PDA

View Full Version : I have a Problem

ZooBee
10-04-2008, 19:22
I have had my clark na a month.the material around the head gives me claustrophobia and I freak out. Plus it's too hot with the mosquito net closed and the bugs will carry you away down here.I am going to send it back Monday. Do you think a ultralite ortropical would do better and do you think they will swap?

Doctari
10-05-2008, 09:01
Think real estate's motto: "Location Location Location" on warm (HOT?) days try to find a place that will catch an occasional breeze. This will help cool you AND help keep some of the mosquitos at bay. Also, if you are using a tarp: do you need it for the weather conditions? If so, rig it high & flat to allow the air to circulate more freely. If weather is not a consideration, leave the tarp down or rig so it catches the breeze & aims it at you.

If you are traiding for a hammock with finer mesh netting, you will likely worsen your problem of being too warm.

Mrprez
10-05-2008, 09:19
I would call them first to discuss your options. They do charge a restocking fee so be sure this is what you want to do.

RTR
10-05-2008, 12:50
I have had my clark na a month.the material around the head gives me claustrophobia and I freak out. Plus it's too hot with the mosquito net closed and the bugs will carry you away down here.I am going to send it back Monday. Do you think a ultralite ortropical would do better and do you think they will swap?

If it is the claustrophobia that is your main concern than the UL will not do it for you as it has no way to remove the material at the head end. However the Tropical does have this feature and it allows you to move it out of the way. It wont really help with air circulation but it may have a more "Out in the Open" feel to it. Agree with the previous poster that it does help to find the right position to hang your kit because it is all about Location, Location, Location.

Manach
10-05-2008, 15:04
May be time to think about a Skeeter Beeter or ENO with a bug net, something light, thin, and wide to get that material away from you.

rigidpsycho
10-05-2008, 15:33
Think real estate's motto: "Location Location Location" on warm (HOT?) days try to find a place that will catch an occasional breeze.

I agree with Doctari about the location. I took my Skeeter Beeter Pro with me yesterday on a little dayhike. The temp got a little warmer than I was expecting, I found a nice little shaded area set up the hammock and took a nice nap. It actually felt nice because where I was set up I had a nice little breeze.

ZooBee
10-06-2008, 12:36
They said I was over my 30 days(by 5 days) so I can't return it they won't swap it because they don't sell used equipment .They suggested I sell it on ebay but I really don't want to do that. So I'm going to try to overcome my phobia and try increase the air flow into the NA somehow . Has anyone replaced the netting with something with a little more space?

photomankc
10-06-2008, 12:51
Have you tried using an inflatable pad in it? I ask because I really don't like the way a hammock closes in on me without a pad but with one I feel there is a lot more room around me and the sides are not pressing in on me. It looks like I have to use some kind of pad to enjoy a hammock. You might try some of the uninsulated types in warmer weather. I use the wider ones that give me plenty of shoulder room and keep the netting/fabric out of my face.

I'll add that I get better results with the ones that are made up of vertical tubes. The flat Thermarest pads all seem to kink and buckle in uncomfortable ways with the curves that the hammock tries to force them into.

As far as the mesh..... I have never been in anything that was both bug-proof and allowed small breezes to circulate into well. Even my tent got stuffy in a hurry if it was warm out and the air was still.

Mule
10-07-2008, 18:47
That's just wrong, not taking your hammock back. Sorry to hear that. Mule

Three
10-09-2008, 09:44

I experienced similar problems at first with my NX-200 even though the NX-200 is bigger than the NA. Try hanging the head-end a little higher. The instructions make it sound like you have to hang the foot-end really high. It's true that the foot-end should be higher than the head-end, but too high and you'll end up with your head in that tight corner before the night's over. Also, a pad helps to keep an more open shape when you're zipped up. Finally, be sure the little black line holding up the head-end is tied at a moderate angle. If it's parallel to the ground, or close to it, it will reduce head room and make the body close in a bit.

As for heat, I experience the same problem. The Clark does well at keeping you warm. Night-time temps above 70* plus humidity can be stifling inside. This bothered me at first until I recalled similar nights in a tent. It didn't make me any cooler, but it kept me in the hammock.

Don't despair, ZooBee. Clarks have a learning curve. Everybody told me that when I was ready to give up. I had problems and thanks to folks on this and the Yahoo forum, I've been working through them. I'm now doing mods, which is the sign of a happy hammocker. I still have problems to work out (and there's really no solution for a hot hammock), but my hope is you'll find the answers.

- Chris

leepingreenlizards
10-10-2008, 05:22
They said I was over my 30 days(by 5 days) so I can't return it they won't swap it because they don't sell used equipment .They suggested I sell it on ebay but I really don't want to do that. So I'm going to try to overcome my phobia and try increase the air flow into the NA somehow . Has anyone replaced the netting with something with a little more space?
Hello Zoobee!
The heat problem is common in all enclosed hammocks and bug proof netting doesn't help.

I carry a 2 person heat-sheet from Adventure Medical with me at all times. It’s very lightweight and compact and it has many uses. Two of those are keep you warm in cold weather and help keep you cooler in warm weather. Simply attach it to the hammock with the four corners using some spare line. I always turn the reflective side up. This blocks the sun and heat and it can be adjusted (east to west movement) by simply using long enough lines that allow them to be loosened and pulled from one side to the other. I also use a small fan to help move air. If it gets really hot I don't hike because I don’t like hot weather hiking and in North Carolina it can get bad with the high humidity.

I too had problems with claustrophobia at first, especially when it's zipped up in cold, windy weather. But, I managed to learn how to deal with it. Now it's not a problem and one way to deal with it is to sleep on your side. Try to keep the canopy set as high and flat as possible. You can also use your hiking poles to keep the head end or one side (of the canopy) up higher if you need to hunker down for a storm.

Once you’ve made the adjustment and have adapted to this new way of sleeping in the outdoors, it’ll no longer be an issue and you’ll wonder how you ever managed before now, especially when everyone’s scrambling for a place to setup a tent and your not.

The next thing you know, it’ll be morning!!!!

Just Jeff
10-10-2008, 06:16
The heat problem is common in all enclosed hammocks and bug proof netting doesn't help.

Agree. When it's hot and humid I get the same feeling in the Hennessy, so this isn't restricted to the Clark. However, since you can't remove the Clark's pockets, some models will feel hotter on bottom than other hammocks...that same dead air space that keeps you warmer in winter also keeps you warmer in summer.

But being enclosed can suck in all hammocks.

ZooBee
10-11-2008, 08:09
When I camped the last time I used a Pilate pad my daughter got from graduation I cut the bottom 2 feet off and put them sideways in my hammock around shoulder height.I then put my bag in and laid on top of it. My son has a mattress and I'll try that next time along with a more even hang .Hopefully this will help.

ZooBee
10-20-2008, 12:42
I went to Scoutbase in Tunica Ms. hooked my NA between two trucks. I had my gear in the pockets, I had my pilates pad across my shoulders and down my back. I used my 35 yr old North Face sleeping bag. The temp. got down in the low 40's and I have never been so warm sleeping in my life! I didn't use the weather shield and took off my cap in the night because I was too hot! My son and I camped in similar weather same gear but in a tent and froze back in april. I slept diagonally with my face in the net without any panic attacks.It was great. Had a lot of people come to look at the hammock and may have some converts. Thanks for all your help!