PDA

View Full Version : Good first sewing project?

zetroe
08-10-2012, 21:16
I am not very familiar with sewing but I would like to make my own topquilt and underquilt and possibly some clothes too like jackets etc. (So many possibilities!)
I was wondering what is a good starter project to get familiar with sewing and everything I will need to know. I was thinking maybe a couple down pillows for the hammock that stuffs down really small? Any input is very welcome! thanks! :shades:

SwinginIt
08-10-2012, 21:24
Start with stuff sacks then a gathered end hammock or a gear hammock. Your pillow idea isn't a bad one either I don't think.

BrianWillan
08-10-2012, 21:25
Stuff sacks would be a good place to start. After doing DIY synthetic top and underquilts for myself, I decided that I will gladly pay the quilt making experts for my insulation needs.

Cheers

Brian

WV
08-10-2012, 21:35
Clean and lubricate your PTI (sewing machine), get good polyester thread, and install a new needle.

Pillows are a good idea. Also stuff sacks. What do you store your top quilt, underquilt, and/or sleeping bag in when you're not hiking? I use a giant snakeskin made from $1/yd fabric. It's about 16" in diameter and 72" long. No cutting necessary; measurements can vary. Just sew a piece of cloth into a tube. Sewing long seams is good practice. I just put my sleeping bag inside and tie each end of the tube loosely with an overhand knot. It stores under the bed, so it's not compressed, and the tube keeps it clean.

First big project might be a hammock or a top quilt.

zetroe
08-10-2012, 21:48
Stuff sacks are a great idea! How much do you think you save by making your own quilts and stuff? Or is a lot of it just a tailor made "I made that myself" type deal?

Full_timer
08-10-2012, 22:02
If you need more hammocks for car camping or sleeping at home this looks like a very simple first project. It will be my first. I have my tablecloths and have done my pucker free test stitches on my new sewing machine. Hopefully, this weekend I will crank one out.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54858

Ramblinrev has a whole set of videos for people like me who wouldn't know a sewing machine from a food processor. I learned a lot and gained enough confidence to take the plunge. Thank you Rev.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6802

Andy

gt7599a
08-10-2012, 22:42
You save some money doing the work yourself, if you don't factor in your time. E.g. diy top quilt to similar specs as one of the cottage manufactures, you might save $50-$75, before shipping your supplies. My TQ took at least 10 hours, probably more.

If you enjoy diy, it's worth it and a lot of fun to say, "l did this".
if you're going to do a lot, your skills will improve and you can save by ordering multiple projects in one order (assuming you finish them).
Having space to work & the right tools really helps make the diy experience a lot more enjoyable.

If you can work a couple hours overtime instead of sewing, the price difference disappears but not as much fun.

My .02
Ed

SilvrSurfr
08-11-2012, 00:23
I value my time (at least $10 an hour) and I'm a retard with the thread injector. Still, I do see the attraction of DIY. I don't think I'll be making top quilts or underquilts anytime soon, though.

ZMad2000
08-14-2012, 08:58
For project order i would recommend:
Stuff Sacks
Hammock
Pillow
UQ
TQ

Also buying a TQ or UQ from one of the great vendors here is a good option but seeing the look in peoples faces when u say "i made it" priceless!!! I made my TQ last year and still love it when people say ask where i got it and i say i made it. The look and comments are so rewarding.

zetroe
08-14-2012, 09:17
So many good ideas! Stuff sacks are definitely number one on the list since i need those anyway and i think eventually making my own topquilt sounds awesome

Ramblinrev
08-14-2012, 10:18
Your question spans two different skill sets. "Gear making" and "sewing". Sewing can prepare you for gear making but gear making is not the best preparation for sewing. Decided where you ultimately want to be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a gear maker. But to make clothing, especially jackets and pants you are going to have an even steeper learning curve. If you want to learn the finer points of "sewing" then sign up for a set of classes from a community college or from a fabric store. That is my best advice for that area. If you are content to be a gear maker, then read the multitude of posts in the DIY section and practice, practice , practice. Stuff sacks, bean bags, gathered end hammocks are all easy to learn on. Quilts are by far a more advanced project approaching the threshold between gear making and sewing.

Oper8or
08-15-2012, 12:18
Start with stuff sacks then a gathered end hammock or a gear hammock. Your pillow idea isn't a bad one either I don't think.

This is what I started with. Then I made snake skins and a bishop bag. At that point I was brave enough to make a couple of hammocks. The big mistake I made as not rolling the seams on a couple of my bags. Always roll the seams or youll have a fuzzy nightmare. :lol: