PDA

View Full Version : All-in-One Marlin Spike?

ninkum
09-01-2012, 10:07
I've got the all-in-one system (great fast shipping btw) and I'm trying to figure out how to get it all setup.

There isn't a big fixed eye at the end like all the whoopie sling video's I've seen in the past so I'm trying to figure out how to attach the end of the whoopie to the tree strap where most videos put a marlin spike.

It looks like you need to wrap the strap around the tree lots of times to take up the slack -- really don't want to do that. I've done it that way in the past with a gathered end hammock and it’s a hassle because you spend lots of time winding and unwinding around the tree, and if you ever want to go up or down the tree you have to undo it all and start again.

I've found videos on the all in one, but none of them cover this part of the setup. If you know of one can you post it here?

This one shows it after its setup, hard to see the process that went into it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PUkopYvzyk

Thanks for the help :)

zukiguy
09-01-2012, 11:17
I'm having kind of a hard time visualizing what you have. Are you saying you have a whoopie with an adjustable loop on one end and nothing on the other? Maybe include a link to the manufacturer page or at least some photos/drawings of what you have.

cpresoz
09-01-2012, 11:31
Are you objecting to the marlin spike hitch? That allows the adjustment in where you make the hitch and doesn't require a loop end, at the free end. Shug's videos, I think the first one, shoes how to set up the hitch.

gargoyle
09-01-2012, 11:45
Heres a video by Stu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKZuj0XFtTY&feature=player_embedded#!)

The all-in-one is a different style of whoopie technology. Normally the whoopie runs from the hammock uphill to the adjustable side and then the strap.

The AIO is upside down by design, which puts the adjustable end towards the hammock, with the small eye being connected to the strap.

No need for the marlin spike hitch.

Hope that helps.

ninkum
09-01-2012, 12:00
Thanks Gargoyle, that’s the one.

I've got 2 trees that are 15' apart, and I've got 8' huggers, then I've got the whoopie sling itself. If I string it up the way the video says I'd need trees about 30 feet apart and my straps about 20 feet up the tree.

Without wrapping the strap around the tree lots of times, how do reduce my cordage so that I can fit between the 2 trees?

If I had a marlin spike (understand I shouldn't need one), then I could put it anywhere on the strap rather than the very tip of it which would let me reduce as much of that 8' as I want.

gargoyle
09-01-2012, 12:38
Tricky.
As far as I know, wrapping the excess is the only way.
Or knotting a loop on the strap?? NOT advisable.

Maybe Stu has a trick? Try pm'ing him or e-mail his site.

ninkum
09-01-2012, 20:14
I think he's enjoying a long weekend off, think that’s a fantastic idea.

The sling is really well put together, I like how you can't pull it back through the splice because he splices the end to make them bigger.

I decided to put it on my recreation hammock and stick with the straps for the WBBB.

DemostiX
09-01-2012, 20:36
There's a thread to the effect of "Maybe you are carrying too much suspension?" That's about weight and bulk. Dunno the size of your trees, but, yes, your 8' / 2.5m straps ARE long. The marlin spike hitch in straps can be right up against the trees with extra strap hanging to the ground.

So, be with those replying to that thread who are glad to not be without instead of joining those fretting that "waste is a terrible thing to mind."

All smilies implied.

the_gr8t_waldo
09-02-2012, 14:47
it looks like there's "adjustment" built into both the webbing and woopies. for thoes who pay attention, that 4 adjustment points seems over kill but then that's just me. one nice thing is that since the marlin spike hitch and the toggel are ellimiated, there's no risk of the loop flopping off of the toggel

SmokeBait
09-03-2012, 12:11
Back from an outing and thanks Gargoyle for linking that video. I try to steer folks to 6' hugger portion in the sizing guide on the order page but some people prefer to go with 8 footer. You can use a marlin spike hitch when the hugger length is too long. I've drawn up this picture showing the use of a carabiner being used (in place of where one would normally use a toggle) to hold the MSH in place and then connecting the carabiner onto the body of the hugger. I'm no artist but I think you will get the idea.

ninkum
09-03-2012, 14:42
That's quite clever. Thanks!

SmokeBait
09-04-2012, 09:40
You are welcome. Hope it is useful.

trailhunterwnc
10-13-2012, 23:46
Ive been thinking about switching to MSH over cinch buckles

SmokeBait
10-15-2012, 15:19
Ive been thinking about switching to MSH over cinch buckles

Please let us know if we can be of assistance with your conversion.