PDA

View Full Version : To asym or not to asym?

Calskin
08-20-2012, 15:18
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be sewing a couple hammocks this week. They'll be our first ones, and I'm wondering if we should go with symmetrical or asymmetrical designs?

I realize this is an opinion thing, but I'm wondering if anyone's started out with one and noticed the other was a vast improvement or not?

Thanks in advance.

Orion X
08-20-2012, 17:15
I would say it depends on you level of thread injecting skills.. I have both an asym and a good ole straight sided gathered end hammock. Both have their merrits, but i end up opting for my gathered end. If you have enough material for more than one.. make one of each :) and see what you like best.

MAD777
08-20-2012, 19:20
I say it depends on whether or not you are a side sleeper.

Back sleepers should go asym and take advantage of some of the inherent efficiencies.

Some side sleepers manage to do well in an asym hammock also. However, others don't. I'm purely a side sleeper and turn a few times during the night. Asym hammocks have a wall of fabric on one side and when I face that side, I feel trapped. There doesn't seem to be room for my arms.

Therefore ,I stay away from asym hammocks. The symmetrical ones let me switch diagonals as I turn over such that I'm always facing the edge of the hammock with the "view."

As with most things it's a personal preference, but that is mine.

Knotty
08-20-2012, 20:02
Asym is easier for a first project and perhaps more versatile. Start there and move on if needed. Provided you have access to affordable material, odds are you'll make at least a few DIY hammocks because it's so easy (at least netless ones are).

MAD777
08-20-2012, 20:35
.... odds are you'll make at least a few DIY hammocks because it's so easy....

Ha! Don't listen to Knotty - it will be more than a few!! :eek:

gt7599a
08-20-2012, 23:34
Then you'll start reading about bridge hammocks...:eek:

Ed