PDA

View Full Version : slowhike's end covers w/ storage

slowhike
02-11-2007, 20:40
i just up-loaded pictures of a project i've been playing around w/ for a while.
it's end covers for the hammock. they provide additional protection from blowing rain as well as providing storage for gear.
with this system on the hammock, i have multiple storage lofts in place when i hang my hammock. only one extra line to tie to the tree at the head end.
but for those who use more sag in their hammock & have a permanent ridge line, they would not even have that extra line to attach. but the tension may still need to be adjusted between the two points where the end covers attach to the ridge line to get things tight.
i feel much better about this prototype than previous tries, but it's still a prototype. i plan to make another soon that will be yet cleaner & simpler, but it will basically have the same features as this one.
i'll post weights later, but i'm thinking not much more than 10 ozs for both end covers w/ attachments. also w/ this system, a shorter tarp could be used... that would help off set the small weight gain.
and i plan to use the end cover at the foot end as the storage bag. when i make another, i will add a draw string around the mouth.
next i will make a sock that will be attached & stored in the foot end when not used.

Just Jeff
02-11-2007, 21:06
Tim, you're one of the most innovative guys I know. That's a great project.

Why the change from the last model that looked like a pod without the top? Seems like for an ounce or two more you could have wind protection underneath too.

slowhike
02-11-2007, 21:29
i had the bottom (DWR) sewn in before because i had intended to sew the top half in as well w/ a zipper. it just got to complicated to finish because of the way i had started that version.
that still wouldn't be a bad way to do a winter version especially, because if every thing is taught (like the body of a double wall tent) there would be no real place for snow drifts to accumulate.
i do have a much simpler method in mind of doing that now. imagine laying a sheet over the ridge line & hammock, then you could see & mark where to cut & sew the bottom below the hammock.
but on the version i had at rogers, i had problems getting & keeping the center part tight.
also i didn't have the bottom of the pack storage area right so the pack kept falling to the center.
the covers in the pictures are the same ones in used at rogers, but they have been modified.

blackbishop351
02-11-2007, 21:40
I'm with Jeff...I'm just constantly amazed at the cool stuff you come up with, man!

My own storage system is currently in the works too. It's not nearly as cool, but it should be done in the next day or two.

headchange4u
02-13-2007, 08:48
That's a sweet system you got there. I have been trying to come up with some sort of ridge line system for storing small pieces of gear, something like what is in a HH only a little larger.

Great work.

slowhike
02-13-2007, 17:11
i'm really liking having a place to put everything... empty pack, clothes, water, even small stuff.
although this one is working fine, i may make a couple more using what i've learned to make them neater looking, more compact, & lighter.
i'll probably make a winter version that's fully enclosed w/ zipper, & a summer version that's a lot like the one in the pictures but more streamline.

Dingus Khan
02-16-2007, 06:23
Hey slowhike,
I was checking out the pics you had up prior to reading this thread and was thinking what a great idea for storage!
In terms of headchange's idea for replacing an interior storage system on a HH, try using a small version of JJgearhammock (narrower works better) attached to the ridgeline with prusik's or klemheist's. Pulled taught with moderate weight (nalgene, headlamp couple of clothing items etc) it stays pretty close to the ridgeline and can easiy be moved to the foot end if sag becomes a problem. You do need a pretty tight HH to begin with though, I have tried it on a loosely tied HH and it was about 6 inches from my legs, not much if you aren't clausterphobic IMO. It works well as a shoe bag if you wanna keep them inside to prevent freezing.

Keep up the good work, I just broke my singer and replaced it (free!!) with a 51 Necchi ready to go! I can't wait, tarp beak is the next diy project, I believe it is again from Slowhike's creative mind :)

slowhike
02-16-2007, 07:14
thanks DK. yep, you probably noticed that i had storage weight in mind when i came up w/ that system.
the mini loft is intended for very little weight, but it's "held open" design makes it very user friendly.
the storage that lays on the other-wise un-used areas at each end of the hammock can hold considerable weight w/ no brob.
the storage areas below can hold a fair amount too. the one at the head end is supported by the trekking pole laying on the hammock. but the lower storage at the foot end is supported by the ridge line, but not far from it's attachment to the hammock support, so it's plenty strong too.
keep that new mach singing<g>. ...tim

Coffee
02-16-2007, 13:04
Pretty cool idea.

Question on the tarp end. Have you done a lot of testing with the smaller tarp?

Just by looking at the pics I think that your idea would do a really good job on the ends and let you use a smaller tarp. I'm just curious if there were other things that came up. The only thing I can think of is a smaller lounging space in the rain.

slowhike
02-16-2007, 18:22
Pretty cool idea.

Question on the tarp end. Have you done a lot of testing with the smaller tarp?

Just by looking at the pics I think that your idea would do a really good job on the ends and let you use a smaller tarp. I'm just curious if there were other things that came up. The only thing I can think of is a smaller lounging space in the rain.

if you mean by "curious if there were other things that came up" referring to my still using the same 12' tarp, no, i just haven't gotten around to a smaller tarp yet.
i just have got the end covers to preform the way i wanted them to, so next will be a smaller tarp.
but when i say smaller, i'm thinking shorter, but still either a rectangle or a mac-cat style.
i still like the extra protection there when i need it for cooking, wind protection, etc, as opposed to the diamond shape.
i'll soon either make another tarp, or cut down the one i've been using.
i also plan to make a couple more variations on the end covers, including one fully enclosed w/ zippers.
after working w/ the first ones for a while, i have figured out things that will help make the next ones easier to make & neater.

Coffee
02-17-2007, 01:01
Thanks. I was thinking useable space and blocking the wind like you said.

Jazilla
02-17-2007, 10:58
Slowhike, man you got me thinking. I started yesterday sewing a storage (shelf) like yours for my Hennessey. I was also think of other mods to my HH. I want to put a little pouch for my glasses on the bug net. How hard is it to sew on no-seeum. I think I am also going to put a 2' zipper at the head end of my HH to acsess gear from the inside. I like it when the ideas start flowing

slowhike
02-18-2007, 16:52
i don't think sewing no-see-um is a problem. sounds like a good idea, having a pouch right there & out of the way.
when you said "reach gear from inside the hammock", did you mean reach gear from outside the hammock?
i could imagine having a zipper on the no-see-um so you could reach inside to get stuff w/o having to use the bottom entry.

Jazilla
02-19-2007, 12:04
I put in the pouch and I tried a gear storage shelf but it didn't go so well. I also installed the zipper and it works great. I took some pictures but its Mardi Gras here so I haven't taken them off my camera. I will download them from my camera tonight or tomorrow morning.

slowhike
02-19-2007, 15:34
on my way out to linville gorge sat, i went by ed speer's to pick up some silnylon & webbing.
i was pleasantly surprised when he expressed an intrest in coming up w/ a version of the end covers that would be simpile enough to produce with out any complicated labor, and offer them on his web site.
we talked quite a while about attachment methods, etc.
there could be more than one version and possibly parts (mini lofts, shelves inside the hammock ends) that would be optional.
of course (as jeff knows) if this idea goes through, i wont be making any money to speak of... it's basically a service for others that love doing the same thing i do... HAMMOCKING!!!!!!!! ...tim

slowhike
02-19-2007, 15:38
I put in the pouch and I tried a gear storage shelf but it didn't go so well. I also installed the zipper and it works great. I took some pictures but its Mardi Gras here so I haven't taken them off my camera. I will download them from my camera tonight or tomorrow morning.

jazilla... it took me a while to figure out how to make the mini loft work, but the shelf in the hammock end wasn't to bad.
when you get a chance, let me know what you had a problem with if you like.
i'll be glad to help you work it out. ...tim

Jazilla
02-21-2007, 08:38
Slowhike, I originally made a triangle to go up but it didn't work as a shelf. It attached to the ridgeline with a biner and to the sides with biners to tabs I installed. I didn't take pictures of it in the hammock cause it sucked. I think I will try a square pattern next. I have a lot of ripstop to play with.

slowhike
02-21-2007, 10:32
nice job on the HH. i'll bet some others will follow your lead on that one.
about the end storage... i uploaded 3 pictures.
here's one. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P2210060.JPG

Jazilla
02-21-2007, 14:20
nice job on the HH. i'll bet some others will follow your lead on that one.
about the end storage... i uploaded 3 pictures.
here's one. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P2210060.JPG

Man that looks cool. I looks like a hood upside down. I will try that. How do you attatch it.

slowhike
02-21-2007, 15:13
look closely at the picture & you'll see part of a blue velcro strip on each side.
but i believe you will have to actually go to the home made gear gallery to see all three pictures & read what i typed in below them.

Just Jeff
02-21-2007, 22:16
Moved the HH zipper mod to its own thread
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=621