PDA

View Full Version : Nano Tech Waterproof Spray Video = AMAZING.

hikerman2000
08-08-2012, 20:42
Maybe you folks have seen and/or junked around with this stuff before, idk... But it deserves me posting and seeing if I get any interest bites from the DIY crew. I cannot imagine it adds much weight given it being a spray/aerosol... I'm thinking this could be used on nylon or just about anything else a tarp could be constructed out of...

Thoughts on this Superhydrophobic elixir?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYr8mxlQqM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

hikerman2000
08-08-2012, 20:49
Not sure if it's for sale, yet. They said early 2012, but no-go.

Heres their website:
http://www.neverwet.com/?full=yes

SilvrSurfr
08-08-2012, 21:07
It's nanotechnology, with all the inherent environmental and health risks associated with nanotechnology. They are pretty short on details.

I wonder what happens when it enters the bloodstream, whether it can migrate through the skin, etc.

Brute1100
08-08-2012, 21:59
I think its cool... Now when can they coat roads with this stuff so the roads never flood or get wet so I can lean into corners in the rain :)

SilvrSurfr
08-08-2012, 23:12
with it repelling heavy oils so much I doubt it could get past your skin at all and it wouldn't want much part of our water filled bodies :). I think they are already putting it on clothes so they don't stain so I am sure they have done adequate testing. I can not wait to put this stuff on my windshield for rain!

You're sure they've done adequate testing? That's what I call blind faith. Here's an article about how chemotherapy actually increases cancerous tumor growth, and chemotherapy has been "adequately" tested since 1942.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/07/how-chemotherapy-may-trigger-tumors-resistance/

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health doesn't seem to agree with you about the safety of nanotechnology either:

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_21190369/researchers-nanotechs-health-risks-could-be-huge#ixzz231EGFIpz

Mr.Tattoo
08-08-2012, 23:22
My guess is it will be pretty darn expensive to buy a can of this ,there is a company Liguipel that if you send them your iPhone they will coat it inside and out it and it costs $60

zetroe
08-08-2012, 23:44
Hopefully this stuff could cost around the same as rain-x ! This would work great on my windshield, no more need for wiper blades :). It would work even better for my face shield on my helmet!

jbone357
08-09-2012, 05:54
That is some cool spray!.. didn't expect this thread to get "political"

jedbear
08-09-2012, 06:54
If an object was completely coated in the product and totally submerged in water, would it be dry when removed from the water?

raiffnuke
08-09-2012, 07:21
Here is another cool video of the product...no idea why they left the last half of the video blank..?

YqGkC5uJ0yM&NR=1

Oper8or
08-09-2012, 09:09
You're sure they've done adequate testing? That's what I call blind faith. Here's an article about how chemotherapy actually increases cancerous tumor growth, and chemotherapy has been "adequately" tested since 1942.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/07/how-chemotherapy-may-trigger-tumors-resistance/

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health doesn't seem to agree with you about the safety of nanotechnology either:

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_21190369/researchers-nanotechs-health-risks-could-be-huge#ixzz231EGFIpz

Here is another link as well on the research. A few friends of mine here in Oakridge have been keeping an eye on this for a good while now. One of the facilities where theologicial testing is done is right here near me. They also test enviromental paterns as well, but the nano testing is very interesting. One of the companies here has built a facility to start testing other nano posibilities. I'm interested in it becuase of what it may do for cancer research.

http://www.nano.gov/

Oper8or
08-09-2012, 09:10
That is some cool spray!.. didn't expect this thread to get "political"

I sees no politicies in dis har string of comments. :lol:

NCPatrick
08-09-2012, 09:12
One of the facilities where theologicial testing is done is right here near me.

http://www.nano.gov/

Theologicial testing? What is that? :confused:

zetroe
08-09-2012, 09:17
I sees no politicies in dis har string of comments. :lol:

Ha i removed mine remembering this is a hammock site and not worth it to argue over :). Being a microbiology and chemical engineering double major at OSU I love when i get to work in nanotechnology there is a ton of room for amazing advancements!

hikerman2000
08-09-2012, 09:19
I understand your skepticism, SSurfer:shades:

However, there are plenty of things that are more of danger in my opinion than a spray of waterproofing. Nanotechnology can definitely be used improperly if in the wrong hands, but it's here nonetheless, thus I embrace the good it can bring. MUST SEE VIDEO on how nanobots are going to take out cancer!!

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/videos/dean-of-invention-how-nanobots-could-fight-cancer.html

NCPatrick
08-09-2012, 09:27
Let's get back OT please. The topic is not actually about what could cause cancer. Thanks.

XSrcing
08-09-2012, 10:13
I first saw this stuff almost a year ago. They mentioned a release date of 2012 once early in testing but since then there has been zero mention of ever sending this product to market. All I see is the occasional short video of some odd object coated in this stuff being dipped in chocolate syrup.

Chrisman2013
08-09-2012, 10:43
When is this projected to come out? It could presumably be used in many different backpacking applications from tarps to waterproofing down and fleeces. Maybe even a non-stick coating more effective then teflon. I wonder if it is breathable

Mr.Tattoo
08-09-2012, 10:50
jedbear The answer is yes check out Videos for Liguipel on youtube they coat Iphones

MedicineMan
08-09-2012, 11:08
With the nucular plant in Japan gone bad and who knows how much we're getting, the nano's presented in the add are the least of my worries.
But does the garment breath after application? If so I'm in.

Cranky Bear
08-09-2012, 11:24
But does the garment breath after application? If so I'm in.

Now there's the million dollar question......

zetroe
08-09-2012, 14:16
I wonder what fabric could used to make a cheap cuben fiber alternative with some of this spray, i would like superlight for sub 300 :p

MedicineMan
08-09-2012, 14:24
AND after a spraying how long does it last? how many washings etc.
Nope not worried about these nanocytes taking up residence in my skin at all, with their little cameras and hypodermic needles-who knows what they'll do. I'll just stick with worrying about impending economic collapse and civil war.
Now back to the topic...I was/am in a hurry...on the market? price?
Imagine your favorite t-shirt is now waterproof. I'd love to do an application on a merion wool hoody from BPL; that would suddenly become my most precious garment of all time.

MAD777
08-09-2012, 14:25
But does the garment breath after application?

I started following this off & on after I first saw it demonstrated a couple of years ago on the BPL forum.

My understanding of it is that it's not a coating (like PU) that makes the material waterproof, but that it waterproofs the fibers of the material such that they cannot absorb water.

In other words, if you treat your mesh trail runners with this and then walk through a creek, your socks will get wet but the shoes won't gain any weight because they will still be dry.

I have two pair of pants that do this and it's amazing to watch!
(Don't ask me where you can buy these pants; you can't).

Mr.Tattoo
08-09-2012, 14:30
MAD77 In other words, if you treat your mesh trail runners with this and then walk through a creek, your socks will get wet.........But what if you treat your socks :)

Brute1100
08-09-2012, 15:42
MAD77 In other words, if you treat your mesh trail runners with this and then walk through a creek, your socks will get wet.........But what if you treat your socks :)

Can you walk on water????:eek: or would the water part around you???:eek::confused:

Mr.Tattoo
08-09-2012, 17:59
MAD777 is correct on his description of how the product works. I have been in contact with the company that makes the product about purchasing some they got back to me with some paperwork to fill out , filled out and returned now waiting on some prices. I will let you know when they get back to me.

BillyBob58
08-09-2012, 18:22
Theologicial testing? What is that? :confused:

Well, I'm not sure how much I can say on this subject here at HF. But it seems this product does a lot more than keep you dry. Suffice it to say, it seems one of the additional and very surprising benefits of this product - though it is still being tested to confirm if this is true or not - is increasing your knowledge of God.

This is one of the side effects after it is absorbed through the skin.

Rolloff
08-09-2012, 18:22
It's nanotechnology, with all the inherent environmental and health risks associated with nanotechnology. They are pretty short on details.

I wonder what happens when it enters the bloodstream, whether it can migrate through the skin, etc.

You mean sort of like DMSO?