PDA

View Full Version : BIAS tarp questions

Subsammich
08-05-2012, 23:30
I'm working with Adam and Jenny on a tarp for my hammock.
I'm trying to be as weight conscious as possible, but like others, not sacrificing comfort.
This will be used on the entire AT.

Would a 9 foot ridgeline for the tarp be adequate?
Or will I need more being my hammock is 11'.

Ill do my fair share of research when I get back to a desktop, but hf search Hates my iPhone.

If there is a thread that has already answered my questions, feel free to post it and I'll do the reading.

angrysparrow
08-05-2012, 23:34
You tarp has to be at least as long as your hammock (assuming that you want to stay dry), and preferrably a little longer to give some overlap.

Why BIAS in the title? Adam and Jenny are Hammock Gear (HG).

Subsammich
08-05-2012, 23:38
Because I'm using a bias WWM. And the tarp question is relevant to what hammock I'm using.
I thought at least.
Appreciate the fast response.

SwinginIt
08-05-2012, 23:40
You tarp has to be at least as long as your hammock (assuming that you want to stay dry), and preferrably a little longer to give some overlap.

Why BIAS in the title? Adam and Jenny are Hammock Gear (HG).

I think he's asking that because he uses a BIAS hammock.

Subsammich
08-05-2012, 23:43
So in conclusion. I need at least as long as my hammock, which makes sense. I just didn't know of there was something I was missing for the length because going 9ft vs 11ft would be a decent savings in weight. But if I'll be soaked by rain, then obviously it's not worth it.

Sorry for the stupid question. Again thanks for the fast responses.

SwinginIt
08-06-2012, 00:05
I have the same hammock and an 11' tarp. I've only had it set up in the yard in dry conditions so far but it seems to have ample coverage. A 9' tarp would definitely not be enough coverage.

spaceweaseal
08-06-2012, 00:25
I have the BIAS hammocks and I have my ridge line set at 109".
A 9' ridge line on a tarp just won't cut it. A 11' tarp works in fair weather but I prefer my 12' tarp.

DemostiX
08-06-2012, 00:26
I regularly use a tarp that is shorter than my hammock without problem. That's because I bring the foot end of the tarp down toward the hammock and center the tarp carefully, because the hammock in use is only 5/6 its length, and because there are DWR fabric hoods over the hammock ends. Some side-blow water falling on the ends does not get channeled into the hammock.

Methinks more folks going for very long hammocks should think of lightweight DWR fabric hoods, maybe as part of DIY bug nets and at least for the foot ends if they think such hoods too enclosing for the head end. A hood sheltering two feet of hammock may require no more than 1/3 yd sq of fabric, if you are calculating weight.

SilvrSurfr
08-06-2012, 00:43
I wouldn't think of going shorter than the standard ridgeline length of a HG 4S or Hex Cuben Fiber Tarp (10 ft. 10 inch or 130 inches).

Your Weight Weenie Micro is 11 ft. long (132 inches), and if your ridgeline is fixed at the traditional 83%, then that puts your hammock length at 109.56 inches. That leaves about 10 inches on each end for coverage.

Keep in mind that you'll have continuous loops or something through the channels that will add maybe 10 inches to the length of your hammock.

I have a BIAS DL and it's the same length as your WWM.

Subsammich
08-06-2012, 01:54
I think if I do a standard 10' 10" I'll be alright.

I'm using whoopies on my WWM, going through channel, so I don't think the extra 10" or so you mentioned at the end of your post is going to effect me?

I could be wrong :lol:

SilvrSurfr
08-06-2012, 02:02
I think if I do a standard 10' 10" I'll be alright.

I'm using whoopies on my WWM, going through channel, so I don't think the extra 10" or so you mentioned at the end of your post is going to effect me?

I could be wrong :lol:

I think you're right. I've got continuous loops going through my channels. I thought about taking a whoopie through the channel, but I wanted to use Dutch Whoopie Hooks. I like the ability to disconnect the hammock and keep it separate from the suspension.

I am currently testing shorter Dynaglide continuous loops through the channels. I started with a 21-inch length and 4-inch buries. I stitched the locked brummel. So far, three nights sleeping in it and I'm not on the ground.

Subsammich
08-06-2012, 02:42
Sounds pretty awesome!

Here's a random question you can probably answer.
When I'm suspended in the hammock, my toggles turn almost Perpindicular to the ground.
My whoopie stays around the knot, but is there something I'm doing wrong causing that?

Oper8or
08-06-2012, 09:19
Sounds pretty awesome!

When I'm suspended in the hammock, my toggles turn almost Perpindicular to the ground.
My whoopie stays around the knot, but is there something I'm doing wrong causing that?

I've noticed the same thing with my GTS. I was concerned at first, but figured that it didnt matter which way the toggle spun as long as it was on the knot it wouldnt slip. I hope someone else give feed back on this because it would be nice to know if we should worry or not. I'm assuming we shouldnt, but my assumptions are at best worth a pile of cow pie most of the time.

gordonfreeman
08-06-2012, 09:46
So in conclusion. I need at least as long as my hammock, which makes sense. I just didn't know of there was something I was missing for the length because going 9ft vs 11ft would be a decent savings in weight. But if I'll be soaked by rain, then obviously it's not worth it.

Sorry for the stupid question. Again thanks for the fast responses.

You using the included ridgeline? It's shorter than 11ft, I can measure mine when I get home.

Rolloff
08-06-2012, 10:01
AHE's Sale has the Toxaways for 80 bucks.

12' RL Full Hex Cat cut. Fits my WW like it was made for it. 14 oz.

That may have something to do with formally using a tent rain fly for coverage, but these tarps are made with hammocks in mind.

neo
08-06-2012, 11:07
i have a adustable ridge line on my bias micro wt.weanie.i absolutely hated it set at 9 ft on the ridge line but love it set at 10 ft,but i use a toxaway 12 ft long tarp:cool:neo

SilvrSurfr
08-06-2012, 13:08
Sounds pretty awesome!

Structurally, it's fine, but I don't like when it does that. I'll spend five minutes fiddling with the tree strap or Marlin Spike Hitch just so the toggle stays parallel to the ground, and perfectly perpendicular to the hammock.

I definitely prefer Dutch Buckles to toggles. They stay on the strap so you don't lose them, and there's a piece of shock cord to keep the whoopie from coming off the buckle.

raiffnuke
08-06-2012, 13:09
Structurally, it's fine, but I don't like when it does that. I'll spend five minutes fiddling with the tree strap or Marlin Spike Hitch just so the toggle stays parallel to the ground, and perfectly perpendicular to the hammock.

I definitely prefer Dutch Buckles to toggles. They stay on the strap so you don't lose them, and there's a piece of shock cord to keep the whoopie from coming off the buckle.

+1. Dutch Buckles are the way to go! At least for me they are.:rolleyes: