PDA

View Full Version : Lawson Hammock keeps getting better and better

BackPackHiker
08-07-2012, 10:38
Ok so I tested out the Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock again last weekend and it is awesome. Really comfortable and soooo much space! I always hear this hammock is not stable but I tied out the corners, as this is an option, and you can literally jump around in the thing without tiping. Also you can adjust each individual rope in the suspension to find you sweet spot in the hammock, which is great in terms of customization.

I thought at first that it would do terribly in the rain. It didn't rain but I hosed it down for about a minute or two straight on the top and it didn't leak through and I also set it up as a bivy and hosed under it for about 3 minutes, climbed in and no water. There is a couple of seems that I would put some waterproof tape on but that is it. Also I need a downpoor to test it out but the nylon rops get saterated in water, I think it would be fine as there is a drip off point but I would like to see how this effects the hammock. Everytime I found a weakness it turned out to be fine. Great hammock, I plan to use it more. I am in the middle of editing the video but I will post it as soon as I am done.
:thumbup:

ibgary
09-09-2012, 18:44
I've been playing with the setup also. The more I play with it the mire I like it. I changed out the nylon cords for some 1 mil dynema. It's lighter and much smaller. I'm not worried about any breakage with 10 cords on each end. I also resolved the issue stability. It's the bomb.

Mule
09-09-2012, 19:17
I have one in my garage that a good friend gave me. We set it up and dried everything to make it work. We could not lay in it without having to lay exactly centered and could not move. We staked it down, but the stakes would not hold it. Then finally one of the ropes broke. He was going to replace it but gave up and gave it to me.

brotherjohn
09-13-2012, 16:01
I just bought a "Kamp-Rite" version of this and joined this site because of this thread...Meijer online has them for $106 and if you put "homefree" in the code they'll knock off up to $20 for shipping...$114 to my door..not trying to spam just help out...

Chris48559
09-13-2012, 17:43
Looking forward to the video, this might be my next purchase, thanks for the review!

brotherjohn
09-20-2012, 14:16
Mine just came today...after my granddaughters therapy we're headin' to the park!

BackPackHiker
11-27-2012, 11:26
Mine just came today...after my granddaughters therapy we're headin' to the park!

Did you get to try it out? How did you like it?

ny700
04-15-2013, 18:01
Any body with the lawsn have isue with rain getting in with the supplied cover or did you ditch it for a more traditional tarp. Looking at possibly getting out this weekend and expecting some seriouse rain

katydid
04-17-2013, 15:10
I have had mine for 2 months now. Slept outdoors at least 10 times since the beginning of Feb. With a thermarest pad underneath,easily warm down to 25 F. As far as rain goes,if set up properly,I have slept in 3 DOWNPOURS so far,and not ONE leak. I absolutely love this thing.:

TZ75man
06-03-2013, 10:17
How did you tie out the corners?

ibgary
06-06-2013, 07:50
I tied mine out from the last grommet hole to a tent stake about 3' away. Same on the other side. Head end. Didn't bother with the foot.

Trailuser
06-08-2013, 06:19
My friend slept in one, he seemed pretty happy except for a cold back. I thought it was a little heavy for a single layer.

ibgary
06-21-2013, 22:35
I just got back from a 4 night outing. I took the Blue Ridge and the Dangerbird. I discovered that the Arrowhead equipment 3/4 underquilt, fits the Lawson perfectly. My daughter slept in it with no problems at all. I used it the second night. Very stable and warm with the cover on. It more like a small bed than a hammock.

ibgary
06-24-2013, 07:48
I just watched parts 1&2 of the bridge hammock battle. I think the LBR, being wider is more comfortable. Its raised bug net allows me to sit up in it without hitting the bug net, but I'm only ~5'8". It also has its own rain fly.
I hope it will get a review also. It's neither a bridge or a gathered end.

bambie
07-04-2013, 08:05
Hey! FIRST POST!

I just checked out the bridge hammock battle too, it was pretty good. That same guy reviewed the Lawson hammock in great detail, I included the link below. (thanks to shug for showing me how to embed videos)

ef9ipRy83ac

Vagabond
09-04-2014, 13:27
Here's another review/video of the Lawson Hammock. Good stuff. Love mine. http://www.ukpreppersguide.co.uk/best-camping-and-hiking-hammock