PDA

View Full Version : Back in the trees!

grannypat
08-13-2012, 12:57
I finished my DIY gathered end hammock with Knotty mods and Fronkey bug net, hung with Marlin spike hitch and whoopies from AHE. I'm still messing with the adjustment on the ridgeline and the sag on the hammock, but I believe that I will be able to sleep outside tonight! First rule of DIY--put helpful animals outside or lock them in another room. :D

Hiknhanger
08-13-2012, 14:38
That rule also applies for 6 and 2 year olds! I hope your next hang is much less eventful than the last, Grannypat! The new kit looks good!:D

ShadowAlpha
08-13-2012, 14:40
That rule also applies for 6 and 2 year olds! I hope your next hang is much less eventful than the last, Grannypat! The new kit looks good!:D

Ditto! Enjoy :)

MAD777
08-13-2012, 14:44
Congratulations! That was a quick recovery!
Check those trees carefully - you may want to consider a Turtlelady stand as your next project :rolleyes:

Cali
08-13-2012, 15:23
Good luck GrannyPat, and keep an eye out for falling trees. :eek: :lol:

holantr
08-13-2012, 16:02
It does look very nice. I was just wondering, how long from start to finish did your complete project take? And if you don't mind me asking, how much would something like this cost to make?

grannypat
08-13-2012, 19:05
It does look very nice. I was just wondering, how long from start to finish did your complete project take? And if you don't mind me asking, how much would something like this cost to make?

It took me a couple of days because I can't sit at the sewing machine too long. I made the hammock and attached the suspension one day (couple of hours) and had to wait for my shock cord, ridgeline and cord locks to come in the mail. I attached the ridgeline and played with it to get an idea of the length I wanted, then another day I made the bugnet. I didn't keep track of every little penny, but I would say around $65 total for both.

grannypat
08-13-2012, 19:12
Thanks everybody! I've been checking those trees very closely, plus hung from smaller trees. I keep thinking "which way would that tree fall if it was to do so." Maybe falling trees are like lightening--never strikes twice in the same place?!

Overgrown
08-13-2012, 19:17
awesome setup

holantr
08-13-2012, 20:11
Thank you for answers grannypat...you just inspired me to make my own diy complete set up

Fronkey
08-13-2012, 21:00
Looks awesome!

Fronkey

Oper8or
08-14-2012, 12:08
Good to see your back into swing (pun intended) after that tree decided to test the strength of your hammock suspension! As much knowledge as you have about hammocks, you'll find that sweet spot faster than I can eat a poptart. :lol: