PDA

View Full Version : Advantage with Weight or No...

RTR
09-25-2008, 16:28
Looking to have an easier way to pack the Clark. The integrated stuff sack that comes with the Clark IMO is a PITA to work with. I was thinking I could cut out the sack and turned it into a bishop sack (If possible not sure there is enough material). I am a gram weeny for the most part and I do not want to carry the extra stuff sack that comes with it if I can remove it. Would this be a possibility or should I just suck up the extra weight and go with a BB setup on top of it? My main concern is removing the sack will make the hammock susceptible to ripping?:scared:

fin
09-25-2008, 16:42
Suck it up and leave the sack. How much weight would you possibly save by removing that tiny piece of fabric? Sacrificing the stability and stitching of your hammock to save a couple of grams is when being a gram weenie becomes a liability, IMO. Add a bishop sack to the setup - it works great (IMO)!

oldsoldier
09-26-2008, 06:59
Just dont cut it out of the seams. I dont have one, but, I've seen pics; cant you just simply cut immediately below where it is sewn in to the fabric of the hammock?

RTR
09-26-2008, 10:06
FishinFinn:
Yes I know I am being a punk and really just needed someone to kick me in the A__ and say suck it up. Plus I should have looked at the darn Hammock before even asking this question.

Oldsoldier:

Yeah that is what I was thinking and mainly my Idea of cutting it out was to use it as a BB because I don't have any fabric. I looked at it last night and found that cutting it out would only give me like 1/3 the fabric I need and the weight is so minimal I am gonna leave it.

oldsoldier
09-26-2008, 11:35
Well, as another who is (sometimes) a gram weenie, by removing the stuff sack, and simply stuffing it into the pack, you are saving weight AND space. I no longer stuff my hammock into a sack; I simply smash it into a side pocket (I have a sabre 45L ruck I use, not light, but EXTREMELY comfy). Stuffing offers the advantage of taking up exactly the space it needs, leaving no wasted space. Something in a stuffsack still has deadspace around it. Just a thought.
I have a Kifaru Woobie I use as a comforter, that has a built in stuff sack. I removed that. It wasnt too much weight savings, but I simply stuff everything into the pack anyway, and didnt see a need for the integrated SS.

fin
09-26-2008, 19:37
FishinFinn:
Yes I know I am being a punk and really just needed someone to kick me in the A__ and say suck it up. Plus I should have looked at the darn Hammock before even asking this question.

Oldsoldier:

Yeah that is what I was thinking and mainly my Idea of cutting it out was to use it as a BB because I don't have any fabric. I looked at it last night and found that cutting it out would only give me like 1/3 the fabric I need and the weight is so minimal I am gonna leave it.

Not being a punk, just a Gram Weenie.

If you cut it off, weigh it and post the weight. I'm really interested.