PDA

View Full Version : Assembling a double thickness gathered end hammock

Resqsarge03
08-07-2012, 20:12
I've recently discovered the two hammocks I've made so far are probably too short for me (Im 6 ft, 270). I went with 9 ft of 1.9 ripstop in a single layer for the other hammocks. They worked but I have been told and I've read that I should probably have one that is 11 ft (my height plus 4).
I have enough fabric to do this x 2 so I am considering a double thickness hammock.
I am considering doing that because the blue foam pad I put in my others keeps scooting around and crumpling up. It is a pain to keep in one spot and it is just untidy. I've read that a double layer allows you to tuck the pad in between the layers and it makes the overall hammock stronger.
So here is my question. Do I leave one entire side of the hammock open to tuck the pad in or do I mostly sew it closed? If I leave a hole to put the pad in, do I do it in the middle, at the foot, or at the head?
I did a search of the forums and I reread the instructions for making the hammocks but I did not see anything as specific as this.
Any opinions and help is appreciated.
Thanks
-Sarge

Aardvark
08-07-2012, 20:17
Here ya go mate...
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26066&d=1314651396

MAD777
08-07-2012, 20:17
Double layer hammock are a pad's best friend! ;)

There is no set rule. I generally sew 2'-3' closed, then leave 2'-3' open, and repeat. I do this on both sides. This gives me plenty of places I can insert the pad and then make adjustments from either side of the hammock. I have hammocks that have one side mostly open and I find that the second layer can get unruly.

gmcttr
08-07-2012, 21:26
My preference is to just "tack" the layers together with a 2" stitch every 24"-30". I find it is easier to adjust the pad if I can reach in anywhere I want. It doesn't take a very big opening to insert the pad as it can be done with the pad rolled up.

If you try my method and don't like it, it is easy to sew up more of the openings. If you just leave a couple of openings and later wish you could reach in more places, you'll be perfecting the art of using a seam ripper.

Resqsarge03
08-08-2012, 14:00
Thank you everyone.
I stitched it up this morning and what a difference! My old DIY hammock was absolutely too short for me. Now I feel like I am lounging in a king sized bed.
I had the fabric on hand because I was going to build a tarp out of ripstop, then I discovered an inexpensive local source of silnylon so I did not need it. That got me thinking about the double layer thing and adding length too.
I cut the two 12 foot pieces to 11 feet each, put rolled seams along the long sides and then stitched the ends together. I put a rolled seam at each end in order to form a channel for my cordage to make the ball of fabric. Then I passed the cordage through and whipped the fabric tightly. I did a bar tack along each side every few feet near the ends but I left a larger gap between the tacks near the middle. I figured that would be where I insert and remove the pad.
I took it right down to my hanging spot in the basement and rigged it up. It was then that I noticed that one end is gathered "up" while the other is gathered "down". I don't think it will matter but I will probably untie it later and make them both meet on the up facing side.
I think I am going to do the shock cord mod along the upper right side (my head) and the lower left side (my feet). The sides are a little floppy but nothing to worry about.
So now I am much more comfortable and the hammock is stronger than the old one. I wish it was dark blue like my original. I guess I can get used to pool blue.

Oper8or
08-09-2012, 14:05
Yes exactly the thread I was hoping for! Much information I needed to begin my trek down the dual layer hammock road. I'm going to use the MT60 (?) material though. :boggle:

ScouterJC
08-10-2012, 11:27
I had the fabric on hand because I was going to build a tarp out of ripstop, then I discovered an inexpensive local source of silnylon so I did not need it.
Just wondering what is your inexpensive local source for silnylon (emphasis on inexpensive LOL). I live close to Charlotte, not far from Greenville.

Resqsarge03
08-10-2012, 12:50
Google Phoenix of Anderson.
It is an outlet that opens one weekend a month. They have tons of material. My sil was $3 a yd

ScouterJC
08-10-2012, 13:07
That is awesome! Thanks!

sigma_pete
08-11-2012, 11:14
Here ya go mate...
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26066&d=1314651396

I'm 6'1" and 325# so I can attest to this pattern meeting your specifications. The hammocks that I made for myself and my boys followed this pattern but I doubled the fabric over (didn't cut in half like the instructions say) and only made the pad slots 2' wide.

WetRivrRat
08-11-2012, 11:28
{...}I stitched it up this morning and what a difference! {...}.

WHAT!!! :eek: no pics... Meh... Didn't happen :lol:

WetRivrRat
08-11-2012, 11:34
You going to Fall Sprawl (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46760&highlight=Fall+sprawl) - 'cuz maybe, just maybe we can vouch for you with lack of pics.... :lol: :D

grannypat
08-11-2012, 13:29
Google Phoenix of Anderson.
It is an outlet that opens one weekend a month. They have tons of material. My sil was $3 a yd

They also go by All About Fabric. I had a 20% off coupon which I got out of one of those flyers you find in restaurants. One problem is that material is not always marked as to what it is, i.e., 1.1 or 1.7 or 1.9 ripstop.

Wokka-Wokka
11-29-2014, 23:33
I am a future DIYer and was wondering about this dual layer thing myself. I'm 6'5" and 275, and according to a link posted in this forum,
http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html, I should double up to be safe. Now those ratings were based on Ripstop Nylon. I was looking at Dutch's site and curious how the Argon 1.6 and PolyD 1.2/1.4 compared to Ripstop Nylon. Can I use one of those in a single layer? If not, can I double up the 1.2 PolyD? I know its mere ounces in difference but I want to be safe, comfortable and cheap if I can help it.