PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Needs Help

WrongTurn
09-25-2008, 11:33
After reading many of Hooch's posts on WB I've decided to convert. I have a hammock I use at home that I got in San salvador. Its cotton woven but I love it. I've decided to start hanging on the trail as well as at home, but I need some advice. I've decided on an ENO pro, a Maccat 10x12 and forgoing the bugnet until next spring. I'm 5'11 190lb. I need some advice on the best straps and hanging setup. I'm also wondering whether the 10x12 will be large enough for my gf to hang under as well. I'm getting her a ENO for christmas. As far as sleeping goes I have a Gossamer Gear thin light pad and slumberjack 20degree bag. These keep me plenty warm and I sleep in wool socks shorts and a Polarfleece. I am a very warm sleeper. She on the other hand freezes to near death whenever it gets below 70. I'm thinking of seeing if a 15 degree bag will suffice as I'm not sure she can carry all the quilts and such. Shes 5'1 100lbs soaking wet.

Shadowmoss
09-25-2008, 12:41
Highly recommend an underquilt for a woman who sleeps cold. The extra weight is worth it.

JayS
09-25-2008, 15:15
My wife sleeps cold - I took her a 35 degree down quilt two weeks ago to the Yosemite High Sierra Camps (HSC) where they provide a canvas wall tent with stove and each bunk gets 3 wool blankets and a medium weight quilt. I was fine with one layer of clothes and not using the provided quilt until after the stove cooled down. My son was in just his underwear, usually without any shirt. My wife was cold even with the down quilt and several layers. She's also been cold in a hammock. In all cases she throws the covers off, then can't understand why she's cold. Both hammocking and at HSC I had to get up and put her covers back on. When she's cold, ain't nobody happy... So do whatever it takes to keep the girlfriend warm!

Quilts usually don't weigh more than a sleeping bag or at least not much. Down is expensive but it packs down to hardly anything. And since your GF is only 5'1", you can use smaller quilts, saving more space and weight. Just a thought. Don't forget CCF pads - a lot of warmth for little $ and not too much weight.

TARPS: 8 x 10 is large enough to both hang under but it is tight, especially if it's windy or rainy and you want coverage down low. A 10 x 12 should work better. And besides, the nastier it is out, the closer you want to be... just sayin'...

HAMMOCKS: If I remember correctly, the ENO Pro is smaller and lighter than the SingleNest. If so, think about that. I have a DoubleNest which I love. Also have another brand which is slightly shorter and definitely narrower. I can sleep in it but it's not as comfortable due to the width.

Happy hangin'! And welcome to the forum!

Just Jeff
09-25-2008, 19:16
Welcome to HF!

I bet your 15F bag weighs more than 40oz and won't keep you as warm in the hammock as an under- and overquilt.

Based on hanging with my kids, I think 10x12 is plenty for two of you to hang under. All depends on how you set up your site each night, though.

Good luck with whatever setup you go with. Remember there's a learning curve so don't give up if you're not comfortable the first night or two.