PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang(Jan 25-27 2013)

Pages : [1] 2

Iafte
08-14-2012, 10:05
I figure I should get this started while I am thinking about it.

Oh, and just a couple quick updates:

Stick, my co-organizer, is in Maine right now. He took a short walk and will be finishing the AT in the next 2 weeks.

As for myself? At the beginning of May I met up with Stick and few friends to hike a section of the AT and I blew out my knee. Had surgery on Friday July 13th. I've been rehabbing it by taking walks and I did 7 miles this past sunday. I am planning a fall hiking trip to the Old Loggers Path as a celebratory hike. It's amazing to be able to hike without the constant pain I have lived with for 20+ years.

Anyway, enough updates and on to what brought you here:

6th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang.
Where: Batona camp site. (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&om=0&msa=0&ll=39.717751,-74.641113&spn=0.254577,0.4422&z=11&msid=112746510977574609048.00044a0879e733a9bda1e)
When: January 25th - January 27th 2013

Map: PINE BARREN CAMPS (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&om=0&msa=0&ll=39.717751,-74.641113&spn=0.254577,0.4422&z=11&msid=112746510977574609048.00044a0879e733a9bda1e)
This is a drive in area, so you can bring extra stuff to stay warm if you want. It was very warm last year, we are hoping for a return of the cold weather for this year.

3nd Annual Winter Hang Coup de grâce de grub.

This year we will be changing the format. There will be 4 winners. Main dish, side, dessert and overall. Each person will get a card and you will just pick one entry for each category.

It can be served at anytime Friday or Saturday, but must be made for the group. Normally when my group goes hiking it's just the one item that makes everyone wish they thought of it. I'm changing that rule to make sure people can try it. I don't expect you to make enough for everyone at the hang, but it would only hurt your chances of winning if you didn't. I will be making a printout that you can customize and have at your dish.

Prizes: In the works. Will update later.

Voting: There will be a one vote per attendant limit. Votes that don't have a name will be void. If there are multiple votes by one person, that person will have to tell the judges what one they vote for, if they can't, both votes will be void.

The winner will be announced Saturday Night at the fire.

More to come once Stick is back and we can have a sit down and talk plans.

fallkniven
08-14-2012, 12:48
I too hope for some cold to return. I hopefully plan to join this year, probably will hike in from 72.

Cranky Bear
08-14-2012, 13:45
Got this down on my calendar, now it's just a matter of getting off work...

mrsmileyns
08-14-2012, 14:08
I live in NJ. I am pretty new to hanging. I have never been to a group hang. Maybe a silly question...but what is a group hang? What happens there? I suppose that question is an open invitation for a lot of jokes...but I'll leave it at that ;)

Cranky Bear
08-14-2012, 14:15
I live in NJ. I am pretty new to hanging. I have never been to a group hang. Maybe a silly question...but what is a group hang? What happens there? I suppose that question is an open invitation for a lot of jokes...but I'll leave it at that ;)

Group Hang= A group of people Hang out with each other (in hammocks of course). Tenters are welcome too.

What happens= Fun, talking, chatting, relaxing, good eating, seeing old friends and making new ones + much much much more

Group hangs are great events as you are surrounded by like minded people, great people, and I have (as well as every person in my family) "ALWAYS" left with a smile on our faces, and looking forward to the next one... JMO and YMMV

mrsmileyns
08-14-2012, 14:31
sounds great - I may just join you. Last time I was in the Pine Barens (Brendan Byrne State Forest) was a summer ago - the ticks were so bad I actually had to pack my wife and son up and leave. I was literally pulling tiny ticks off my kid after being there for an hour. I am thinking winter is a much better time for that area.

kayak karl
08-14-2012, 15:01
good timing. i was just getting ready to unpack from this year :)

i plan to hike in from Bass River (2 day hike) unless we set up a group hike.

and to add to the map on first post - Batona Trail Maps;
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79924912
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79925335
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98283232

KK, M & K

berksound
08-14-2012, 17:55
I'm in from West Orange! Have to get off work first though.

Iafte
08-14-2012, 18:11
I'm in from West Orange! Have to get off work first though.

That's why I post it now, gives everyone plenty of time to take off if needed.

SilvrSurfr
08-14-2012, 18:27
Can't wait! I'm definitely in for a group hike, weather permitting. If there's two feet of snow on the ground (I hope), I'll skip the pre-hike.

Oh-No
08-14-2012, 19:23

It's a great time. If there is snow, snofas (snow sofas) are constructed, fires made, stories told, lots of great food is eaten. Oh, and the newbe is fed to the Jersey Devil (you knew that was coming :lol: )

Knotty
08-14-2012, 19:55
It's on the calendar! Thanks Iafte (and Stick).

kayak karl
08-14-2012, 20:07
then we scale Apple Pie Mt. depending on snow and avalanche conditions.

SilvrSurfr
08-14-2012, 20:10
then we scale Apple Pie Mt. depending on snow and avalanche conditions.

An arduous ascent in the summer; I'm ready to tackle it in winter no matter what the weather.

I gotta get me some of those ice spikes you have. What are they called?

kayak karl
08-14-2012, 20:33
LOL they're called ICESPIKES (http://icespike.net/)

brownham
08-14-2012, 20:41
I have a hammock finally so I'd like to attend this time, although I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold so we'll see how I fare as winter comes. And I hope to have my gogirl perfected by then!

G...Hawk
08-14-2012, 20:47
Yippee !

G.L.P.
08-14-2012, 21:08
Ya.... Ya .... I will be there to PumP you all up

Iafte
08-14-2012, 21:12
I have a hammock finally so I'd like to attend this time, although I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold so we'll see how I fare as winter comes. And I hope to have my gogirl perfected by then!

You can attend without a hammock.

(I will not be held resposible for jokes, pointing or any other shenanigans that may happen if you are not in a hammock)

brownham
08-14-2012, 21:21
I'm too sensitive. I couldn't handle being "that newbie in the tent."

G.L.P.
08-14-2012, 21:27
shenanigans? ... Us?
Come on now :cool::D

Iafte
08-14-2012, 21:28
I'm too sensitive. I couldn't handle being "that newbie in the tent."

Don't worry about it. I have friends who come every year and they don't use hammocks.

brownham
08-14-2012, 21:52
its too late, you already said it. I'M BRINGING THE HAMMOCK!

kayak karl
08-14-2012, 22:16
tell us what you need. most of us have extra stuff :)

mrsmileyns
08-15-2012, 08:35
do people bring kids?

Iafte
08-15-2012, 09:02
do people bring kids?

Yes, I bring mine every year. (11 and 13 now, 12 and 13 by the hang.)

Pro Vagabond
08-15-2012, 12:53
My winter show just got moved to the first weekend in Feb, so I should be able to attend. Plus, I just got a +10 bag from the REI garage sale and gotta try it out. Hope to see you all in a few months!

Pro V

kayak karl
08-15-2012, 15:22
Pets are welcome at Batona Camp.
Must have and present local Licensing and Rabies Documentation.
$5 per night (YES i know. it's only $3 for us?)
Guide Lines (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/pet_friendly_camping.html)

Knotty
08-16-2012, 21:28
Yippee !

G if youre coming then I'll try double hard to be there as well. So enjoyed meeting you at last year's event.

silentorpheus
08-17-2012, 22:06
Ya.... Ya .... I will be there to PumP you all up

I can't leave you to try and pump up them all up by your little girly self. So I will be there to, ya.

fishbait
08-21-2012, 11:40
Put me on the list. Hopefully I'll have and a UQ and a TQ by then. I'd bring my dog but but he just can't get comfortable in a hammock.

invisiblejules
08-22-2012, 16:45
Do you guys think this is comfortably doable with a pad, 20 degree sleeping bag, maybe a PLUQ, and a diamond tarp? Would I freeze without doors? I'd love to try joining a group hang, but I can't invest in much cold-weather hammock gear. Are there any upcoming Fall NJ hangs?

SkyPainter
08-22-2012, 16:55
I plan to be there again, even if only for the outrageous food! Had a ball last time, and fond memories of rocking by the 18 foot campfire! Might have to plan it a little better, this year, though .... coming down from Boston for only one night seemed a bit rash. LOL!

~ Sky

Iafte
08-22-2012, 19:44
Do you guys think this is comfortably doable with a pad, 20 degree sleeping bag, maybe a PLUQ, and a diamond tarp? Would I freeze without doors? I'd love to try joining a group hang, but I can't invest in much cold-weather hammock gear. Are there any upcoming Fall NJ hangs?

It all depends on the temps. This past year you would of been fine, only went down to 22. 3 previous years you would of had some issues as we hit single digit, low single digit temps.

Doors shouldn't be an issue, it's normally not that windy there.

The nice part of it is, you drive into camp so you can bring extra blankets with you. No need to buy a whole bunch of new stuff, just bring stuff from home.

perrito
08-22-2012, 19:51
Are there any upcoming Fall NJ hangs?

Consider going to the Fall MAHHA (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56948) in October. It was a great time last year.

silentorpheus
08-22-2012, 20:11

It all depends on the temps. This past year you would of been fine, only went down to 22. 3 previous years you would of had some issues as we hit single digit, low single digit temps.

Doors shouldn't be an issue, it's normally not that windy there.

The nice part of it is, you drive into camp so you can bring extra blankets with you. No need to buy a whole bunch of new stuff, just bring stuff from home.

What Iafte said. Plus, I'd wager a bunch of us bring extra gear, since weight isn't really an issue - that and we like options. I know last year I had 3 hammocks, 2 UQ's, a TQ, a 0˚ synthetic bag, a couple pads, and a blanket or two in my car ... just in case I or someone else needed something.

So bring what you have, and trust me, no one will let you freeze. :)

SilvrSurfr
08-22-2012, 20:23
Doors do make a difference - I had Tyvek Grizz Beaks at last year's hang. Outside it was 22, but inside my tarp it was 29 degrees.

Like Silent Orpheus said, I'll probably bring every piece of gear I own. You will no doubt be well taken care of, should you dare to join.

The biggest worry is getting stuck in the sugar sand. SilentOrpheus and a Piney Samaritan had to dig me out on one trip to Batona.

Pray for snow!

silentorpheus
08-22-2012, 20:27
Pray for snow!

That doesn't guarantee anything. Two years ago we had plenty of snow ... and close to a dozen people got stuck. :D

SilvrSurfr
08-22-2012, 20:37
That doesn't guarantee anything. Two years ago we had plenty of snow ... and close to a dozen people got stuck. :D

Sorry, mixed two thoughts - I meant pray for snow to be a separate thought. I want to see a snofa and a lovesleat!

I assume there'll be enough Amsteel around to pull just about anyone out of anything (without losing their bumper). Plus the four-wheel drivers will have plenty of tow ropes!

bates18
08-22-2012, 23:31
This newbie is super stoked.

invisiblejules
08-22-2012, 23:47
Thanks very much for all the supportive replies! It sounds like I should probably try a couple cold nights in the hammock in advance but it'll be great knowing I can bring extra stuff and others will have more equipment if needed.
The MAHHA sounds like fun, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get there. In any case I look forward to joining a group hang sometime soon!
I've been considering picking up a plastic sheet and making a larger tarp and/or some beaks for my 8.5 x 8.5 tarp. I guess if I can find some Tyvek, that would be better?

G.L.P.
08-23-2012, 00:26
I can't leave you to try and pump up them all up by your little girly self. So I will be there to, ya.

YA YA ... I will see you there Be ready to pump up these girly girls YA LOL

Oh yeah is anyone going for a bike ride again..... i'm thinking of bringing the Mnt bike along if others are going to ride
also i have a folding table and a pop up canopy if needed
and will have some extra gear on hand as well if needed :D
I hope it's a cold one too..... :rolleyes:

Iafte
08-23-2012, 08:42

Oh yeah is anyone going for a bike ride again..... i'm thinking of bringing the Mnt bike along if others are going to ride

I never turn away extra tables and popups. :D

fishbait
08-24-2012, 07:14
I never turn away extra tables and popups. :D

Well, in that case I can supply another canopy.

I have an KAQ UQ on the way :thumbup: so now I'm really looking forward to this trip. The last winter trip I did was in a lean-to with a piece of Tyveck, a foam pad and a 20* sleeping bag. Over night temp was 21*, the most comfortable weekend but fun.

Deadphans
08-24-2012, 09:57
I will be in Jersey now. All passed winter hangs I have wanted to attend but couldn't cause I was way out of state for college. But not this year! I am in!

Dylan
08-24-2012, 22:54
I'm coming out of retirement and this will be my "come back" hang!

jhunt87
08-27-2012, 07:05
I will be back for my 3rd NJ Winter Hang. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

lazy river road
08-27-2012, 17:01
Hip Hip Hooray NJ winter hang. Man cant believe this is going to be my fourth year, my how the time flies. By far my favorite hang of the year. Count me in.

Dylan glad your coming out of retirement looking forward to hanging with you as well as everyone else again new friends and old one alike.

I'll just need to borrow someones oxygen tang to summit Apple Pie Mt. It was a dozy last year. Man the air gets thin up their :).

Syb
08-27-2012, 18:12
If Dylan is planning on coming out of retirement, I guess I will too.

I'll just need to borrow someones oxygen tang to summit Apple Pie Mt. It was a dozy last year. Man the air gets thin up their :).
I'm not sure if I can get enough training in before January to tackle Apple Pie Mountain.

jerzybears
08-27-2012, 18:17
Oh boy, oh boy, OH BOYYYYYY!!!!!!! Hope it snows like the dickens!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh: Russ and I can't wait!!!!

jerzybears
08-27-2012, 18:22

I'll be back!:tongueup:

Iafte
08-27-2012, 20:19

If Dylan is planning on coming out of retirement, I guess I will too.

Glad you guys will be making it. :D

jerzybears
08-27-2012, 20:30
Hip Hip Hooray NJ winter hang. Man cant believe this is going to be my fourth year, my how the time flies. By far my favorite hang of the year. Count me in.

Dylan glad your coming out of retirement looking forward to hanging with you as well as everyone else again new friends and old one alike.

Hey Buddy!!! Cant wait to see you and hear all about your Long Trail Trip!

Iafte
08-27-2012, 20:40
Let's hope for another trip like this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18339&d=1296437598

lazy river road
08-27-2012, 21:08
Hey Buddy!!! Cant wait to see you and hear all about your Long Trail Trip!

Awesome Pic, cant wait to swap stories of the Long Trail.

kayak karl
08-27-2012, 21:17
was a lot of snow in '11

http://image76.webshots.com/176/8/19/51/2199819510104593866CJXpmy_fs.jpg

Album (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/579661795dJFvSR?vhost=outdoors)

kayak karl
09-05-2012, 17:25
Since many on thread are local
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58836

KK

Stargaze
09-11-2012, 07:14
Hi guys. If there is room my wife and I would love to go. Being new to hammocks but not camping and having never been on a group hang before I have a couple of questions.

Is there a cost for the trip/camp site area? Will we need to bring with us anything other than the obvious gear/ food needed for the weather conditions.

Thanks , Joe.

SilvrSurfr
09-11-2012, 11:15
Hi guys. If there is room my wife and I would love to go. Being new to hammocks but not camping and having never been on a group hang before I have a couple of questions.

Is there a cost for the trip/camp site area? Will we need to bring with us anything other than the obvious gear/ food needed for the weather conditions.

Thanks , Joe.

A camping permit is required, $3 for NJ residents, $5 for out-of-state. Somebody usually collects the cash from everybody and gets the permits from Batsto Village.

It's car camping, so you can pretty much bring everything and the kitchen sink. And don't worry about room - Batona Camp can handle plenty of folks.

Stargaze
09-11-2012, 14:44
Thanks SS.

SilvrSurfr
09-11-2012, 15:01
One thing you might want to bring is a tow rope or four-wheel drive. There's always some idiot who gets stuck in the sugar sand of the Pine Barrens (looking in the mirror at one right now). When there was snow on the ground in 2011, I hear even more folks got stuck.

Ninety percent of the time, the road is fine though. I regularly camp at Batona, and almost always bring my 1994 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (well, except that time I took a rental car (with no insurance), got stuck in the sugar sand, and ripped the entire front bumper off the rental car (if a guy named SilentOrpheus offers to push your car out of the sugar sand, graciously decline. His superhuman strength is too much for delicately-made Japanese vehicles). Then a Piney angel in a pickup truck (with a cordless drill) showed up and put the bumper back on in less than 15 minutes. Enterprise was never the wiser!

Stargaze
09-11-2012, 16:49
I carry a tow strap, hi lift jack, shackles, every where I go in my jeep. I'm always ready to lend a hand if needed. Or get yanked out too.

Deadphans
09-11-2012, 18:53
One thing you might want to bring is a tow rope or four-wheel drive. There's always some idiot who gets stuck in the sugar sand of the Pine Barrens (looking in the mirror at one right now). When there was snow on the ground in 2011, I hear even more folks got stuck.

Ninety percent of the time, the road is fine though. I regularly camp at Batona, and almost always bring my 1994 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (well, except that time I took a rental car (with no insurance), got stuck in the sugar sand, and ripped the entire front bumper off the rental car (if a guy named SilentOrpheus offers to push your car out of the sugar sand, graciously decline. His superhuman strength is too much for delicately-made Japanese vehicles). Then a Piney angel in a pickup truck (with a cordless drill) showed up and put the bumper back on in less than 15 minutes. Enterprise was never the wiser!

Lololol what a story! Some adventure!

fishbait
09-12-2012, 06:40
Put me down as tentative for the hang. The wife may be going to Geneva that week and I'm still trying to convince my son that he wants to do some winter hanging.

SilvrSurfr
09-12-2012, 10:59
Put me down as tentative for the hang. The wife may be going to Geneva that week and I'm still trying to convince my son that he wants to do some winter hanging.

Good luck with that - my 13-year-old son thinks winter hanging is downright stupid. I feel the same about summer.

silentorpheus
09-12-2012, 15:24
Good luck with that - my 13-year-old son thinks winter hanging is downright stupid. I feel the same about summer.

Seriously. I just spent last weekend out in the woods for my buddies bachelor party. It was hot, humid, the mosquitos and yellow jackets were fierce, it poured a few times with no notice, and the air was thick and wet like the tropics. Silly Jersey aquifer.

I spent almost the entire time thinking "I wouldn't have to deal with that at the winter hang" and "that wouldn't be a problem if it was winter time at Batona". Give me the cold anyday.

Fishfood
09-21-2012, 08:30
This sounds like fun. Count me in. Will have plenty of time to get my winter set-up made and tested by Jan.

harleynemo
09-21-2012, 12:25
Count me in. This will be my first winter hang (minus all the practicing I will be doing this winter in the backyard).

jerzybears
09-26-2012, 19:40
Seriously....there is no better hanging than winter hanging!!! As the Germans say, "Frisch!!"

perrito
09-26-2012, 19:42
I've never winter camped, but with all these cool people going, I don't think I can resist!

SilvrSurfr
09-26-2012, 21:59
I've never winter camped, but with all these cool people going, I don't think I can resist!

Since it's car camping, you can bring the kitchen sink to supplement your insulation. It's worth coming for the food alone, and there were some mighty fine adult beverages too!

Cranky Bear
09-27-2012, 08:15
I am very much looking forward to this hang, here's hoping for snow........

ZMad2000
10-03-2012, 14:00
I will be joining if my sewing machine finally agrees to keep working so i can make a canvas hammock sock.

Hulk Smash
10-04-2012, 11:55
Count me in, marking it in calendar now.

JakobW
10-15-2012, 18:50
I'm going to try hard to come to this. I may be able to go overnight depending on what I can rig for insulation. If I can't come up with anything I'll come down for the day to meet new people.
Also can someone explain to me how food works at these hangs?

SilvrSurfr
10-15-2012, 20:04
I'm going to try hard to come to this. I may be able to go overnight depending on what I can rig for insulation. If I can't come up with anything I'll come down for the day to meet new people.
Also can someone explain to me how food works at these hangs?

You'd be surprised what you can rig up for insulation when you are car camping.

As for food, we usually have a pot luck on Saturday night. Bring a dish if you can; otherwise, you can bring something non-food related.

Chris K
10-23-2012, 10:49
I am going to try to make it to this, esp since I couldn't make the MAHHA.

Ok if I'm not from Joisey? I used to work in Marlton. :)

Syb
10-23-2012, 11:23

We'll let you slide. This time. :D

If you can't make the whole weekend, stop by for the day on Saturday when you can see lots of gear.

kayak karl
10-23-2012, 11:48
I am going to try to make it to this, esp since I couldn't make the MAHHA.

since Olga's is gone it's not the same place :)

ferret
10-23-2012, 11:54
Just under 4 hours to get there, this might be the winter hang I travel to this year.

Syb
10-23-2012, 11:54
since Olga's is gone it's not the same place :)
Well played.

SilvrSurfr
10-23-2012, 12:06
Just under 4 hours to get there, this might be the winter hang I travel to this year.

Should be an easy drive if you avoid rush hours in Baltimore/DC and Newark, DE. Google Maps said it would take me 4.5 hours to reach Fall MAHHA 2012 but I did it in 3.5 hours.

Black Foot
10-27-2012, 17:32
Dan and I plan on coming as well, looking forward to seeing you all there.

jerzybears
11-06-2012, 17:05
What will the theme for dinner be? Russ and I can't wait! Winter hanging ROCKS! I think GLP should bring his PA crew!!

kayak karl
11-06-2012, 18:18
What will the theme for dinner be?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RYu4yM8cixE/UD12lhq2jVI/AAAAAAAAA50/fhzhk4nIJoc/s1600/spam2.jpg

Iafte
11-06-2012, 18:19
No theme this year, make what you want. We are having 3 divisions(Main dish, side, dessert) and an overall winner. I am working on actual prizes for the people to win and we need to make the trophy(s).

I go on my hike this upcoming weekend. Been going to the gym, working the knee. It feels great but the only way to really test it is to get back out.

I'll have more updates after I get back. We will have a planning meeting in the near future. :)

silentorpheus
11-08-2012, 09:28
Hurricane Sandy was horrible. And this most recent storm probably didn't help anything in the places hardest hit. That being said, up here in Central Jersey we got 6 inches of nice snow last night. It's chilly but beautiful out, and the roads are clear. So no inconvenience ... it only makes me want to get out and hang!

Looking forward to this years festivities. Lets hope we keep some of this white stuff around, or at least get some more before then. :D

SkyPainter
11-08-2012, 15:50
Well, I drove down to last year's Jersey Winter Hang for one day, from Boston. Was it worth it? YOU BET it was! We had:

CLICK TO ENLARGE A PIC

41897 WE HAD A FIRE - NOT A WIMPY FIRE, A REAL FIRE!

41898 TOLD YA IT WAS A REAL FIRE!

41899 WE HAD ROAST VENISON WRAPPED IN BACON! (YUM!)

41900 WE HAD LOTS OF OTHER FOOD, TOO (HOT DOG MAN IN A BACON HAMMOCK WITH A BACON TARP)

41901 WE HAD THE JERSEY DEVIL IN ATTENDANCE

41902 WE HAD DATES, STUFFED WITH A WALNUT AND HABANERO CHEESE, WRAPPED IN BACON

41903 WE EVEN HAD BEARS!! (JERSEY BEARS)

41904 DID I MENTION WE HAD FIRE?

Deadphans
11-09-2012, 09:22
I am in, even if its just for one night. I really want to meet you all and enjoy the out doors with ya!

sunshower
11-09-2012, 20:19
do you welcome MAzzholes ?

SoundWitness
11-09-2012, 22:03
On the calender and vacation days set. Missed the last two hangs and don't plan missing this 3 years in a row...........

kayak karl
11-12-2012, 07:42
do you welcome MAzzholes ?
they let me go. does that help?

fishbait
11-12-2012, 08:08
There is a good possibility that my son will will now think about attending. I presented him with an HH Expedition and he asked me when can he expect an under quilt.

Black Foot
11-12-2012, 09:32
Anyone have information in potential hike-ins for this? I'm not familiar with this neck of the woods :)

kayak karl
11-12-2012, 09:39
Anyone have information in potential hike-ins for this? I'm not familiar with this neck of the woods :)

how far do you want to hike in?
2 day 32 mi.
2 day 14 mi
1 day 10 mi
or anything in between :)

i have GPS tracks of the Batona trail or you can wing it and just compass/map it through the woods.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=502759#poststop

if you want to plan a hike, im in. we can start another thread.

KK&K

SilvrSurfr
11-13-2012, 13:14

I've been hiking there for a couple of years and still aren't that familiar with this neck of the woods. Could have something to do with getting lost a lot.

2 day 32 mi.
2 day 14 mi
1 day 10 mi

i have GPS tracks of the Batona trail or you can wing it and just compass/map it through the woods.

if you want to plan a hike, I'm in. we can start another thread.

KK&K

I'm interested in a pre-hike. This might be my first hike after Hurricane Sandy.
I still have on my to-do list a hike of the entire Batona Trail (53 miles), though I may be out of hiking shape by January, and the weather (think snow) might change my thinking/equipment.

Black Foot
11-13-2012, 13:40
2 day 32 mi.
2 day 14 mi
1 day 10 mi

if you want to plan a hike, im in. we can start another thread.

KK&K

I'm interested in a pre-hike. This might be my first hike after Hurricane Sandy.
I still have on my to-do list a hike of the entire Batona Trail (53 miles), though I may be out of hiking shape by January, and the weather (think snow) might change my thinking/equipment.

I'm interested in hiking in with you guys but not yet sure yet how much time I'll have, with any luck I could get Wednesday and Thursday. I also want to talk to Dan about this as well although I'm sure he'll be up for it. Also like to get your take on how weather conditions would factor in as I don't have any experience backpacking in winter (I have done some winter camping but that's a bit different I think). I think we would have equipment to rated to 20*

Maybe another thread would be good on this topic as Karl suggests?

kayak karl
11-13-2012, 13:48
I've been hiking there for a couple of years and still aren't that familiar with this neck of the woods. Could have something to do with getting lost a lot.

thats 3 people maybe. ill start a pre-hike thread :)

fishbait
11-13-2012, 14:03
Also like to get your take on how weather conditions would factor in as I don't have any experience backpacking in winter (I have done some winter camping but that's a bit different I think).

If it snows, consider a pulk (sled) and some snow shoes. The pulk will make the hike a little easier

kayak karl
11-13-2012, 14:19
If it snows, consider a pulk (sled) and some snow shoes. The pulk will make the hike a little easier
don't bother with a pulk or snowshoes. Sandy made that very difficult. :(

SilvrSurfr
11-13-2012, 14:24
don't bother with a pulk or snowshoes. Sandy made that very difficult. :(

How so? Do we need sandshoes instead?

kayak karl
11-13-2012, 14:34
How so? Do we need sandshoes instead?
storm knocked trees are down and branches across trail. would be hard to pull a pulk. if there is enough snow for snowshoes i doubt we can drive there.:D

fishbait
11-13-2012, 14:42
storm knocked trees are down and branches across trail. would be hard to pull a pulk. if there is enough snow for snowshoes i doubt we can drive there.:D

Bummer, I was going to convert my son's sled. I'll most likely be arriving Saturday, if I'm able to make it. Still have to find an underquilt for my son to use.

Edit: Put me down as confirmed, will shoot for all 3 days going to request Friday off

fallkniven
11-13-2012, 20:24
Yeah I was already planning on hiking in. I'd be up for joining the crowd.

fishbait
11-13-2012, 20:42
I'd love to be able to do the hike, but won't be able to get the extra day, Friday off is the most I can do.

kayak karl
11-13-2012, 20:52
started pre-hike thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62693)

Crawfish
11-24-2012, 22:45
i am really hoping to make it to this hang. I was trying to go to NEHHA but i will not make it to that hang. Fam is having a party that i have to attend. I will see if i can get the Friday off and drive down.

MML
11-27-2012, 12:19
Doing my Best to get off work at the end of January for this Hang.
It looks about 90 % sure that I can make it. I have just enough time off for the Friday morning- Sunday morning hang but no pre-hike for me on this one, ( and I love pre-hikes).
But of course its all null and void if the world comes to an end December 21st.:scared:

Iafte
12-04-2012, 21:57
Anyone know the how the camp fared from Sandy? I have not had a chance to swing by.

SilvrSurfr
12-04-2012, 23:31
I haven't been to Batona, but hiked from Batsto to Lower Forge a week or two ago. Surprisingly little damage. I expected more blowdowns.

fishbait
12-05-2012, 11:55
I think the area was spared the worst of the storm.

Iafte
12-05-2012, 13:47
Good to hear.

We are having a get together to go over the hang on Friday. Will post more after that.

Cranky Bear
12-06-2012, 20:01
Well I was able to get off work for this hang, oh yea here's hopin for some wintery goodness....and some most excellent food 'n' friends.

Dylan
12-06-2012, 20:26
Well I was able to get off work for this hang, oh yea here's hopin for some wintery goodness....and some most excellent food 'n' friends.

Well that decides it ... I'm making the fish again (but without the soy bacon this time :laugh:)

Cranky Bear
12-06-2012, 20:35
Well that decides it ... I'm making the fish again (but without the soy bacon this time :laugh:)

S-W-E-E-T :D:D

Now if I can only convince a certain someone to make their bacon bomb again :laugh:

SilvrSurfr
12-07-2012, 01:44

Come on! Keep the soy bacon. The psychedelic nature of it was visually stunning! Quite a colorful garnish. It was like abstract bacon.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa_z5SghtLb3jdTOrE75zpE5I7cSecM EMIzsx-yMpvTG1CsOl3JA

SilvrSurfr
12-07-2012, 01:47
More images of soy bacon. Mmmmmm, tasty!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4UgO4ZrYk_eC7iQa7Upt3exiwOaxUS KRG5-RzgYFNPlrTrcCqwg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4J7kNPPbO6FDsiR_UAFIBzpm86WtLV sQS9mxaDNiOswHVr2a1

SilvrSurfr
12-07-2012, 01:57
I'm a bitter person, so I'm thinking of cooking three dishes: broccoli rabe (rapini) with garlic and olive oil; collard greens, and brussel sprouts.

What about other winter veggies? Anyone down for a raw turnip/fennel salad? Toasting parsnips and sweet potatoes on a stick?

Silent Bob
12-07-2012, 09:56
They look like doggie treats and i dont think i would feed them to my dog

fishbait
12-07-2012, 10:24
They look like doggie treats and i dont think i would feed them to my dog

I don't think either of my dogs would eat soy bacon, scratch that - maybe they would. Luckily for me Soy doesn't agree with my stomach, so I'd be avoiding it all together. Now if were talking turkey bacon, bring it on :D I'll put that on my list to bring.

Iafte
12-07-2012, 23:32
S-W-E-E-T :D:D

Now if I can only convince a certain someone to make their bacon bomb again :laugh:

:lol:

I'll think about it. Maybe I'll make it for lunch Saturday(Means putting it on at breakfast time).

Iafte
12-07-2012, 23:35
We should be having a meeting some time next weekend. I'll post more info then.

I will probably have something done that those making food can print out by then if I get some time at work.

Iafte
12-10-2012, 20:57
I guess we need to start seeing what everyone is planning on bringing for dinner on Saturday night.

I will be bringing my smoker this year, not my brothers dual smoker/gas grill. There will be plenty of room if someone needs to cook something on it. It will be on from early morning until after dinner.

Looks like I'll be making a Bacon Bomb for lunch(not making enough to feed everyone, sorry) and I'll be smoking a pork butt for dinner. 1/2 pulled pork, 1/2 sliced pork.

What is everyone else thinking?

kayak karl
12-10-2012, 21:00
ill bring deserts, but i will have a large propane grill in the van if anyone wants to use it.

Cranky Bear
12-10-2012, 21:28
I will see what I can bring.

Iafte how much room will you have on the grill? I may be able to bring a meat or something????

fishbait
12-10-2012, 21:40
I can bring my Coleman two burner I have a griddle that can be lain across for frying, I'll also toss my chuck box in the car. It has a second griddle a pan, 2 coffee pots and a couple pots for soups and boiling water, not to mention a place setting for 4 people. It's my car camping set that I've been slowly building.

Iafte
12-10-2012, 22:08
I will see what I can bring.

Iafte how much room will you have on the grill? I may be able to bring a meat or something????

I'll only have one on, and I'll have the grate over the coals so if you don't want to smoke something and want to grill it you can.

The top rack will also be open.

43243 :D

Cranky Bear
12-11-2012, 08:07
Cool if you will only be using one then the second will be open, so if you don't mind I may use yours for a slab of beef since your making pork???????

Unless you think something else would work better (different meat, or cooking method)?

jerzybears
12-12-2012, 11:59
Hey, how many people have committed to this so I can plan a menu??:shades:

jerzybears
12-12-2012, 12:00
Russ and I are bringing our German fest benchs and table again. Maybe the coleman stove too.

Iafte
12-12-2012, 12:22
I will be brining the grill we had last year(charcoal/gas grill) and my smoker. I know the smoker will be full with what I am making and whatever Cranky Bear decides to make. But the gas/charcoal grill should have room if anyone needs some space.

I'll go through and get a rough count.

Iafte
12-12-2012, 12:47
List of those that said they were coming or thinking of coming. Looks to be 42possible right now, with 27 confirmed(I know things change, but just trying to organize things)

If you have a -(p) after your name it just means possible. If you are going to make it, please let me know and I'll take the -(p) off. :D

Iafte/Stalker/Stick + my 2 boys
fallkniven
Crankybear
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
SilvrSurfr(If he doesn't get lost)
Knotty
Kayak Karl
brownham-(p)
G...Hawk
G.L.P
Pro Vagabond
silentorpheus
fishbait-(p)
invisiblejules-(p)
SkyPainter
bates18-(p)
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
jerzybears (Both of them)
Stargaze-(p)
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
ZMad2000-(p)
Hulk Smash
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot & Dan -(p)
sunshower-(p)
SoundWitness
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)

JollyGreen
12-12-2012, 15:12
If I'm still here working I'll be there for sure, if no work I'm a possible.

njredneck
12-12-2012, 15:45
You can count me and my 2 boys in as long as it is not snowing(work sucks).

Silent Bob
12-12-2012, 16:02
I can only do an overnight. Don't know which night i'll be able to do yet.

fishbait
12-12-2012, 16:19
I'll be there Friday and Saturday night

kayak karl
12-12-2012, 16:24
add Maple and Kaia :)

Iafte
12-12-2012, 17:36
If I'm still here working I'll be there for sure, if no work I'm a possible.
Ok, put you as a (p)

You can count me and my 2 boys in as long as it is not snowing(work sucks).

Since we hope for snow, maybe next year... J/K

I can only do an overnight. Don't know which night i'll be able to do yet.
If you do just one night, you should do Saturday night. You would get to enjoy all the good food.

List of those that said they were coming or thinking of coming. Looks to be 46possible right now, with 29 confirmed(I know things change, but just trying to organize things)

If you have a -(p) after your name it just means possible. If you are going to make it, please let me know and I'll take the -(p) off. :D

fallkniven
Crankybear
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
Knotty
Kayak Karl + Maple & Kaia
brownham-(p)
G...Hawk
G.L.P
Pro Vagabond
silentorpheus
fishbait
invisiblejules-(p)
SkyPainter
bates18-(p)
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Stargaze-(p)
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
ZMad2000-(p)
Hulk Smash
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot & Dan -(p)
sunshower-(p)
SoundWitness
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
NJRedNeck + 2 Kids -(p if no snow)
Ohoulihan

SilvrSurfr
12-12-2012, 17:46
Looks like an excellent turnout this year. NJRedneck, sorry you can't make it this year 'cause it's gonna snow like crazy!

I'm still struggling on what to cook for pot luck dinner. My Italian wife makes a mean lasagna or eggplant parm, but how could we reheat it?

Since veggies are always scarce at these things, I'm definitely considering bringing one of my favorite dishes: broccoli rabe (rapini) saute'd with garlic and olive oil.

Iafte
12-12-2012, 18:01
Looks like an excellent turnout this year. NJRedneck, sorry you can't make it this year 'cause it's gonna snow like crazy!

I'm still struggling on what to cook for pot luck dinner. My Italian wife makes a mean lasagna or eggplant parm, but how could we reheat it?

Since veggies are always scarce at these things, I'm definitely considering bringing one of my favorite dishes: broccoli rabe (rapini) saute'd with garlic and olive oil.

I will have both of those with me, we should be able to reheat something. :D

SilvrSurfr
12-12-2012, 18:13

I will have both of those with me, we should be able to reheat something. :D

Awesome! My Coleman stoves went underwater during Hurricane Sandy. If they're salvageable, I'll bring one.

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2012, 01:49
Now that I've purchased an Incubator to go with my HG Phoenix, I think my son Shelf Life may be a +1 for this hang. After he tried an underquilt, he told me he would never hammock camp again without one.

CCF pads get no love in my household.

JollyGreen
12-13-2012, 07:20
^^^^huh^^^^

kayak karl
12-13-2012, 11:48
^^^^huh^^^^
i'll bite what??

JollyGreen
12-13-2012, 13:01
Looks like the 4 posts on beats headphones were deleted

Silent Bob
12-13-2012, 15:30
i'll bite what??

Around 1 in morning every thread got hit with spam post

Early Bird
12-13-2012, 20:29
Count me in! Can't wait to see you all!
I can bring Southwestern Cornbread Salad or saltine candy breakup. Which would be best? I'm thinking the salad. May be too cold for candy:)

Early Bird
12-13-2012, 21:22
An arduous ascent in the summer; I'm ready to tackle it in winter no matter what the weather.

I gotta get me some of those ice spikes you have. What are they called?

SS, I love my Kahtoola MICROspikes. You can order them from REI.

kayak karl
12-13-2012, 21:31
SS, I love my Kahtoola MICROspikes. You can order them from REI.
don't the rubber parts that go around the shoes get sticks all wrapped up in them? i switched to icespikes for that reason. ripped mine up between NOC and Fontana.

Early Bird
12-13-2012, 21:35
don't the rubber parts that go around the shoes get sticks all wrapped up in them? i switched to icespikes for that reason. ripped mine up between NOC and Fontana.

KK, no, the rubber wrap on my microspikes fits snug against my shoes. I've never gotten a stick hung up in there. Then again, I haven't used them for bushwhacking.

Iafte
12-13-2012, 22:32
Count me in! Can't wait to see you all!
I can bring Southwestern Cornbread Salad or saltine candy breakup. Which would be best? I'm thinking the salad. May be too cold for candy:)

Southwestern Cornbread Salad sounds yummy. :D

fallkniven
Crankybear
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
Knotty
brownham-(p)
G...Hawk
G.L.P
Pro Vagabond
silentorpheus
fishbait
invisiblejules-(p)
SkyPainter
bates18-(p)
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Stargaze-(p)
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
ZMad2000-(p)
Hulk Smash
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot & Dan -(p)
sunshower-(p)
SoundWitness
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
Ohoulihan
Early Bird

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2012, 23:03
Please change my status from "If he doesn't get lost" to "If he doesn't get his car stuck in the Pine Barrens Sugar Sand and SilentOrpheus rips the bumper off his rental car."

Iafte
12-13-2012, 23:10
I picked these up at Cabela's.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9892/snowshoesm.jpg

Couldn't pass them up. They were in the bargain area. $36. Bring on the snow!!!

Early Bird
12-13-2012, 23:19
I picked these up at Cabela's.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9892/snowshoesm.jpg

Couldn't pass them up. They were in the bargain area. $36. Bring on the snow!!!

Yea, but now you have to outfit the rest of the family!

silentorpheus
12-13-2012, 23:27
Please change my status from "If he doesn't get lost" to "If he doesn't get his car stuck in the Pine Barrens Sugar Sand and SilentOrpheus rips the bumper off his rental car."

But even if all those things happen (again) you'll still be there. You might be stuck there, but you'll be there.

If you get lost ...

Iafte
12-13-2012, 23:33
Yea, but now you have to outfit the rest of the family!

I thought of that, I bought bread and gave them the bags for their boots... :lol:

Oh-No
12-15-2012, 13:25
I should be able to make it.

grumpy ol tiger
12-15-2012, 20:03
Looks like I can make it to this hang. I hope the two German guys, Hans and Franz, are there too!

Iafte
12-16-2012, 15:14
fallkniven
Crankybear
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
Knotty
brownham-(p)
G...Hawk
G.L.P
Pro Vagabond
silentorpheus
fishbait
invisiblejules-(p)
SkyPainter
bates18-(p)
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Stargaze-(p)
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
ZMad2000-(p)
Hulk Smash
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot & Dan -(p)
sunshower-(p)
SoundWitness
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger

Iafte
12-16-2012, 15:17
FaceBook (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/events/453105158082209/) event setup.

fishbait
12-20-2012, 22:24
Sweetbabyd posted that she is a definite for the Winter Hang, she hit the wrong thread, she posted in this weekends pine barrens thread.

sweetbabyd
12-21-2012, 07:57
Sweetbabyd posted that she is a definite for the Winter Hang, she hit the wrong thread, she posted in this weekends pine barrens thread.

thanks fishbait, you're awesome! i am a definite, as long as my honda element can navigate any snow - but then again, it was 60º last year!:D

Pro Vagabond
12-21-2012, 12:11
I am a definate possibility for this. I won't know until the week of, but I'm really hoping to make it (and hoping I don't freeze). First true "winter" hang, so we'll see.

:)

fishbait
12-21-2012, 21:39
thanks fishbait, you're awesome! i am a definite, as long as my honda element can navigate any snow - but then again, it was 60º last year!:D

I think your Element will handle better than my Mazda 6

kayak karl
12-21-2012, 22:01
i'll be passing thru batona camp tomorrow. i'm going to mark my trees for the hang :D

SoundWitness
12-22-2012, 13:40
Put me down for making some grub. I'm looking to make a huge pot of Seafood Gumbo to feed the masses!

Deadphans
12-26-2012, 16:53
Just wanted to say I penciled in this date. I am going to keep an eye in the night time less and see if my gear will be able to handle. If so, I am in.

fallkniven
12-26-2012, 19:44
i'll be passing thru batona camp tomorrow. i'm going to mark my trees for the hang :D

I can't help but to think of how a dog marks his trees...

Iafte
12-27-2012, 22:48
fallkniven
Crankybear
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
Knotty
brownham-(p)
G...Hawk
G.L.P
Pro Vagabond- (p)
silentorpheus
fishbait
invisiblejules-(p)
SkyPainter
bates18-(p)
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Stargaze-(p)
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
ZMad2000-(p)
Hulk Smash
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot & Dan -(p)
sunshower-(p)
SoundWitness
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger
Sweetbabyd
Deadphans- (p)

Cranky Bear
12-28-2012, 12:02
I am a definate possibility for this. I won't know until the week of, but I'm really hoping to make it (and hoping I don't freeze). First true "winter" hang, so we'll see.

Dude it would be awesome to hang with you again, here's hoping you can make it......

Iafte
12-28-2012, 14:52
Don't forget to get your thinking caps on for the Coup de grâce de grub. We have 3 sub categories: Main dish, side, dessert. I'll put appetizers into the side dish if someone wants to make one.

You are not limited to just one Category, so if you want to make a side and a dessert you would have a chance to win each category as well as having 2 chances in the overall.

And yes, we are going big this year and we picked up actual trophies for the winners. :D I'll post pictures of them when I receive them.

Confirmed:
fallkniven
Crankybear
Knotty
G...Hawk
G.L.P
silentorpheus
fishbait
SkyPainter
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
Hulk Smash
SoundWitness
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger
Sweetbabyd

Possible:
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
brownham-(p)
Pro Vagabond- (p)
invisiblejules-(p)
bates18-(p)
Stargaze-(p)
ZMad2000-(p)
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot & Dan -(p)
sunshower-(p)
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
Deadphans- (p)

kayak karl
12-29-2012, 08:22
new map to Batona Camp. looks like they want us to be organized.:lol:

JollyGreen
12-29-2012, 11:47
I'm a possible, leaning towards definite.

SkyPainter
12-29-2012, 11:54
I need to be moved to the "Possible" list. I may be going through radiation treatments, which would be daily five days a week, M-F, with weekends off to try to recover a little. If this happens, I obviously couldn't travel. But until it is definite, I plan to try to get there.

~ SkyPainter

SilvrSurfr
12-29-2012, 16:17
new map to Batona Camp. looks like they want us to be organized.:lol:

Great little map. Perhaps we should designate a gathering place/campfire so that the early-to-bed, light sleepers and families with kids can hang as far away as possible. Last year our campfire/gathering place was around campsites 10 or 11, as I recall.

Shall we designate that area as the non-quiet zone? I suspect that over 50% of people want to hang close to the action, but letting folks know where the action will be can inform them where/where not to hang.

Does that sound helpful?

Then there are those who don't want to be near the latrines (I'm in that camp: the noises coming out of there induce nightmares), and others who don't want to be near the water pump. I think I'm gonna draw this up in Visio with latrines and water pump marked as well.

Black Foot
12-29-2012, 22:55
Great little map. It seems at every group hang I've attended, an early-to bed light sleeper with an 8 pm curfew always ends up hanging nearly on top of the campfire or gathering place, and then complains about noise from people who want to hang out around the campfire, laugh and tell stories.

Perhaps we should designate a gathering place/campfire so that the early-to-bed, light sleepers and families with kids can hang as far away as possible. Last year our campfire/gathering place was around campsites 10 or 11, as I recall.

Shall we designate that area as the non-quiet zone? I suspect that over 50% of people want to hang close to the action, but letting folks know where the action will be can inform them where/where not to hang.

Does that sound helpful?

Then there are those who don't want to be near the latrines (I'm in that camp: the noises coming out of there induce nightmares), and others who don't want to be near the water pump. I think I'm gonna draw this up in Visio with latrines and water pump marked as well.

+1 on SilvrSurfr's suggestion

Iafte
12-30-2012, 12:47
We will take spots 4-12. 10-11 wil be cooking/campfire. Latrines are near 6 and 12. Pump is south of 12 near road.

We normally have the area setup before most people show up so if they don't want to be near the noise they will know where not to setup.

Porkroll
12-30-2012, 21:56
Put me in as possible, if I can't make it for the weekend, I most likely will be there Saturday, and I'll bring something for dinner too.

silentorpheus
12-31-2012, 10:51
While I don't remember it being a major issue and I don't think anyone was too upset, there is something to what SS is suggesting. I wouldn't call it a 'problem', per se ... but Saturday night there was a group that stayed up into the wee hours, having a good time (and why not?), and I believe that some folks who turned in early were woken up.

I don't recall anyone who hung on the far side of the camp from the fire saying anything Sunday morning about noise the night before.

We're all there to have a good time. The area around the fire can get a little loud, and some people don't like to go to bed early (or at all). Those folk should be considerate of the fact that it may be the wee hours of the morning - but by the same token, if you're a light sleeper or like to turn in early, it probably is a good idea to hang your kit a ways away from the action.

Like Iafte said though - the main cooking/fire area is usually established and set up long before the mojority of folk ever get to Batona - so that makes it easy for everyone to decide where they want to sleep. :thumbup1:

HappyCamper
12-31-2012, 11:26
I don't know what the situation is at your hang site, but there were several reasons given by the park ranger at the Fall MAHHA in asking us to move to another location. #1 was our big number of people and the second was the noise that comes with a larger gathering. The ranger said most hikers and campers come to the woods to experience nature, not to hear a large group making noise late into the night. I couldn't argue either point and we are now in the process of looking for a new location. If your site is a public camping area there may be rules about noise, especially at night, or an adherence and respect for campers midnight.

Iafte
12-31-2012, 11:38

If we setup the cooking area and fire like this, it should block some of the noise.

I know I will have at least 2 popups with tarps on the back of them, if we get more we can try to make a nice sound barrier.

I know some people said they got woken up, we will try our best to block as much as we can.

(I can't take one side or the other in this, but we can try to come up with a solution. Mine: Make enough wonderful food and put everyone in a food coma. :D )

Tinkr
12-31-2012, 13:36
Just for inclusion - I am blackfoots 'dan' and I do have a forum/trail name (tinkr). I am super pumped for this hang and look foreword to seeing everyone I met before and meeting new people!

SkyPainter
12-31-2012, 16:15
I think the set-up was reversed last year. This one could help a bit. All I remember was being awakened by the smells of strong coffee being brewed, Blueberry Pancakes, and a nice Venison Roast wrapped in bacon smoking on the grill!

~ SkyPainter

Iafte
12-31-2012, 16:18
Here are the trophies. I do need to check the order and see if I messed one of them up or if it was them, but I can always order another.

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/8937/allgp.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/139/winnerl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/8/chefv.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/755/sidewinner.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/9128/subwinner.jpg

Cranky Bear
12-31-2012, 16:37
Iafte those look great, I am sure they will be well sought after, many thanks sir....

fishbait
12-31-2012, 16:37
I don't know what the situation is at you hang site, but there were several reasons given by the park ranger at the Fall MAHHA in asking us to move to another location. #1 was our big number of people and the second was the noise that comes with a larger gathering. The ranger said most hikers and campers come to the woods to experience nature, not to hear a large group making noise late into the night. I couldn't argue either point and we are now in the process of looking for a new location. If your site is a public camping area there may be rules about noise, especially at night, or an adherence and respect for campers midnight.

I think the only thing we might disturb are the coyotes :D Other than our group there might be and I mean might be some Boy Scouts Winter Camping. Wharton is a pretty big place.

Oh-No
12-31-2012, 18:59
Very nice Iafte, you've outdone yourself.

sweetbabyd
12-31-2012, 19:44
what Oh-No posted is correct, i was there. i just want to emphasize that common courtesy, patience and kindness is what the HF and it's members represent. the designated sites at Batona camp are perfect, and will eliminate these problems. 'nuff said! i am so looking forward to seeing all my friends and friends i have not yet met! :D

fourstring
01-01-2013, 09:31
I'm in +3 possibly more

otter
01-01-2013, 09:34
sorry to hear about your knee. hope you guys have a good hang.

sweetbabyd
01-01-2013, 10:11
Very nice Iafte, you've outdone yourself.

+one Iafte! indeed, very nice and thank you for your efforts!

hey, anyone hear from BobMac or Jerzy Bears? i can't wait to see everyone. oh, i said that already...but i'm so excited! :lol:

Two Tents
01-01-2013, 10:50
Sweet! I'm in! Now does anyone have a TQ and UQ suitable for winter I can borrow? I'm in between winter set ups right now. I only have my summer set up. Saving for some new quilts. I can go to ground if I have to for the hang. I just want to be there and see all my friends and make new ones. I'm searching for an entry in the grub contest.

sweetbabyd
01-01-2013, 11:16
Sweet! I'm in! Now does anyone have a TQ and UQ suitable for winter I can borrow? I'm in between winter set ups right now. I only have my summer set up. Saving for some new quilts. I can go to ground if I have to for the hang. I just want to be there and see all my friends and make new ones. I'm searching for an entry in the grub contest.

TT that's awesome you're going!!! hammock, car, tent - it's all good as long as you are there and warm. i can't wait to see you and Ben!! :D

biggcarl
01-01-2013, 12:50
I'm a strong maybe, that is to say, most likely

fallkniven
01-01-2013, 13:18

You can drive into the campground, so you can bring all the blankets and sleeping bags you can fit in your truck as well. Just so there's no worrying if someone might forget to bring extra, which I've heard is common as well for people to bring a lot of gear to try out or lend to others not as well equipped.

SkyPainter
01-01-2013, 14:23
+one Iafte! indeed, very nice and thank you for your efforts!

hey, anyone hear from BobMac or Jerzy Bears? i can't wait to see everyone. oh, i said that already...but i'm so excited! :lol:

===> The Jersey Bears (both) will be at the NEHHA. Hang this coming weekend. I will ask them about the Jersey Hang.

~ SkyPainter

MML
01-01-2013, 17:30
I can bring a Ez-Up Pop-up and a portable table.
Looks like a good time-Can't wait.
Ben, Two Tents and I are travilling togeather for the 4 hour drive.
Do I have to hang Garlic around the Hammock to keep the Jersey Devil away?

Dylan
01-01-2013, 18:17
Do I have to hang Garlic around the Hammock to keep the Jersey Devil away?

No, Lazy River Road's cooking will take care of that! :D

kayak karl
01-01-2013, 19:22
i think the Jersey Devil should be on the list seeing his home is so close.

Iafte
01-01-2013, 19:24
i think the Jersey Devil should be on the list seeing his home is so close.

He said we are nuts and you wouldn't catch him out during January.

Cranky Bear
01-01-2013, 20:56
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jerzybears
01-01-2013, 21:21
Oh of course the Jerzybears are coming!!! Russ just came back from New Year's Eve on Fingerboard Mountain. 1 ft. snow and a lean-to with a stone fireplace. It was GREAT!!! Depending on how this weekend's meal turns out will dictate what we bring Saturday. :)

silentorpheus
01-01-2013, 22:18
Oh of course the Jerzybears are coming!!! Russ just came back from New Year's Eve on Fingerboard Mountain. 1 ft. snow and a lean-to with a stone fireplace. It was GREAT!!! Depending on how this weekend's meal turns out will dictate what we bring Saturday. :)

I was going to say ... fat chance the jerzybears would miss the fun. :laugh:

G.L.P.
01-01-2013, 22:38
the puffy leader will gather the gang and all it's down goodness ... :lol::lol:

Ya.... i will pump you all up :eek:

silentorpheus
01-01-2013, 22:41
the puffy leader will gather the gang and all it's down goodness ... :lol::lol:

Ya.... i will pump you all up :eek:

Ya, Vahn and Frahn will be sure to get you all pumped by the end of the weekend. And this year I have a puffy too ... all the manly men have them. :lol:

G.L.P.
01-01-2013, 22:48
Ya, Vahn and Frahn will be sure to get you all pumped by the end of the weekend. And this year I have a puffy too ... all the manly men have them. :lol:

YA ... YA ..... your so manly

Oh Frahn .... Your so PUMPED!!!! :lol::lol:

Geektechnica
01-01-2013, 23:57
Hey this is only a few hours away for me!

I've been wanting to go to a group hang since i got my first hammock. I'm pretty sure I can make this one.

Until I request the time off, put me down as a tentative yes, and in a day or two I'll make it definite.

joizee camper
01-02-2013, 10:53
Barring a dam* good emergency I am a go for this event! Just squared it with work!! Looking forward to this. I'm digging the trophies, I might have to make up my special Seafood Chowder. If I do that than I'll have to bring my generator to run the crock pot :scared: Lol

-Bob

lazy river road
01-02-2013, 12:18

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well hum (insert sarcastic comment here)

And as for my cooking, this year Ill make sure I whip up something special for you and Cranky Bear. :rolleyes:

Iafte
01-02-2013, 13:49
I can bring a Ez-Up Pop-up and a portable table.

MML, that would be great.

Confirmed:
fallkniven
Crankybear
Knotty
G...Hawk
G.L.P
silentorpheus
fishbait
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
Hulk Smash
SoundWitness
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger
Sweetbabyd
Tinkr
fourstring
Two Tents
joizee camper

Possible:
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
brownham-(p)
Pro Vagabond- (p)
invisiblejules-(p)
bates18-(p)
Stargaze-(p)
ZMad2000-(p)
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot(p)
sunshower-(p)
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
Deadphans- (p)
mortonjl- (p)
SkyPainter- (p)
bundy71- (p)
biggcarl- (p)
Geektechnica- (p)

jerzybears
01-02-2013, 15:17
YA ... YA ..... your so manly

Oh Frahn .... Your so PUMPED!!!! :lol::lol:

Oh Ja!! Your puffy so soooo big!!! It can barely hide those biceps! Ja! You are the embodiment of perfect pumpitude!
:thumbup:

Iafte
01-02-2013, 22:39
Just got off the phone with Stick. If everyone shows up we will have over 60 people.(not everyone is from here. 58 here)

So, we were thinking of having 2nd and 3rd place winners get something. Details to come later. :)

G.L.P.
01-03-2013, 01:14
Oh Ja!! Your puffy so soooo big!!! It can barely hide those biceps! Ja! You are the embodiment of perfect pumpitude!
:thumbup:

Ya ... my Biceps are so Buff ... Ya :lol:

fishbait
01-03-2013, 09:39
I have to work on Sunday, so I'll be hiking in Friday from Batsto and hiking back out Saturday

nj4x4fever
01-04-2013, 08:43
:thumbup:I think this is great! Unfortunately I have a previous engagement. For those of us who cannot attend, will there be photos of this event? I am looking forward to the next one.
Hope you all have a great time.
I will be snowshoeing in Vermont :rolleyes:

Iafte
01-04-2013, 09:12
:thumbup:I think this is great! Unfortunately I have a previous engagement. For those of us who cannot attend, will there be photos of this event? I am looking forward to the next one.
Hope you all have a great time.
I will be snowshoeing in Vermont :rolleyes:

Yes, Maple is the unofficial offical Photographer. Others also take pictures.

Iafte
01-06-2013, 17:29
Here is the sheet for those who are entering the 3rd Annual Winter Hang Coup de grâce de grub.

Entry Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bzdiM9W9RlB9qF2evlQMwZLzFMvSi-mQCH6WfbdtZRg/edit)

We will assign a number at the hang. I don't expect every Ingredient listed, if you use a bunch of spices, you can just put spices. It's mainly to make sure if someone has an allergy to something, or they don't eat something due to religious beliefs, that they don't eat it. Also saves you from having to stand there answering questions about what's in it. :D

I will have extras on hand there, but I'm only going to be bringing like 10-20 with me.

nj4x4fever
01-06-2013, 23:41
I found out my plans from Snowshoeing in Vermont have been pushed up another week.
I need more info about this hang as it will be my first. As a noob I need more info. Do I need to register with the state forest and is there a fee? I have a friend who may be interested in going too. Please let me know ASAP so I can get things ready. This will be my first cold weather hang.
Thanks!

SilvrSurfr
01-07-2013, 00:00
Somebody usually collects the fees and registers us with the Batsto office. It's $3 per person for in-staters, and I think $5 for out-of-staters.

Iafte
01-07-2013, 00:07
I found out my plans from Snowshoeing in Vermont have been pushed up another week.
I need more info about this hang as it will be my first. As a noob I need more info. Do I need to register with the state forest and is there a fee? I have a friend who may be interested in going too. Please let me know ASAP so I can get things ready. This will be my first cold weather hang.
Thanks!

We pick up a permit for the weekend so you don't have to stop at the ranger station. We will collect money($3 a night) from everyone and kayak karl takes it over to them on sunday.

This is a drive in location so bring extra everything if you are not sure if your setup will keep you warm.

nj4x4fever
01-07-2013, 00:36
Thanks for the info. Which campsite will this be located at? Is this across the street from the Caranza Memorial? I have been there for a day hike before. Is there a specific place we need to be?
Sorry for all the noob questions.

SilvrSurfr
01-07-2013, 01:15
Yep, that's the place - Batona Camp. Drive in, find yourself a couple of trees, and introduce yourself. An alternative would be to drive in, get stuck in the sugar sand, introduce yourself and ask if someone can pull you out of the sugar sand. Then find your trees. I've done it both ways.

G.L.P.
01-07-2013, 01:33
Yep, that's the place - Batona Camp. Drive in, find yourself a couple of trees, and introduce yourself. An alternative would be to drive in, get stuck in the sugar sand, introduce yourself and ask if someone can pull you out of the sugar sand. Then find your trees. I've done it both ways.

.... oh i can see you getting stuck :lol:

SilvrSurfr
01-07-2013, 01:42

My first trip to Batona I took a rental car (with no insurance) and immediately got stuck. SilentOrpheus, that brute of a man, pushed me out. He doesn't know his own strength. He was really pumped up! Unfortunately, the bumper came off my rental car in the process. A Piney with cordless power tools showed up and reattached the bumper in minutes. I returned it to the rental car agency and they were none the wiser!

nj4x4fever
01-07-2013, 08:15
I live here in South Jersey. That's why I have 4 Wheel Drive in my little truck.
I should be ok for the sugar sand. One thing you should know about driving in sugar sand
Is to keep constant momentum as you drive through it, and don't stop until you get through it.

biggcarl
01-07-2013, 09:11
Temps for this coming weekend they said will be in the 50's.

Wonder what it will be like then? A winter hang with people walking around in shorts?

BTW, I'll bring a tow rope.

silentorpheus
01-07-2013, 09:49

I know, not surprising at all. Maybe if he was more pumped the sand would have gotten out of his way.

I live here in South Jersey. That's why I have 4 Wheel Drive in my little truck.
I should be ok for the sugar sand. One thing you should know about driving in sugar sand
Is to keep constant momentum as you drive through it, and don't stop until you get through it.

In his defense, he got stuck when he tried to turn around, not realizing that the area he tried to turn around in was a giant pit of sand ...

My first trip to Batona I took a rental car (with no insurance) and immediately got stuck. SilentOrpheus, that brute of a man, pushed me out. He doesn't know his own strength. He was really pumped up! Unfortunately, the bumper came off my rental car in the process. A Piney with cordless power tools showed up and reattached the bumper in minutes. I returned it to the rental car agency and they were none the wiser!

Yeah ... he was driving a honda civic. Turns out the bumper on those cars is only held on by a series of plastic clips. So when he got stuck, he tried to get out - and only dug his wheels in deeper. So I went to push him out ... which technically I did. Only problem was that since he had dug in so deep, the bumper filled with sand as I pushed him back, and the plastic clips couldn't take the stress of a hundred pounds of sand inside the bumper, and popped off. Oops.

Luckily the dude who came along in the pickup had a drill/screwdriver, and we were able to salvage enough of the plastic clips to re-attach. There are probably still at least a half dozen or more clips still lost in the sand pit, never to be seen again.

Ah well, it makes for a good story. :cool:

Iafte
01-07-2013, 13:42
Temps for this coming weekend they said will be in the 50's.

Wonder what it will be like then? A winter hang with people walking around in shorts?

BTW, I'll bring a tow rope.

Last year was warm as well. Think the low for the weekend was 22. Few years before it didn't get over 22 all weekend with low around 4.

Looks like it will be dropping back down next week. I'm not too worried.

fallkniven
01-07-2013, 17:16

That won't help a car that's 3" off the ground and only has one tire that spins at a time...

nj4x4fever
01-07-2013, 17:37
Now is there a list of things we should bring. This will be my first Hang with people around.
Other than the basic food for 3 days enough blankets quilts and such to keep warm. Do we need camp chairs, camp stoves etc...

silentorpheus
01-07-2013, 18:06
Now is there a list of things we should bring. This will be my first Hang with people around.
Other than the basic food for 3 days enough blankets quilts and such to keep warm. Do we need camp chairs, camp stoves etc...

Honestly, bring whatever you like, or think you'll need or use.

There's going to be a lot of people there this year, looks like, so a camp chair wouldn't hurt - unless you want to sit on the ground. Though people often bring extras.

While there's always stoves and such around at the kitchen/fire area that can be used, if you bring an extra it won't go to waste. With 40-50 people looking to heat up water in the morning for coffee, extra stoves are always useful.

The great thing about this is that it's technically car camping. So throw whatever floats your boat into the car - it's not like you have to carry it in and out. Extra blankets, bags or quilts, extra food, that larger pot that holds more water but is too heavy for backpacking, the woodstove you bought but haven't actually used yet but want to play around with ... if you think you might use it, there's no downside to putting it in the backseat.

Heck, the first year I was there, Syb brought along a spool of Zing-It and some tools since he was just learning to splice, and Saturday afternoon some people helped him learn how to do fixed eye splices. There's lots of folks around of varying levels of experience and knowledge - so it's a great time to learn, check out new gear, try out stuff, get help and feedback ... sky's the limit!

SilvrSurfr
01-07-2013, 18:06

It's car camping - bring camp chairs or whatever you want! Better safe than sorry as far as insulation.

Dylan
01-07-2013, 18:14

Chairs are good in case there is no snow. If it snows there will be a massive snowfa and lovesleat set.

This thing is practically a camp stove trade show. Bring everything you have, or don't. If you bring no stove, I'm sure there will be stoves you can try. Just be careful if you try one of Knotty's closed top Fancy Feast stoves.

I'm pretty sure that someone could actually show up for this hang naked there would be enough gear to take care of them.

nj4x4fever
01-07-2013, 18:15
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Geektechnica
01-08-2013, 00:11
Got the days off from my boss (work) and my other boss (wife) has given the go ahead as well. So I guess you can move me on over to the confirmed column :)

Looking forward to this, I've never hung (hah!) out with any other hammockers before.

BugHunter
01-08-2013, 00:15
I'm in! 44356

Iafte
01-08-2013, 18:29
Confirmed:
fallkniven
Crankybear
Knotty
G...Hawk
G.L.P
silentorpheus
fishbait
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
Hulk Smash
SoundWitness
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger
Sweetbabyd
Tinkr
fourstring
Two Tents
joizee camper
Geektechnica
BugHunter

Possible:
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
brownham-(p)
Pro Vagabond- (p)
invisiblejules-(p)
bates18-(p)
Stargaze-(p)
ZMad2000-(p)
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
Black Foot(p)
sunshower-(p)
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
Deadphans- (p)
mortonjl
SkyPainter
bundy71
biggcarl

JollyGreen
01-08-2013, 22:27
Looks like I'm still a probable but I am formerly mortonjl, now known as JollyGreen

BFGMofo
01-09-2013, 03:10
Put me down as a maybe. I am doing the Mt Rogers hang on the 17th to the 20th and 2 weekends away may get me an extended stay in the dog house. What is the name of the park?

WalksInDark
01-09-2013, 10:55
Wow, what a cast of characters! :lol: Would not want to miss seeing my (MAHAA/Mt. Rogers) peeps again.

Put me down (for now) as a maybe.

I would prefer to share a ride. Anybody coming from or through the Washington D.C. area....and going for the full 3 days?

I have a really comfy full size Chrysler T&C minivan with (4) leather captain's chairs, some heated seats, independent rear temp controls etc., lots of storage space, and I would not mind driving. However, as I am still job hunting, I would really rather share gas/toll expenses than pay 100% of the travel costs.

If you would like to explore ride sharing, drop me a private message.

Hope to see everyone there!

Regards,

Paul, AKA WalksInDark

P.S. Unless the weather is predicted to be very warm, Gabe (my young wingman from MAHAA) will probably Not Be In Attendance. :(

nox2825
01-09-2013, 11:04
Add me to list.. I'll be riding in with hulk smash. See you all there.

Black Foot
01-09-2013, 11:21
I'm confirming for the hang...looking forward to seeing everyone!

Iafte
01-09-2013, 13:53
Put me down as a maybe. I am doing the Mt Rogers hang on the 17th to the 20th and 2 weekends away may get me an extended stay in the dog house. What is the name of the park?

Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&om=0&msa=0&ll=39.717751,-74.641113&spn=0.254577,0.4422&z=11&msid=112746510977574609048.00044a0879e733a9bda1e) of the area. We will be camping in Batona Camp, Wharton State Forrest.

Add me to list.. I'll be riding in with hulk smash. See you all there.
I figured you would be tagging along. :D

Confirmed:
fallkniven
Crankybear
Knotty
G...Hawk
G.L.P
silentorpheus
fishbait
Deadphans
Dylan
jhunt87
lazy river road
Syb
Fishfood
harleynemo
perrito
Hulk Smash
nox2825
SoundWitness
Ohoulihan
Early Bird
Oh-No
grumpy ol tiger
Sweetbabyd
Tinkr
fourstring
Two Tents
joizee camper
Geektechnica
BugHunter
Black Foot

Possible:
mrsmileyns-(p)
berksound-(p)
brownham-(p)
Pro Vagabond- (p)
invisiblejules-(p)
bates18-(p)
Stargaze-(p)
ZMad2000-(p)
JakobW-(p)
Chris K-(p)
ferret-(p)
sunshower-(p)
Crawfish-(p)
MML-(p)
Deadphans- (p)
JollyGreen-(p)
SkyPainter-(p)
bundy71-(p)
biggcarl-(p)
WalksInDark-(p)
BFGMofo-(p)

elmo_4_vt
01-09-2013, 16:21
I'm in... I was there last year and can't wait to get camping again.

Don

invisiblejules
01-09-2013, 17:37
I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw. I'm going to be out of the area for work. I'll have to make it to one of these NJ hangs eventually!

fallkniven
01-09-2013, 17:40
Wow! That's an awesome list going on there. Can't wait to see so many hammocks in one spot.

kayak karl
01-09-2013, 18:12
Made reservations at Batsto today for Batona camp for the nights of 25/26. i was going to get 4-12. then i added group site. 1,2+3 looked so lonely just sitting there so i reserved them. in other words, we rule all of Batona Camp for 2 days. #128940

KK&K

ferret
01-09-2013, 20:23
got the days off, barring any craziness i'm good to go

SilvrSurfr
01-09-2013, 21:06
Made reservations at Batsto today for Batona camp for the nights of 25/26. i was going to get 4-12. then i added group site. 1,2+3 looked so lonely just sitting there so i reserved them. in other words, we rule all of Batona Camp for 2 days. #128940

KK&K

Reservations are by site now? They always told me that Batona could hold 100 campers, but if you're reserving by site number, then the site could be full with 12 people, in theory.

kayak karl
01-09-2013, 21:34
Reservations are by site now? They always told me that Batona could hold 100 campers, but if you're reserving by site number, then the site could be full with 12 people, in theory.
new system as of 1/1 and YES i reserved the whole place by paying for 19 people two nites. 12 for the sites and 7 for the group site :). when the new system kicks in in March there will be an additional $9 per reservation :( they are working out the bugs at a meeting in February using our group as an example. i'm just hoping for the best :)