PDA

View Full Version : What type of fabric is this?

JonnieBlaze
10-02-2008, 20:06
Hey everyone,

I found some fabric at my local walmart. I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow (didn't have enough money when I found it) if its still there, but I'd like to know what it is. I have no experience with fabric, but I know what 1.9oz ripstop nylon is as that's what I'm currently using for my hammock body. I'm guessing this is 1.1 oz ripstop nylon? Its really thin, you can see through it, and it has no type of coating on it. It frays into really fine 'fluffy' frays.

What would this be good for? I'm sure it too weak for a hammock body right? I had a 1.9 oz body rip right in half once. I can't believe 1.1 would hold up at all. Thoughts?

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4590/dsc00390yn2.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5286/dsc00391ce6.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4540/dsc00392nf5.jpg

slowhike
10-02-2008, 21:24
Yep, 1.1oz rip stop would be my guess. I've used that same type stuff from the dollar bin for under & top quilts (shell & liner). You could spray the outter shell of either a top or bottom quilt made w/ that stuff with DWR to help it's water, wind, & down resistance.
It could probably be used for a double hammock too.

GrizzlyAdams
10-02-2008, 21:46
the brown material looks just like some stuff I have. Weighs 1.0 oz/sq yd, uncoated. I made a double-bodied hammock with it that holds me up just fine (I'm 190 lbs).

Grizz

BurningCedar
10-03-2008, 06:44
Looks like the same two pieces I found in the Springfield, MO Walmart. Here's what I found (YMMV):

The olive drab was uncoated nylon ripstop, probably 1.1 ounce. I could breath through it. I didn't buy any of this.

The gray-green was VERY light silnylon. I couldn't breath through it at the store and it passed the no-water-leak test at home. It seems exceptionally light at 1.1 ounces/sq yard on my home scales (1.1 ounce silnylon usually weighs 1.3-1.5 ounces after the silicon coating is applied).

What can you use it for......Lots of stuff!

You could use the uncoated to make a double-layer hammock or a breathable over-cover to add a little warmth to your hammock.

I'm planning to use the sil to make a lightweight under-cover. The scraps will go to a variety of stuff sacks. You can also make Bishop bags or snake skins.

jmudler
10-03-2008, 07:29
If I could only find any weight ripstop at walmart 1$ bin :(

JaxHiker
10-03-2008, 10:01
Amen jmudler. What is it with you guys and Wal-Mart? I can't find anything good like that. :cursing:

JonnieBlaze
10-03-2008, 10:15
I check this walmart all the time. Luckily, around me, there are 3 walmart's that still have fabric but they are all being phased out. Pretty soon there won't be any fabric.

If you live around Harper's Ferry WV, go to CharlesTown, Martinsburg, or Winchester (the second walmart there, not the first) and they all still have fabric departments.

BurningCedar
10-03-2008, 11:52
Amen jmudler. What is it with you guys and Wal-Mart? I can't find anything good like that. :cursing:

I think its a big city versus rural thing. I live in Kansas City, MO. I've NEVER found any useful fabric at any of the Walmarts here. Springfield is a pretty large town, but its in a very rural part of the state. I stopped there on a lark on my way to a backpacking trail in that part of the state.

Iafte
10-03-2008, 13:28
I know my local WalMart has a really busy fabric department. The local high schools and universities shop there.

LostCause
10-03-2008, 23:54
I travel all over Texas for work and I try to stop by every Wallyworld (if I have time) to see if they have any $1 ripstop. I have yet to find any silnylon. Most fabric departments are phasing out or at least reducing what they have to one isle.
It's sad...

Sundrop
10-06-2008, 16:46
Hey guys, new here, been lurking awhile. I scored a full bolt of what I believe is 1.9 camo ripstop at my local wally world. They also have the stuff shown above in the pics but this stuff is heavier. I've also picked up 1.9 in tan color. Keep checking on the wal-marts, they did not have this stuff last week.

Just Jeff
10-06-2008, 17:30
Ask the fabric ladies when they take deliveries of the $1/yd material. If you have samples they may even hold some aside for you. But they'll probably have no idea what you're talking about if you try to explain it.