PDA

View Full Version : Sewing and Sealed Seams

KMACK
08-06-2012, 09:10
I want to sew in a small hang loop in the center ridge of my tarp. Problem is that it is seam sealed...can I sew right through the sealed seam or will that gum up my machine?

Pag
08-06-2012, 10:10
Most likely if it will gum up anything it'll be the needle, but to be safe I'd pu the sealed side up to prevent it from hitting the hook. Is the loop worth the $0.15 for a new needle?

DemostiX
08-06-2012, 10:25
I don't think Sailrite is misleading when they say they sell a terrific amount of sticky two-sided seam tape / transfer tape. They also recommend ways of lubricating and cleaning the needle that has to sew through it. Same recommendations appear in canvas worker books I've been studying.

But, rather than learn how seam sealer behaves differently on a sewing machine needle than with that specialty tape, I would just sew the loop by hand with a few stitches. All in less time it than it took to read expert and amateur advice, respectively.

Ramblinrev
08-06-2012, 11:52
Either by hand or be machine you will want to reseal the area. It all depends on which is easier given the expanse of fabric you are dealing with. Your call.

Jburke1
08-07-2012, 00:10
Probly if you use some sort of lubrication it would work out

docmusolf
08-08-2012, 10:17
I have sewn a lot of taped seams in the past. It will gum up the needle but not the machine. It usually just balls up above the highest point of penetration. once you sew on the handle just re-real the area and all should be good to go.

raiffnuke
08-08-2012, 10:19
Some of this to lubricate the needle and thread may help.

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/images/ProductImages/notions/sewersaids/sewers-aid.jpg

gmcttr
08-08-2012, 15:08
If you're talking about a sewn seam with seam sealer applied to the surface, I wouldn't think you would have a problem given the small amount of stitching involved and the fact that there is not an adhesive involved.