PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang(Jan 25-27 2013)

Pages : 1 [2]

elmo_4_vt
01-09-2013, 21:45
new system as of 1/1 and YES i reserved the whole place by paying for 19 people two nites. 12 for the sites and 7 for the group site :). when the new new system kicks in in March there will be an additional $9 per reservation :( they are working out the bugs at a meeting in February using our group as an example. i'm just hoping for the best :)

Awesome... Thanks for your work... Just pay you when we get there and settle up for the additional people? Or is it just one fee per site now?

Don

-

sweetbabyd
01-09-2013, 21:58
got the days off, barring any craziness i'm good to go

Yay Ferret!! Yaaaay! I'm heading over Friday early afternoon. Silver honda element. my Mister wants to stop by Saturday with pizza. Who wants pizza, give me a holler. Yaaaay!!!! Can't wait to see my friends!

kayak karl
01-09-2013, 22:08
Awesome... Thanks for your work... Just pay you when we get there and settle up for the additional people? Or is it just one fee per site now?

Don

-
nothing changed $3 per person per night. i will pay them the difference Sunday morning. so 17 others better show up :). the rush to do it today was there was an equestrian group looking at the site the same weekend. when i have all the details for camping in Wharton, i will start a thread on it. i will also list all sites (by site #) at all the camps(8 total) that are suitable for hammocking. For example: site#1 at Lower Forge has no trees.
KK

Iafte
01-09-2013, 22:22
Since they have gone to the site system, we are going to have to have the fire in the group site. So this is what we are thinking of the setup.

We can only have 26 cars parked in the camp area, rest will have to be parked on the "road" by the pump. Once I get down there and setup, I will figure out the parking. Maybe I'll take a drive down there this weekend to try and figure everything out.

Early Bird
01-09-2013, 22:23
SBD I could go for 1-2 pieces of pizza! Can't wait to see YOU!!!

Yay Ferret!! Yaaaay! I'm heading over Friday early afternoon. Silver honda element. my Mister wants to stop by Saturday with pizza. Who wants pizza, give me a holler. Yaaaay!!!! Can't wait to see my friends!

nj4x4fever
01-09-2013, 22:58
I am still planning on attending, I have been talking to my friends one is a definite and the other is still trying to get his wifes permission.

Iafte
01-10-2013, 12:32

Pizza? Is that for lunch because I think we will have plenty to eat for dinner. :cool::D

Deadphans
01-10-2013, 16:41
If the weather stays like it is, I will definitely be in. its all on the weather for me.

As I had already said, I just
read this and get all excited and feel the urge to post :thumbup:

fallkniven
01-10-2013, 18:34
We can only have 26 cars parked in the camp area, rest will have to be parked on the "road" by the pump.

I'll be walking in from some direction, so I'll be one less truck...

sweetbabyd
01-10-2013, 22:14
Pizza? Is that for lunch because I think we will have plenty to eat for dinner. :cool::D

Iafte - yes, lunch!! :D

G.L.P.
01-10-2013, 23:57
got the days off, barring any craziness i'm good to go

DUDE... can't wait to see ya again buddy Glad to hear you will be there :D

G.L.P.
01-10-2013, 23:58

The Puffy crew will Unite .... we are one with the DoWn :lol:

Fishfood
01-11-2013, 08:29
May have to change the name of the hang to "NJ Spring Fever Hang"....65 degrees this weekend...? Really?!! :confused:

lazy river road
01-11-2013, 09:02

:boggle: OOHH OOHH me me I love pizza count me in :boggle:

Cranky Bear
01-11-2013, 09:57
my Mister wants to stop by Saturday with pizza. Who wants pizza, give me a holler. Yaaaay!!!! Can't wait to see my friends!

:boggle: OOHH OOHH me me I love pizza count me in :boggle:

+1

Thanks SBD...

Iafte
01-11-2013, 10:17
+1

Thanks SBD...

So I don't have to make a bacon bomb for lunch? Just checking...:D

Iafte
01-11-2013, 10:18
May have to change the name of the hang to "NJ Spring Fever Hang"....65 degrees this weekend...? Really?!! :confused:

Good thing it's not this weekend. Looking at the long range forcasts there is a cold snap heading our way. :D

lazy river road
01-11-2013, 10:37

Well what I was really hoping for a pizza topped with bacon bomb :lol:

Cranky Bear
01-11-2013, 10:40

:eek::scared::eek::scared::eek::scared::eek:

WOE WOE WOE

Slow down bud, there's no reason to get crazy here.......seriously thats just mean I tell ya

SkyPainter
01-11-2013, 16:35
Unfortunately I have to go on the PUP list for this hang. I will not be attending. I will be making a lot of doctors wealthier in Boston, however. Wound-up in the ER straight from the NEHHA Winter Hang.

ER Doc: "You were WHERE, this weekend?" "Outside?!" "In THIS cold weather?" "Why?"

ER Doc #2: "Were you in a fire? All your clothing smells like smoke!"

ER Intern: "He has BIRCH BARK in his pockets!"

Made for some very interesting conversations, I'll tell ya!

Enjoy the hang, folks! I REALLY wish I could make it, but alas, I can not at this time.

Pax,

~ SkyPainter

Iafte
01-11-2013, 19:21
Unfortunately I have to go on the PUP list for this hang. I will not be attending. I will be making a lot of doctors wealthier in Boston, however. Wound-up in the ER straight from the NEHHA Winter Hang.

ER Doc: "You were WHERE, this weekend?" "Outside?!" "In THIS cold weather?" "Why?"

Enjoy the hang, folks! I REALLY wish I could make it, but alas, I can not at this time.

Pax,

~ SkyPainter
Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better. You will be missed.

:eek::scared::eek::scared::eek::scared::eek:

WOE WOE WOE

Slow down bud, there's no reason to get crazy here.......seriously thats just mean I tell ya

:D:lol::D

Dylan
01-11-2013, 21:31
Who wants pizza, give me a holler.

Sweeeeeeet Baaaaby D!

G.L.P.
01-12-2013, 00:24
Good thing it's not this weekend. Looking at the long range forcasts there is a cold snap heading our way. :D

BRRRRR!!!! :lol:

good i need to test out my cold weather layering system before i do a section hike in late Feb :D

G.L.P.
01-12-2013, 00:25
wait... did someone say ... BACON !!!!!!:eek::D:laugh::mellow::D:boggle:

Iafte
01-12-2013, 15:00
Stick is heading over to chat about the hang. Will update later. :D

Confirmed:
Iafte/Stalker/Stick + my 2 boys
fallkniven
Crankybear
SilvrSurfr(If he doesn't get lost)
Knotty
Kayak Karl + Maple & Kaia
G...Hawk
G.L.P
silentorpheus
fishbait
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
jerzybears (Both of them)
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
Hulk Smash
nox2825
SoundWitness
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger
Sweetbabyd
Tinkr
fourstring
Two Tents
joizee camper
Geektechnica
BugHunter
Black Foot
elmo_4_vt
ferret

Possible:
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
brownham-(p)
Pro Vagabond- (p)
bates18-(p)
Stargaze-(p)
ZMad2000-(p)
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
sunshower-(p)
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
NJRedNeck + 2 Kids -(p if no snow)
Deadphans- (p)
JollyGreen-(p)
SkyPainter-(p)
bundy71-(p)
biggcarl-(p)
WalksInDark-(p)
BFGMofo-(p)

BFGMofo
01-12-2013, 18:12
Sad to say, I am a "no go on" this trip. Looks like I will be missing a great group.

G...Hawk
01-12-2013, 19:14

Pax,

~ SkyPainter

Sorry to hear.

Best wishes. Will put a stick on the fire for you.

Good story.

G

kayak karl
01-13-2013, 13:14
i know everybody does not like to hike or can't for some reason so i made a map of places you can drive to. all roads are passable with a car. even to within 60 feet of the summit of Apple Pie Mountain.

http://goo.gl/maps/V1Uh7

if you think of a place you want added, just ask. will be updating as we go.

WalksInDark
01-13-2013, 13:39
Thanks Karl!

JollyGreen
01-13-2013, 22:55
OK, I'm a definite

Dutch
01-14-2013, 04:06
If you got room for one more I would like to come Saturday.

lazy river road
01-14-2013, 07:18

Theirs always room for ya Dutch (just as long as you make us Dutch pancakes when you show up) :rolleyes:

Iafte
01-14-2013, 10:19

I think we can make some room.

G...Hawk
01-14-2013, 20:24
I will bring NewYork-Italian-bakery-Sesame-Bars.
They were a hit last year and good for morning or midafternoon snack.
Great on the trail.

Bob-O ( current trailname: Scout78 ) still hopes to come, but we will only know a few days before.
My 78 year old hiking partner and I had not hiked this autumn, as we usually do and I know he very much wants to get out into the woods.

Because Scout78 may attend; I am not planning on pre or post hikes.

Hope to do a dayhike.

As much as I love snow, my miniVan doesn't. So that is a limitation that directs our arrival or not.

Yes, to pizza in the afternoon !

This might get a smile from other snow lovers.
Antarctica in the summertime.
My sister, Marta and brother-in-law Mike in Dec2012.
They had unusually good weather.

G

Iafte
01-14-2013, 21:52
I want to thank Grand Trunk for sending us some stuff for the raffle.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2166/grandtrunkcbgnx.jpg

I will be testing the Hammock Compatible Sleeping bag for the weekend. So if anyone wants to check it out let me know.

fallkniven
01-15-2013, 06:27
Nice. That was really cool of them. I love my GTUL's.

Fishfood
01-15-2013, 09:12
Thank You Grand Trunk :thumbup1:

cape1
01-16-2013, 07:31
Gonna try to make it ...hubby too...

sweetbabyd
01-16-2013, 09:12
so - my husband is going to come by saturday afternoon with pizza. we wanted to bring a few, but i realize that you have to bring enough for the entire class :lol: and doing so might get a bit expensive! so here is the plan: PM me if you would like my husband Jim to bring you a pie. small is $8.99, medium is $9.99,
large is 10.99 and extra large is $12.99. you can pay me via paypal at [email protected] i think there's tax but don't worry about it. please keep your order simple, just plain or white pies. Jim will put the pies in a cooler or under a blanket to try and keep them warm. however, we live an hour away, so if you don't mind a car-temperature pie, we're all good.:D
if you do not have paypal, you can give me cash or a check to donna anderson at the hang.
i'm not sure about the actual pizza sizes, i think the large is 14" diameter? whatever the usual sizes are... they are from 2-wheelin' pizza in penndel, PA.
p.s. does anyone have a folding table handy for the pies? thanks Cranky Bear for the paypal idea!

sweetbabyd
01-16-2013, 09:14
I will bring NewYork-Italian-bakery-Sesame-Bars.
They were a hit last year and good for morning or midafternoon snack.
Great on the trail.

Bob-O ( current trailname: Scout78 ) still hopes to come, but we will only know a few days before.
My 78 year old hiking partner and I had not hiked this autumn, as we usually do and I know he very much wants to get out into the woods.

Because Scout78 may attend; I am not planning on pre or post hikes.

Hope to do a dayhike.

As much as I love snow, my miniVan doesn't. So that is a limitation that directs our arrival or not.

Yes, to pizza in the afternoon !

This might get a smile from other snow lovers.
Antarctica in the summertime.
My sister, Marta and brother-in-law Mike in Dec2012.
They had unusually good weather.

G

nice G! i did smile! i love snow, *sigh*...

Iafte
01-16-2013, 09:34
so - my husband is going to come by saturday afternoon with pizza. we wanted to bring a few, but i realize that you have to bring enough for the entire class :lol: and doing so might get a bit expensive! so here is the plan: PM me if you would like my husband Jim to bring you a pie. small is $8.99, medium is $9.99,
large is 10.99 and extra large is $12.99. you can pay me via paypal at [email protected] i think there's tax but don't worry about it. please keep your order simple, just plain or white pies. Jim will put the pies in a cooler or under a blanket to try and keep them warm. however, we live an hour away, so if you don't mind a car-temperature pie, we're all good.:D
if you do not have paypal, you can give me cash or a check to donna anderson at the hang.
i'm not sure about the actual pizza sizes, i think the large is 14" diameter? whatever the usual sizes are... they are from 2-wheelin' pizza in penndel, PA.
p.s. does anyone have a folding table handy for the pies? thanks Cranky Bear for the paypal idea!

There will be tables you can use. ;)

sweetbabyd
01-16-2013, 09:38
There will be tables you can use. ;)

cool! thanks Bruce!

Iafte
01-17-2013, 21:49
Fri Jan 25
High 46° Low 32°

Cloudy
Chance of rain:10%
Wind: SSW at 10 mph

Sat Jan 26
High 41° Low 30°

Sunny
Chance of rain:0%
Wind: WNW at 12 mph

Too warm!!! lol

Confirmed:
Iafte/Stalker/Stick + my 2 boys
fallkniven
Crankybear
SilvrSurfr(If he doesn't get lost)
Knotty
Kayak Karl + Maple & Kaia
G...Hawk
G.L.P
silentorpheus
fishbait
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
jerzybears (Both of them)
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
Hulk Smash
nox2825
SoundWitness
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger
Sweetbabyd
Tinkr
fourstring
Two Tents
joizee camper
Geektechnica
BugHunter
Black Foot
elmo_4_vt
ferret
JollyGreen
Dutch

Possible:
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
brownham-(p)
Pro Vagabond- (p)
bates18-(p)
Stargaze-(p)
ZMad2000-(p)
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
sunshower-(p)
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
NJRedNeck + 2 Kids -(p if no snow)
Deadphans- (p)
JollyGreen-(p)
bundy71-(p)
biggcarl-(p)
WalksInDark-(p)
cape1 and hubby -(p)

njredneck
01-17-2013, 22:25
Me and my 2 boys will be there Sat. morning.

gbs
01-18-2013, 10:51
I am new and this will be my second hang (Thanksgiving was the first in upstate ny) what all do.I need to bring and can I just show up.or is there a cost?

camp43
01-18-2013, 11:43
Being NJ, do yo need to get a permit from the rangers to camp there?

Iafte
01-18-2013, 11:48
I am new and this will be my second hang (Thanksgiving was the first in upstate ny) what all do.I need to bring and can I just show up.or is there a cost?

$3 a night. Bring whatever you want to keep you warm. Car camping, bring everything and the kitchen sink. :D You have to take care of your own Friday dinner, Saturday Breakfast/lunch and Sunday Breakfast. (I have not heard if someone was going to make something for the group for Breakfast) If you want to make something to share at Dinner on Saturday night, that's great. If not, you can help clean up. :lol:

I will have to check our reserves and see if we still have plastic ware and paper plates. I'm going to be getting everything together either tomorrow or Sunday so I don't have to run around on thursday night.

We have already reserved the whole camp site. We will collect the money and drop it off on Sunday.

Black Foot
01-18-2013, 12:22
I will have to check our reserves and see if we still have plastic ware and paper plates. I'm going to be getting everything together either tomorrow or Sunday so I don't have to run around on thursday night.

If we need either let me know and I will bring them.

fallkniven
01-18-2013, 16:47
I'll be hiking in, but if there is anything I could bring.....

kayak karl
01-18-2013, 18:50
permits been got. $3 per nite per person paid at campsite. no need to go to ranger station.

JollyGreen
01-18-2013, 20:05
I'll be hiking in, but if there is anything I could bring.....

......an extra falkniven knife I could buy from you......

fallkniven
01-18-2013, 20:22
......an extra falkniven knife I could buy from you......

Ha. I could atleast bring the few I have to check out.

jerzybears
01-18-2013, 20:23
Russ and I are playing hooky from work Friday so after we make a presence at Fort Dix or government business we will be there in the afternoon. If these hangs have taught us anything it is ...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!

kayak karl
01-18-2013, 20:40
if your pet brings you to the hang make sure they have a proof of valid rabies shot and their LOCAL license. Pet fee is $5 per night.
The Rules (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/pet_friendly_camping.html)

TY
Kaia

Geektechnica
01-19-2013, 02:08
I'm excited! New Blackbird and Superfly on the way for the hang :)

gbs
01-19-2013, 08:59
Aaahh I just found out about this trip got everything squared at work to leave early and a friend reminded me that I have an engagement party to go to... will there be more trip? Or do any of y'all have good places for a solo hike I could reach, preferably by public transport as my car was wrecked last week? Thanks

silentorpheus
01-19-2013, 16:08
Current forecast for next weekend, courtesy of NOAA:

Friday - A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday Night - A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday - A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

So it might be nice and chilly afterall. I'm not liking the "R" word in there ... but lets cross our fingers and hope that we get snow instead. :cool:

Just set up my rig in the backyard. Between Christmas and my Birthday a few days ago, I have a new tarp, a new UQP, and I hadn't actually hung my retro-fitted HG Phoenix yet, so I wanted to make sure my setup is dialed in. Everything looks good to go - just need to splice a few guylines between now and next Friday.

See you all in the woods.

JakobW
01-19-2013, 16:11
I thought the hang was this weekend and I was all ready to go! Luckily I checked the thread!

G...Hawk
01-19-2013, 19:46
Getting the gear together to match the weather for the
NJWinterHang

Items for the FREE BOX :

If anyone would like these vintage / antique saws I will bring them.
The heirs of a carpenter neighbor hoped I could pass them along.

PM me if interested.

G

Iafte
01-20-2013, 11:11
We have plates, bowls, napkins. Need plastic ware.

Black Foot
01-20-2013, 13:53
We have plates, bowls, napkins. Need plastic ware.

I'll bring it, see you all there

JollyGreen
01-20-2013, 18:25
Just putting it out there, I'm looking for some triangle thingies for a full length UQ, and a falkniven or ESEE-4 knife if anyone attending has these and would like to trade or sell. I'll be there saturday morning, PM me if you might be interested, thanks.

yakman
01-20-2013, 19:32
hi everyone, I guess I have a few pages to go back and read. Looks like I will be able to make the event

I look forward to meeting everyone.

I look forward to putting my Hennessy Hammock to the test. From my brief visit today on the forums it looks like I need a few more things for my tarp.

fallkniven
01-20-2013, 20:21
hi everyone, I guess I have a few pages to go back and read. Looks like I will be able to make the event

I look forward to putting my Hennessy Hammock to the test. From my brief visit today on the forums it looks like I need a few more things for my tarp.

Welcome to the madness!

Dutch
01-21-2013, 05:28
Is there a raffle?

kayak karl
01-21-2013, 05:29
Is there a raffle?
yes http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=912417&postcount=1

KayakCarl
01-21-2013, 07:56
I would also like to make this hang. Is there anything I need to do or bring?,
Thanks.
Carl

Iafte
01-21-2013, 08:29
I would also like to make this hang. Is there anything I need to do or bring?,
Thanks.
Carl

Something to share for dinner saturday night.

Looks like they are calling for a wintery mix on Friday. Let's hope it's all snow. :D

silentorpheus
01-21-2013, 09:07
Looks like they are calling for a wintery mix on Friday. Let's hope it's all snow. :D

They're calling for some snow throughout the week, too, possibly. Let's hope it sticks around.

Cranky Bear
01-21-2013, 10:04
I so can't wait for this hang, good weather/bad weather ----don't matter---

Great friends, great food, great conversation (well all except for GLP's conversations, buff this and buff that haha).

WalksInDark
01-21-2013, 11:01
Looks like the weather will be cold with a little snow. PERFECT HANG WEATHER!

Unfortunately, most of my winter camping clothes are in storage...several states away...so I am going to have to miss this one.

Hope the rest of you have a great time and I look forward to seeing each of you at one of the warmer hangs in the Spring, Summer, and early Fall.

P.S. Please take lots of pictures so that us unhappy home bodies can get a glimpse of the fun we missed.

joizee camper
01-21-2013, 11:50
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/burlington-nj/08016/weekend-weather/339570
Weather forecast for this weekend. Not much difference between Friday low and Saturday high. Windy Sat, gusts up to 25.

yakman
01-21-2013, 13:18
let it snow and snow

fishbait
01-21-2013, 14:15
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/burlington-nj/08016/weekend-weather/339570
Weather forecast for this weekend. Not much difference between Friday low and Saturday high. Windy Sat, gusts up to 25.

Hmmm, Inaccuweather raised the forecasted temp since I last checked, Bummer :D I really wish I could stay the whole weekend, but bills have to be paid. Hope to see at least some of y'all before hiking out Saturday.

Fishfood
01-21-2013, 15:27

Hi Al, long time no see....See you at the Winter Hang.

prismatic81
01-21-2013, 15:46
Can't wait to see pics of this group hang. Not even anywhere close to be able to go but I grew up in NJ and this thread is just enjoyable to lurk on. :D

Everyone have an awesome time and stay safe!

Early Bird
01-21-2013, 16:10
If I click on the link for Batona Camp on the first page of this thread are you sure those coordinates are correct? Could someone check that for me? Will I see you when I get there? If there's any way to get lost I will! Thanks!

Directionally challenged, Early Bird

Iafte
01-21-2013, 16:15
If I click on the link for Batona Camp on the first page of this thread are you sure those coordinates are correct? Could someone check that for me? Will I see you when I get there? If there's any way to get lost I will! Thanks!

Directionally challenged, Early Bird

Yes, they are correct. Others have used them in the past and we have not lost anyone, yet. :D

yakman
01-21-2013, 17:04
Hi Al, long time no see....See you at the Winter Hang.
nice fishfood - look forward to hanging with you

Pro Vagabond
01-21-2013, 17:22
Like many, work has popped up and I can't give up the cash. I long for the day when I only work one job and can spend all my free time bother you all in the woods!!

Have fun and be safe!!

Pro V.

Iafte
01-21-2013, 17:35
Like many, work has popped up and I can't give up the cash. I long for the day when I only work one job and can spend all my free time bother you all in the woods!!

Have fun and be safe!!

Pro V.

Sorry to hear that Pro Vagabond. Maybe next year.

MML
01-21-2013, 18:51
Myself, Two Tents and his 4 legged hiker buddy Ben ( AKA-- Trasher) will be arriving Friday afternoon!!!
Can't wait--Bring on the cold, wind, snow, whatever--I got a Clark that I can zip the weather shield around me. I hope it works out, as this is my first winter hang with it. Between my Clark Z-Liner and my Arrowhead equipment Lost River under quilt and Storm Crows top quilt Burrow--I should be ok. If not, it will be a learning experience--which is why I love hanging with youns all--cause this central Pa. Hillbilly learns something new on every hang!!!
MML

Iafte
01-21-2013, 22:55
Just a few things:

1. Dinner Saturday night will be starting at 6pm. (If you are making something, make sure it will be done around this time. Don't want you to cook all day and not have anyone try it because they are full)

2. Please find Kayak Karl once settled, so you can settle up for the park fees. (He looks like Santa :D:lol:)

3. Alcohol is not allowed in state parks...:closedeyes:

4. We may be crowded, so you may have to share a tree. Please be a nice neighbor. :D

5. We gladly accept donations for the raffle.

6. Is it Friday yet? :D

Iafte
01-22-2013, 00:37

:thumbup::cool:

sweetbabyd
01-22-2013, 07:13
Looks like the weather will be cold with a little snow. PERFECT HANG WEATHER!

Unfortunately, most of my winter camping clothes are in storage...several states away...so I am going to have to miss this one.

Hope the rest of you have a great time and I look forward to seeing each of you at one of the warmer hangs in the Spring, Summer, and early Fall.

P.S. Please take lots of pictures so that us unhappy home bodies can get a glimpse of the fun we missed.

oh darnnit Paul!! we'll have to catch you at the spring hang! we'll take lots of pics for you :D

sweetbabyd
01-22-2013, 07:37
Sorry to hear that Pro Vagabond. Maybe next year.

Pro V! understand about not wanting to miss the opportunity to advance your finances but... hope can make the spring hang!

jhunt87
01-22-2013, 10:12
Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend. I plan on showing up Thursday night like I have the last few years. (I'll get my own permit stuff squared away for the extra night)

If anyone is new to the area feel free to pm me for my cell phone number and I'll do my best to get you to camp if you get turned around.

nj4x4fever
01-22-2013, 10:48
Do each campsites have separate fire pits so we can do our cooking over a fire near our hang area? Or is there a designated area for open fire?

kayak karl
01-22-2013, 10:50
we will be bring an assortment of muffins. from Banana Nut to Spam Muffins. working on a liver, bacon and onion one :)

nj4x4fever
01-22-2013, 11:18
we will be bring an assortment of muffins. from Banana Nut to Spam Muffins. working on a liver, bacon and onion one :)

Sounds awesome!

kayak karl
01-22-2013, 11:26
Do each campsites have separate fire pits so we can do our cooking over a fire near our hang area? Or is there a designated area for open fire?
there are only 13 campsites and 60 people. individuall fires would be a problem. we usually have a group fire, but NO FIRES FROM 10am-4pm they are very strict about this.
TY
KK

lazy river road
01-22-2013, 11:30

I LOVE MAPLES MUFFINS :boggle: I am so excited she is baking them again for this hang. I look forward to them every hang I go to. Nothing beat warm banana nut muffin in the morning.

Iafte
01-22-2013, 12:12
there are only 13 campsites and 60 people. individuall fires would be a problem. we usually have a group fire, but NO FIRES FROM 10am-4pm they are very strict about this.
TY
KK

I will have a smoker going almost all day saturday and will have one grill not in use if you need it.

I LOVE MAPLES MUFFINS :boggle: I am so excited she is baking them again for this hang. I look forward to them every hang I go to. Nothing beat warm banana nut muffin in the morning.

And now that there is a dessert category, she can enter them. :D

(Side note: The trophy says Desert, not Dessert. In my haste I spelled it wrong. They are out of the trophy I got so once it is back in stock I will order it and ship it to the winner. Or I can get some tape and just write Dessert on the tape. :D)

fallkniven
01-22-2013, 12:52
Did I read Spam muffin???

kayak karl
01-22-2013, 13:20
Did I read Spam muffin??? actually they are Span-n-cheese muffins, but YES :)

Geektechnica
01-22-2013, 13:30
WBBB and Superfly just showed up in the mail. I'm ready to go!

Looking forward to this, should be arriving Friday afternoon or so.

silentorpheus
01-22-2013, 15:30
Man, it's brisk out! Makes me want to be in the woods right now, instead of this weekend. :D

On a more serious note - and Iafte, I hope you don't mind me speaking for the 'group' for a second:

It's looking like it's going to be cold this weekend. While that excites and thrills many of us (some might call us odd ...), the truth is that the last thing any of us want is for someone to spend a misearable night in the cold (well, except maybe SilvrSurfr - he's mean spirited like that ;) ). Remember, as we've said before, that it is technically car camping - so bring extra insulation. Throw an extra blanket or sleeping bag in the car if you can - there's no downside. Bring some extra hot cocoa or tea, and don't be shy about asking to borrow a stove to boil water to make a hot drink. And many of us may have extra gear with us - so if you're not 100% certain your kit can keep you comfortable, speak up. I think I remember my first year someone spent the first night uncomfortable and cold. the next day, they asked around, and with the assembled knowledge of the folks there they were able to get things worked out and the second night (which was much colder) was spent comfortably. That same year I had a DIY topquilt that just didn't cut it for the temps we had - my feet were frozen all night long (getting my car stuck in the lake of a puddle on the way in of Friday and spending the weekend with wet feet might have had something to do with that). Saturday night I said screw it and pulled out the spare 0˚ heavy sleeping bag I had tossed in the trunk - it wasn't nearly as cool as using my own homemade gear, but at least I slept better.

Group hangs are a great way to meet people, check out new gear, and learn stuff. We're also a friendly bunch, overall. Don't be shy - if you're a newbie and this is one of your first trips out in sub-freezing weather, don't suffer through the night and risk a dangerous situation because you didn't ask for help. We'll have a great time, eat lots of great food, tell some ridiculous stories, watch Bruce fall asleep in his chair by the fire ... don't spend the rest of a fun night shivering in your hammock when you don't have to.

Thus ends the only responsible sentiment you'll hear me utter for the duration of the experience. Everything from here on out will be inappropriate, foul mouthed, and fueled by a bottle of Dickel. :cool:

See you all soon.

kayak karl
01-22-2013, 16:14
good post :) i know i will have extra quilts to lend if needed :)

Iafte
01-22-2013, 16:47
Man, it's brisk out! Makes me want to be in the woods right now, instead of this weekend. :D

On a more serious note - and Iafte, I hope you don't mind me speaking for the 'group' for a second:

It's looking like it's going to be cold this weekend. While that excites and thrills many of us (some might call us odd ...), the truth is that the last thing any of us want is for someone to spend a misearable night in the cold (well, except maybe SilvrSurfr - he's mean spirited like that ;) ). Remember, as we've said before, that it is technically car camping - so bring extra insulation. Throw an extra blanket or sleeping bag in the car if you can - there's no downside. Bring some extra hot cocoa or tea, and don't be shy about asking to borrow a stove to boil water to make a hot drink. And many of us may have extra gear with us - so if you're not 100% certain your kit can keep you comfortable, speak up. I think I remember my first year someone spent the first night uncomfortable and cold. the next day, they asked around, and with the assembled knowledge of the folks there they were able to get things worked out and the second night (which was much colder) was spent comfortably. That same year I had a DIY topquilt that just didn't cut it for the temps we had - my feet were frozen all night long (getting my car stuck in the lake of a puddle on the way in of Friday and spending the weekend with wet feet might have had something to do with that). Saturday night I said screw it and pulled out the spare 0˚ heavy sleeping bag I had tossed in the trunk - it wasn't nearly as cool as using my own homemade gear, but at least I slept better.

Group hangs are a great way to meet people, check out new gear, and learn stuff. We're also a friendly bunch, overall. Don't be shy - if you're a newbie and this is one of your first trips out in sub-freezing weather, don't suffer through the night and risk a dangerous situation because you didn't ask for help. We'll have a great time, eat lots of great food, tell some ridiculous stories, watch Bruce fall asleep in his chair by the fire ... don't spend the rest of a fun night shivering in your hammock when you don't have to.

Thus ends the only responsible sentiment you'll hear me utter for the duration of the experience. Everything from here on out will be inappropriate, foul mouthed, and fueled by a bottle of Dickel. :cool:

See you all soon.

I only did that the one year. It was all the running around and making sure everyone was having a good time. Batteries got depleted and I turned off. :D

But yes, Car camping = bring extra. Blankets, sleeping bags, pillows. Hand warmers help.

They are calling for Snow on Friday. Still not sure on how much, but they are saying it will be mostly evening/night. So getting everything setup before it starts will make it easier. We will be down at camp sometime between 8:30am and 9:30am to make sure we get everything setup before it starts snowing.

Between 10am and 4pm we can't have a fire so stay active (cutting wood, go for a hike, Help build the new snowfa and love sleet, help my kids make a giant snowman, have a snowball fight with my kids). I will have a smoker going during this time so people can hang out around it for warmth, but no peeking inside.

We want you to enjoy yourself, ask any questions you may have. You can even do a test sleep(get in hammock with what you are planning on sleeping in) and if you have any cold spots ask for help. Better to ask before sleeping then finding out after everyone is asleep and you have an uncomfortable nights sleep.

Maybe I'll have a pot of coffee on at all times during the day.

silentorpheus
01-22-2013, 16:59
I only did that the one year. It was all the running around and making sure everyone was having a good time. Batteries got depleted and I turned off. :D

The best part of that was watching Stalker poke you with a stick repeatedly until you finally woke up. Whatever - you earned it that year.

We want you to enjoy yourself, ask any questions you may have. You can even do a test sleep(get in hammock with what you are planning on sleeping in) and if you have any cold spots ask for help. Better to ask before sleeping then finding out after everyone is asleep and you have an uncomfortable nights sleep.

Exactly. It's a great opportunity to get in your hammock, and have someone else come take a look and help check for gaps, make adjustments to your UQ suspension, etc.

Maybe I'll have a pot of coffee on at all times during the day.

I'm more than happy to assist with this!

Iafte
01-22-2013, 17:20
I'm more than happy to assist with this!

The making or drinking?

Black Foot
01-22-2013, 17:41

See you all soon.

Great post...Dan and I have been out in the mid 20*s but this will be or first trip where the temps are expected to be this cold (low 10*s)...we are "pumped up" (nod of the head to GLP) to test the limits of our gear in an environment where we have a safe fall back position and the considerable expertise of this group to rely on - that is just in case we turn out to be "girly men" :D

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones...

silentorpheus
01-22-2013, 17:48
The making or drinking?

I choose answer "C", all of the above?

silentorpheus
01-22-2013, 17:53
Great post...Dan and I have been out in the mid 20*s but this will be or first trip where the temps are expected to be this cold (low 10*s)...we are "pumped up" (nod of the head to GLP) to test the limits of our gear in an environment where we have a safe fall back position and the considerable expertise of this group to rely on - that is just in case we turn out to be "girly men" :D

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones...

Ya, Don't worry ... Vahn and I will be there to make sure everyone is pumped up enough to handle the cold weather. The pine barrens are a bunch of little girly barrens - no match for Vahn and Frahn, and their manly puffies. :laugh:

JollyGreen
01-22-2013, 22:10
Saturday seems soooo far away

G.L.P.
01-22-2013, 23:42
i'll be there Sat morning... i got to cover for my boss on friday morning
Her cancer came back so she is getting Chemo so i'm covering for her since we are short handed

if the weather holds up i might come down Friday night but it's looking more like Sat morning
But i will be there ... to lead the Puffy Gang LOL
maybe if your all good little boys and girls i'll bring the acoustic and do an acoustic set by the fire :D

lazy river road
01-23-2013, 07:47
The thermometer read a whooping 7 degrees this morning. It's going to be a chilly one this weekend I am pumped up. Cant wait to freeze my Gluteus Maximus off with you all.

fishbait
01-23-2013, 08:23
We will be down at camp sometime between 8:30am and 9:30am to make sure we get everything setup before it starts snowing.

That's good to know. Ohoulihan and I are planning to leave one car at the camp in the morning with the bulk of our gear. I'm tossing my 20 deg bag and military winter bag in the car for just in case. I'll toss a few foam pads in the back as well. We plan to setup then head over to the Atsion parking lot and hike back to the camp. The are calling for a small accumulation of the white stuff Friday in South Jersey. I haven't heard any estimated accumulation amounts yet, guess I better throw the heavy winter boots in the care as well.

perrito
01-23-2013, 08:39
Work is ruining my social life. :cursing:
I'm sorry to have to bail out on this, but duty calls. Hopefully next time...

nj4x4fever
01-23-2013, 08:55
Noob Question here: Do you think a DIY-PLUQ, a 2QZQ UQ protector, a Blue CCF pad another Poncho Liner on top of the ccf then me on top of all that wearing thermal underwear, a knit hat, a HF buff, a pair of smart wool socks, a WW $3 Fleece Blanket and having a polyester filled sleeping bag for my TQ keep me warm in this extremely cold temps this weekend? :eek:

I gathered up all my gear and did a little DIY in the past 2 weeks after finding out about this hang. My Tarp shelter also has 2 GrizzBeaks one on either end, I also have a HH Hex Fly.

I will have some hand warmers and an extra 30* bag, and a thermal blanket I will leave in my truck if I need them later on.
Lowest temp I slept through so far was 37*

Silent Bob
01-23-2013, 09:05
I'm ready to go! Last night temp was 9 degrees and my gear kept me warm all night. My feet did feel cool around 5:30-6 but nothing unbearable. Friday night ill make sure I wear two sets of socks ..

lazy river road
01-23-2013, 09:19
Noob Question here: Do you think a DIY-PLUQ, a 2QZQ UQ protector, a Blue CCF pad another Poncho Liner on top of the ccf then me on top of all that wearing thermal underwear, a knit hat, a HF buff, a pair of smart wool socks, a WW $3 Fleece Blanket and having a polyester filled sleeping bag for my TQ keep me warm in this extremely cold temps this weekend? :eek:

I gathered up all my gear and did a little DIY in the past 2 weeks after finding out about this hang. My Tarp shelter also has 2 GrizzBeaks one on either end, I also have a HH Hex Fly.

I will have some hand warmers and an extra 30* bag, and a thermal blanket I will leave in my truck if I need them later on.

The only person that can truly answer your question is you and the only way to find the answer is to test it out. Just as a reference my sleep system is going to be a Zero rated Incubator with a 2QZQ UQP, A Zero Degree Burrow with a fleece liner, I will be wearing my Black Rock Zero rated down beanie, neoprene face mask, Balaclava, T-Shirt, A wool Mid Weight Base layer and possibly my Stoic Down Pullover if I'm really feeling chilly, on my legs I will be wearing a pair of heavy weight long johns and my Goose Feet Down Pants, on my feet will be expedition weight smart wool socks and Goose Feet Down Booties. On my hands I will be wearing smart wool liners and Black Rock Down Mittens. Now I would expect this system could take me down to the negatives but if I get to warm well their is always taking layers off and venting what I have on. Now this is only the clothing I will be wearing. What I have packed will be a whole different story with lots of extra long johns, long sleeve T Shirts, extra down jacket, extra socks, extra sweat shirts and did I mention I am also bringing the kitchen sink ;).

What it really comes down to is knowing your gear and what it will do for you. My first winter hang I used a zero burrow and a zero phoenix and froze my but off because I did not hang my UQ correctly. The second night someone showed me some tricks of the trades and I was toasty warm.

So I apologize for not having a straight forward yes/no answer for you but really only you can answer your own question.

nj4x4fever
01-23-2013, 09:53
Thanks for the info, I really do appreciate it.
I guess I can give it a go this weekend, if it is too cold I can always either sleep in my truck or go home to a warm and comfy bed.

fishbait
01-23-2013, 10:04

I'd slip one of the sleeping bags between your PLUQ and hammock, it'll give you an extra layer of insulation that way and we can always help you snug it up. Throw the pad inside the hammock and lay the fleece liner on top. Use the Thermal blanket and the other sleeping bag for your top quilt, keep the Poncho Liner handy should you need another layer for the top. I've taken a foam pad and a 20 degree bag down to 21 degrees in a lean to, I wasn't very cold but I wasn't comfortable either. Mainly the hard ground kept me up. I didn't see any gloves listed, you'll want to have a pair of those at night as well.

joizee camper
01-23-2013, 10:15
Help! I got turned around trying to find the camp. I'm looking at the Carranza memorial on my right. Did I pass it? Did I not go far enough?

fishbait
01-23-2013, 10:20
Help! I got turned around trying to find the camp. I'm looking at the Carranza memorial on my right. Did I pass it? Did I not go far enough?

Continue up the road, there should be a turn off about a thousand feet or so on your left. If you come to a four way intersection you've gone to far.

joizee camper
01-23-2013, 10:22
Thanks Fishbait!

sweetbabyd
01-23-2013, 12:54
I guess I can give it a go this weekend, if it is too cold I can always either sleep in my truck or go home to a warm and comfy bed.

IMHO (very humble) you might want to bring any extra bags or blankets because a sleeping rated at 30º is only good for 50º. my (again,humble) rule of thumb is to gauge a bag 20º lower than it's rated. zero bag for 20º, etc.
just wanted to say, 'cause we all want everyone warm and have a nice time with GREAT people. :D

kayak karl
01-23-2013, 13:02
i have a 40 degree under quilt and 20 degree top quilt extra you can add to that.

nj4x4fever
01-23-2013, 16:43
i have a 40 degree under quilt and 20 degree top quilt extra you can add to that.

I really appreciate it!
I just got 3 more Poncho liners in the mail today, I am making my Poncho Liner underquilts tonight. 2 Poncho liners and all my blankets, and 2 sleeping bags I hope will be enough.

fallkniven
01-23-2013, 20:53
You could use your sleeping bag like a peapod like Shug...

HTe6-kxY5rI

Syb
01-23-2013, 20:56
****. I'm out for this hang. Just got the word that work couldn't let me go. I guess on the plus side, I'll be preparing our house this weekend so we can put it on the market.

Who am I kidding, there ain't no plus side to missing this hang.

Iafte
01-23-2013, 21:32
****. I'm out for this hang. Just got the word that work couldn't let me go. I guess on the plus side, I'll be preparing our house this weekend so we can put it on the market.

You will be missed Syb. Maybe next year.

nj4x4fever
01-23-2013, 22:51
I'd slip one of the sleeping bags between your PLUQ and hammock, it'll give you an extra layer of insulation that way and we can always help you snug it up. Throw the pad inside the hammock and lay the fleece liner on top. Use the Thermal blanket and the other sleeping bag for your top quilt, keep the Poncho Liner handy should you need another layer for the top. I've taken a foam pad and a 20 degree bag down to 21 degrees in a lean to, I wasn't very cold but I wasn't comfortable either. Mainly the hard ground kept me up. I didn't see any gloves listed, you'll want to have a pair of those at night as well.

I really appreciate all of the responses, I can't thank you all enough for all the info I find useful here on this website. I am learning from you all. I will definitely get myself either a new Underquilt or get a DIY version.

I have a nice pair of fleece lined gloves. I have neoprene gloves but they always make me sweat, I use them for extreme cold water kayak fishing in February if I get a decent day on the water. I have a total of 4 Poncho Liners I have rigged up two to fit under the hammock along with a 2QZQ Underquilt Protector, which I will be tucking the sides into the hammock. This should pull the poncho liners closer to my backside. I also have a hex fly tarp with grizzbeaks for both ends of the tarp to cut down on the wind.

Does an underquilt perform better when there is no air gaps between the quilt and the hammock?

nj4x4fever
01-23-2013, 22:55
Are you going in early? I thought this hang started on Friday.

G.L.P.
01-23-2013, 22:58

NO!!!!!!!
awww man i was hoping to catch up Syb .... i'm going to set uop a few hikes for the spring maybe we can get you up here for another hike ;)

Anyone know if uncle ray ray is coming ?

Iafte
01-23-2013, 23:05

The organized part starts Friday.

joizee camper
01-24-2013, 00:14

Nope, just wanted to do a test run to make sure I could find it. Roads are clear. Dirt road is frozen so no worries about sugar sand. I don't recall any ruts that would hang up a car. There is a dusting of snow on the dirt road leading to campsite but nothing to be concerned with.

silentorpheus
01-24-2013, 00:23

Aww man, Syb - haven't seen you in forever. Guess it'll be even longer now - we'll miss ya, man.

People are dropping like flies! :scared:

Does an underquilt perform better when there is no air gaps between the quilt and the hammock?

Yes. :cool:

G.L.P.
01-24-2013, 00:41
Aww man, Syb - haven't seen you in forever. Guess it'll be even longer now - we'll miss ya, man.

People are dropping like flies! :scared:

Yes. :cool:

Not me Hans.... i'll be there Sat YA ... you better be PuMpEd Up YA

Fishfood
01-24-2013, 06:02
I'm bringing my cross country ski's...hope we get more snow than forcasted :D

Two Tents
01-24-2013, 07:52
My pile of concerns kept getting bigger each day this week. I had a biggie of a problem dropped on me in the night. I will not be making the journey to the NJ winter hang. "It will be OK, " that's what I keep saying. Have fun and do lots of pictures so I can see what I missed and who I missed. ben is bummed out too but he cheers up quick!

njredneck
01-24-2013, 08:01
I'll be heading out Sat morning. Unfortunately my boys will not be with me. I dont have the gear to keep them warm enough overnight. I will gladly test my limits but willnot force them to test theirs.

Iafte
01-24-2013, 08:07
Only have to survive work then it's full out packing tonight. Getting excited. Sorry that those that have to drop out are going to miss it.

Make plans for next year. (last weekend in January)

Cranky Bear
01-24-2013, 08:18

My pile of concerns kept getting bigger each day this week. I had a biggie of a problem dropped on me in the night. I will not be making the journey to the NJ winter hang. "It will be OK, " that's what I keep saying. Have fun and do lots of pictures so I can see what I missed and who I missed. ben is bummed out too but he cheers up quick!

Sorry to hear that you all will not be making it, I always have great conversations with you both. Hears hoping that things turn around for the best for you both.

You will be missed (ben too of course).......

Geektechnica
01-24-2013, 08:52
I'll be heading in on Friday. Is there any particular time which this shindig is starting so I can plan on when to arrive?

fishbait
01-24-2013, 08:54
Snow is supposed to start tomorrow afternoon and end around midnight :thumbup: Estimated accumulations 1 - 3 inches, Alan Kasper from 101.5 indicated the possibility of higher accumulations. I was going to go porch mode with my setup, still might. njredneck, I can bring a two man tent for the boys if you want, it served me well in a surprise snow storm and kept me pretty warm in 20+ degree temps.

Iafte
01-24-2013, 09:32
I'll be heading in on Friday. Is there any particular time which this shindig is starting so I can plan on when to arrive?

I'm planning on being down there between 8:30 and 9:30. (So probably means between 10 and 2. :lol:)

I have to pack everything up tonight AND take the wife out to dinner. I see a late night for me.

MML
01-24-2013, 10:45
I will be leaving about 9-10 am on Friday morning from Central Pa.
Two tents and Ben are not going to be able to make it, so I'll be travelling alone.
I am pretty good with directions, so I should be there at the NJ Hang in about 4.5 hours.
Question:
Do I turn right or left at Yellowstone national park ?

fishbait
01-24-2013, 10:57
Do I turn right or left at Yellowstone national park ?

Left; then follow the second star to the right and continue straight on till morning. :D

fallkniven
01-24-2013, 11:05
I'm all packed up and ready to go. I'm doing an overnight hike tonight,and I'll be walking into camp tomorrow sometime. See you all there!

njredneck
01-24-2013, 11:56
njredneck, I can bring a two man tent for the boys if you want, it served me well in a surprise snow storm and kept me pretty warm in 20+ degree temps.

Thank you but they have a tent its more about my wife not wanting them out there that cold 20's ok, teens not ok.

kayak karl
01-24-2013, 12:08
if i made liver, bacon and onion would anyone other then me eat it. not the bread, not the gravey kind, just good old broiled liver :boggle:

Iafte
01-24-2013, 12:25
Offical Trip report thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=921365#post921365).

So we don't get multiple reports. :)

sweetbabyd
01-24-2013, 12:28

TT!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!! Just WAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!
we will miss you. Every thing's gonna be alright.

sweetbabyd
01-24-2013, 12:31
if i made liver, bacon and onion would anyone other then me eat it. not the bread, not the gravey kind, just good old broiled liver :boggle:

Karl, that was beautiful. I wept.

silentorpheus
01-24-2013, 12:37
Thank you but they have a tent its more about my wife not wanting them out there that cold 20's ok, teens not ok.

Gotta follow the boss' orders. We'll miss having your kids around to corrupt, though. :D

That one's all you, Karl.

Not me Hans.... i'll be there Sat YA ... you better be PuMpEd Up YA

Ya, you know I'm always in a state of continual PuMpiTude. Come Saturday the Pine Barrens will be so Pumped up with both of us there ... the magnitude of the thought alone is enough to make the weak mushy people run and hide. I wonder if Stick is going to wear his girly shorts and ride his tricycle again this year ...

Offical Trip report thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=921365#post921365).

So we don't get multiple reports. :)

Hasn't even happened yet and we already have a report thread. We Jersey folk are ORGANIZED! :thumbup1:

Ratdog
01-24-2013, 14:22
Last minute add if there's still room.

Just 1 unless I can convince my sister to let the nephews come along, then it would be plus 3

Due to last minute planning, my Saturday night contribution will likely be from Zallies or Upper Crust.

Have 4x4 w/ tow stuff and look like/am one of those "sketchy pineys" you read about. :D

Iafte
01-24-2013, 16:06
Last minute add if there's still room.

Just 1 unless I can convince my sister to let the nephews come along, then it would be plus 3

Had a few bow out so yes, there should be still room.

Have 4x4 w/ tow stuff and look like/am one of those "sketchy pineys" you read about. :D

You should fit right in. :D

jerzybears
01-24-2013, 16:26
We Jersey folk are ORGANIZED! :thumbup1:

Testify Brother!!!:cool:

Ratdog
01-24-2013, 16:57
Just dropped by the camp, took the dogs for a walk. (Yeah, I'm that close)
Ran into Blackfoot and Tinkr, scoped the group camp ground.
A balmy 27 degrees with a nice breeze.
Plenty of trees and a lone latrine. Lol

For those coming from the North.
NJTPK to Exit 7
South on Rt 206
You will pass the Vincentown Diner at 206&38 (530)' nice big Wawa on your left w/ gas
On South past Vincentown to the Red Lion Circle 206&70 (Red Lion Diner, good food)
3/4 of the way around the circle staying on 206 South
Past the State Trooper Barracks and another 1/2mi to left on Carranza Road (just b4 Speed Shop)
Straight on Carranza just over 8 miles
You will pass by Seneca HS, on thru downtown Tabernacle, home of Nixons General Store for good eats...
Slow down at Schulties farm to 25mph, on into the woods, past "Costello Prep"
Look for the Carranza Memorial on Right, make a left at tree with Blue Blaze

Carranza Memorial
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/th_f1507c3daa3b9c2b7a825ef1d0063098.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/?action=view&current=f1507c3daa3b9c2b7a825ef1d0063098.jpg)

Botona Camp Entrance
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/th_674659d531f71079a25a66468de90afa.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/?action=view&current=674659d531f71079a25a66468de90afa.jpg)

Ratdog
01-24-2013, 17:00
A glimpse of what awaits you...
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/th_cf559c78e47573cd5633f7939be6a4d7.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/?action=view&current=cf559c78e47573cd5633f7939be6a4d7.jpg)

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/th_af58aa13c879d1845bcaca73e753f00e.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/?action=view&current=af58aa13c879d1845bcaca73e753f00e.jpg)

A little Batona Trail Magic, on the sunlit part of the tree, one of the better blazes and still easy to miss
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/th_3dcf44a08263d6a15e849cc12f3d9805.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/?action=view&current=3dcf44a08263d6a15e849cc12f3d9805.jpg)

sweetbabyd
01-24-2013, 18:22
Just dropped by the camp, took the dogs for a walk. (Yeah, I'm that close)
Ran into Blackfoot and company, scoped the group camp ground.
A balmy 27 degrees with a nice breeze.

For those coming from the North.
NJTPK to Exit 7
South on Rt 206
You will pass the Vincentown Diner at 206&38 (530)' nice big Wawa on your left w/ gas
On South past Vincentown to the Red Lion Circle 206&70 (Red Lion Diner, good food)
3/4 of the way around the circle staying on 206 South
Past the State Trooper Barracks and another 1/2mi to left on Carranza Road (just b4 Speed Shop)
Straight on Carranza just over 8 miles
You will pass by Seneca HS, on thru downtown Tabernacle, home of Nixons General Store for good eats...
Slow down at Schulties farm to 25mph, on into the woods, past "Costello Prep"
Look for the Carranza Memorial on Right, make a left at tree with Blue Blaze

Carranza Memorial
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/th_f1507c3daa3b9c2b7a825ef1d0063098.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/?action=view&current=f1507c3daa3b9c2b7a825ef1d0063098.jpg)

Botona Camp Entrance
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/th_674659d531f71079a25a66468de90afa.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/?action=view&current=674659d531f71079a25a66468de90afa.jpg)

nice! thanks Ratdog! i just wanted to make one last post that i can take pizza orders for saturday afternoon. we live only an hour away and my hubby will be coming by to visit. he can bring pizza, it won't be hot but not cold either.
small is $8.99, medium is $9.99, large is 10.99 and extra large is $12.99 (30" diameter). you can pay me via paypal at [email protected] or at the hang. just PM me! can't wait to see my friends and ones i have not yet met! :D

SilvrSurfr
01-24-2013, 18:40

There were two latrines last time I checked. Did somebody steal one of the crappers?

Ratdog
01-24-2013, 18:47
There were two latrines last time I checked. Did somebody steal one of the crappers?

well, it is the Pinebarrens...we Pineys love us some outhouses :D

Black Foot
01-24-2013, 19:21
Tinker and I had a great walk in today from Batsto. Hanging in the hammock now wrapped in down with a nalgene full of hot water - toasty warm :

silentorpheus
01-24-2013, 20:17

Don't worry - I'll make sure to save you a spot next to one ... just so you can keep an eye on it. :laugh:

sweetbabyd
01-24-2013, 20:42
i'm wondering about water. i know there is a water pump at the camp - do you think it will be working? i'm guessing it will be fffffrozen... i remember there is a stream at the camp. can anyone chime in from the hang two years ago when the temps were low?

silentorpheus
01-24-2013, 20:46
i'm wondering about water. i know there is a water pump at the camp - do you think it will be working? i'm guessing it will be fffffrozen... i remember there is a stream at the camp. can anyone chime in from the hang two years ago when the temps were low?

There was no issue with the pump freezing in either of the last two years - at least not that I recall.

kayak karl
01-24-2013, 21:16
its never froze that i know of. wouldn't use the stream water. its mostly bog run off. i'm bringing a case of bottled water, mostly because i'm lazy :)

SilvrSurfr
01-24-2013, 21:23
its never froze that i know of. wouldn't use the stream water. its mostly bog run off. i'm bringing a case of bottled water, mostly because i'm lazy :)

Now you tell me? I've been drinking bog water for the last two years?

sweetbabyd
01-24-2013, 21:48

ha! glad i asked. case of water it is! (how bad could bog water be - Silvrsurfr is ok...) :lol:

kayak karl
01-24-2013, 22:01
,but it has that a hint of cranberry and rubber boot :)
http://www.afterhood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/TidMarsh-Farm-6-12-10-07.jpg

Dylan
01-24-2013, 22:06
About to load up the car. See you all tomorrow!

SoundWitness
01-24-2013, 22:16
Unfortunately, I am going to have to bow out. Caught a nasty chest cold with sore throat this week and a cough that just won't stop, even with a prescribed cough medicine. Was hoping I would feel better by now but just feel cruddy. Hope all enjoy themselves on this hang. Looking forward to the trip reports, pictures and vids.

camp43
01-24-2013, 22:53
Is it too late to sign up for this? I'd like to try and make it down for tomorrow night and Saturday night. Depends how work goes. Saturday night is more sure though.

lazy river road
01-24-2013, 22:56
Is it too late to sign up for this? I'd like to try and make it down for tomorrow night and Saturday night. Depends how work goes. Saturday night is more sure though.

Never to late...See you their.

yakman
01-24-2013, 23:39
all loaded up should be getting there around 3 from work

I am looking forward to my first winter hang

I am also looking forward to seeing who is the real kayak carl or kayak karl?

I know kayakcarl for 10 years, its going to be cool to meet another:lol:

nj4x4fever
01-25-2013, 03:56
all loaded up should be getting there around 3 from work

Any chance we can get their earlier, I wanted to set up my tarp and hammock before the afternoon snow that is forecasted.

Early Bird
01-25-2013, 06:09
My van broke down yesterday. Shop said it would be ready this morning. I'm going to pick it up and head that way, but if I don't show up you'll know what happened. 184k miles... it's something every few months.

Oh-No
01-25-2013, 07:21

I'd join you. (It's also a Jersey Devil repellent)

Porkroll
01-25-2013, 07:34
I was hoping to make it this weekend, even for one day. But I will not be able to. Have fun everybody. I look forward to the post hang report and pictures.

sweetbabyd
01-25-2013, 07:47
My van broke down yesterday. Shop said it would be ready this morning. I'm going to pick it up and head that way, but if I don't show up you'll know what happened. 184k miles... it's something every few months.

Lisa it's a Honda! 184,000 miles is nothing! see you there! i threw every single piece of down i own into the back of the Element - it's a sweet downy nest!!
(yes, i brought my hammock - but i think we all know where this is going...) :lol:

Iafte
01-25-2013, 09:24
running a little late. be down in about an hour or so. Just waiting on kids.

JollyGreen
01-25-2013, 09:37
Looks like my gear won't take me to where the weather will be this weekend. In need of a 0* full length UQ so if anyone attending this weekend has one for sale, please PM me. Otherwise I'll have to pass until the weather warms up as I'm on the road working and don't have access to extra "stuff". Thanks

silentorpheus
01-25-2013, 11:52
I've got one last piece of gear that's coming in the mail today - checked the tracking this morning. So I'm going to wait for it to be delivered, then head down.

See you all in the piney woods!

grumpy ol tiger
01-25-2013, 23:26
I was hoping to at least make it to this hang on Sat., but it looks as I will be a no show. I look forward to pics and reports.....stay warm!

silentorpheus
01-26-2013, 01:10
Bundled up in my hammock ... Thermometer says 10 degrees. Aww yeah. Goodnight, Batona.

Dutch
01-26-2013, 13:54
I am on the turnpike now I should get there about 4 o'clock don't have the raffle until I get there because I Have Dutchware stuff to put in

G.L.P.
01-26-2013, 18:00
Sorry I couldn't make it guys 😞
Something came up last min I had to take care of ... Sucky part is I had the truck packed and was on my way out the door .. Just Not my week I tell ya

sweetbabyd
01-27-2013, 19:56
Sorry I couldn't make it guys 😞
Something came up last min I had to take care of ... Sucky part is I had the truck packed and was on my way out the door .. Just Not my week I tell ya

it wasn't that much fun GLP...you didn't miss anything. terrible weather, terrible food...:rolleyes: seriously, hope to see you at the next hang!

joizee camper
01-28-2013, 09:54
Had a great time! I left a couple of items behind though, a camo chair and a lantern with a yellow globe. If anybody picked these items up please PM me.

Thanks!!
-Bob

silentorpheus
01-28-2013, 10:08
Had a great time! I left a couple of items behind though, a camo chair and a lantern with a yellow globe. If anybody picked these items up please PM me.

Thanks!!
-Bob

I think that camo chair was still sitting over by the fire pit when I left. I assumed it belonged to one of Iafte's crew. Not sure about the lantern though - I didn't see that.

SilvrSurfr
01-28-2013, 11:44

Thanks!!
-Bob

Iafte will keep them for next year's raffle. Maybe you can win your chair and lamp back!

joizee camper
01-28-2013, 19:41
Iafte will keep them for next year's raffle. Maybe you can win your chair and lamp back!

silvrSurfr - You funny guy!

kayak karl
04-13-2013, 10:58
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Batona-Music/67327552816
the music for next year :)