension system)

If you choose to also use the WS2 it should be clipped to the same suspension system and works in the same manner... Thus it should not require unclipping anything.

Pan

Take-a-knee
10-12-2008, 14:45
Gadgeteer, oak, et al,

Best way to eliminate any draft ie to close the Nest or Winter Nest slit on itself then enter and exit as you do any rectangular under quilt. (Approach from the right side foot end , with left hand push the quilt down and to the left until the HH slit is exposed... get in like normal, when you lift your legs in the UQ will return aotomatically to the propper position, as long as you are using the JRB Suspension system)

If you choose to also use the WS2 it should be clipped to the same suspension system and works in the same manner... Thus it should not require unclipping anything.

Pan

I know you guys invented the thing but I disagree. That free magic on the Nest is what makes it superior. Leave it mated and use a short mat over the slit, a Gossamer Gear evazote pad weighs mere ounces and you need a sit pad anyway so its' weight isn't an issue. That velcro is what eliminates "butt sag/cold butt" syndrome. Unlike any other quilt, if you do feel a cold spot during the night, you can reach down and shift that velcro to snug it up and eliminate a cold spot. If you use a Hennessy, you need a Nest.

Half Step
10-12-2008, 15:31
I bet olive drab or similar No Snivelers would sell like crazy. Less distinctive trademark, though...everybody knows it's a JRB when they see that green.

I could live with "that green" . . . if I could just afford it! :D

Ook ook!
Mal/HS

Oak
10-12-2008, 17:08
Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting it together. Last night I was in my HH with the Winter Nest and temps got to about 35 with no problem, using the Omni-Tape mated with the hammock's velcro. Right now, I'm using a sleeping bag as a top quilt, and the foot box of the bag is doing a good job of masking any cold spot that may be there.
I'm trying to get some money together for a bigger tarp, so I'm going to make the nest work by itself. I don't think I'll have any problems. The first night was a bit chilly, but yesterday I had my wife get into the hammock while I made a couple of adjustments and last night was really nice.

Oak

*HangMan*
10-12-2008, 21:01

Pan

I'm still a rookie at this new quilt, but I did try this method and I just couldn't manuver out of the hammock as easy as when I unclipped the left loop of the WS2. I'll try again next time.

koaloha05
10-12-2008, 22:29
Personal preference is the method Pan outlined. I pack the Nest separate from the hammock. Simpler & quicker than having to mess around with the Omni.

Take-a-knee
10-12-2008, 22:41
Personal preference is the method Pan outlined. I pack the Nest separate from the hammock. Simpler & quicker than having to mess around with the Omni.

I leave it in place, all properly adjusted, velcro'ed, then stuff it all into a Black Bishop Sack. A minimum of fuss.

koaloha05
10-13-2008, 21:12
I leave it in place, all properly adjusted, velcro'ed, then stuff it all into a Black Bishop Sack. A minimum of fuss.

What size Black Bishop Sack? Plans are to sew a modified BBS. The double sided cordlock style. Max stuffed size of 7 x 18". It could then be lashed where I use to carry the pad. Be nice to stuff hammock, WS and Nest all together in one package.

2Questions
10-13-2008, 21:33
Pan,
The Hudson River I have for my HH is black inside. If I sewed additional loops/hooks in the right places, I could flip it over and have the black side out, right? Not that I mind the green all that much, but the comments by some who don't care for the green made me think of this workaround. Is the material the same, just a different color. Is there any loss in function?

Take-a-knee
10-13-2008, 21:52
What size Black Bishop Sack? Plans are to sew a modified BBS. The double sided cordlock style. Max stuffed size of 7 x 18". It could then be lashed where I use to carry the pad. Be nice to stuff hammock, WS and Nest all together in one package.

An 8 x 20in stuffsack holds a Hennessy ULBP and the Nest very well, it is still "maleable" in that size sack so you can stuff it into a compactor bag in your pack. If you want to be able to store a No Sniveler in there also you'll need a larger BB sack.

Take-a-knee
10-13-2008, 21:55
Pan,
The Hudson River I have for my HH is black inside. If I sewed additional loops/hooks in the right places, I could flip it over and have the black side out, right? Not that I mind the green all that much, but the comments by some who don't care for the green made me think of this workaround. Is the material the same, just a different color. Is there any loss in function?

I've only tried this in the backyard, so I don't know how it'll affect the Nest's warmth. The Nest has the freemagic/velcro on the black side, so when you hang it black side out you have to invert the velcro strip to mate it. The side pullouts are reversed but you don't really need them in the cold anyway.

Peter_pan
10-14-2008, 00:56
Pan,

2Q,et al,

Short answer is yes.... that would make it reversible....no loss of function... all JRB quilt material is DWR.

Pan

Peter_pan
10-14-2008, 01:11
I know you guys invented the thing but I disagree. That free magic on the Nest is what makes it superior. Leave it mated and use a short mat over the slit, a Gossamer Gear evazote pad weighs mere ounces and you need a sit pad anyway so its' weight isn't an issue. That velcro is what eliminates "butt sag/cold butt" syndrome. Unlike any other quilt, if you do feel a cold spot during the night, you can reach down and shift that velcro to snug it up and eliminate a cold spot. If you use a Hennessy, you need a Nest.

TAK, et al,

What you describe is also a great solution....

Brings up a related point....elimination of air pocket that sometimes forms under the legs.

This is normally not an issue for the JRB Nest or JRB Winter Nest...However in April 2008 all Nests and WN received a change mod to add a third suspension point on the foot end. There is a modification kit for all earlier model Nests available from JRB for FREE.... see details here... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm This mod was demoed at Trail Days with considerable number of early model Nest owners picking them up at TD.

NOTE, This mod also works for any JRB 48inch width quilt....If your legs are considerably lighter than your upper body you may find you sometimes experiance the air pocket under the legs; if so, this modification will eliminate this issue....Again, it is FREE to JRB quilt owners.

Pan

Dmanhiker
10-14-2008, 16:55
Hey everyone,

Well I think I've decided on getting the JRB No Sniveller as my underquilt and the Western Mountaineering Summerlite (full Zip) as my top quilt. This is looking like the most versatile set up as well as the best bang for my buck.

Take-a-knee
10-14-2008, 17:11
Hey everyone,

Well I think I've decided on getting the JRB No Sniveller as my underquilt and the Western Mountaineering Summerlite (full Zip) as my top quilt. This is looking like the most versatile set up as well as the best bang for my buck.

I don't understand your rationale for the Summerlite, it is a conventional bag. If you are going to use it as a quilt, just get a quilt. If you want a bag to use in a hammock, then get a Feathered Friends Rock Wren (The bottom opening makes entrance and exit much easier, ESP in a Hennessy)

Here's the ultimate setup, IMO:

JRB 3-Season Set for, well, three seasons, add the JRB hood or a synthetic balaclava.

JRB Winter Nest ( for a hennessy) and a Feathered Friends Winter Wren, ordered with 2-3oz overstuff and a 50in or longer zipper to enable it's use as a quilt 'cause it'll be TOO WARM many nights.

You'd be out some change but you'd be warm in any conditions above zero.

*HangMan*
10-14-2008, 17:32
Pan,

Pan, this sounds familiar... :D

Hey everyone,

Dman, you can't go wrong with JRB anything. I have a Winter Nest and a WM Megalite bag. Just unzip your Summerlite and use as topquilt, just keep the last 1/4th zipped for footbox. Be prepared to have a full pack. The incredible loft of the JRB quilt and WM bag take up alot of room!

Dmanhiker
12-12-2008, 07:39
Well, I took the plunge this past weekend. The deal was just too good at $200 for the no sniveller! I set it up last night on my ulb hennessy. I rigged it as my underquilt and used my newly acquired (early christmas present) WM Ultralite as my top quilt ;).

The first hours in the hammock were luxurious and I was toasty warm. However, in the early morning hours I got a slight chill on my feet. It bothered me so much I decided to crawl in my bag and zip it up. This helped to seal in all my warmth and allowed me to stick it out till morning. I think the problem may have been that the way i rigged the hammock made me slide more towards the foot end and that I just needed to move the uq closer to that end. The temps reached roughly 35 last night although the low was suppose to be 31 so that estimate may be a little off.

Can someone please tell me how to tighten the suspension cords to allow uq to hang closer to one end. I've read that you just tighten the knot around the hammock end but I'm not sure what exactly that entails.

What I wore last night: heavyweight balaclava, Hot Chilly's thermal top, cotton sweatpants, and synthetic ankle socks.

Peter_pan
12-13-2008, 13:24
Well, I took the plunge this past weekend. The deal was just too good at $200 for the no sniveller! I set it up last night on my ulb hennessy. I rigged it as my underquilt and used my newly acquired (early christmas present) WM Ultralite as my top quilt ;).

The first hours in the hammock were luxurious and I was toasty warm. However, in the early morning hours I got a slight chill on my feet. It bothered me so much I decided to crawl in my bag and zip it up. This helped to seal in all my warmth and allowed me to stick it out till morning. I think the problem may have been that the way i rigged the hammock made me slide more towards the foot end and that I just needed to move the uq closer to that end. The temps reached roughly 35 last night although the low was suppose to be 31 so that estimate may be a little off.

Can someone please tell me how to tighten the suspension cords to allow uq to hang closer to one end. I've read that you just tighten the knot around the hammock end but I'm not sure what exactly that entails.

What I wore last night: heavyweight balaclava, Hot Chilly's thermal top, cotton sweatpants, and synthetic ankle socks.

Dmanhiker,

To off-set a UQ slide the SS cinch to the outboard end of the Hammock suspension on the end you wish to cheat too....Then move the opposite SS cinch toward the hammock a similiar distance.

NOW... The real point is don't move the UQ....Learn to hang the foot end high enough that you are level at rest and do not slide.....Your hammock hang is the problem not the UQ location.

Pan

Just Jeff
12-13-2008, 16:40
Dman - your center of gravity is in your chest, and in a hammock the center of gravity tends towards the lowest point. This means that if you hang your hammock level, your chest will slide toward where your butt is, pushing your feet into the end of your hammock. Remedy this by hanging your foot end ~6" higher than the head end (actual distance varies by individual)...this will keep your center of gravity where it needs to be.

Another reason for cold feet is wind blowing across the top of your feet, since they're often the most exposed part of your body/quilt/bag. Wear booties, block the wind with a tarp, choose a more sheltered location, get a hammock sock, or suck it up. :jj: Personally, I like exposed sites with no tarps for the views, so I either use the hammock sock or I suck it up.

Dmanhiker
12-13-2008, 17:17
Dmanhiker,

To off-set a UQ slide the SS cinch to the outboard end of the Hammock suspension on the end you wish to cheat too....Then move the opposite SS cinch toward the hammock a similiar distance.

NOW... The real point is don't move the UQ....Learn to hang the foot end high enough that you are level at rest and do not slide.....Your hammock hang is the problem not the UQ location.

Pan

Thanks for the advice Pan, I'm going to re-rig the hammock tonight and try again. The lows tonight are looking to be right around 30 degrees. I really like the underquilt, before I got it, I would never have slept outside in these temperatures. Now I can sleep outside and be comfortable!