PDA

View Full Version : Using pads with hard plastic valves...

jeffjenn
09-22-2008, 19:42
Are there any issues with using a pad like a thermarest with the hard plasic air valve. This question is largely geared toward double bottom hammocks. It seems the valve could puncture the hammock when under load. Has anyone had any issues like this?

Just Jeff
09-22-2008, 19:55
Never had an issue with my inflatables. Used the thermarest a handful of times, couple times in a two-layer, and used the Exped Downmat 7 lots of times but never in a two-layer. The valve shouldn't put any pressure on the hammock unless you're laying on it...and that wouldn't be very comfortable so you'd probably wake up. Under normal hammocking conditions, I wouldn't expect any issues.

canoebie
09-23-2008, 06:15
Are there any issues with using a pad like a thermarest with the hard plasic air valve. This question is largely geared toward double bottom hammocks. It seems the valve could puncture the hammock when under load. Has anyone had any issues like this?

My wife and I have been using thermarest pads in our claytors almost every night since mid May. No issues at all. I keep the valve at the foot end.

Miguel
09-23-2008, 10:59
No probs with the valves. I did rip the top layer of my Claytor once by wearing pants with a zipper in them. My wife patched it and all has been well. Be careful with what you wear....no sharp edges allowed.

Miguel